Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Friday

I need to leave a day between gripper/vulcan gripper work and 2 hand pinch. Every time I follow pinch with grippers it's off big style. If I leave it a day I cane the gripper work. That said I'm still working crush hard so that come testing/competition time/whathaveyou there it is.

Vulcan Gripper

It's been discussed. We both want an official 110-kilos by the years end. Martin (unofficial 117) and David (official 115) are our next step targets. I might get 110-kilos next week so I'd look for a few more kilos (say 112.5) before xmas.

I remember a post here about some mythical 120-kilos being spoken off 'as stupid, just stupid' but that's how I think. I see 3 15's (110+) and three 20's a side as doable (140). That high a target makes 110-kilos seem not enough and gives me the right mind set to aim high.

As per my comment in the other thread Loz is a BSM/WSM level strength athlete. For him grip strength and training are add-ons not the reason he trains and competes. Like all serious lifters he enjoys a challenge and knows that SOME grip work will cross-over into what he does (pinch is great for stone lifting for example). His mind set, right now, is winning next years British. In just three weeks CONSISTENT training (it's usually done on a 'if I feel like it' basis) he brought his pinch back to within 100g of his old (and our gym record) number. I should also add that on our challenge/records board 4 lifters are at 100-kilos or over. 100+ by Harry (Lozza's brother), Nick, myself and Lozza. There's a large group that are between 80 and a little under 100. We do, as it might be said, ok. :)

I'm also still hungry just to move up the current lists. No offence to the other lads, because they must think the same, but I want my name ahead of Jedd, Chad, Martin and David. I wanna be top dog. Having that hunger makes the pain, skin loss and sheer hard work worthwhile.

David Horne, quite correctly, has told those with under 90-kilo lifts that 110-kilos is 'on another level' and that small steps will get you there. True. But... 105.6 to 107.5 is not even a 2.5% jump. 107.5 to 110-kilos is even less. Right now I'd say my end of 2008 is 110 and 2009 number is 120-kilos. That might be a single lift event but I think 112.5-kilos to 115-kilos in competition is also doable.

Edited by mobsterone

Given the rate your two hand pinch has improved over the past couple of years (gone from reasonable to one of the best in the world) then those numbers are not without reach. I know Jedd as well is eyeing the Pinch record.

I think my comments in that thread were somewhere along the lines of "doubtful, but I'd like to be wrong", so I am quite chuffed.

I am absolutely sure that 140k is doable!

:fear

EDIT: I forgot to add a sneaky ninja!

Edited by Martin_Arildsson

Im 100% sure mobster can get 2 number 2 on the pinch list (behind me :D lol)

we have pushed each other really well over the last few weeks, and i must admit i enjoy pinch and its great for improving grip strength for strongman, as all the grip events involve locking my thumb in tight when holding onto bars such as in farmers and hurcules hold events. im sure steve and i can get over the 120kg barrier in time.

keep up the good work paps :rock

Loz

So I went over to the gym this evening to mention how poor old Sam was. Anyway Paul is taping stuff to the baby Inch (a right mess it was as well) rather than, as per my many times offered advice, using a bloody handle.

To prove the point I fetched out Mike's hollow handle brought from eBay. It has the loadable ends, handle, etc as one long but hollow tube. I also used one of the now rather bent 1" bars (from the 2HP) and my old faithful 2.5-inch lightly knurled handle. Add in the collars we use on the pinch (Pullums replicas of the Bulldogs) and away we went.

53 kilos on the hollow, no tilt. Easy. Ditto 70 odd and I think 80 odd or 90 odd (slight tilt). I switched to the bar, handle, etc set up and with Paul's help started piling some weight on. I'd pulled 100 or so easily when he asked what my old PB was (300.1lbs/136+ kilos). 120 plus the set up went so we upped the anti to 130 (286lbs plus the set up) then 140 (308 plus set up). That took a test go then a full go. Finally umming and ahhing and wanting to see where it might go I tried 153-kilos. First pull nothing, second off the floor (see video to come) final (intended to go up high)... nothing. I've done NO thick handled dumbbell training at all for months except to see what I could do, one time, with the millennium a few weeks back.

And I only went over for a chat.

Now as to whether or not Paul listens... I'm not that strong ha ha.

You got 153 kg off the floor on a 2.5" handle ?? Or did I read something wrong? Dang! You should be good for 400 pounds one hand deadlift without a hook grip!! You should try to break the official record for this lift!! :rock :rock

No, you read correctly. I'm sorting the video now. That said balancing a longer bar without a brace (see tape) is way different to a braced dumbbell. It'll be on my youtube account in a few minutes.

As part of the usual faffing around and BS'ing we do Saturday afternoons Loz pulled a 140-kilo one hand olympic bar deadlift so I also pulled it off the floor. No warm ups, no hook grip, no brace, etc.

Sunday

I think the one litre tub of 'specially selected' Asda Rum and Raisin I knocked out last night did not help me today. That and a slightly sore throat had me puking into the kitchen sink while I cleaned my teeth - just one little cough and urrghh that's gross. Still nasty though. The other end wasn't too sharp either with me needing to use the facilities before training legs today. I know I get a little anxious before legs but the idea of touching cloth is different ha ha. Anyways...

Leg Extension

80-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos negs x 8 reps @ leg (so up with 2 and down with 1)

Leg Curls

25-kilos x 8 reps, 50-kilos x 8 reps, 65-kilos x 8 very hard reps. I'll stay with this for while

Leg Press

0-kilos x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 400-kilos x 8 reps (belt on), then the usual style but with 720-kilos x 8 reps. Could have done more.

All giant setted.

Bwt down.

Monday

Second week (of 8) bench programme

CG Bench

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 135-kilos x 5, 6, 6, 6 reps (TGT 4 x 7)

LPD

80-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 145-kilos x 3 x 6 reps

Monday pm

Pinch tomorrow then nowt but bench and back (for my 8 week prog) Thursday between now and the BHSA event.

Torsion grippers

Usual warm ups

Note how 1) training somewhere warm helps, 2) training where there's a crowd (so I HAVE to do well) and 3) no pre-exhausting the grip with pinch etc the session or two before helps.

I wonder why you only post your warm-ups. How's your #4 doing? Maybe you just don't want to scare us!?

I've said why before. I tend to type how I speak and feel and that gets posts edited by mods.

I've said why before. I tend to type how I speak and feel and that gets posts edited by mods.

Your posts are edited only when you have violated the Rules of the Gripboard. As you have been PM'd and cited for your use of F-Bombs and extreme vulgarity, of course your posts are edited. Thanks, carry on ;)

All members are subject to editing when decorum is not followed on the board.

I know. I said so above. I didn't need reminding. Can you guess what vulgarity I'm thinking now. :dry

Edited by mobsterone

Close ha ha. Anyways as I am editing my own posts Rick can rest easy.

Tuesday

Last days grip work this week (I'll do my bench prog session Thursday). As per an earlier post this was a 'fry the hands' session. I trained with zee Loz Mesiter and H. H was using 91.7 and Loz and I a little more. The target was 20 singles.

2HP

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 50-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, then the target weight of plus 78.5-kilos (100.2-kilos or 221lbs total)using a pair of 4-kilo discs we have). I did 19 singles and 2 final failure attempts. The skin on the base of the right thumb had gone at 17. We all tore skin and we all bled a little. Tis the price. The poor more or less straight bar we started out with was NOT straight when we ended the session. It was so bent the weights were touching the floor on both sides.

19 was a good effort old boy. I did 20 :D

2 be fair 2 steve, his 19 were easy but for some odd reason the 20th just wasnt there. fingers crossed we will both hit some nice numbers on sat.

Loz

Thursday

CG Bench

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 135-kilos x 7, 7, 7, 6 (grr) reps

LPD

80-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 145-kilos x 3 x 7 reps

Sunday

Shoulders and arms. A little worn out after yesterday but time is short so I wanted to get this done. Note that, as before, triceps were off perhaps due to press. But also because I was interviewed for a video during.

Seated Press

50-kilos x 8 reps, 80-kilos x 8 reps, 102.5-kilos x 4 x 1 reps

DB Curls

10-kilos @ x 8 reps, 17-kilos@ x 8 reps, 25-kilos @ x 8 reps, 30-kilos @ x 2 or 3 x 8 reps

TPD

Stack x 8 reps, plus 25-kilos x 8 reps, plus 50-kilos x 8 reps.

Monday

Poor session. Training press yesterday and then trying bench today... not good. My right front delt aches as does my right bicep. The old sciatica was playing up all weekend (except when deadlifting) so I think I'll take the rest of the week off and rethink my training with Dec 20th in mind.

CG bench

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 145-kilos x 4, 4, 3. Was meant to be 4 x 5-6 reps

LPD

80-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 145-kilos x 3 x 8 reps

you can't hit tricep pushdowns one day then expect a good close grip bench day the next!!!! :D

What are you looking hitting at for Dec20th? 190kg bench? have all the events for this one been finalised yet?