A Deadlift Diary

EricMilfeld

Tonight I've started a new deadlift routine in hopes of resurrecting my dead deadlift. I've dropped squats altogether for the first time in over two decades, and have replaced them with what I'll call squatdeads. Standing on two one-hundred pound plates, I squat down and grap the bar and assume a very deep position (legs parallel to floor), and while maintaining as straight a back as my flexibility allows, I deadlift the bar using primarily quads, glutes, and hips. But I quicly realised this movement gives one heck of a pump to my erectors, even more so than stiff legged deads. Basically I'm forcing myself into the most disadvantageous leverage position for my particular build. I'll do these without a belt and will try and keep these in the 90% range of max capability.

Then it's off to a triple with my regular deadlifts, with a faded royal blue Bob Morris lifting belt. I'll shoot for ten pound increases for each of my "once every six days" workouts. I'll cycle for maybe four to six sessions, ending with a max triple, before breakin' it down and starting over again. I'm a very intuitive lifter, so rep schemes and weight selections are all subject to change based on mood and biofeedback.

To wrap up my brief but intense sessions, I'll do a set of barbell rows for a set of five. With a straight back, I'll let my arms hang down with the bar until it's level with the bottom of my kneecaps, and then lift it nice and strict until the bar contacts my stomach. This will hit my traps in addition to my lats, in a way that will have good carryover effect for my lockouts.

So here's what I did tonight after work:

245 x 7 regular deads

276 x 9 squatdeads

506 x 3 regular deads (I could tell I was out of shape on what is normally a given for me - the last few inches of the lockout. Apparently, bodyweight pullups don't cut it for lockout power. This will be corrected in no time.)

225 x 5 rows (Again, felt much weaker than I've been in the past on this lift, from doing nothing but pullups for the last several months.)

bodyweight: 197

There's usually a WABDL meet in the Dallas area around April, so I'll keep my sight on this contest for motivation. A couple of years ago I pulled a 628 at this meet, so a 633 would be pleasing, but 650 sounds so much more impressive!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• stranger

• unseenbeat

• FrankyBoy

Eric,

I'm pleased you're posting your workouts here - I am always interested in deadlift-centred routines.

A question though - how high are your 2-100 pound plates?

Thanks

Edited by The Mac

Mac,

The hundreds measure 4 1/4" together.

That must be pretty close to the top of your instep?

Yes. I can feel the bar on the top of my shoes if I position my shins against the bar, which I am doing.

Nice lifting Eric.

I love the D.L.'s off a block also.I use a 3 1/2"block when i do them.I'll do those for a while and then go to the floor.I think they really help that very first part of the deads to get the bar moveing.I have a workout centered around the D.L. every Sat.i love em.Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks, Steve. My weak link is at the knees to a few inches above. I'm doing the block deads as a replacement for conventional squats. Additionally, I'm hoping the higher reps I'm performing with this movement, minus a belt, will jumpstart my regular deadlift. I'm basically looking for something different for different's sake to combat the staleness I've been experiencing. I'll know in a few more workouts if I'm on the right track. I'm optimistic. And that's half the battle with deads.

Do you have any immediate goals for your pulls, Steve?

Thanks, Steve.  My weak link is at the knees to a few inches above.  I'm doing the block deads as a replacement for conventional squats.  Additionally, I'm hoping the higher reps I'm performing with this movement, minus a belt, will jumpstart my regular deadlift.  I'm basically looking for something different for different's sake to combat the staleness I've been experiencing.  I'll know in a few more workouts if I'm on the right track.  I'm optimistic.  And that's half the battle with deads.

Do you have any immediate goals for your pulls, Steve?

Have you considered doing isometric work in your "sticking point"?

I have also a weak start, and I'll be adding 2 isometric sets to get that starting strength. Just basically some warm up, then one subfailure isometric hold at the weakest position and then one full out failure hold for 5-20 seconds (when I hit about 15 seconds or more I add weight).

Also, I just started trying out Progressive Distance Training: http://www.strongerman.com/progressive.html

and I'm eager to see what the results will be :)

I appreciate the link, Nagual. It's been a while since I've visited Bud's site. I'm currently in experimental mode of thinking, so the distance training is definitely something I'll want to experiment with after I make some gains on my current routine. I hope. Anyways, heavy lockouts never seemed to help me, but that routine Reinhoudt used sounds interesting. I don't have a power rack, but I could make do with boards and plates and such. I think simply shocking my body with vastly different routines, while not straying too far from the regular deads will prove helpful. I'm definitely not one of those who can increase his deadlift by not deadlifting.

Isometrics sounds promising as well. Overtraining I'm sure would be ridiculously easy on a routine like that. But if you can maintain a hold on the bar without breaking form there's probably a lot of potential for gain. Let me know how it works for you.

Eric,

Back extensions with weight really helped me a lot years ago.

I would do those on occasion when I was frequenting commercial gyms, but I'm currently not set up for them in my garage. Although, doing them off my bench press might just be enough range of motion to be effective. It's funny, the same burn I get from extensions I feel when I do my "squatdeads". It has to do with maintaining a straight back apparently. Thanks.

Hey Eric,

No more meets for me this year.I pulled a easy 524 in a D.L. meet last July.600 is a goal i have set for sometime in 2005.My all time D.lift twenty years ago was 622.So if i can come close to that at age 47 i'll consider it an accomplishment.

You'll get it, Steve! I've gone as much as eight years training for a PR before. My problem was that I didn't specifically focus on breaking my PR, with that all or nothing attitude. I'm trying to rekindle it. Let's do it!!!

Eric, it's great reading this log. Very inspirational. You've got a phenomenal deadlift. I'd love to see you post a lift of 650 or more. :rock

Thank you Ben. Here's tonight's workout:

11-1-04

Regular Deads 245x5

Squatdeads 286x9 (Wow what an erector and quad burn! I struggled to maintain form, but did so. I'll probably keep the same weight on this exercise next week.)

Regular Deads 521x3 (This was the first time in a long while that my deads felt so "springy" off the floor. My lower back was ultra stiff from the squat deads, but it's as if it somehow helped me on my regualar deads. Decided to jump 15 pounds from last week, cuz I'm impatient, and I'm glad I did. A couple more jumps in weight like that and I'll be back in top form.)

Barbell Rows 225x7

Shrugs 425x7 (What the heck. I don't intend to make these a staple, but figured my traps could use a little boost right about now.)

Bodyweight: 198

11-7-04

Regular Deads 245x5

Squatdeads 306x5 (These felt strong tonight. I think I'm starting to adapt to this new movement.)

Regular Deads 536x3 (Not super easy, but solid, is how I'd describe these reps. I'm thinking maybe 551 next week, and then maybe I'll start a new cycle shooting for a 561 triple. This will be PR territory at my current bodyweight. :) )

Barbell Rows 235x5 (These felt good and strong too!)

bodyweight: 197

Great thread Eric, the DL is my favorite lift and it's very inspiring seeing the weight you're pulling. Keep up the good work, 650 will be yours.

And crush that MM1 while you're it! :rock

Chris

Thanks Chris! It's great to have the support of a fellow deadlift devotee. :)

eric, man this is pretty awesome so far...the deadlift is also my favorite lift, bar none......when you get 650, post a nice pic or video for us.....just try not to bend the bar bell like you bend everything else! i have faith in you!

Eric-

Due to recent back problems, I have changed my form a ton. I now squat low, and pull the bar into my shins immediately. It is almost like I am falling back but the bar doesnt allow it. This is keep my back arched hard and stopping all back pain. The pain down the legs was scaring me. It is now gone. Sure, my weights went down, but it will be worth it in the long run. I am feeling this a ton in my hams now-more then ever before.

Also, you might want to try multiple singles instead of reps. Reps kill me anymore. I am way out of position, and the more I do, the sloppier I get. I find it better to do 5-10 singles. That is what a max deadlift is anyway right? Why strain your back on the lowering phase? I now pull the single, and pretty much let it fall back to earth, rest 1 minute, then repeat.

My goal is 700. I hope we each hit our weights!

Rick Walker :rock

Mossman, We enlightened strength athletes recognize that the Deadlift rules. :rock If I pull atleast 633 at my next meet a video will be posted. If I somehow manage 650 a video of me cracking my head as I attempt a backflip will also be posted.

Rick, You speak words of wisdom. I tried singles based programs in the past with mediocre results, but I'm now thinking that I didn't give it enough time. And perhaps I didn't approach it with the right mindset. You know what, during my next workout I'm going to make a 20 pound jump to 556 to tie my record for a triple at a sub-200 pound bodyweight, and then I'm taking your advice and will pursue a program based on singles. I'm gonna make it pay dividends! I'm pumped just thinking about it. Vince Anello swore by that program you outlined.

And man would I love to see you pull 700! Do you think you'll aim for it as a 220 pound competitor?

When you are training the singles, you are pretty much running at 100% for all 10 of them. So, if you are tripling 556, I would expect you to do the singles at 580 or more.

I am not in any hury to get to 700. I am going to play it smart this go round, and get to my goal weight healthy. Back pain sucks. I never experienced it until about 2 weeks out from GGC. Too much bowing. Eventually, something has got to give.

I am using 4 week waves. Week 1 I do 10 singles regular deadlift. Week 2, I move into the cage and do 10 singles of reverse band deadlifts from the floor (attach bands to the top of the cage, then stretch them down around the bar so the weight is deloaded off the floor, then gets harder and harder as you pull it up). Week 3 will be 10 singles of what you call "squatdeads" off a 4 inch block. Week 4 will be 10 singles of deadlifts with chains/bands attached. Week 5-back to regular deadlifts. The idea is to see how much I add every 5th week. Goal is 30 pounds a pop.

I am trying to get back to 200 or under. So, I hope to get 700 while under 200.

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks for the ideas, Rick. I'm probably going to build a hybrid routine based on yours. In the past I did singles with only about 85% of my max, using short rest periods between my attempts. Are you doing near max singles with only a one minute rest? That I know I couldn't do. I'll have to find a happy medium.

700 at 198, doubly impressive impressive!!

eric, you have a phenomenal deadlift! I am trying to bring mine up over the 500 mark, I have a log here, and Id love it if you could throw in some suggestions for me.