Trancaso's Log

unseenbeat

Saturday 11/19/05

Another light workout, and got a new immediate goal, to do the Hammer Curl and Press with 60 pounds for 5 strict reps.

Pinching, 4" block

45 pound deadlifts.

55 pound holds at deadlift position (could not deadlift.

Hanging leg raises

I'm continually trying to get my legs higher and higher, 2 sets of 10 reps.

Hammer Curl and Press

I like this combo, because the weights I can handle in the dumbell overhead strict press and hammer curl are similar.

45x3 both arms, strict

55x3 both arms, still fairly strict

60x3, curls were still strict, but cheated a bit on the presses, slow negatives.

Wrist roller

Done both ways with no rest, 45 pounds and then 55 pounds.

Edited by unseenbeat

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• unseenbeat

• Wes

• LiftingKid

• Left Side

Top Posters In This Topic

Knee injury last night playing hide and seek with my friend and his sisters, old basketball injury that comes back occasionally. Leg work sunk for a little while, cleanin too. :(

On the plus side, I caught everybody each time I was it, and managed to stay hid with my friend who was it 4 FEET AWAY FROM ME. :D

Man, you got hurt playin' hide n seek w/ Scott? Thats sad Tim. You must be getting old... :tongue

Edited by Wes

Monday 11/21/05

Very sore today, so it must've been a good day. Routine evolving as usual, dinosaur-style.

Main Routine

1) Cleans

I can still clean as long as I don't drop too far, I did a power clean followed by a clean from the hang.

135x2

155x2

185x2*, most I've ever cleaned from the hang.

175x2

185x1

2) Dips

Started out with two sets of 5 at bw, next sets were done with a total weight of 185 lbs, for 5/4/3/2/1.

3) Chin-Ups

2xbwx10 for warmp

35lbs x6

25lbs x6

BW x12

Also did some overhead press work, went kinda heavy, but can't remember any numbers. Did 2 sets of 12 hanging leg raises, and a high rep set of weighted sit-ups. For grip, I did pinch work with 60 lbs being top weight deadlifted fully with my right, only got 50 lbs with my left.

Edited by unseenbeat

Thanksgiving day workout

Glad I don't have access to a barbell today, i might be tempted to clean, and my traps are still too sore from Monday's and Tuesday's workouts! (Tuesday I cleaned 195 lbs from the hang, as well as an "easy" 200 lb power clean).

Opened up with some pinch work, and some hammer curling, as well as a little core work, tho not much.

Dips

Warmup: 2 sets of 5 with bodyweight

BW+25 lbs x 5, 175 lbs

BW+35 lbs x 5, 185 lbs

BW+50 lbs x 3, immediate goal reached. 200 lbs

BTW, I'm interested in seeing how my bench press and dip numbers are related.

Chin-ups

Warmup: same as dips

BW+50 lbs x 3, 200 lbs

BW+60 lbs x 1, 210 lbs

BW+65 lbs x 1, 215 lbs

Burnout for better recovery, BW+25 lbs for 8

Sunday 11/27/05

Most of the weekend was spent at my friend's house, I happened to put in some quick dumbbell work today. Genuinely sore from a weekend of wrestling, climbing trees, putting up a barn, and throwin' little kids around. :)

One-arm Swings

45x7, both arms, one set

55x7, both arms, two sets

65x7, both arms, two sets

dumbbell Snatch Complex

After snatching the dumbbell, I'd do an overhead squat, lower it to the shoulder, then pop it from the hang. Awkward to illustrate, but actually simple to do.

45x3, both sides

65x3 both sides

75x3, both

After all that, I got several singles at 85, 3 with my right, and 2 with my left.

Realizing that I need a larger dumbbell, I've sawed a length of pipe that my standard plates will fit snuggly, and will start using this one instead.

These long breaks have added the most to my cleans. I've also noticed that it currently takes me a while to recover between dips, with all the other stuff I do.

Monday 11/28/05

Nothing really note worthy, was taking it easy because of those snatches on Sunday.

Clean, first rep power-style, second from the hang

135x2

155x2

175x2

185x2

205x1, was just showing off honestly, the only guys in my weightlifting class who clean or squat (or lift in general :rolleyes) more than me are two members of the football team.

Bodyweight Chin-ups

A set of five to warm up, folowed by two max sets, which were 18 and 17, respectively, followed by five more to cool down.

Tuesday 11/29/05

This is were I reached an amazing PR.

Cleans

135x1

155x2

185x1

195x1

It was at this point that my friend Travis, one of the aforementioned football players, a good friend of mine, and no slouch in the weights department by any means, took notice, and started egging me on.

205x1

Other kids in class were working on cleans, at the time a group of them were working on hitting 205, but all of them were much larger than me. They came over and started to watch me. Travis stuck another two 5's on the bar. "Hit that shit like a man."

215x1, after 2 attempts :blush

This would've been enough of a clean for me, but I still hadn't had to drop below parallel, I was still taking these weights up power-style.

220x1, PR!!!!

"Man, stop dickin around with pussy weight, put 225 on there." Travis weighs about 195, and last year set the school record clean at 335 pounds, done at around 185 pounds. 225 pounds was what the school weightlifter in my weight class lifts, or rather lifted, because he isn't hitting that much again as of yet this year. I stepped up to the bar, but it was not to be... as of yet.

8 attempts at 225 pounds, my goal for the year.

You said you're doing Air Alert 3? I did AA2, how are you finding it?

What's your current vertical?

I quit Air Alert 3 in week 3, unfortunately. :whacked I don't mention a lot of things I do here, because many of them are not my main focus. However, I think my body learned a bit about how to jump properly in the first week of AA3. I have about a 32" or 33" vertical.

I think heavy cleans and jumps to a 32" box are helping my vertical the most.

Edited by unseenbeat

33" is a good solid vertical, good for you.

I wasn't a fan of AA2, I got injured, (actually because I did the exercises with bad form), and it took me a whole year to get my vertical back to where it was.

I've since improved it, which I would attribute to power cleans and squats, so have no fear, you're on the right track.

Injured, ey? Man, I'm glad I quit when I did then, cause I wasn't even sure how to perform some of the exercises correctly. :ohmy

Saturday 12/03/05

Very sore today from spending it bent over stapling wire along the length of my fence, using a powered stapler till it crapped out, then a manual heavy duty stapler, carrying around a generator for much of the 5 hours it took finish as well.

Pinch on 3.5" Block

I went and just covered the block in chalk, b/c it was wet with morning dew.

45#, deadlift and hold for ten seconds.

60#, deadlift, right hand. PR

Almost got it with my left, dropped it about halfway up.

Hammer Curl and Press

Just to see were I was at, I checked 55 pounds, got it flawlessly with both arms. I've also fattened up my dumbbell handle to about 2.2" with athletic/duct tape, so I think I'm making decent progress there.

Dips

A friend of mine weighing 130 pounds went from 185 pounds for his first time benching in three years (he has powerlifters in his family), to 240 pounds. Also, it took him 6 weeks to get to 240, and he is still making constant progress. He credits his progress to using a 5x3 system, so that is what I'ma use for awhile.

Warmup sets: BW, 35 lb dumbell (185 lbs)

Working sets: 50 lbs(200 lbs total), last set was very tough, and my chest is very sore now. :rock

Chin-ups

50x2, 200 lbs

60x2 210 lbs

65x2, 215 lbs, which I think is my best so far, at least according to the log.

Dumbbell Swings

45x7, both arms

65x7x2, both arms, was completely winded after that.

All in all, a good workout today.

LMAO! :D

I just realized that what i've been calling a reverse wrist curl is actually a behind the back wrist curl! BIG difference!

Monday 12/05/05

I'm now at the point that I work out with the two football players in my weightlifting class (one weighs about 195, and cleaned 310 from the hang today{!}, the other 165, and he cleans and squats what I do)

Power Clean

185x1

195x1

205x1

220x0 :blush

215x1, got this on my first try today. :cool

220x1 :D

About four high pulls with 225, I'm very close.

Deadlifts

Mostly just to show off. :laugh

295x3

325x1

335x1, at this point my 200-pound behemoth of a friend kept on deadlifting all the way up tp 375 for 5, but his max single isn't much higher.

Snatch

95x3

115x3

135x1

Tuesday 12/06/05

Power Clean

Hit 215 as top weight, also did high pulls and power shrugs with 225.

Snatch

95x1

115x3

135x2

155x1

165x0, almost dropped this on my head. :whacked

Pinch Deadlifts on 3.5" Block

NEW PR!Got 60 pounds with my left, and 65 pounds on my right!

I got three full deadlifts with my right, and held it for time each rep as well. Got 65 up halfway with my left.

Dips

5x3 with 200 (total) pounds, decided to do it again with sets of plyometric pushups in between dips, felt real strong with it, no struggle at all. Probably add ten pounds next week.

Thursday 12/08/05

Power Clean

Back and traps were fairly sore, so I just did a few sets.

135x5

185x5

185x5

135x5

Friday 12/09/05

Pinch Work

Went light, altjough did manage to hit 65 lbs again, and 70 on my two-inch.

Dips

5x3 with 205 lbs (total) working weight, finished with some plyo pushups.

Chin-ups

BWx3

35lbs x3, 185

55lbs x1, 205

75lbs x2, 225, PR!

65x3, 215, PR!

Thick dumbell wrist curls

45x5 (RH/LH)

55x1 (LH)

65x1 (RH)

70x1 (RH), tied for my top poundage,

Also did some light wrist rolling (45lbs) and some dumbell snatches.

Nothing spectacular, but Monday did manage to meet my goal of Power cleaning 1.5 times bodyweight, by cleaning 230lbs w/out dropping below parallel :rock . I've noticed that my bodyweight is now a steady 155lbs. This probably comes from cleans and dips, which means that I've added ten pounds to my frame of muscle in 9 weeks without doing much squatting (the cleans are what really did it.)

With that out of the way, I can concentrate on some other goals, like lifting the blob (50#) at some point in the future as my pinch gets better, and getting good at rope climbing when my rope finally gets here.

--tran.

Friday 12/16/05

Last day of school before Christmas break.

Power Clean

Found I can do 210 with hardly any dip at all, made me feel good. I'm probably gonna get an olympic bar and some bumpers over the break, and start training this at home.

Barbell wrist curls

Nothing major, I think I worked up to 120#.

Strongman Training :D

Okay, not exactly. A friend of mine and his father needed help moving portions of some old telephone poles to their house, and since they're basically family to me, I offered to help. After cutting some thick wire (crush work :laugh ), and sawing up the poles into 8'-13' lengths, we started to attempt to load them into the back of a half-ton rated pickup truck. Those poles were HEAVY. On some of them, I was the only one who could get them off the ground, and if it was that heavy, then no one could walk with them anyway. After a two-hour struggle, we had finally hauled all the pieces back to their house, and upon reaching their house, I promptly began to eat all of their food.

Sunday 12/18/05

I have made a new dumbbell and attached my old Inch-diameter handle. I have some old 15# concrete plates, with a pair of these and as many tens as I can fit, it weighs 115#'s rite now. If I get a couple pair of teanty-five pound plates, I can start working up to lifting the Inch. Right now, I'm just doing suitcase deadlifts and side bends, farmers walks, and timed holds with it, can already see improvements in grip.

Pinch Work

Worked up to 65lbs, for a single and hold with my right, but it's been raining a lot these past few days, and I was having trouble keeping everything chalked and dry.

Dumbell Press

Worked up to 65, then did some slow negatives with 75 lbs.

Did some dips, but my upper arms are still to sore after that telephone pole stuff to do any chinup work.

Up to Friday 12/23/05

I've been at a friend's house basically all this week, and whenever I'm over their and we're watching a movie, things basically degrade to a violent wrestling match. I include this 'cuz rolling with a 12-year old, a 9-year old, and two 16-year olds all against you is some hardcore conditioning. :yikes

I recieved my rope from SHRUG, in perfect condition, and tied it to a tree in the aforementioned friend's house, as I want him and his little sister to start climbing it a little every day. In the meantime, I've been messing around with that 115# dumbbell, and due to the fact that I haven't gotten any new weight plates, I've worked up to a twenty second hold with my right hand. This is after only one week of training with that thick dumbbell.

Today I'm going to the Tallahassee Rock Gym, as it's been awhile, and I've a friend who wants to go, probably practice on the new incline boulder area ( it's like 45 degrees canted toward you!), probably practice some one-arm pullup stuff there, too.

Me and my friend got to messing around with that rope so much we were too sore to go to the Rock Gym! :D Also pressed 65 lbs strict with my right for 3 reps, a new PR.

Monday 12/26/05

Made a heavy bag using concrete and sand, and a few old canvas military sacks. It weighs about 125 pounds, which I at first thought would be too little. Alas, I've been humbled by the bag. :bow Squats are very awkward, and right now my favorite exercise is cheat curl, hip flip to shoulder, then walk around a bit. Bearhugging and walking around is good exercise too. Wrestling with it in general has left my arms, back, legs, and lats sorer than anything I have done in a long time! :blush Looking forward to more of this.

Thursday 12/29/05

Went to the Tallahassee Rock Gym and worked for an hour and a half. During this time I worked on strength moves and dynamic shoots with little rest, as I'm trying to get the conditioning level of my hands up. Definitely see improvements over my last trip.

Monday 1/02/06

Yesterday recieved my Christmas gift from my parents, i.e, it came in the mail: A BFS Super Bar, and four 45# bumper plates. Today I had the hardest (and most satisfying) workout of my life with those items.

I participated in the workout of the day from Crossfit.com, which was

"Linda"

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 ½ body weight

Bench press: body weight

Clean: ¾ body weight

I had to make some modifications. Firstly, I did dips instead of bench presses. Next, b/c I only have 45's and 5's right now, I ended up doing the cleans with 135 instead of 115. The deads were done sumo-style.

At the fifth round I felt like I was gonna throw up, so I threw out the sets of six, because at that point I was already afraid I wouldn't be able to finish. :ohmy

I sat down and visualized. I went straight to the sixth round, and almost fell down after the deads. I went and soaked my head in cold water from my hose, and had no more problems.

It took me all of 45 minutes to complete this WOD. Instead of following crossfit some more, I think I'm going to repeat this on Wednesday or Thursday, and try to get all reps. I ended up getting 49 on each exercise, along with a few extra on dips.

The cleans were quite easy, actually. The Super Bar revolves so smoothly, I felt like an Olympic competitor on the platform. The deads whipped my ass. :blush My back is so sore right now, I can hardly stand up correctly. Looking forward to more workouts like this one,

tran.

Thursday 1/05/06

My back (upper and lower) is STILL sore! That was a serious workout Monday, I'll have to try it again in maybe TWO WEEKS (not a few days!).

Reverse Curls

Used a short, centrally loaded bar.

40x5

50x5

60x5

65x5

70x0

Never really worked these, they feel good, and definite;y get my arms pumped, but I wonder about the functionality of them. I know a lot of Olympic lifters have used them in the past, so I'll start working them harder.

Barbell Wrist Curl

135x1

Just testing if I could, got it, but it was quite a struggle at the halfway point.

Thickbar work

When I picked up my now 122-lb. dumbbell (Wes loaned me some tens), it felt like nothing! I immediatelly added 20 pounds, and was able to fully deadlift it with either hand. I then went and wrapped some more tape around it, putting the current handle width to about 2.6" after being mashed tight. Now doing work with 122-lbs. again.

Saturday 1/07/06

Got some plates from Play-It-Again Sports today, and found an awesome Marcy 25# plate with a great hub (it's 1"x3"). It's very rough which has made it pretty easy to lift, and I've loaded it up to 40 pounds so far and been able to lift. Pics coming soon of my stuff.

Reverse Curl

50x5

60x5

65x5

70x5

Quick increase on this one, and I hope to hit 100pounds on it somewhat soon.

Power Cleans

Having to break back into these, at least now I can hit some real numbers.

135x5

155x3

185x5

Clean and Jerk

135x3

155x3

Snatch

Snatching felt very awkward, I think I need to start using a hook grip, which I've never done.

95x5 (hang)

All in all, a good day.

Edited by unseenbeat