British Hand Strength Championships 2008

mobsterone

congrats to steve for winning, sounded like a great comp, and congrats to everyone who took part. and, what were the prizes then.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• CoC#3

• David Horne

• The Mac

Included were a Vulcan Gripper for 'world of grip', a 48-kilo kettlebell (alone worth £120.00 retail), two 10-kilo lethal looking Indian Clubs and 5 'power grips' (LKB's own new gripper brand) from London Kettlebells, a bunch of great and always popular t-shirts and a 'super' and a 'hard' FBBC grippers via John Beatty at Fat Bastard Barbell, this first place trophy: http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9995/trophyrh1.jpg and a silver (2nd) and bronze (3rd) place medals and a set of heavy grip grippers from Charles at www.heavygrips.co.uk

I've just about done my write up - please check my log.

Congrats Steve!

Cheers Martin. I was seeing how close I got to your (parallel set mind) Euro record. Close. ;)

You will probably surpass it soon :)

Very good 2HP too!

My 2HP was a little hit and miss but I was able to do what was need, thank god, when I needed to. If I am able to get the 4 then my 2 handed total will become 7.29 - that'd be nice.

Well done, guys, and congrats, Steve. Nice lifting!

Go, Fred!

Twig, whats the medication being prescribed?
Disulfiram. I've got to carry a card in my wallet to warn the EMS that I'm on it in case I fit!

It's 11:35p.m. and I'm not even remotely tired; how do sober people get to sleep?

It's 11:35p.m. and I'm not even remotely tired; how do sober people get to sleep?

Lots of late night hours on the GB :whistel

Congrats to Steve for the win! :rock Good to hear the veterans can still show the young guys how it's done.

True. But them thar young-uns will already have recovered. Us old-uns on the other hand... :unsure

True. But them thar young-uns will already have recovered. Us old-uns on the other hand... :unsure

yep recovered already. :) light rehab session last night to get rid of stiffness and get blood flowing etc..

Steve the gr8 #4 is on the way to you. Sent it first class recorded this morning, after work. :)

Sweet. Please accept my thanks. You :rock

thank me by mashin' it. :rock:rock

;)

Cheers Dave. Sorry for knocking you down to the No 6 spot on the pinch list :D

Here's what I said on April 16th with my predictions for the British

Grippers

Contest records and form says Steve should win.

I was correct. Elsewhere I'd said IF Sam did a proper job on paper he could win. Only, as per Chris's comments, an error rather than a lack of strength held him back. Even so both David and I improved.

2HP

An easy win for David A little wrong but I was correct with my own weight prediction of 105. David should have been close to WR form at this point.

Rolling Thunder thumbless

Could be more of a 2 horse race than some suspect. Back when it last contested, under slightly different conditions, David Horne beat both Steve G and Jim W by a solid 2.5-kilos or so. Steve has the best chance to win this but do not write David out of being in contention. As with any 5 lift event those lifts preceding it can take the edge off.

Should be Steve but could be close. I'll say Steve for now. Correct with, as predicted, David a solid 2nd.

Weaver Stick to the rear.

On paper Steve but very close - 50-50 between Steve and David.

Nearly right. They matched each other with one hand but Steve's right hand won him the event.

One hand lift

Hard to say but a record holder ought to have an edge. Steve again??

Wrong. Sam stayed on form for this. Steve and David were both off with Steve doing enough to stay ahead.

One of the key points in both David and Steve's favor is their contest experience. We've seen Steve edge closer and closer to David in scoring and they are usually a fair margin ahead of others up against them. David's one disadvantage, if it is one, is his only allowing 6 weeks to bring the numbers back up to their limit. Steve on the other hand may have been going at it too long having been training very hard since Xmas (20+ weeks). Even so they are both capable of putting together good solid performances on the day. While events, form and records seem on this occasion to suit Steve others are unknown quantities who might surprise everyone. Steve's loss by a small margin to a very late entering David Horne last year shows that with minimal training David can still kick ass.

I was correct in that experience meant me and David pulled ahead and stayed ahead. David agreed 5-5 weeks was not enough and I have stated I did too much peaking on at least two lifts several weeks ago.

As it was I won three and came 2nd in two. David won one event only and STILL came second overall.

Congratulations Steve, very nice effort on the #4 as well. Everyone else, well done!

Congrats to all competitors!

If any of those attending, both to watch or take part, has any photos or short videos from the day can they send me copies? Thanks.

Wow, all cometitors there put on a great show!!!! Congrats to all who competed. And congrats to Steve for 1st place!!!! Thanks for the updates I love to read for inspiration.

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Steve and everyone else at the competition. You are now at a level where David can no longer win almost regardless of the events and his and the other competitors form of the day. Very impressive pinch by the way.

Another note, how many people can pinch 109k when they are having an off day?