• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cannon

• ewokhugo

• mbcx6pmw

• Teemu I

Top Posters In This Topic

hi Matt!

u can do a lot more than 100 lbs i am sure! i think regular R.T will increse your thumb power.

If u add a small towel to your R.t ,the tickness will increase and it will make your thumb work like hell!

what about tuesday training?:-)

Edited by ewokhugo

Good idea, Hugo. I have pulled 100lbs, but I think I missed 125lbs and didn't try again. I've barely used this thing!

Tuesday training is happening tonight! I'm trying to get back on track because my anniversay threw me off, and I wasn't ready to go yesterday. Big gripper night tonight :rock

Okay! Here is the workout :D

1. Grippers
  2. #1 x10
  3. Filed #2 x8
  4. BBE negative crushes, x10
  5. Filed #2 Overcrush x2

Saturday will be no gripper stuff. I'm going to give this Rolling Thunder a shot and see if I can blast the hell out of my thumbs. I'll try your suggestion, Paul, and do 2x10. I'm interested in Neil's questions, though. Do you set it down each time?

I don't do any other thick bar at the moment. I was doing RT once a week, on wednesdays with grippers and pinch monday and friday. Now I'm doing grippers each time and alternating the RT and pinch, i.e. twice one week, once the next.

Yes, you set the weight down each time and fully lock out, as if you were doing deadlifts. This seems to hit the forearms harder than just doing holds, although it's probably worth trying both from time to time. If you do a couple of hard sets you should feel it right in the meat of your forearms the day after :rock

I think wrist strength comes into play a fair bit with RT as well, so keep hitting those wrist curls.

Okay, I like the RT a lot. Thanks for the tips, Paul, Neil, Hugo. I did a small workout, but I think I'm going to be doing much more with the RT.

1. Not Grippers
  2. Rolling Thunder 90lbs, 3 x10
  3. Wrist curls, 3 x8, 75lbs, 85lbs, 95lbs

I was actually kind of pooped because I spent the morning calibrating some of my grippers that I use a lot. I finally purchased a suitable strap and it worked like a charm. It would be SOOO much easier to do this with 2 people, though. Anyone want to come over and calibrate grippers? Seriously, you're welcome any time.

HG300 = 2.25

BBSM = 2.81

RB240n = 2.88

2006 GR8 # = 3.09

MM1 = 3.30

2005 GR8 #3 = 3.34

That 2005 #3 is no joke. It definitely FEELS that hard. I was surprised that the MM1 came in that much higher than my 2006 #3 because they do feel pretty similar. My guess is the last bit on the MM1 will be killer as I try and work through that. One thing to mention with the calibrations is that I don't know how much my weights weigh. I borrowed a scale because mine is broken and it ran out of batteries after I weighed myself! :dry So, hopefully I can weigh them sometime and adjust the calibrations.

Tuesday I'll do some attempts on the #3 and try a big set of holds with the Secret Weapon. I'll pick a weight that I can hold shut, but only just barely. My Secret Weapon has BTR, so it will be like a set of BTR overcrushes. We'll see how that goes.

Nice work and calibrations, Matt. Wow your RB240N sounds hard ! Mine has a handle spread on 2.48" and is a bit easier to shut than my IM 2.5 or BBSM.

.. neilkaz ..

Neil, I feel like the RB240n is a little deceiving. I think it feels a bit easier than my BBSM. I'm sure it's the narrow stance. But yeah, compared to other RB240n grippers, maybe it's harder. Even with the calibrations, I feel like it's a little subjective.

Forearms are sore today :D

Matt,

I would be glad to calibrate grippers with you. I have a scale that reaches over 300 pounds, but only shows half pound increments. Maybe once you get your calibrations down, you can tear the scale in half. :)

Seriously though, let me know when you want to put this together.

If you are looking to a get a lot of thumb work out of the RT use high reps and "pinch" it, as in put your wrist directly over the top of the handle. It makes a huge difference in the amount of weight you can handle. Good looking stuff here

Thanks, Wes!

It seems wrist on top happens automatically for me because of the revolving handle. Is there a way to go with the wrist in any other position? The RT is still a mystery to me :D

I also want to do more "swings" like in the Diesel vid. That seems like it would kill the thumb.

What a great day. It was my birthday today and it was just a great day!

1. Birthday Bash
  2. Squat 95lbs x20, light warm up to get the blood moving
  3. #1 x10
  4. 2006 #3, 3 attempts, all misses but 3rd attempt was really strong. Progress is happening.
  5. Secret Weapon BTR holds, 70lbs x8
  6. Wood pinch block, 35lbs x10, 45lbs x6, 35lbs x10

It's going to so freaking sweet to close this #3. I never have and I'm getting so close. :devil

congrats Matt for your fast progress!

i believe u are ready when u can close your #3 from 2005(+- the same as mm1)

work your thimb squeezing an hard tennis ball(catch teh ball with both hands and press with the thumbs only, if the ball its hard you will fell what i am talking about)

a brasilian friend told me about this(he s a good armwrestlers)

Very inspiring Matt!

How did you acquire a SW? Would you only recommend it for someone with a real strong gripper foundation who was trying to get to the next level, or would most anyone benefit? In other words, is it an extreme measure to take, or one that helps with building a long-term foundation of strength?

EDIT: Happy Birthday!

Edited by odin

Thanks HUGO! I think you're right. I've heard the MM1 is closer to 3.1 or 3.2, so I figure if I'm closing either my replica or that 2005 #3, I'm probably good to go. It would be nice to have something extra in the tank so it's a done deal on cert day.

Odin, I think the Secret Weapon is a good tool for any level. Like anything I think it can be used recklessly and that's user error, not anything about the tool. There's kind of a romantic notion that if I bog it down with 120lbs like Kinney, I'll be mashing a #4! If you use a responsible amount of "overload" for your current level, I'm finding that I get an incredible workout that doesn't feel the same as grippers. Today I have a deep, thorough, good soreness in my forearms that I can't get with grippers. It's not just negatives either. You can do holds, smooth out negatives too. I think it's a great tool! It's also really taxing on the R&P, more so than grippers, which I think is another nice element.

Thanks, Wes!

It seems wrist on top happens automatically for me because of the revolving handle. Is there a way to go with the wrist in any other position? The RT is still a mystery to me :D

I also want to do more "swings" like in the Diesel vid. That seems like it would kill the thumb.

It depends on how strong your wrist is. I might be able to do 180 holding the Rt like that but if I cock my wrist like I usually do (like at the top of a wrist curl) or go thumbless and then lift, my max goes up to around 250.

I haven't tried the real MM1 - i live in the UK and the postage costs for just 3 closes isn't worth it, i'd rather have something i could keep and train with - but the replica that i own is on par with some of the easier #3s i have tried. The 2.96 #3 i closed in competition last year is about the same as my replica. All of my #3s are harder than the MM1 replica though. The MM1 replica doesn't have much of a sweep but ramps up at the close.

Good work here, Matt. I've tried a SW a couple times, and hated it, but your experience would lead me to want to try using one for a while.

.. neilkaz ..

I haven't tried the real MM1 - i live in the UK and the postage costs for just 3 closes isn't worth it, i'd rather have something i could keep and train with - but the replica that i own is on par with some of the easier #3s i have tried. The 2.96 #3 i closed in competition last year is about the same as my replica. All of my #3s are harder than the MM1 replica though. The MM1 replica doesn't have much of a sweep but ramps up at the close.

Mine also has a modest sweep. This is great news, though. Maybe I'll be ready sooner than I think :)

Very inspiring Matt!

How did you acquire a SW? Would you only recommend it for someone with a real strong gripper foundation who was trying to get to the next level, or would most anyone benefit? In other words, is it an extreme measure to take, or one that helps with building a long-term foundation of strength?

EDIT: Happy Birthday!

Odin, I noticed I never answered your first question. My Secret Weapon is a home made jobby from my friend Griffin, who is a member here. He made it for himself, then made another that was better, so sent me the old one. VERY generous of him! I have it mounted where the leg extension thing should go on the end of my bench. It just slides in so I can take it off easily.

Odin, I think the Secret Weapon is a good tool for any level. Like anything I think it can be used recklessly and that's user error, not anything about the tool. There's kind of a romantic notion that if I bog it down with 120lbs like Kinney, I'll be mashing a #4! If you use a responsible amount of "overload" for your current level, I'm finding that I get an incredible workout that doesn't feel the same as grippers. Today I have a deep, thorough, good soreness in my forearms that I can't get with grippers. It's not just negatives either. You can do holds, smooth out negatives too. I think it's a great tool! It's also really taxing on the R&P, more so than grippers, which I think is another nice element.

Matt , thanks for the answers to my questions and great advice re: "user error", I've made plenty of those along the way.

Thanks, Hugo :rock We'll get there.

Workout last night was not one of the best, but still got a decent PR on video. It's almost impossible to upload over dialup, so I'll see if I can put it on a disc and take it to work.

1. #1 x10, no set
  2. #2 x1
  3. 2006 #3, attempts x3, second attempt was really close, got it on video too
  4. Couple of random gripper attempts, rb240n, BBSM, really lousy

Over all, my ring/pinky on my right and were feeling a little strained so I think a little extra rest couldn't hurt. Other good news is that my left is feeling really strong, kind of "all of a sudden", and was basically on par with my right hand performance last night.

Tuesday I'll do Rolling Thunder again, and try and go bigger no the weight. I'll do a big set of BBE negs as well. Which should I do first..? Is it bad to do these two things in one night?

Nice work, what's the toughest gripper you've closed lefty?

I'd do the negs first. It may affect you RT performance a bit but don't think there's owt wrong with doing them in the same session.