• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• stranger

• unseenbeat

• FrankyBoy

Good to see you back at it.

Thank you! I'm sort of experimenting to see if I can get my deadlift back up while continuing to train jiu jitsu.

When im training jiujitsu full-time, I usuallyme lift heavy twice a week without any problems. It can be tough though, especially as we age. My dad rolls 6 times a week and always tells me about his aches and pains. I find my body can handle it better if i focus on recovery. Intense stretching, sauna/jacuzzi, light cardio etc. Sadly, im not training jiujitsu full time right now, but ill be hitting the mat as soon as i get back.

How long have you been training bjj?

When im training jiujitsu full-time, I usuallyme lift heavy twice a week without any problems. It can be tough though, especially as we age. My dad rolls 6 times a week and always tells me about his aches and pains. I find my body can handle it better if i focus on recovery. Intense stretching, sauna/jacuzzi, light cardio etc. Sadly, im not training jiujitsu full time right now, but ill be hitting the mat as soon as i get back.

How long have you been training bjj?

I've been training for six months, attending about twice weekly on average. My strength has suffered considerably, but I think with a little focus I can start getting my lifts back to their former glory. And I do appreciate your advice!

12-01-2006

Deadlifts - No Belt

245x5

335x3

385x5

415x3

465x1

Barbell Rows

255x5

You can definately pursue -- and achieve -- heavy lifting goals while incorporating jiujitsu. I would catagorize jiujitsu as intense cardio, but if you keep a good schedule and incorporate active recovery itll work in your favor.

Gread deadlifting Eric!

Thanks, Franky!

12-03-2006

Squats

245x3

335x1

375x3

12-01-2006

Deadlifts - No Belt

245x5

335x3

385x5

415x3

465x1

Barbell Rows

255x5

strong pullin eric, especially with all of the conditioining you have been up to

12-01-2006

Deadlifts - No Belt

245x5

335x3

385x5

415x3

465x1

Barbell Rows

255x5

strong pullin eric, especially with all of the conditioining you have been up to

Thanks, Burner! Even though I'm slowly getting better at jiu jitsu, and my overall conditioning has improved a bunch, I just can't escape that nagging feeling of weakness! I guess I'm just a strength junkie. I'm really tempted to quit grappling. In fact, if I can't get my deads back up over 600 pounds, I probably will.

Since the deadlift race thread is no more, Eric, do ya wanna race? :)

I can race to a 500, you can race to 650+, whatever. I want some motivation to hit 500 pounds.

I can race to a 500, you can race to 650+, whatever. I want some motivation to hit 500 pounds.

I'm all over this! What's your current best? I wont' be hitting any max singles outside of a meet, but I'll glady shoot for a triple with 575.

You guys can deadlift a lot! Nice work Eric.

BTW, how do you perform the "barbell row" ? Is it the same as Pendlay Row? Do you keep your back parallel to the floor? That's how I do it.

I'm all over this! What's your current best? I wont' be hitting any max singles outside of a meet, but I'll glady shoot for a triple with 575.

That's the thing Eric, I'm probably about 100 pounds away. Perhaps a lower goal? I pulled 370 the other day quite easily, which was my old PR single. The thing is, I'm focusing right now on deadlifting with a nice arched upper back, like when I clean or snatch. I can pull more with a rounded back, but it wouldn't help my other lifts.

So maybe If I shoot for a bit lower goal, depending on how close you are to 575 for three? I can see myself, if I pull regularly, to make 500 within six months, that's entirely doable. So maybe a lower goal?

Edited by unseenbeat

Tim, how about 450?

hey can i get in this? the most i ever pulled was 365 then shortly after i hurt my back and didnt lift for a good while. the best i have done so far is 315x3 or 335x1. i want to get up to about 450 some time before june and i think that if i do this race with yous it will help motivate me more.

also i know i can do more then 335 right now but ill hurt myself because of the techinque (sp?) i use, so since i started deads again i use alot better form.

Chaz, yes, it would be great if you would join us. We'll all benefit from added incentive.

Eric

Nice job man! I guess that only time a man can keep a diary is when it is on deadlifting.

Are you still shooting for the evil number 666?

Good luck!

Eric

Nice job man! I guess that only time a man can keep a diary is when it is on deadlifting.

Are you still shooting for the evil number 666?

Good luck!

Lol, and 450 it is.

Had a good session today. I'm feeling good about pulling more, I think I'm gonna pull from the ground every two weeks, and in between those sessions either just go heavier on my oly pulls or hit 18" deads, since my sticking point is around 20-21" (a little above the knees). Today's pull stuff was simply

Conventional Deadlift, from ground

205x3

245x3

285x2

315x2

345x2

375x1, PR for single

385x1, lost my arch here, PR

400x1, Great PR!

410x0, stuck above the knees.

While my back was bent, my legs weren't completely straight, and when the bar came to my knees I straightened up quickly. The 400 was a very fast pull. I got it on video, but it's in quicktime format. Eventually I'll convert it, but by then I'll probablyu be hitting bigger pulls.

Pullups

BWx5

Two sets of three with 25 extra pounds, pronated grip.

Two sets of five with 25 extra pounds, supinated grip.

Finished with some bar hangs.

That was it. Would've done some front squats but quads were already tired, guess I'll just hit them on Friday like usual.

Congrats on all those PRs, Tim! You'll be hitting 450 in short order!

Mike, I can't decide if I want to bulk up to 220 or just try and increase my personal best at my current weight class (628 @ 198). I'm kinda leaning towards the latter. I don't want to perform any max efforts on deads outside of a meet, so I'll shoot for sub maximal 545 triple at about 205 pounds bodyweight.

Eric, are you talking about breaking your Texas state deadlifting record?

:rock That totally Kicks A-- :rock

damn tim 400! wtf

12-08-2006

Deadlifts - No Belt

245x5

335x3

395x5

425x3

475x1

Barbell Rows

255x5

Shrugs