A Deadlift Diary

EricMilfeld

I squeeze my fingers as tightly as I can with my thumb, but as I lift the bar my grip will open up a bit. Maybe your grip is opening to the point where your thumb is no longer much involved? I'd try some heavy holds in the power rack or one handed deadlifts.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• stranger

• unseenbeat

• FrankyBoy

11-25-04

Deadlifts

245x5

335x3

445x1

561x1x5 (The fourth was tough, so I dug deep and made the last as easy as the first.)

Block Deadlifts

346x3 (I've decided to continue with the 4 1/4" height under my feet, but am loosening up a bit on my form. I still strive for a straight back, but I don't sit down quite so far, hence the reason I'm no longer calling these squatdeads. And I'll continue without a belt.)

Barbell Rows

245x5

Bodyweight: still 196

12-01-04

Deadlifts

245x5

335x3

445x1

576x1x3

Block Deadlifts

356x3

Barbell Rows

245x5

bodyweight: 197

The three singles felt tougher than I would like. I burnout so quickly when I perform workouts within 100 pounds of my max single. I haven't decided what I want to attempt next week as of yet.

Great workout Eric. If I'm not on a honeymoon in March I'll have to come out and watch you blow away the field.

How is your lower back holding up? When I go deep on deadlifts like your block dead lifts I get some strain on the mutifidus (sp?) right in the middle of my pelvis.

Keep it up though and you'll be bending bars, and not the seven inch variety. lol

Thanks, Weldon!

Honeymoon? So she IS the one. That's wonderful!

My back feels pretty good, but that doesn't mean I'm not walking a fine line between getting stronger and burning out. But I'm staying positive and using this time as a bit of an experimentation phase to see if I can find a cycle to give me a new PR.

Eric,

you are making a steady progress here.

Thats very impressive. :bow

Eric, are you doing any other work during the week such as squats, stiff leg deadlifts, goodmornings? I've been deadlifting saturday and squating/stiff leg deads on tuesday.

hi eric as hard as you are training you are bound to pull a personal best. :shifty 600?

Thanks, Franky!

Deaner, no, the only other lifts I'm performing are bench presses and barbell curls.

Dan, my best competition pull at 198 is 628, but that was performed with a tight suit which gave me 15 pounds. So if I can pull 616 without a suit, I would consider that a PR for sure. I never train with suit, by the way. I'm hoping for atleast 633 at my meet on March 26th. Maybe I'll give 601 a tug next workout if my last warmup feels right. One thing I do have to be optimistic about is the fact that my weight is a steady 196 or 197, and when I pulled 628 I had come down from a bodyweight of 205 over the course of two days before the meet. So it's nice to know I have room to put on a few pounds of muscle.

12-07-04

Regualr Deadlifts

245x5

335x3

495x1

601x0

I'm obviously overtrained on deadlifts. I can't chalk it up as simply a bad day, as I got PRs on bending and grippers earlier in the day. My pulling strength maxed out during this log at the time I almost doubled 581. My problem has always been the inability to do more than one or two deadlift sessions up in the high 90% range. I'll formulate another cycle starting with more volume and reps, quickly working up to one high intensity session, and then stopping there, before starting over again. I'm also far from being sold on singles, for me personally. I think heavy triples can prepare me for a max single as well as anything, in part due to the fact that I stop at the floor and relax for a few seconds before initiating the next rep.

Have you tried isometrics yet?

I find that it is the best tool for overcoming stickingpoints/plateus... and the volume can be quite low, so the risk for overtraining is minimal.

A tip is to isolate the stickingpoint, and then lift near your max (perhaps 40 pounds below).

When you get to your weakest point in the lift, stop, and keep that position to failure.

Around 5 - 15 seconds is the most effective (with individual variations, of course).

What I do is a warm-up, then a isometric for about a couple of seconds (should not be more than about 1/3 of what you could hold when going to failure) to prime the nervous system. Rest for a couple of minutes, until you are fresh, and then an all out isometric hold til failure.

I increased my bench so fast with this method, I got problems with stabilizing muscles. :D

Naqual, The last time I tried negatives was back in the 1980's, but who knows, maybe they're more productive these days. :) My fear with the negatives is not being able to maintain form, the ease with which overtraining could set in, and the fact that only a specific portion of the lift is being addressed, which means you would still be required to train the remaining portions of the lift simultaneously. All those excuses being given, I'm still willing to give them another go. I'll do a little brainstorming and decide when and how I wish to incorporate them.

Naqual, The last time I tried negatives was back in the 1980's, but who knows, maybe they're more productive these days. :)   My fear with the negatives is not being able to maintain form, the ease with which overtraining could set in, and the fact that only a specific portion of the lift is being addressed, which means you would still be required to train the remaining portions of the lift simultaneously.  All those excuses being given, I'm still willing to give them another go.  I'll do a little brainstorming and decide when and how I wish to incorporate them.

Hm... no.. .I wasn't recommending negatives (although I mentioned them in my un-edited post, but removed it since I agree with you, it's hard to keep form).

The isometric portion is the most important one, i.e. that you lift the weight to the sticking point (and not above, i.e. don't lower it to the sticking point as that can result in compromising your form) and hold the weight there.

When you start to "drop", you can hold it for a couple of more seconds, and then lower the weight pretty quickly. With these isometrics, it's usually a good idea NOT to go to absolute negative failure, since it's easy to strain yourself.

To reiterate, the isometric part should be to absolute failure, the negative part should be controlled and not to absolute failure.

The other parts of the lift would get trained anyway, in the warmups.

I usually include one single every workout, after the isometric work is done.

And since you are training your sticking point, you are "evening out" your strength curve somewhat, which usually means that other parts of the lift don't need that much attention, at least not to start with.

Edited by nagual

Gotcha ya! Sounds good, Nagual, I'll start incorporating them into my workouts and see what happens. Thank you!

12-12-04

Block Deadlifts (2" block, no belt)

245x5

346x9

Barbell Rows

245x5

I'm going to go lighter, and less intense for a while and work my way back up. I've plenty of time, as the meet's been moved to April 30th. I still look forward to doing some isometrics soon.

Bodyweight: 198

Gotcha ya!  Sounds good, Nagual, I'll start incorporating them into my workouts and see what happens.  Thank you!

Np. Hope they work for you. :)

Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. It might be a good idea NOT to hold your breath while doing these, because of the bloodpressure. It can get very high when doing isometrics otherwise.

Since abdominal pressure is crucial in this lift, I'm not talking about totally deflating your stomach, just simply shallow breathing, when holding.

Good advice, Nagual. Thank you.

• 11 months later...

A year later, and it's time to continue this here log. I'm tired of being skinny. I want to bulk up to 220 and do the WABDL meet here in the metroplex area come February 18th. I'd like to pull 666 and be able to say I'v pulled atleast a triple bodyweight deadlift in five different weight classes. If I remember correctly, here's my meet bests:

123 - 341

148 - 440

165 - 562

181 - 617

198 - 628

220 - 625 (narrowly missed 670)

My first rededication workout will be Saturday.

Great to hear the news. I look forward to seeing your progress and learning from it. You'll have to give me a deadlift lesson next time I'm down there, since I've never deadlifted.

I could only hope to pull my bw of 250, but you pulling triple of 666.

That is awesome!!! :rock:bow

I know you can do it.

Jason

\\m//

Eric,

Hey buddy thats funny Im getting back into pulling as well. Looking forward to your log and how you train your deadlift. Good luck!

p.s Ill be hitting a wabdl meet sometime next year as well . . .

A year later, and it's time to continue this here log.  I'm tired of being skinny.  I want to bulk up to 220 and do the WABDL meet here in the metroplex area come February 18th.  I'd like to pull 666 and be able to say I'v pulled atleast a triple bodyweight deadlift in five different weight classes.  If I remember correctly, here's my meet bests:

123 - 341

148 - 440

165 - 562

181 - 617

198 - 628

220 - 625 (narrowly missed 670)

My first rededication workout will be Saturday.

Awesome. I am jealous just at the sheer fact you can get back in the saddle. :mosher

Glad I could help motivate fellas!

Now get it done and hit those PRS! The race is on! I will make a post about it in Goerner!

-Rick

Nice to see you get back at it! :rock

Edited by DuTCH

Thanks, guys! Now I'm even more pumped up about it! And yes, Rick, you've definitely motivated me to get serious about it again. I've just been going through the motions, and I really don't like that kind of training the least little bit.

My approach will be simple, as usual. One heavy triple, jumping ten pounds every six days. Oh yeh, and lots of milk! Mooo. :)

• 11 months later...

11-25-2006

Deads No Belt

245x5

335x1

375x5

405x3

455x1

Barbell Rows

245x5

Shrugs

425x5