Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells

Scott Styles

I ordered the ebooks from dieselcrew and enjoy the exercise ideas. I really need to nail my cleans and snatches though and am looking for a "good" video resource (dvd actually) - there are a ton out there but thought I'd ask you guys what are the better ones to look at?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• Teemu I

• maidenfan

Actually, just watched a bit of Cotter's Encyclopedia (finally took it out of its packaging =/) and the instruction for the swings and TGU is pretty much on target with the material in ETK.

Morgan - it's hard to go wrong with Steve Cotter. Full Kontact was great and now that I watched some of his Encyclopedia of KB lifting I am going to set aside a few hours to view it in its entirety.

Cotter's DVD is very, very good, albeit expensive. I got it on sale from Elite Fitness for $90+shipping. He covers each lift and each variation of the lift in extremely thorough detail. He also includes a series of programs from beginner to advanced. You get $90 worth of instructional material. For training purposes, I have no idea what he could find to include in a second DVD set. He also has a website with a bunch of free videos from the first DVD set:

http://www.shihan.com/

I've heard Pavel's stuff is mostly hype, limited content. That certainly seems to be the case from the three of his books I've read (Power to the People, Naked Warrior, RKC). While good information, there's not much there. I have to admit, in spite of that, I find I'm still interested in the Enter the Kettlebell book. The DVD samples on the Dragoon Door website turned me off on his DVDs. I've also heard bad things about the RKC DVD.

I've only seen the Diesel Crew do kettlebell stuff in their free videos. I've not felt their instructional material would be appropriate for me. In what I have seen, those guys seem more robust than I am, doing things I know would injure me. It may be their training style is what got them to that point, but I am not capable of it for now. It's impressive though, and I'm looking forward to getting their latest DVD for motivation.

Morgan, I have one of Mike Mahler's dvds (Solution for size and strength) and his Kettlebell manual, helped me a lot seeing the full motion of a lot of moves instead of still pictures. He also goes into some good detail about program design, covering which way to go for the different goals we all have.

www.mikemahler.com

The short vids on Cotter's site is what I'm looking for so I went ahead and purchased the set from elitefts as it was still on sale - looking forward to getting it. Thanks for the help.

Scott, I would agree with you to some degree about Pavel's books limited content vs. prize. I have purchased all his books anyway. At first glance, I've been a bit disappointed with his kb books just for the reason that he doesn't describe as many exercises as I expected. BUT my views have changed along the way the longer I've trained with kettlebells..let me tell you something why I appreciate Pavel's work.

I have to tell you first that I struggled with my back for a couple of years before I found kettlebell training. As you might allready know, as I've mentioned it before, I'm a physical therapist by profession. So I should know pretty well how I should train to condition and how to strenghen all the core muscles to stabilize my instabile and vulnerable lower back, right? To tell you the truth, I learned all about the importance of high tension and breathing techniques and truly effective exercises to stabilize my back through Pavel's books, I learned shit compared to that during my 4 yers of education!

I've now trained with kettlebells for 2 years and I don't mean to brag, but it has honestly worked wonders for my back and I finally feel like I'm ready to hit serious strength training with heavy deadlifts and all once again. That is something I did not expect to be able to do 4 years ago and try to guess how thrilled I am about that. It's not the kettlebell as a tool alone that has worked in that direction, it's the amount of all the little details about technique that I've learned through Pavel's books. I've allways been serious about technique, but nowadays I would describe myself as a technique fanatic.

This post would become way too long as I could go on and on how valuable Pavel's books actually are and what I've learned, but to sum it all up, these are the most important things in my mind:

- it's not about how many exercises you know "how to do", it's about all the little details done right

- learn how to do few exercises perfectly, like swings, tgu's and snatches

- constantly practice high tension techniques, practice them to the perfection

- learn how to use your hips properly

- there's more to swings than meets the eye at first glance

- learn how to breath properly

- learn how to anchor yourself to the ground

So I think the point that Pavel is trying to make, is that those skills learned with few seemingly simple exercises form the foundation for everything. I do think that Cotter's encyclopedia is a valuable resource, but it isn't necessary to know more about kettlebells training than you learn from Pavel's books. Most effective training is allways simple.

With Pavel's technique tips from his new books, I've learned how to do my one arm snatches even more effectively. I've been able to one arm snatch 50 kg kettlebell for a while now thanks to that :)

Teemu, I appreciate the input. I will likely end up getting Enter the Kettlebell at some point. I'm still working through all the details on the basic exercises in Cotter's DVD. The Kettlebells are definitely much more forgiving on my shoulder than the weights were. I didn't realize how accomplished you are with them. A 50kg snatch is a great lift.

08-05-2006 - Workout 7 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

I had originally planned to do this, last night, but it felt like my joints could use one more day. So I moved it to this morning. Got up, had some water and played on the internet. Then I hauled the 20k KB and 15lb dumbell outside for some fun. The sun shines on my swinging spot and there's water on the grass in the morning! It was still hot :tongue

Kettlebell Work: Sets x Reps x Weight

Deadlifts: 1x10x20k

2 Hand Swings: 1x10x20k

1 Hand Swings: 1x7 per handx20k

1 Arm Clean: 2x5 per handx20k

Turkish Get Up: 1x1x20k per hand;

Walk around feeling sick for a few minutes

1x2 per handx15lbs, alternate hands each rep

1 Arm Military Press: 2x3x20k per hand

Lay on ground feeling sick for about 5 minutes

1 Arm Military Press: 1x3x20k per hand

Deck Squat: 1x10xBW+15lbs Assistance

Front Squat: 2x5x20k

Lay on ground feeling sick for about 10 minutes

This workout was much better than the last one, but the heat was still a huge problem for me. I don't think I'm getting cardiovascularly winded, but I am overheating. It's been about 3 months since I got a hair cut, so I'm going to get that taken care of Friday. I hope it helps. I need to get the rest time down between sets to start improving my conditioning. Overheating is not improving my conditioning.

I tried doing the one arm swings and they are attainable for me. I will work up to replacing 2 of the sets of 2 armed swings with one arm swings. 2x10 per handx20k is the goal.

I'm stoked to have gotten the TGU with the 20k bell. It was tough and I lost it on the first attempt on the left hand. Afterwards, the reps with the 15lb dumbell were easy. I held back on the Military presses in an effort to focus on keeping my shoulder tight.

The deck squats felt much better this time. I think I was just too exhausted during my last workout. I think I'm ready to lower the weight I'm using for assistance, but I need to get the TGU's over to the 20k bell.

I just realized two things:

1. My resting heart rate is now 60bpm, measured once last night and four times this morning. I was confident it was 76bpm 10 days ago. WTF? Guess I'm almost at the goal to get it under 60bpm.

2. A TGU with the 20k kettlebell was one of my goals for the cycle. I did it yesterday. Sweet!

I just realized two things:

1. My resting heart rate is now 60bpm, measured once last night and four times this morning. I was confident it was 76bpm 10 days ago. WTF? Guess I'm almost at the goal to get it under 60bpm.

2. A TGU with the 20k kettlebell was one of my goals for the cycle. I did it yesterday. Sweet!

Great! :rock

08-06-2006 - Workout 8 - Something Stupid, Something Smart, a Little DDR

Feeling pretty good from the kettlebell workout yesterday. I had no activity planned for today, but some just sort of happened.

Play it Again Sports

Clean and Push Press 60lb dumbell with each hand - PR

Carry 60lb dumbell and 10kg dumbell up stairs to apartment.

Stopped by Play it Again Sports today, and they had a used 60lb dumbell and a used 10kg dumbell, both for 30 cents a lb. My first though was, can I get the 60lber overhead? Sure enough, I could! After that, I had to buy it. However - it was a stupid choice to put it overhead with no warm up, and my shoulder is letting me know.

On the smarter side, I bought the 10kg dumbell to allow for more gradual progression on my turkish get ups. Rather than jumping from 15lbs to 44lbs, I can now jump from 15lbs to 22lbs. Given how sick the TGU I did with my 20k KB made me feel yesterday, this is a good choice. I'm sure it is also better for my shoulder.

I'm definitely enjoying having $25 a week as a slush fund for toys instead of gym fees.

DDR - 15 Minutes, Average Difficulty 4 Feet

Encouraged by my success getting the resting heart rate down, I decided to bust out the DDR. Whoa, it's fun! And my conditioning is no longer the limiting factor. Rather, the strength and stability of my ankles and feet is what limited the difficulty and number of songs I could play. I set a hard time limit of 15 minutes to ensure I'd play safely. This is the start of getting back to where I can play for 45 minutes straight.

I know my body is much better suited to endurance than strength, but cripes I'm improving quickly! I sort of wish progression was going a little slower with this stuff. I'm getting cocky and taking risks that are not needed. I need to intentionally back off, getting the 10kg dumbell was a smart move in that direction. So was limiting the DDR to 15 minutes.

08-07-2006 - Workout 9 - Grip Work in the Apartment

Not feeling particularly strong tonight due to a slight sickness and playing with the 60lb dumbell yesterday, but I'm loosely trying to do grip work the day before kettlebells. My shoulders ached today, screwing around with that 60lb dumbell without warmup was dumb, and I'm paying for it.

Crush

Screwed around with the grippers for about 10 minutes. Only notable things were 2 negatives per hand with my BBSM and a close righty with the easy #2. Left knuckle ached a little afterwards. Need more structure.

Pinch

Partials with 30lbs on TTK

Partials with 25lbs on TTK

Partials with 20lbs on TTK

Lift 25lb block several time

Lift 30lb block from bench once or twice, miss a couple times

My wide pinch is gone. I was dominating the 30lb block before. Now, I could feel it putting suprising strain on my tendons. Hmmm.

Climber511 Loadable Sword

This was weak today, just moved it around some empty.

Finger Extensions with Ironmind Bands

Did some reps for awhile. Need to take the set out of my bag at work.

Overall, the need for more structure in the grip work is becoming evident. It also looks like I'm going to the BBB2 after all. That means I need to focus on my open hand strength and staying healthy. I'll try:

Workout A:

Bending DU

Full Range TTK

Formulator Extensions

Finger Extensions

Workout B:

Grippers

Block Weights

Climber511 Loadable Sword

Finger Extensions

Exact sets and reps will evolve over time. We'll see how that works for me.

08-08-2006 - Workout 10 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

My right side was a little tight today, but the weather was perfect. I decided to stay on my workout schedule.

1 Hand Swings: 1x10 per handx20k PR

Turkish Get Up: 1x3 per handx10k - alternate hands between reps;

1 Arm Military Press: 3x3x20k per hand

Box Squat: 1x10xBW+10k

All done in 40 minutes, while talking to my fiancee. Notes:

1. The cooler weather made a huge difference in my stamina

2. PR on the 1 armed swings, sweet!

3. The 10k bell was a smart choice for the TGU's

4. Kept my shoes on the whole workout, my feet don't itch and aren't rashing. Hmmm...

5. Kept reps low on military press. Left shoulder about back to normal, right one still complaining about the 60lb dumbell push press.

6. Replaced deck squats with box squats to a low curb. Going to switch to going down to the kettlebell handle or top next workout. Decided the deck squats have too high of an injury risk for something that is just supposed to stretch me out in the bottom position of the squat.

Overall, I'm happy with this workout. It looks like if things go according to plan, I may be getting some new kettlebells next friday at a really good price with no shipping. Hopefully I'll soon have a 12k and 16k to build up the TGU's, and a 28k and 32k to aspire to. Crossing my fingers...

Learned something good from the new Diesel crew DVD. Jedd goes "If I miss a lift, I'm really hard on myself. I think about it for weeks." Man, I plan to miss lifts almost every time I use the weights or grip stuff. I think, "I'll give this a shot and see if it works out." Jedd's perspective is really smart. In the event you fail, either you are copping out and giving up before you should, or you are being stupid and calling weights you have no business lifting. Either way, you should be upset with yourself when you miss a weight. I like that attitude and am going to try to learn it.

08-09-2006 - Workout 10 - DDR in the Apartment

Feeling pretty good today. Butt's a little sore. Shoulder feels a little off, but like I slept on it all night, not like the KB work messed with it. I'm going to make a point to sleep on my back tonight, I haven't been focusing on that lately.

Sent in the entry form and fee for BBB 2006 in today. Going to reserve the hotel tomorrow, if time allows. Sounds like a swanky hotel, fiancee will be pleased.

DDR - 25 minutes, average difficulty 4 feet

Wow, this is coming back fast. I beat at least one 6 footer. I can tell I'm pushing the tendon in the arch of my right foot about to the limit with this workout. Every once in awhile when playing DDR last year, I'd get a sharp burning in this tendon. I'd just play through it, perpetually working up to harder songs, but fear of permanently injuring the tendon made me decided to put the pad away last year.

This time - I'm going to play it smart. Max time limit on DDR at least through August 21st is 30 minutes, max difficulty allowed is 6 feet. Trying to progress faster than what my body will allow is what gives me problems.

you probably explained this somewhere above but I think I missed it.

I have been trying to figure out what DDR was.

It's Dance, Dance Revolution isn't it?

you probably explained this somewhere above but I think I missed it.

I have been trying to figure out what DDR was.

It's Dance, Dance Revolution isn't it?

It was former East Germany, Deutsche Demokratische Republik actually. I suspect that Scott is using some of their methods! :D

Hah, I just assumed everyone knew. Yeah, it's Dance Dance Revolution for the Playstation 2. That video game with the dance pads. This is the site I go to for info on it:

http://www.redoctane.com/specialty-ddr.html

The game is much harder, and much more fun, than an initial glance might suggest.

My first Dance, Dance experience was about two years ago. I went for a weekend in the moutains with the German club. They played DDR all day and all night. I went bowling.

I hear my mom bought a playstation for it now too. I tease my wife because she cringes at the idea, I tell her next time we visit my family, she will play it the whole time and I'll have to buy it when we get home just to shut her up.

When I first tried it, I didn't like it. I was HORRIBLE at it. That's no fun, especially when playing with others that are ok at it. The only reason we got it was that my fiancee loves the game. I used it to sell her on making room for a PS2 and TV in our 1 bedroom apt.

Slowly, I started playing it, and it took hold. The game is incredibly addictive. You get the rush of continually getting better and succeeding at a game coupled with the endorphins that are released via exercise. At this point, the game is the only reason I still have the PS2 and TV.

Last summer I worked up to playing 6-8 hours a week and got up to the point where I just barely beat a couple of songs on the challenge difficulty setting, which is the hardest setting. I was totally obsessed with getting better at it, to the point of disregard for my foot health. I was even considering buy a $300 metal pad that is supposed to replicate the arcade feel.

Risk of injury is why I quit back then. I'm hoping another year has me wiser. I keep considering an $80 soft pad though...

08-11-2006 - Workout 12 - Grip Workout A in the Apartment

Feeling pretty tired today. I'm running on 5 hours of sleep due to working till 1am last night. They say you live the IT field, not just work in it. Last night was one of those nights. On the bright side, I'm working from home today and have lots of time to grip!

Bending - Anything Style But DO

1xTimber Tie

1x7" 1/4 zinc plated round

failxgrade 2 bolt

3xTimber Tie

I'm bending once a week, limited to five successful bends. DO kinks are out of the question due to my shoulder. Any other style of unbraced bending is in. I'm stronger on reverse, but DU has more potential IMO. Can't get greedy, will have to build back up to the grade 2 DU.

Full Range Climber511 TTK

5x10

5x20

5x15 No index finger

5x17.5

5x15

Not impacted much by my bending.

Formulator Extensions

7x10 CHEATER CHEATER CHEATER

Formulator Extensions, Forearms on Bench

2x10

7x7.5

5x7.5

Turns out, I'm a dirty cheater. My formulator extensions on my thighs were not strict. Moving to the bench opened a whole new world of hurt and dropped my weights significantly. I like the tool much better this way. Picked up the secret from Morgan's post in the formulator workout thread.

Finger Extensions with IM Bands

Did some. Still haven't opened the bands at work, but they've made it into my desk drawer!

Overall a great workout. I feel like I have a plan leading up to the BBB2. Hope to reserve the hotel today, already sent in the contest fee. It is taking supreme feats of will power to leave my kettlebell alone while I am supposed to be working and resting. I've got two great ideas for tomorrow's workout that I am looking forward to.

Your training log is incredible! I can't believe you can do so well with kettlebells! Kettlebells are SO cool.

Tell me more about how you train with the formulator.

DBarron, I appreciate the support. The kettlebells are a lot of fun. Part of the reason I'm progressing so quickly with the endurance stuff is I'm well suited to it and used to do a lot of it in the past. A few years ago I was running 6 miles 3-4x a week, at a much lower body weight.

Just working the formulator back in, not sure how I'm going to train with it. Others on the board can probably help you more. I know Chris Rice (Climber511) has posted a power forearms routine he does with it. If you are really interested in the formulator specifically, the only training material you will find outside of what's on this board is on www.functionalhandstrength.com I've never read their stuff. I hear it's decent, but it's too pricey for me.

08-12-2006 - Workout 13 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

Been looking forward to this one since yesterday's grip work. I finally got a haircut yesterday in anticipation of being cooler during my workouts. It helped.

Carry the 20k bell and 10k dumbell down 2 flights stairs to lawn

1 Hand Swings: 2x8 per handx20k - alternate hands between reps

Turkish Get Up: 1x3 per handx10k - alternate hands between reps

1 Arm Bottoms Up Press: 3x1 per handx20k

Box Squat: 1x10xBW+10k

Carry the 20k bell and 10k dumbell up 2 flights stairs to aparment

Notes:

1. Decided to include bringing the weights in and out, since that really sucks at the end of the workout

2. Switched to passing the KB hand to hand at the top of the 1 arm swings. My right posterior chain has been aching since the 1 arm swings last workout. It think it was because my right side got all the stress after the left side. I think this will help. It was also harder on my grip.

3. My clean form sucks. I'm not hurting myself, but it is choppy and bruises my forearms. I "know" what to do, so it may not improve till I get corrections from someone watching me as I do it wrong.

4. I'm really looking forward to the TGUs now. I think they are good for my shoulder.

5. Replaced military press with bottoms up press. I was relaxing during the military press and using body english to get the weight up, which is really bad for my shoulder. Bottoms up press requires me to stay tight and do things right. More grip work is also a bonus.

6. The box squats are to the round side of my 20k KB, flat side on the ground. Deep and a good stretch

7. Did the front squats to my 10k DB standing on end. I think it helped my form

8. The haircut was a HUGE help in regulating body temperature and improving my endurance. I didn't get sick from heat until I carried everything back up in the hot stairwell.

Overall a great workout. I'm really happy with how things are going. Shortly afterwards, I tripped down the bottom two steps of a flight of stairs carrying laundry down. I guess I was still out of it from the workout. I think I'm ok, but my big toe on the right foot is a little beat up. Not sure if it will prevent me from DDR tomorrow. I am planning to take next Friday through Sunday as rest days, so unless there is a serious problem, I will push through the next 4 days.

Dedicating this weekend to fininshing my studies for the PMP exam, writing up my performance review notes for the boss, and filling out the application to sit for the PMP.

Making it public so I have to do it. 43 pages to go.

Finished the PMP book! Just gotta document my experience and sit the exam now. Gonna write up my performance review prep after this post. Trying to justify a 15% raise.

On the bad side, my left foot and ankle are screwed up from falling. I can move my ankle and toes in all directions, but there is definitely pain, it gets much worse after walking for 15-20 minutes. There is only limited swelling, in the bottom of my arch, after walking for some time. It goes away with the foot elevelated for awhile, so I don't think I ripped any tendons or broke any bones.

For now, I'm sitting with it elevated, hoping it will heal up in a few days. DDR is definitely out tomorrow. I may work from home Monday, not sure about kettlebells Tuesday. Gonna cross my fingers and hope it's just strained.

At least I'm finally doing my personal development. I need to get my stuff done this weekend so that when new time obligations come up from the shoulder doctor I'm not overloaded.