Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells

Scott Styles

It took 6 hours, but I think I've managed to create a strong case for a 15% raise at my performance review. I will re-evaluate the document on Monday, then send a final draft to my boss Tuesday morning at 9am. I don't think the application to sit for the PMP exam is getting filled out on Sunday. So tired...

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• Teemu I

• maidenfan

08-14-2006 - Workout 14 - Grip Work in the Apartment

Worked from home today because of my foot, was looking forward to doing some gripping.

Grippers

Singles with the Trainer, #1, BBSA. A few failed attempts on the BBM lefty, weak closes righty.

That's it. I was too weak on the grippers and decided to call it a day. Since my foot has been messed up, I don't think I've been eating very much. I also have a hard time generating the needed energy and intensity while sitting. Pretty lame.

On the bright side, I think things are healing. The only pains I have now are:

1. Strong soreness in my calf, especially if I point my toe while my leg is bent. I think this indicates the soleous (sp?) muscle has an issue

2. A tender spot about the size of a dime on my heel that aches and hurts worse when I walk.

The tendons on my ankle have stopped hurting and I have full range of motion with it. I'm planning to go to work tomorrow, but will not be kettlebelling. I doubt I'll be doing any activity at all until at least the weekend. It's a shame that when my program was going so well a freak accident had to come up. At least everything else will be well rested when I get back to it.

Actually went to work today, still hobbling around, but foot was feeling better for most of the day. Then I went to the Chicago Diner for a friend's birthday party and wandered around the north side for awhile. Now my tendon in the foot is burning. Bah! It's so boring to walk slow.

I also did some finger extensions with rubberbands at my desk. I'm an animal!

Injuries certainly suck. My ROM has increased on the left foot and I'm now hobbling at an increased rate of speed. The soreness in my calf is completely gone and I'm pushing off the ball of my foot slightly while I lumber along.

On the bright side - tonight I managed to document my 4500 hours / 36 months of project experience needed to sit the PMP exam in an excel spreadsheet. All that's left is to type it in to the PMI's painful web interface, then I will be ready to submit my application. Almost there...

08-18-2006 - Workout 15 - Grip Work in the Apartment

Still healing. I'm hobbling along at a pretty good clip and can finally generate tension in the rest of my body. Foot is still weak and the tendon is in pain, but I think it is getting better.

Bending

5xTimber Tie - 1 Reverse Style, 4 DU, failed on 7" 1/4 zinc plated round DU

Need to build back up. Was being greedy before, this workout I focused on exploding into the nail.

Climber511 TTK on Table, Sitting in Chair

5x10

5x10 Three Fingers

3x15

3x15 Three Fingers

3x22.5

3x17.5 Three Fingers

3x25 partials, 22.5 partials, 20 partials, 15 Three Fingers

Lots of sets I guess. Didn't feel like much when I did it. Only 3 real work sets though. Got the blood pumping.

Formulator Extensions on Bench

6x7.5

5x7.5

4x7.5

Amazing how much harder these are using a bench instead of my legs as the rest.

Finger Extensions with IM Bands

Did em - white, green, and yellow

I've been doing much better at doing these since I put the bands in my desk it work. Wonder if I'll ever get up to using the blue band.

Going down to Champaign today and stopping by Gill Athletics. I'll be picking up 12,16,28, and 32k kettlebells. I don't need the heavier ones yet, but saving on shipping by getting them now. I also want the 32 as an eventual goal to get it over head. I'll be getting a 16k for my fiancee's brother as well. The addication spreads...

08-18-2006 - Workout 15 - Grip Work in the Apartment

Still healing. I'm hobbling along at a pretty good clip and can finally generate tension in the rest of my body. Foot is still weak and the tendon is in pain, but I think it is getting better.

Bending

5xTimber Tie - 1 Reverse Style, 4 DU, failed on 7" 1/4 zinc plated round DU

Need to build back up. Was being greedy before, this workout I focused on exploding into the nail.

Climber511 TTK on Table, Sitting in Chair

5x10

5x10 Three Fingers

3x15

3x15 Three Fingers

3x22.5

3x17.5 Three Fingers

3x25 partials, 22.5 partials, 20 partials, 15 Three Fingers

Lots of sets I guess. Didn't feel like much when I did it. Only 3 real work sets though. Got the blood pumping.

Formulator Extensions on Bench

6x7.5

5x7.5

4x7.5

Amazing how much harder these are using a bench instead of my legs as the rest.

Finger Extensions with IM Bands

Did em - white, green, and yellow

I've been doing much better at doing these since I put the bands in my desk it work. Wonder if I'll ever get up to using the blue band.

Going down to Champaign today and stopping by Gill Athletics. I'll be picking up 12,16,28, and 32k kettlebells. I don't need the heavier ones yet, but saving on shipping by getting them now. I also want the 32 as an eventual goal to get it over head. I'll be getting a 16k for my fiancee's brother as well. The addication spreads...

Got back with the kettlebells today and carried them upstairs - 12, 16, 28, and 32k. At 11pm after a dinner at Olive Garden, that was a workout in itself. The 28k and 32k are freaking heavy. I'm looking forward to being all healed up.

My foot continues to improve. I'm now walking heel of the foot rolling to the side of my foot. It must of been pretty screwed up, cause I feel like there is still another week to go before it is better.

you're progressing incredibly quickly with those bells, keep it up.

I'm just worried that my kettlebells will reak the bank if I let them.

:) I thought about that a lot before settling on what I did buy. In total it was $300 for the 4 bells.

$110 of that was for the 12k and 16k, which were no brainers for me. Progression for TGU's, learning to juggle them, practicing new movements. Rest days. Rehab. The light ones are easy to find value for.

The $190 for the 28k and 32k hurt a little more. I justified it by the fact that they will retain most of their value when / if I want to sell them. I'll have use for them eventually and am saving money by not shipping them or going to Gill twice.

From the irrational side, I wanted the heavy ones to mentally aid my progress. I certainly could have done without the 32k for awhile, but it helps my perspective to have a 32k, know how that feels, then see guys like Morgan flipping a 40k. If he can do that, why should I have trouble going up to the 24k for my workouts? 24k isn't heavy, as much as I'm deconditioned, far below average for someone that trains. I need to man up.

I found that the flipping/juggling is more of a technique thing than a pure strength thing. If you time the tosses right and catch them high, up near the head, the bell doesnt "rip" the hands like if you'd catch it low or further out from the body. I'm glad I dont live close to Gillathletics as they'd be out of bells now.

Scott and Morgan are killing me with this kettlebell stuff, I'm trying not to spend any money! I will be looking forward to reading your workout report Scott, have fun with your new toys!

The kettlebells do add up quckly. The first one is just a gateway expense.

08-21-2006 - Workout 16 - Doctor Appointment and Grip Work in the Apartment

Foot is still slowly healing. Stupid injury.

Doctor Visit

Busy day today. Left work about 2 to go to the shoulder doctor. He had some x-rays done, moved it around a bit, then prescribed 3 weeks of physical therapy twice a week followed by 3 weeks of physical therapy done at home. Then, if I'm not better, I go back for another visit and an MRI. He thinks my supraspinatus is tight and there is an 85% chance the PT will straighten me out. Apparently the other 15% is a possible labrum tear. There wasn't an appropriate window to ask about my foot.

Grippers

1x#T

1x#1

1xBBSA

2x1xMax Effort close on BBM

2x1xNegative Crush on BBSM

2x1xOvercrush on BBSA

Decided to model today's gripper work like a mini KTA workout. BBSA felt silly easy after negative crushing BBSM.

Block weights

10 second hold 20lb block

5x5 second hold x 25lb block

Assorted misses, thumb press lifts, and negatives x30lb block

Have definitely lost strength on these, hoping it comes back quickly due to block weight event in BBB.

Climber511 Loadable Sword

2x1x2 Washers

2x1x4 Washers

2x1x2 Washers

1x1xEmpty

Good for the wrists, hope it helps my bending.

Overall a decent grip workout. Going to do finger extensions later tonight or sometime tomorrow. Also planning to at the very least kettlebell tomorrow with my 12k bell. I don't think that will put much stress on my foot, and it will let me practice doing the flips like Morgan describes above.

Tomorrow I also need to find a good physical therapist. I need one that is accessible location and hours wise, but will have to compromise that to get someone with experience. Should be a pain in the butt to figure out. May look for one that is RKC or practices active release therapy. Insurance doesn't cover the first $1000 of therapy, so I want to be sure I'm getting my money's worth and setup an ongoing relationship with an expert. Someone else can have the guy fresh out of school with no experience. Maybe I'll bring some steel and a pair of pads in to show them what I want to be able to do pain free.

08-22-2006 - Workout 17 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

Foot was feeling pretty good today. No pain, but I'm not confident walking on the ball of the foot wouldn't immediately put me in pain. Still hobbling. At least I got to use it as an excuse to wear sneakers to a client visit.

Kettlebell Work: Sets x Reps x Weight

Carry the 12k KB down 2 flights stairs to lawn

2 Hand Swings: 1x10x12k

1 Hand Swings: 2x10 per handx12k - alternate hands between reps

1 Arm Clean: 2x5 per handx12k

1 Arm Bottoms Up Press: 2x5 per handx12k

Box Squat: 1x10xBW

Front Squat: 2x5x12k

Carry the 12k KB up 2 flights stairs to aparment

Skipped the Turkish Get Ups. All the other exercises put limited stress on my foot injury. The tendon tingles a little now, but is not in pain. I take that as a good sign. Whole workout took about 20 minutes. Nothing was hard. I tried to do some flips with the 12k bell, but I am not even close to coordinated enough.

Got the first physical therapist appointment tomorrow at 7pm. Opted for a guy with about 4 years of experience that is in a town on the train home from work. Will be able to go out for dinner, get therapy, then take the train home. Maybe stop by a book store or something. Should be an enjoyable evening, but I'll be glad when my six sessions are over. Good thing I've been working hard and saving my money.

Well, saw the therapist. You pays your money and you takes your chances I guess. The short of it is I now realize that going through a physical therapy corporation is not going to meet my needs. The good, experienced therapists move on to independent practice, so corporate doesn't bend them over at the same time as they are bending me over. This is the letter I wrote to Athletico:

I did not have confidence that the therapist I was meetng with accurately understood and responded to my problem. He certainly did NOT justify the price of the therapy session, not even close. I feel the prescribed program was very generic, and I did not get satisfactory answers to my specific questions.

As a result, I am now looking for an experienced therapist at an independent facility to get a proper understanding of my problem and a prescribed program that specifically relates to my concerns. The visit to Athletico was a waste of my time and money. It also troubled me that at $200 a session I saw therapists working with multiple individuals at the same time.

If I thought I had any hope of succeeding, I would be trying to get my money back for the session. I will have to settle for encouraging others to avoid the Athletico facilities. As an ACSM certified HFI and strength competitor, I take comfort in the fact that I will be able to alert a wide breadth of individuals to the lack of expertise offered by Athletico.

After moving my arm around, all the therapist could give me was "you don't need to stretch anything, strengthen your scapular stabilizers (rhomboids, lower and mid traps), maybe do some light high rep external rotation work". Well gee thanks Mr. PT, I could've got that advice off of T-nation.

Then he had me doing exercises with bands for 15-30 reps. Damn straight I got a pump and could feel the burn. How come I need to click my shoulder back where I like it after the exercise? How does increasing my ability to buffer the lactic acid during external rotation stop the burning I get in my supraspinatus when I bench 95lbs 3 times?

When I started asking questions about the specific muscles in the shoulder and what specifically we were trying to strengthen and why, then moved outside the bounds of the exercises he said to talk about the other muscles involved in moving and stabilizing the shoulder, I could tell all he was really doing was throwing the most commonly applicable exercises at me and seeing what stuck. I am very dissapointed that I wasted my time and money. I know better and my warning bells were going off before I even sat down with the guy. I should've walked out before going through the session.

In fairness, the staff was very nice, the facilities were clean, and the therpaist tried his hardest. I just don't think the knowledge was there. Perhaps I expect to much?

That sucks! I hate unprofessional, professionals.

I can't believe the guy had multiple patients and at that price.

Good luck finding a new, proper PT.

Beeing a PT myself, I hate to tell you this but since you knew this already, here it is: you got robbed!

But in all fairness towards that guy, shoulder problems are often tricky as hell! But if you have a chance to work with a motivated client (such as you) it should be a lot easier. For that amount of money, yes, you should get more than that, but many of the exercises that are used to rehab shoulder problems really aren't rocket science, so if you expected to learn some new exercises I understand you are disappointed.

It's one of the trickiest "arts" to give advice such as this on the internet without knowing exactly what is wrong with your shoulder (I read what the doctor said but that's not necessarily the case), but what helped myself a great deal with my shoulder problems (more than anything I learned at PT school or anything done with rubber bands) was to learn how to use my lats actively in pressing. Kettlebell bent press is what did the trick. But still, seek help from an experienced PT.

I appreciate the input guys.

Teemu, it's not that I was expecting the guy to give me new exercises. He could have given me zero exercises. I was expecting him to do the following:

0. Give me his background, explaining why he is qualified to treat me and how he will be going about it. This guy didn't do that. He just started in moving the joint around after asking me briefly about it.

1. Precisely measure my ROM for the standard movements of the shoulder, identifying any limitations. This means there should be a list of movements with numerical values that can be tracked over time. This guy seemed to do that pretty well, but certainly didn't explain what he was doing or why.

2. Precisely measure my strength for the standard movements of the shoulder, identifying any limitations. This means there should be a list of movements with numerical values that can be tracked over time. This was replaced with him simply pushing on my arms in different directions. Again, no explanations.

3. Specifically relate the limitations identified above to the following problems:

3.1 The doc said I have a strained supraspinatus, there is a small chance of a labrum tear

3.2 I have to "shift my shoulder up and in after doing certian motions", which I physically demo'd, including the accompanying "click" in the AC joint. Sometimes when I get up in the morning and do it, the gleno-humeral joint pops as well.

3.3 Even a little bit of horizontal pressing with light loads will make my shoulder burn. 95lbs for 3 reps has done it. 2 sets of 12 reps with 3 plates on a selectorized chest press has done it, even with the ROM limited so I didn't break the plane of my chest. The burning is a little deeper in the shoulder, near the rear, likely where the supraspinatus would be.

3.4 The right trap is visibly longer on my right shoulder, and the shoulder sits lower. If I wear a book bag or t-shirt, it slides to the right. This isn't dramatically pronounced, but it is present.

3.2 and 3.4 were basically discounted completely. 3.1 it seemed like the guy was thinking "it's probably a labrum tear, but we can go through the motions for 6 weeks.". 3.3 we talked briefly about and he said "push ups are one of the hardest things on the rotator cuff".

4. Prescribe a program of stretching and strengthening, by shoulder function and muscle group that addresses the problems and is based upon the shoulder evaluation. If reps are gonna be in the 15-30 range, give me a good reason. I had to drag the functions and muscles we were trying to strengthen out of him, then when asking about other movements of the shoulder, his only real response was "I prefer clients not train those outside of my supervision." No reason was offered for, "This is why I didn't have you work on those movements."

5. If time allows, demo some exercises fitting the program above. If the exercises trigger the need to "shift my shoulder up and in", talk to me about why that may be and whether or not we need to pursue an alternative exercise. When showing me exercises, it seemed clear he was supposed to rely entirely upon therabands, then sell them to me. I'm sure it was at an inflated price. When we finished the movements and I needed to pull my shoulder up and in, his response was "Is that a habit?". Not only that, he had me doing a movement where the line of pull should be horizontal, but instead the band was on a hook about a foot above my head. "Gee, how come I feel this most in my triceps?", I asked. "Oh, let's move that down", he said. Then he had me doing absurdly easy internal rotatoin with a doubled up red band. When I pointed out I've got a black band I use at home for them, but not doubled, he said "Oh, those are like bike tires. By the time a client is read for those I usually have them do weights. Ready for the next set of 15?"

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd pay $30 for the hour this guy's time I got. It was probably all he was getting and how much I would have paid if my insurance didn't have a deductible. But, I'm not looking for a $30/hr solution anymore. I'm seeking out expert advice so I can fix the problem. He wasn't that, and it probably angers me more than it should.

I understand shoulder problems are tricky. That's why I'm not trying to fix it over the interent. But at this point, a big part of me is wondering if my best solution isn't to keep progressing with the kettlebells. I feel as though getting strong on Turkish Get ups, Renegade Rows, and the RKC arm bar has more chance of leading me to a healthy shoulder than this guy did. I know I can do the kettlebells and have a pain free shoulder, that's already happened.

I want pain free horizontal pressing and heavy lifting. That's why I'm going to be looking for a qualified PT.

Now, after your thorough explanation, I really understand why you are pissed about it. I know I would be. I'm sorry to hear that.

Without MRI, it's guesswork at best, no matter how good a doctor or PT you have, so that's what should be done right away to make sure what to do. That's how I see these things, because sometimes I get clients without a proper diagnosis and that isn't funny at all. Yeah, I can make tests to try and found out myself, but I can't be sure.

The doctor I went to has a very good reputation. He suggested therapy for 6 weeks, then I get my shot at an MRI if not better. I'm ok with that, and he earned my trust in the limited time I met with him. The primary reason being that after I told him some of my issues, he anticipated the others.

Also, I've honestly been looking forward to working with an expert therapist. I enjoy this stuff and find it interesting. A superstar doctor like I went to doesn't have time to spend an hour with me explaining things. A good therapist does. I'm hoping to develop a lifelong professional contact and am willing to invest the money and time to do so. It's the wasted opportunity that bothers me the most about last night's session.

The doctor I went to has a very good reputation. He suggested therapy for 6 weeks, then I get my shot at an MRI if not better. I'm ok with that, and he earned my trust in the limited time I met with him. The primary reason being that after I told him some of my issues, he anticipated the others.

Also, I've honestly been looking forward to working with an expert therapist. I enjoy this stuff and find it interesting. A superstar doctor like I went to doesn't have time to spend an hour with me explaining things. A good therapist does. I'm hoping to develop a lifelong professional contact and am willing to invest the money and time to do so. It's the wasted opportunity that bothers me the most about last night's session.

OK, I understand. I hope it all turns out fine and you'll be grinding in no time!

Looks like most therapy offices offer a free 30 minute screening. Now that I have full documentation of what I am looking for, I will take advantage of these until I find a person who meets what I am looking for. It will be an adventure.

You should make this into like a documentary. 'Follow Scott from town-to-town looking for someone who knows what the hell they are doing'

I think this log is the closest I'm going to get to a documentary. I did revise the post above to remove gender bias and reference to the bad therapist, then fax it to the PT studio I'm going to on Monday. Hopefully should make it easier to get the help I need.

08-25-2006 - Workout 16 - Grip Work in the Apartment

Ran out of time to post this yesterday. Instead, I chose to get drunk on cheap white wine and eat reheated pizza while playing mario brothers. It was awesome.

Bending - DU

1xTimber Tie

1xTimber Tie

1x7" 1/4 zinc plated round, kink DU, finish reverse

1xTimber Tie - Too easy

FAILxGrade 2 bolt, slight kink DU, no movement reverse

1xTimber Tie

This will slowly creep up. The format is 5 full bends, as many fails as I want. All bends start DU, progress to reverse if I get stuck. No DO.

Climber511 TTK - On Table

3x15

3x15 Three Fingers

5x22.5 Sloppy

5x17.5 Three Fingers, Sloppy

Some sloppy reps with 17.5 / 15

My thumbs were already pretty beat up from the DU bending. I wasn't strict on these, didn't feel like it. Good work though.

Formulator Extensions

3 sets of sloppy reps with a 10lb plate.

I just don't like using this thing. I have to make myself do it. All the other grip work, I look forward to and enjoy. If I get 8 hours of overtime in Saturday, I'll buy that $90 PDA wrist roller I've been wanting for the last few months.

Finger Extensions

20xWhite

20xGreen

20xYellow

Kinda sloppy, one set after the next. Impressed I did them even though I was already a little tipsy.

Overall a decent grip workout. I can tell my workouts were planned to account for heavy kettlebell work. It didn't feel like I've been doing enough grip work lately. Foot is slowly improving, Friday I walked the about 25 feet going heel of the foot to ball of the foot. I'm going to have to retrain my gait when this thing is done. I'm habitually walking funny now.

Got approval for my PMP application last night. Now I just have to pay my fee and sit the exam. For me, those are no brainers. I will soon be a certified PMP. Whoo!

Things are going to be busy for me these next few weeks. I got approval from my boss for overtime hourly, at time and a half. I'm literally getting 10x as much per hour as I did at my first job. This is going to be the most money I've ever seen in my life, and I intend to take full advantage of it. I got 10 extra hours in this week, on top of seeing the shoulder doctor, PT, and planning all the shoulder crap. I'm going to bust my balls this weekend and hope to get another 12-20 hours in. This overtime is going to let me afford all the PT and some new toys with no impact to my budget. I don't like working so hard, but the money is good enough to justify it for awhile.

Numbering is wrong on last post. Should be workout 18.

08-26-2006 - Workout 19 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

I've been looking forward to playing with the kettlebell since Tuesday. I carried a 70lb server about 30ft on Friday, so I decided I could handle the 16k kettlebell this morning. Interestingly, kettlebelling puts limited stress on my feet. An important point to keep in mind once the foot is better. I will need to add calf raises to this workout at that point.

Kettlebell Work: Sets x Reps x Weight

Carry the 16k KB down 2 flights stairs to lawn

2 Hand Swings: 1x10x16k

1 Hand Swings: 2x10 per handx16k - alternate hands between reps

1 Arm Clean: 2x5 per handx16k

Turkish Get Up partials: 1x3 per handx16k (only to 1 foot / 1 hand, hips up)

1 Arm Bottoms Up Press: 1x5x16k, 1x2x16k, 1x3x16k

Box Squat: 1x10xBW

Front Squat: 2x5x16k

Carry the 16k KB up 2 flights stairs to aparment

Notes

1. One handed swings actually got me winded with the 16k bell. I was suprised. Strength wise, easy.

2. I was moving pretty fast through sets, but cleans were still too easy with this bell.

3. Bottoms up press seemed really hard to get to 5 on the first set. Then I only got 2 on the second set. I thought about it, and realized since the weight is so light, I wasn't staying tight. Instead of controlling the weight, I was reacting to it. Last set, I focused on crushing the handle, tensing my lat, and breathing properly. Getting my last 3 reps was EZ. Nice forearm pump too.

4. I took the TGU's to the point just before you swing the leg under and are on your knee. No foot trouble, but a good exercise. I'm happy with the compromise.

5. I can't squat all the way down to the bell on the 16k kettlebell for box squats. Just went deep as I could.

6. With the front squats, used the 16k to get an extra stretch at the bottom. The bell is really too light.

This workout was a lot of fun. I felt like I did some good work. Knowing me, I'll probably want to use the 20k bell on Tuesday. Will have to see how my foot feels. The smart thing to do is use the 16k for one more workout, but if I feel the 20k will be safe, I'll probably take it. I like things to be a little harder.