• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• unseenbeat

• Wes

• LiftingKid

• Left Side

Top Posters In This Topic

Monday 1/09/06

A lot of bullshit went on this weekend, and now me and my friend and his sister are seeing repercussions of it. It just pisses me off, and I hate to rant about it, butI'd like to catalogue it, so that looking back I can see what was going on in my life at this moment.

My friends' names are Scott and Keleigh. Scott is 16 and Keleigh is 12, and as long as I've known them they've had problems with their parents. Scott is a member of this board. His name is SGibson1989. They're my siblings as far as I'm concerned, I'm closer to them than most any friend's I've ever had, even one's my age.

It all escalated to a whole new level Friday night. Scott brought home a report card with absolutely terrible grades. He has never been a good student, but these were beyond belief. He went from 2.571 to 1.431 GPA. Keleigh usually makes good grades, and her grades had fallen too. To avoid any problems, they asked if they could spend the night at their Aunt's (me too, as I often do). Even after learning their grades, the parent's said yes. So we went over to his Aunt's house, and for a while it was cool, but it was inevitable that something would happen. Eventually the phone rang, and it was their parent's- they were coming to pick them up. I was already getting angry and decided to walk out so I wouldn't do anything rash.

As I left, his Uncle followed me and told me he'd give me a ride somewhere. We talked in the car, and he said something I wholeheartedly agree with. "I don't know what's wrong with them. I hate to say it, but it's not the kids, it's the parents. They don't treat Scott and Keleigh like they're their children, they treat them like they're possessions, and that they can do whatever they want with them." At about this time I was dropped off, and the Uncle recieved a phone call from Scott's Aunt. Apparantly, the parent's were there, and Scott and his Dad were fighting.

WHat had happened was, as the parent's pulled up, Keleigh had run outside to try to smooth things over, and something occured, and she came back inside with her face all red. Scott immediatelly assumed the fathe rhad struck he, which he may have, Keleigh hasn't told me, b/c she's afraid I'll hit him, which is a yes in my book. Scott starts yelling at him as he comes inside, "Don't you f***** ever hit my sister again..." and more to that extent. The father calls him a disgrace, and starts telling him off. Somehow, the father puts his hands on him and starts daring him to hit him. The man is a cop, and Scott goes " I'm not stupid or scared, I know you'll throw me in jail or have such done if I touch you." At this point Scott's Uncle Blane walks in. He is a very large powerful man, a mechanic. All he says is this. "You're never going to touch these kids again, get out of this house and go home." The father says " Yeah... But I don't want HIM in my house ever again!" With that they took Keleigh and left.

I'm glad I wasn't there, b/c I would be in jail right now. Unlike Scott, I have no fear of striking his father, and with what he did that night, in front of the aunt and little cousin, would've done so.

The next morning his parent's had a complete change of heart. "Oh Scott, come home, we're sorry, we'll change, it won't ever happen again."But Scott decides not to come home, and has been staying at his aunt's house ever since, and may move into mine for a little while.

The problem came today. Scott filed a report to the local police department Friday, and a criminal investigation was filed against his father today. Scott and Keleigh were beaten when they were younger. To this day they've been verbally abused by both parents. This household, which is also my household, is falling even farther apart. Tonight I've got to go over to the house, where Keleigh and her father and mother are, to get some items of mine that are over there. I've already told Keleigh that if he so much as yells at her, to call me first. This is all gonna blow up soon.

I'm sorry to talk about all this here in the forum, but I needed to get this off my chest, and this is my log/journal, and he is a fellow board member. I hope everything get's fixed soon. :cry:help

Edited by unseenbeat

Put in a small workout in light of the circumstances.

Reverse Curl

45x5

60x5

70x5

75x5, I think I coulda done 80 for 5

Pinch on 25 pound plates

After chalking the crap outta my hands, and warming up on the 25's, I used a pipe and added ten pounds, and did deadlifts till I was having trouble clearing the ground with them.

One thickbar hold to failure and a little bit of clean and press work to finish off.

Monday 1/09/06

A lot of bullshit went on this weekend, and now me and my friend and his sister are seeing repercussions of it. It just pisses me off, and I hate to rant about it, butI'd like to catalogue it, so that looking back I can see what was going on in my life at this moment.

My friends' names are Scott and Keleigh. Scott is 16 and Keleigh is 12, and as long as I've known them they've had problems with their parents. Scott is a member of this board. His name is SGibson1989. They're my siblings as far as I'm concerned, I'm closer to them than most any friend's I've ever had, even one's my age.

It all escalated to a whole new level Friday night. Scott brought home a report card with absolutely terrible grades. He has never been a good student, but these were beyond belief. He went from 2.571 to 1.431 GPA. Keleigh usually makes good grades, and her grades had fallen too. To avoid any problems, they asked if they could spend the night at their Aunt's (me too, as I often do). Even after learning their grades, the parent's said yes. So we went over to his Aunt's house, and for a while it was cool, but it was inevitable that something would happen. Eventually the phone rang, and it was their parent's- they were coming to pick them up. I was already getting angry and decided to walk out so I wouldn't do anything rash.

As I left, his Uncle followed me and told me he'd give me a ride somewhere. We talked in the car, and he said something I wholeheartedly agree with. "I don't know what's wrong with them. I hate to say it, but it's not the kids, it's the parents. They don't treat Scott and Keleigh like they're their children, they treat them like they're possessions, and that they can do whatever they want with them." At about this time I was dropped off, and the Uncle recieved a phone call from Scott's Aunt. Apparantly, the parent's were there, and Scott and his Dad were fighting.

WHat had happened was, as the parent's pulled up, Keleigh had run outside to try to smooth things over, and something occured, and she came back inside with her face all red. Scott immediatelly assumed the fathe rhad struck he, which he may have, Keleigh hasn't told me, b/c she's afraid I'll hit him, which is a yes in my book. Scott starts yelling at him as he comes inside, "Don't you f***** ever hit my sister again..." and more to that extent. The father calls him a disgrace, and starts telling him off. Somehow, the father puts his hands on him and starts daring him to hit him. The man is a cop, and Scott goes " I'm not stupid or scared, I know you'll throw me in jail or have such done if I touch you." At this point Scott's Uncle Blane walks in. He is a very large powerful man, a mechanic. All he says is this. "You're never going to touch these kids again, get out of this house and go home." The father says " Yeah... But I don't want HIM in my house ever again!" With that they took Keleigh and left.

I'm glad I wasn't there, b/c I would be in jail right now. Unlike Scott, I have no fear of striking his father, and with what he did that night, in front of the aunt and little cousin, would've done so.

The next morning his parent's had a complete change of heart. "Oh Scott, come home, we're sorry, we'll change, it won't ever happen again."But Scott decides not to come home, and has been staying at his aunt's house ever since, and may move into mine for a little while.

The problem came today. Scott filed a report to the local police department Friday, and a criminal investigation was filed against his father today. Scott and Keleigh were beaten when they were younger. To this day they've been verbally abused by both parents. This household, which is also my household, is falling even farther apart. Tonight I've got to go over to the house, where Keleigh and her father and mother are, to get some items of mine that are over there. I've already told Keleigh that if he so much as yells at her, to call me first. This is all gonna blow up soon.

I'm sorry to talk about all this here in the forum, but I needed to get this off my chest, and this is my log/journal, and he is a fellow board member. I hope everything get's fixed soon. :cry:help

Dont' feel sorry here. We are thinking of you and hope this mess sorts itself out peacefully for all concerned.

Dont' feel sorry here. We are thinking of you and hope this mess sorts itself out peacefully for all concerned.

Thanks man, it just pisses me off. It's like when you feel like you're being hunted, but you can't do anything about it. Yesterday Family Services came and talked to Scott at our school and Keleigh at the middle school. After finding out that Keleigh was in fact hit, and that this has happened before, they said that they weren't going to show any leeway for the father. But what happens after all this?

Wednesday 1/11/06

Decided to combine sprints, olympic lifting, and sandbag work.

120# sandbag + 200 feet + 135x5 Front Squat = :rock

Bearhug and Sprint

Dropped it first attempt at sprinting, which ended up as more of an odd jog, as I almost fell. Go tit back up and finished my run.

Right Shoulder Run

This was tough and felt really off balance.

Left Shoulder run

Even harder, but told myself it was my last run.

Bearhug and Walk

I took it and walked about 700 feet before I finally had to stop, my back is killing me, and my quads.

200 foot sprint

AS fast as I could still run.

Finished off with some one-arm pullup work and thickbar work.

Edited by unseenbeat

Saturday 1/14/06

Reverse Curl

55x5

65x5

80x5, I'm gonna wait till I can do twelve with this weight till I move up, because I don't have enough plates to bridge the gap between 80 and 95.

Front Squat

135x5

165x5

185x3, slowly working this up.

Went to the Rock Gym, put in a good hour and a half long session with Wes and a friend of our's. I managed a climb on a V 3/4 route when I was fresh, and mostly worked on a couple V2 routes on the steep overhang wall. Little rest on these, as I'm trying to get overall conditioning in my hands and upper boday up.

Wednesday 1/17/06

Another hard sandbag workout, definitely feeling it now. Also recieved my 37.5 pound blob from Kurt Lane, Have been GtG with it up till today.

Reverse Curls

45x5

65x5

80x5, same as last time, but didn't feel another rep coming. :blush

Blob Work

Surely my new favorite toy, my fingers are so tired from this thing right now! I'm practicing lifting this without my index finger, which I can do with my right, and I've been doing negatives and all-finger lifts with my left. With my hands coming in at exacly 7" in length (5" in width though, lol) I think leaving off the index finger for awhile will improve my chances of lifting my big 50 lb. Blob.

Clean (warmup for sandbag work) and Front Squat

135x5

155x2

185x2

Finger Curls

Another new movement I'm going to work on, I warmed up with sets of five with 135 and 165, then did three sets of three with 185, very interesting movement, my current goal is 200, long-term is 225.

SANDBAG CARRIES!!!

Started out with bearhug and walk, did about 700 feet as usual. Then I loaded it on my back an dwalked around the same 700 feet, this time doing a squat every 20 steps, which was tough but not all out. For my last set I bearhugged again, this time squatting every 10 steps! After getting 20 squats (I could hardly stand) I put the sandbag back, and hit the showers.

All in all, a satisfying workout. :cool

Sunday 1/22/06

Yesterday I hung with Wes, and found out that after not having touched the #2 CoC in over a month, (and when I left off I couldn't shut it consistently or with my left hand), I found out I can now do both. I got in about four singles with my left hand, and numerous with my right, using a variance of sets and techniques.

I attribute this to the thickbar work I've been doing mostly.

Power Cleans

135x3

165x2

185x2

195x1, slowly working back up.

200x0, :(

Shrugs, clean grip

135x10

165x7

185x5, never liked shrugs, but I think I'm going to start working them a little bit after cleans.

Finger Curls

135x5

165x5

185x5

195x3, probably hit 200 next workout.

Reverse Curls

45x5

65x5

80x4, need to drop weight a little, these weren't easy, was just about cheating.

Dips

10x4, great finisher.

Edited by unseenbeat

Up till today, I'd been sore from trying to match an old personal record in dips, which I managed to meet. Monday I did 4 sets of 10, with a sprint in between instead of rest, and Wednesday (when I was very sick) I managed my old record, 25 straight dips done strict, though explosively. I also finger curled 200 pounds for three reps Wednesday, and did a lot of shrugs with my current top clean weight, 200 lbs.

Friday 1/27/06

Badass workout today, took my time, and hit some current PR's, as well as bringing myself back up to speed in a few areas.

Power Clean

135x5, all from the hang.

165x3, jerked it on last rep

185x2

200x2, so I can solidly hit 200 for reps again.

Finished off with a couple of high rep sets of shrugs, but I still suck at these. :whacked

Chinups

65x2, 215 lbs, which I think is my best so far, at least according to the log.

This is from December 3rd, and I think a couple of days after that I hit a PR witnessed by SGibson1989 and Wes where I pulled 75 for two and 65 for three immediattelly after. That means it's been almost TWO MONTHS since I've last done weighted chins.

42x3

62x2

82x1, PR!! I increased by over five pounds without doing a single weighted chin!!!

Pinch Work

Two PR's here, well sort of. :rolleyes

First off, I was watching some of those videos over at farmstrength.com and noticed some deadlifts of five 10's. Well, this is a feat I've been wondering about replicating for some time, and not having five olympic style tens, used three standards inbetween two oly plates. a pipe and some clamps held them tight, I chalked the plates up and took two pulls. To my suprise, on the second pull I completley cleared the ground for about two inches! When I get around to getting some more plates, I'll try this again, but for now I'm satisfied.

I also managed my first full deadlift of my 37.5 lb blob with my left, I did a lot of holds with my right, I'm really getting pretty good with it, now that it's taking chalk quite well.

Sandbag Squats

As usual, a sandbag finisher with about 120 pounds, as I still haven't added weight. :rock

10x Back Squats

5x Right Shoulder (squats)

5x Left Shoulder

5x Right Shoulder

5x Left Shoulder

10x Back Squat

Man, I need to get some oly tens before I work on that anymore, because althought they are the right width, they're not the right length, so they fold inward like a clamp and the standards fall out if there is no pipe. < <

Thanks nonetheless. :)

Monday 1/30/06

Not a very good workout today, but satisfied nonetheless. :calm

Conditioning

SGibson1989 was dropped off at my house by a friend. He is still living with his aunt, and had just come from his old house to pick up some bikes and see his sister (Scott isn't the easiest person in the world to talk to, and when he tried to talk to her, the conversation went like this: "Hey." "Hey Scott." :dry ) We had to ride the bikes back to his house FAST because his aunt hadn't wanted him over there, and I had to run back home b/c I had left the house unlocked. So:

Two Mile FAST Bike Ride

Two Mile Run

Hang Cleans

135x5

155x5

165x3, was trying to be explosive, working on the shrug and timing the arm bend.

Power Cleans

185x3

205x0, couldn't evn pull it high enough to full clean it. :blush

Grip Work

Did some blob lifts with either hand, then went and did three thick bar holds to failure with 100 pounds. My dumbbell is now 2.75" thick.

Finished off with some one-arm chinup negatives, got some food.

Tuesday 1/31/06

Extremely sore now. For a guy with fairly large traps, I'm learning they are no where near as strong or conditioned as they need to be. After spending an hour and a half playing football and basketball with SGibson, I decided to do another Crossfit WOD.

Five rounds for time of:

135 pound Hang squat clean, 15 reps

30 Push-ups

I managed three rounds, and didn't start doing the hang cleans at a full squat till I had to. My hands got TIRED. My grip never gave out, but when I started taking breaks during the third round, my forearms were PUMPED. Like I said I got through the first two rounds fine, but had to take two breaks on the third round. I also substituted the 30 pushups with 15 dips, which I went very deep on, which has made my lats actually fairly sore. I think I'm going to start doing high rep hang cleans more often to build my upper back more.

All in all, a good workout, even if I didn't finish.

My traps are STILL sore from that workout! :rock

Did my first muscle-up yesterday at my friend David's house on his rings. Post in Goerner Reborn.

Note: Buy rings

Saturday 2/04/06

Clean and Jerk

135x3

155x3

170x3

I'm probably gonna stop doing full range cleans for a while, and move to doing them all from the hang.

Conventional Deadlifts off 3" board.

All pulls were done with speed in mind and with an overhand grip. I did three sets of 5 pullups inbetween the sets of deadlifts, but htis was a bad idea, and I almost didn't lock out the last rep of the last set.

225x5

255x5

275x3

300x3, conventional is definitely my weak stance, 3" block or not.

I ended up doing about 50 pullups.

Was bored and went back outside. Did two burnout speed deadlift sets of 5 with 225. Then did some plate pinching with two 25's.

I started with passes around the body, and managed a surprising 31! I also didn't really feel near failure, I was just getting a big pump and decided to rest for a sec. I then did passes back and forth in front of me, trying to hold for about a second in each hand before passing. I got 61, and once again did not feel that close to failure. :rock I find I need a good bit of rest on pinch, but whenever I come back, I always make great gains. I need to get ahold of some 35's now. :D

Monday 2/06/06

Not a great day for grip today, but I still tried. Messed with Wes' grippers today at lunch, got his #3 to parallel, but was unable to shut his #2 today for some reason, just was a lil' bitch today.

Finger Curls

135x5

165x5

185x5

Chin-ups

My lats were actually still quite sore from Saturdays deads. Still tried though. :rock

With 25 pound plate, a set of seven, then two of five reps.

Dumbell Pressing

42x5

57x3, left maxed out at three here.

62x3, right only obviously

Suitcase Deadlifts

I like these, I need to start working them in once or twice a week. Both sides were worked evenly.

135x3

165x3

Sandbag Squats

Same old sandbag, did two quick sets of eight reps a side. Very little rest inbetween, my legs are very sore.

A little ab work, and I was through.

Just been doing GtG with dumbell pressing and about 60 pounds lately. Also started doing one-legged calf raises, which I haven't done in a long time, yesterday I did a 100 pounds for four sets of 10, and literally 45 minutes later, could not tell I had even exercised them. I think I need to do more volume with more weight, before I can tell anything about how I'm progressing.

I know, and I'm beginning to wonder if shoulders are similar in this respect. I've heard a lot about upper back being the same way, maybe it's just an evolutionary advantage for recuperation.

Yesterday I picked up some old dumbbell handles and a bunch of standard plates, which are weider's like most of my other standard plates. Because of this, I'm going to try and accompilish an old goal.

I'm going to work on my two dumbell simultaneous clean and press. My goal is 12 reps with 75's. I believe Foggymountainmuscle is also pursuing this goal, can't remember. Today was my first ever try in dual dumbbell pressing, and it is subsatntially harder than pressing them one at a time. I used two 50 pound dumbbells. All reps were done without leg drive, but weren't exactly the prettiest things u'd ever seen. Sets went :7/7/6/3/3/3/3. The first three sets were done about an hour befor ethe last four were done. I think Ima do a little GtG like this, with those sets of three, as my shoulders still aren't really tired, tho my triceps are from a couple sets of pushups. I will say my shoulders feel very "tight."

Also did a lot of ab work, weighted hanging leg raises and weighted situps.

Friday 2/10/06

Wes and a friend came over, deadlifts and some thickbar lifting.

Conventional Deadlifts

225x3

255x3

275x3, Wes and my friend quit here, and started messin with my lil' blob.

310x3

310x3

310x1, all pr's for conventional deads. All pulls were very fast, as I did them from regular height. I need more plates.

2.5" dumbbell deadlift

We both did 130 pounds, Wes then went up to 150 pounds, and did a few sets with that, either hand.

SOme hanging leg raises and some pressing to finish off.

Edited by unseenbeat