Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells

Scott Styles

Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells, Kettlebells

(Read it like Steve Balmer - http://www.ntk.net/media/developers.mpg)

Background

My last cycle was focused on building up my overall body strength with the intention of competing in the Michigan Grip Invitational and BBB2. It can be found here:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=18176&hl=

That cycle got cut short due to a shoulder that was in constant pain. After basically a month of rest, my shoulder feels back where it was before I started the last cycle. It's still not perfect, and I'm still planning a vist to the doctor in late August. However, I think I can get away with some intelligent training. I just have to avoid constantly lifting heavy weights.

Cycle Overview

This cycle is dedicated to building up my conditioning while I rehab my shoulder. My primary goal here is to improve conditioning and joint mobility. I'm not going to set any strength PRs while working out my shoulder problem, but I can get into shape. Right now, honestly, walking fast and talking at the same time leaves me a little out of breath. You gotta love desk jobs :D

In order to avoid the biggest problem exercises for my shoulder, I will not be going to the gym. Instead, all work will be done with kettlebells. I will work through the series of routines from Steve Cotter's Kettlebell Enyclopedia, keeping all weights relatively conservative. Workouts will occur as I see fit, increasing in frequency as my conditioning improves. Once I feel like I can do a specific level of workout with sufficient frequency (i.e. - I get bored with it), I will move up to the next level. A nice plus here is skipping the gym lets me enjoy exercising outside and frees up $100 a month for new toys. Win / win.

Weight loss will more or less happen as I work through my plan. I'm going to eat my basic healthy diet, but will not focus on specifics for some time. Sunday morning I weighed in at 244. Being active without force feeding myself calories will see this drop at a decent clip. If I start consistently losing more than 2lbs a week, I will intentionally bump the calories.

Ultimately this all gets back to building my base for the grip work. The thick handles on my kettlebells will do that nicely. I'll also do some more specific grip stuff as time and interest allows. No set plan though. Striving for PRs during a program like this is pointless. I'll continue with this approach until the weather gets nasty. Hopefully I've achieved my goals by then.

Goals

1. Rehab my shoulder to the point where I can safely bench press, deadlift, and do v-bar

2. Get my resting heart rate under 60bpm. Currently at 76bpm.

3. Get my conditioning and lower body joint strength up to the point where I can play DDR for 45 minutes. Currently my feet, knees, and shoulder complain after more than a few minutes playing. I'm also winded.

4. Develop the join mobility to squat properly. This still eludes me.

5. Do a Turkish Get Up with my 20k kettlebell. Currently at 15lbs.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott Styles

• Starkmann

• Teemu I

• maidenfan

07-23-2006 - Workout 1 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

Nothing but me, my 20k kettlbell, a 15lb dumbell, and some grass. Good times:

Kettlebell Work: Sets x Reps x Weight

Deadlifts: 1x10x20k

2 Hand Swings: 3x10x20k

1 Arm Clean: 2x5 per handx20k

Turkish Get Up: 1x1 per handxNo Weight, 2x1 per handx15lbs

1 Arm Military Press: 3x1 per handx20k

Deck Squat: 10xBW+15lbs Assistance

Front Squat: 2x5x20k

Doesn't look like much written out, but I sure did feel it. I barely got the weights back upstairs. Moving has been a chore today, a day later. It will only get easier from here on out. The is a dumbed down version of Steve Cotter's easiest program, adjusted to accomodate my shoulder weakness. I really like the deck squat concept. It's hard to believe how much I enjoyed this whole workout. Lots more fun than crawling into the basement gym downtown at 8 in the morning.

Scott, Kettlebells are great tools and the books/videos can show you a lot, but I highly recommend getting to a one/two day training seminar. I went to a one with three different RKC's and the little details blew me away. I learned more there than I did from two books and two videos that I own. I actually had the pleasure of learning from Mike Mahler all day and Steve Cotter the second half of the day.

The seminars sound like fun and I would like to go to one at some point. I want to be at the point where I've got some experience with the Kettlebells first though. I don't think technique is my limiting factor at this point. I'd hate to waste the opportunity to learn from 2 guys like that becuase I lack a basic foundation.

07-25-2006 - Workout 2 - Grip Work at Home

Since it turns out I'm going to the Michigan Grip Invitational after all, I thought it might be nice if I trained for it at least once.

Grippers

RH: 1xT, 1x#1, 1xEasy #2, MissxHard #2, MissxEasy #2

LH: 1xT, 1x#1, MissxEasy #2, 1xBBM, MissxEasy #2

Grippers are doing all right. Maybe a little weaker than the BBB.

2 Hand Pinch

Missx95

1x95

1x95

1x105

Well, looks like I'm right about where I was at the Michigan Grip Champs 4.

Then I did some dexterity balls and finger extensions.

Grip Contest Strategy

My endurance is low right now. I'm going to have to limit the attempts and choose smart. I'm planning the following:

Grippers LH: 1xHG200, 1xHG250, Pass or 1xHard #2, Pass

Grippers RH: 1xHG200, 1xHard #2, Pass or 1xHG250, Pass

Two Hand Pinch: 1x95, 1x110, Possible last attempt or Pass, Pass

V-bar: Pass or 1x150 BH, Pass all other attempts

Levering: 1x6lbs BH, 1x8lbs BH, Possible last attempt or Pass, Pass

Axle Deadlift: 1x185, 1xSomething More, 1xSomething, 1xPossible last attempt or pass

Mostly I'm going to see the big lifts and hang out. Should be fun!

07-26-2006 - Workout 2 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

A balmy 83 degrees in the shade this evening. Great time to enjoy the summer weather.

Turkish Get Up: 1x3 per handx15lbs

1 Arm Military Press: RH: 1x20k, 2x20k, 3x20k; LH: 2x20k, 2x20k, 3x20k

Deck Squat: 10xBW+15lbs Assistance

Wow, I'm just beginning to appreciate how little business I had buying that 24k kettlebell. I've got a long way to go to master this workout with the 20k and am learning tons. Today I did better at:

o Popping my hips at the top of the swing.

o Flexing my wrist as I clean the kettlbell. I was letting it flop before. Big difference on the cleans and presses.

o Tensing my body and using my lat on the presses, another big improvement

I still have a lot to learn. Before the next workout I'm going to review:

o Breathing during swings

o Breathing during presses

o Deck Squat form

This is a lot of fun. I'm going to build up to the prescribed reps for everything, then start reducing the rest time between exercises. Right now, this workout took me approximately 45 minutes. I think it could be done in 30 minutes easy, possibly 25 or even 20. Once I get the time down to the point where there is limited time pacing in the grass, I will focus on increasing frequency from 2x a week.

07-29-2006 - Workout 4 - Michigan Grip Invitational 2006

Just got back from the grip contest in Michigan. It was an awesome trip. I prepped for the contest Friday night with a 1 foot long sub and pizza from Subway, followed by a couple hours of swimming. Got a great night's sleep, then Saturday morning had a hearty breakfast skillet and fruit plate before the conest. I was ready to go.

The gym was hot and humid, but I think that was great for my shoulder. It kept things nice and warm. No pain at all during or after the contest. I actually set a few PRs!

Grippers

RH: HG200, Fail at Hard #2, Fail at Hard #2, HG250

LH: HG200, HG250, PASS, PASS

Grippers went pretty well. The hard #2 was harder than my hard #2 by a good bit. Definitely a solid #2. It stopped a couple guys. I think the HG250 was easier than the #2 I closed at the BBB 2005.

2 Hand Pinch

115 PR

Fail on Euro Impliment at 125

That's a PR for me on the 2 hand pinch on 2 45s. I might have been able to get a bit more, but I wanted to give the Euro pinch a shot in contest condtions. I didn't break it off the ground. That thing was slick today. It will have to remain a goal for a future contest.

V-bar

165 PR

Fail on 185

That's a PR for me on the FBBC v-bar. I don't think my v-bar is chalked as well as this one, but I'll take 15lb PR any day! No shoulder pain on this. I attribute that to the heat. I may have come close to losing skin on the 185 attempt, but stopped short of ripping anything. The two top v-bar lifters (Dave and Ryan) both lost skin - an attitude like that is probably why they are at the top.

Overhead Levering

RH: 6, Fail on 8, Fail on 8, PASS

LH: 6, Fail on 8, Fail on 8, PASS

No PRs here. I got an 8lber LH at the Michigan contest earlier this year. I almost had the 8lber righty this time, but my upper arm came off the platform at the end of the lift. Seeing Bob do the record 21.25 lever righty was awesome. Very strict and one of the best lifts of the day. I could have tried 7.25 on my last attempt, but the heat was getting to me and I just didn't want to try anymore. It was hot.

Double Overhand Axle Deadlift

1x170

1x210 PR

Failx225

1x220 PR

My old PR on this lift was 185lbs, in my apartment. This is a huge 35lb PR for me, in a contest to boot. That really made my day. My best deadlift is only 225, so this was pretty awesome to hit. After seeing Ryan almost hit the 402.5, I couldn't help but think of my weights as light. EDIT - The axle lifts may be 10lbs less than I have here. I'm confused I think. Either way, great.

Overall, this was an excellent contest for me. I am extremely happy I went, even though I'd taken the last month away from the gym. I think that month off gave me the time needed to heal and do well at the contest. Don Larkin's gym was a blast, as always. I took a lot away from the contest and it was great for me to see some of the best in the world do this stuff. Every contest my perspective on what's good gets re-aligned, and I come away with new confidence in what I can achieve some day. This was well worth the time and energy I invested to attend. My only regrest is I didn't have the endurance to stick around longer after the contest and learn a thing or twenty from Don.

The heat was rough on me. Looking online, yesterday SW MI had a high of 91 degrees, with an average humidity of 69%. The high humidity was 93%. I don't do heat well at all and must have gone through a gallon of water yesterday. By the time the contest was over, I was ready to go back to the hotel and crash. I ended up sleeping for 10 hours last night.

Having looked the weather up, that really puts some of the lifts these guys pulled off yesterday into perspective. Ryan did his WR axle attempt at the very end of the contest, after 6 hours in the heat. Bob did his record lever after doing most of the loading for pinch and v-bar. Jeff jerked the Inch AFTER 6 hours of contest lifting. Unreal the way everyone kept going.

That #2 is the hardest I have tried Scott. I haven't made a fun thing of comparing 2's like I have 3's, but that one is tough.

Cool log man. I've recently purchased a few KB's and enjoy messing around with them - nothing serious though. I'm interested to see how the rehab goes. I took a tip off the dieselcrew site and wrapped the handles with electrical tape - made the handles nice and slick for grip work.

Great contest report Scott! Enjoyed reading it. And congrats on the PRs! Big PR on the axle man. :cool

Thanks for the support guys.

Bob - I like knowing that #2 is around. When I can close it, I'll have confidence that I can close most #2s. Right now I just know I can close my easy #2 and on a really good day my hard #2 will fall.

Maidenfan - The KB's are awesome. The 20k bell I have actually has a thicker handle than I would have expected, around 1.75" diameter. My fingers just barely reach around it. It's working my grip great. For once, having 7" hands is a plus.

Very cool contest, and good bunch of guys were there. Those are some great pics and vids you put up.

On kettlebells and the shoulder.

I've had good luck with the RKC arm bar, halos and windmills for shoulder stability, but don't forget to strengthen the external rotators and stretch the internal rotators. There's a video of the arm bar over on http://www.elitefts.com in the "kettlebell" exercise description, by Marc Bartley.

I have a PDF of some exercises that Dick Hartzell recommends for keeping the shoulder healthy, you use jumpstretch bands to do them. If you are interested email me at SShafley@gmail.com and I can send it to you. There is also "The Band Man" article over on T-mag which has video demonstrations of some band traction work, and that seems to help a lot fo folks out as well.

Thanks for the advice Steve. I'll keep that stuff in mind for if my current plan for fixing the shoulder up doesn't work out. I've spent about 6 months trying to figure out the right combination of strengthening and stretching for my particular problem, but have yet to succeed in getting it right.

About 6 weeks ago I gave up on diagnosis via internet and comitted to seeing an expert. My appointment with the orthopedic surgeon to get my shoulder evaluated is in about 3 weeks. The doc is supposed to be one of the best shoulder guys in the country. There is a visible abnormality in the way my shoulder moves that I hope will make getting a valid diagnosis relatively straight forward. Until then, my primary goal is to not make it worse. The kettlebells seem well suited to that.

08-01-2006 - Workout 5 - Kettlebell Work Outside the Apartment

The heat followed me from Michigan. It was a sweltering 94 degrees outside today, with a heat index of 104. I did my best to stay well hydrated, but this workout was very, very taxing.

Turkish Get Up: 1x3 per handx15lbs, alternate hands each rep

1 Arm Military Press: 5x20k per hand, 4x20k per hand

Deck Squat: 2x5xBW+15lbs Assistance

Completing this workout in the heat was really hard, and really, really stupid. I should've stopped after the military press, but stubbornly fought on through the squat sets. My form sucked and I'm pretty sure I pushed myself into heat exhuastion. It took me about 2 hours to cool off and stop shaking once I got inside. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Keeping my grip on the cleans was much harder due to the amount I was sweating. The Turkish get ups felt really good, I'm starting to get better at the movement. I might have to plop down the $10 for a 20lb dumbell this weekend. The military press is coming right along now that I've learned to keep my tension high and kick my hip out. If not for the heat, I'd probably have got the last rep on set 2.

My breathing is still off on the swings. I need to figure that out. My form was awful on the deck squats. I think this would be a good exercise to tweak a knee on if I'm not careful. The bad form carried through to the front squats. I don't think I was risking injury with those, but I was wasting time. I need to stop the workout when appropriate. Too bad stubborn isn't the primary criteria for getting stronger.

Good workout - I need to get on the Turkish Getups - where do you feel them the most? Obliques?

Good workout - I need to get on the Turkish Getups - where do you feel them the most? Obliques?

Morgan those Turkish Getups are just great and seeing how you train I bet you won't be disappointed. It's a total core movement and if/when they are done with heavy bell they work your shoulder girdle very greatly.

Another good variation is to do them with sandbag on your shoulder, that allows you to go even heavier for your core.

Scott, about breathing on the swings. I learned to do that better when I started doing them with 50 kg kettlebell, IMO heavier bell just plain forces you to hold your breath and increases the tesion when it goes between your legs.

Do not be afraid to go heavier with two arm swings, in fact only time I felt slight pain in my lower back doing swings was when I was starting to include swings to my training and the k-bell I used then was very light. Heavier bell actually forces you to do swings properly just out of plain respect, as that is difficult to use your upper body too much with heavier load. I find it easier to keep the tension just right when I use that heavy bell and I just cant breathe wrong, as breath holding and rhythm for breathing comes more naturally when heavier loads are used.

You can start by doing shorter range of motion if you decide to give this a try.

But of course you have to go by what your shoulder allows you to do. In some cases, the pumping action and slight traction you get to your shoulders with swings (if heavier bell is used) are good. Did wonders to my left shoulder a while ago as I had problems with that.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Teemu I

Speaking of Kettlebells, just wanted share a couple feats I watched Steve Cotter do at the seminar I went to. He started off with one-legged jumping squats with a 36lb bell in each hand, went to normal one legged squats with a 70lb bell in each hand. Both of these done fast, and he made it look easy. He then did a double arm turkish get up with a 70lb bell in each hand, I don't now how he even sat up. He finished off with a double alternating snatch with the 70lbers......the only reason he was using the 70's was there was nothing heavier in the room.

Speaking of Kettlebells, just wanted share a couple feats I watched Steve Cotter do at the seminar I went to. He started off with one-legged jumping squats with a 36lb bell in each hand, went to normal one legged squats with a 70lb bell in each hand. Both of these done fast, and he made it look easy. He then did a double arm turkish get up with a 70lb bell in each hand, I don't now how he even sat up. He finished off with a double alternating snatch with the 70lbers......the only reason he was using the 70's was there was nothing heavier in the room.

Yep, Cotter is impressive.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm enjoying this workout.

Maidenfan - The turkish getups are really a coordination problem for me right now. I don't think the weight I'm using is heavy enough to show me what muscles the exercise will ultimately work. Currently, my stability in the movement is my weak point. Based on what I've read on the Dragon Door forums, it seems like with practice I should have no problem doing the turkish getups with a weight I can press overhead.

Teemu, the way you describe to breathe during swings is what I think I started doing this last workout. I have to be careful that I don't start going forward on my toes while doing them. It was a significant problem for me when I tried them with my 24k bell. For now, I need to stick with the 20k one to accomodate my shoulder anyway.

Chuck, Steve Cotter is awesome. I got the impression watching his DVD that he was making a point not to show off. I kept thinking - "Now go grab that really big one and do something cool with it!". I bet it was awesome to see him pull that stuff off in person. I can't even do a one legged squat with no weight.

08-03-2006 - Workout 6 - Grip Work in the Apartment

Tried to do grip work last night, I was too weak. Went for it again this evening.

Grippers

Played around with my grippers #T-BBSM. Nothing formal. I wasn't particularly strong today and am much further from closing the BBSM than I used to be. The knurling was also a little rough on my skin today. Not sure why. I'm going to start working the BBSM into my workouts a little more.

Climber511 TTK

Did some reps with 20lbs and 17.5 lbs. Then I propped it closed part way, loaded it to 30lbs, and practiced squeezing hard enough to move the weight a little. Played around with that at 25lbs too. I think the wide pinch gets neglected with full range TTK. I bet putting some sort of cam in the pivot point could make a TTK that better fits the strength curve of the thumb. Please, someone, take my idea and run with it!

Climber511 Loadable Sword

Played around with this one while walking around my apartment. I took the wisdom the US record holder on this event and loaded the thing up with a little more weight than I can handle for the full range of motion. It was fun and I'm sure I cheated like crazy. I enjoyed it, and that's what counts.

Finger Extensions with Ironmind Bands

Used these for awhile while playing on the computer. I can't really move the blue or red ones. I'm going to bring half the set to work tomorrow and leave them in my desk, since I've been neglecting my hand health work.

There's no structure and I'm having fun :) My shoulder's been bugging me a bit the last 2 days. I don't think I kept it tight enough when I was doing the military presses. I will try to fix that next kettlebell workout. It should happen Friday or Saturday, depending on the weather and how I feel.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm enjoying this workout.

Maidenfan - The turkish getups are really a coordination problem for me right now. I don't think the weight I'm using is heavy enough to show me what muscles the exercise will ultimately work. Currently, my stability in the movement is my weak point. Based on what I've read on the Dragon Door forums, it seems like with practice I should have no problem doing the turkish getups with a weight I can press overhead.

Teemu, the way you describe to breathe during swings is what I think I started doing this last workout. I have to be careful that I don't start going forward on my toes while doing them. It was a significant problem for me when I tried them with my 24k bell. For now, I need to stick with the 20k one to accomodate my shoulder anyway.

Chuck, Steve Cotter is awesome. I got the impression watching his DVD that he was making a point not to show off. I kept thinking - "Now go grab that really big one and do something cool with it!". I bet it was awesome to see him pull that stuff off in person. I can't even do a one legged squat with no weight.

Scott, the turkish getups really are a matter of coordination and muscle control. Remember to squeeze the handle as hard as you can as you do them, that's usually the biggest technique issue. Tension helps you to stabilize.

I can't explain it exactly right here what helps you to nail the technique with swings, not like Pavel can. :) His new book Enter the Kettlebell is absolutely great, I found out plenty about correct technique reading that and I thought I knew how to do swings properly.

Only thing that I can say that maybe you have a tendency to let that bell move too far away from your body. What helps me with that is that I imagine I'm pulling the weight back with my lat. I hope this helps.

Edited by Teemu I

Good work Scott! I'm digging the new log - I also do most of my workouts on the lawn outside the apt. and at the local park (although this heat wave is killing me if I don't get out there early enough in the morning).

Teemu is right, Enter the Kettlebell would be a valuable resource for the material in the new RKC minimum for anyone learning/honing techniques on the swing and TGU. If you feel that your breathing is in sync with the movement of the swing, you are probably doing it correctly. You want to do a sharp exhale/grunt while pressurizing the core (power breathing taught over at DD) at the top of the swing and a sharp inhale when the bell is at the bottom position between your legs (you'll feel the hang-time in both the top and bottom positions that may help getting everything synchronized). You can also try towel swings to help correct any problems with technique that you may be having.

Cotter is coming out with a continuation to his Encyclopedia - The Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting Series 2 if the first series was enough info already :tongue