A Deadlift Diary

EricMilfeld

How much do you think heavy deadlifting effects grip training? I love to deadlift but thought they would effect my grip. I'm starting kta soon and this journal got me wanting to get back at deadlifting.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• EricMilfeld

• stranger

• unseenbeat

• FrankyBoy

Deaner, I continued my weekly deadlift training all the while I was doing KTA style training to conquer the #3. I think the two exercises compliment eachother. In fact, after some heavy deadlifting my grip is perfectly primed for some crushing. I think most guys have had similar experiences. I'd say go for it! And keep us posted on your training and progress.

In fact, after some heavy deadlifting my grip is perfectly primed for some crushing.  I think most guys have had similar experiences. 

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday after squats. I've been reading about people suggesting doing gripwork (esp. heavy singles) after squats & deads so I thought I'd try it out, I got the BB SA as close to closed as possible without actually shutting it.

Granted that's not gonna impress too many people around here but it's easily the best I've done with the SuperAdv so far. I'm gonna give it another shot Thursday after deadlifts....

Chris

You'll get it, Chris!

11-13-04

Regular Deads

245x5

335x3

445x1

581x1 (missed the attempt with the second rep at knee level, which surprised me a little bit, being that the first rep was pretty solid)

601x0 (I was too worn out to get this more than about 6" off the floor after fighting that second rep with 581)

I dedided at the last minute to try and set a new PR for a double at under 200 pounds, instead of tying my triple record at 556. Oh well, got to stay positive. And besides, failure sometimes motivates me more than success. But if it wasn't for my good bending and grippers workout today, I'd have to take a handfull of Prozac. :stuart Next week I'll start a program based on singles and cycle back up. By the way, I skipped out on squatdeads and rows today, but will resume them next week. Tomorrow I'll hit some one legged squats to keep my leg strength up.

Very strong lifts Eric, wow. :bow

2 Questions

- Do your test yourself deadlifting DO from time to time?

- Whats the best on an 2" axle using DO?

Thanks, Franky. No, I've never tried the 2" axle. But my best with a double overhand, no hook, on a rotating sleeve olympic bar is 455.

You'll get it, Chris!

Actually Eric, I didn't :angry: , although once i finished the rest of my workout I grabbed a HG150 and shut it lefthanded. Never did that before!

Nice pull on 581...way to hoist it! :rock

Chris

Edited by tarudriller

Eric, when you grip bar, what hand is under, and what hand is over? Are you right handed or left handed? I am right handed and I have my left hand under, my right hand over. Ive always done it that way just cause it was the natural way for me to grab the bar, but I didnt know if there is a set way that most guys do it.

Also, do you use chalk when you deadlift? My gym dosnt allow it, but I was just curious if it helps you a lot.

Edited by Strongmantobe

That's right Chris, you gotta find the silver lining in those otherwise horrible workouts. Nice goin' with the HG150!

Strongmantobe, I grip it just like you do, and am right handed. There's no right or wrong way to grip it. I've tried gripping it the other way on occasion, and discovered I could perform just as well. Some guys will alternate their reverse grips from set to set, to help keep their bodies balanced.

That's right Chris, you gotta find the silver lining in those otherwise horrible workouts.  Nice goin' with the HG150!

Thanks Eric. More good news, I was able to get the BBSA shut righthanded on Saturday.

OK, that's enough of me hijacking your thread...

Chris

No, keep hijacking! And congratulations! :rock

Thanks, your logs got me deadlifting again. About 8 years ago I was close to 600 (how time flies, I was but a child :) ). Just started back on the 13th. Think I'll shoot for 600 by the end of 2005.

Deaner, It's great to hear I've inspired you! But I think if you've been close to 600 before, you'll get it well before the end of 2005. Will you start a log here on the board (perhaps just add it in to your already existing log)?

Deaner,  It's great to hear I've inspired you!  But I think if you've been close to 600 before, you'll get it well before the end of 2005.  Will you start a log here on the board (perhaps just add it in to your already existing log)?

I'm thinking about it, but don't know if I'd just do deadlift on it or everything, probably just deadlift, but man I'm terribly weak at it right now. First workout 315 for 2 sets of 5, pins set as low as possible without smashing my feet, what I call "shoetop deadlifts", and today 10 reps stiff legged with 225. Yeah guess I'll start one anyway, good motivation.

Edited by deaner

11-19-04

Regular Deads

245x5

335x3

445x1

546x1x5

Squat Deads

316x5

Barbell Rows

245x5

I'll attempt to add about 10 pounds a week for my singles, and slowly drop the number of singles performed in each workout until I feel like I've exhausted my abilities, at which time I'll start over with a new cycle. Also, I'm not really minding the clock between these singles. I'm basically resting long enough to recover between pulls, but will shorten the rest period as necessary to make a workout more challenging.

Bodyweight: 196

Heh, same bodyweight here. :D

Only a bit weaker though.

Eric I lately observed that I'm significantly stronger in bending after a deadlift or benchpress workout.

Did you try bending after such a deadlift workout?

Good luck against Martin. :happy

One question:

Regular and squat deads differ in the way the knees are bent in the very first phase of the lift?

Franky, yes deadlifts in particular get me ready for just about any strength endeavor.

The squatdeads are simply my way of replacing conventional squats, while training the deadlift muscles simultaneously. So, I make an effort to sit down very low with the bulk of my weight on my heels as I start the lift, maintaining as straight a back as possible. The bar sits touching the top of my feet as I start the lift. I get a serious burning sensation in my quads from this lift.

Nice workouts...

I've been going back and forward, testing my deadlift style, and it does seem that rounded back style (with a belt) feels a lot better and stronger than regular style. I usally get an unpleasant sensation in the back rotator muscles when performing regular deads.

Do you find that the rounded back style makes the "sticking" point a lot higher, and that it depends a lot more on upper/middle back strength (straightening the shoulders from the slumped position)?

Do you ever do partial deads? And if so, do you do them rounded back style aswell?

Naqual, yes, that's basically what I experience. My sticking point is the top portion of my knees. I've trained lockouts and partials at various heights in the past, attempting to maintain my regular deadlift form, but though I grew stronger at this assistance movement, it really didn't help my regular deadlift.

Interesting. My recent idea is just that; incoroprating partials mimicking that portion of the lift, at around the sticking point, as done with the round back style. But in your experience they didn't help?

Interesting. My recent idea is just that; incoroprating partials mimicking that portion of the lift, at around the sticking point, as done with the round back style.  But in your experience they didn't help?

No, they really didn't. But take it for what it's worth. They may prove the magic bullet for you, but I've always responded best to specificity of training in all of the strength endeavors I've tried.

I've got my meet picked out! I'll be lifting on March 26th in Dallas. It's a WABDL event. Anyone wanna join me?

good luck in your meet Eric!

When you are deadlifting, does your thumb play a big part in holding on to the bar? My grip keeps failing me at weights that I can laugh at using my farmers walks, and I noticed that my thumb really does not do much at all when I am deadlifting.