NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

On 3/30/2023 at 6:27 AM, Douglas Carney said:

I really appreciate members taking a minute to view/vote on a video that for me represents years of work.

Halfway there!  Need at least nine more members to view/vote before my seven days are up.

Thank you for your consideration!

Edited by Douglas Carney

Hello All!

I bought my first set of grippers(Heavy Grips) back in 2007 where I quickly worked up to closing the 250. Back then I didn't know about any grip communities, I just learned the basics from a few videos probably on YouTube. I recently dusted off the old grippers to get back into grip training again and now I have 17 grippers, mostly Iron Mind, that have been rated by CPW. I've worked up to closing a IM2 rated at 98. I've tried pinch block, hub, rolling thunder, etc a few years ago and just didn't enjoy it as much as hand grippers. Yesterday I started the RRBT program I found out about on this forum and after that I'll be starting KTA. I've been using a TTK to supplement the current grip program. As far as long term goals, I'd just like to keep progressing in strength and eventually closing a IM3. I'm 39 years old from central Florida and have been a meat cutter for around 19 years. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community!

• Like 6

On 3/31/2023 at 6:56 PM, Charles Jones said:

Hello All!

I bought my first set of grippers(Heavy Grips) back in 2007 where I quickly worked up to closing the 250. Back then I didn't know about any grip communities, I just learned the basics from a few videos probably on YouTube. I recently dusted off the old grippers to get back into grip training again and now I have 17 grippers, mostly Iron Mind, that have been rated by CPW. I've worked up to closing a IM2 rated at 98. I've tried pinch block, hub, rolling thunder, etc a few years ago and just didn't enjoy it as much as hand grippers. Yesterday I started the RRBT program I found out about on this forum and after that I'll be starting KTA. I've been using a TTK to supplement the current grip program. As far as long term goals, I'd just like to keep progressing in strength and eventually closing a IM3. I'm 39 years old from central Florida and have been a meat cutter for around 19 years. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community!

Welcome @Charles Jones to the Gripboard!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like old weights and strength history. This naturally took me to classic feats of strength, many of which involve grip strength. Thanks to some grip mentors, I’ve found my way to regularly training grip for about a month now. 

I’m a veteran, retired from the USAF, PANG, and I have a YouTube channel (VintageWeightsPGH) and a podcast on the Garage Gym Radio network called Home Gym History. 

I have a wife and 4 children, eat a lot of Mexican food, and listen to vinyl records. 

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to the Grip History section of the Grip Board. It’s an amazing read! 

• Like 7

On 4/24/2023 at 9:34 PM, VintageWeightsPGH said:

I like old weights and strength history. This naturally took me to classic feats of strength, many of which involve grip strength. Thanks to some grip mentors, I’ve found my way to regularly training grip for about a month now. 

I’m a veteran, retired from the USAF, PANG, and I have a YouTube channel (VintageWeightsPGH) and a podcast on the Garage Gym Radio network called Home Gym History. 

I have a wife and 4 children, eat a lot of Mexican food, and listen to vinyl records. 

Big thanks to everyone who has contributed to the Grip History section of the Grip Board. It’s an amazing read! 

Welcome @VintageWeightsPGH!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 3:34 AM, VintageWeightsPGH said:

A little late but welcome!

It’s always so fun when new people find grip sport/ training.

I’ll make sure to leave some love on your channel buddy💪🏽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I discovered @VintageWeightsPGH's channel when I was poking around the interwebs watching blob videos.  He had a good video that discussed the history.

Then we actually "met" when I bought that Hex 100 off eBay and saw the Vintage Weights PGH logo in the box.

Good to see you on the forum.  Welcome!

• Like 2

On 4/27/2023 at 4:03 AM, AdriaanRobert96 said:

I appreciate it! I’m learning a ton from Grip Board. I should’ve hopped on here a whole ago! 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 10:04 AM, Douglas Carney said:

I discovered @VintageWeightsPGH's channel when I was poking around the interwebs watching blob videos.  He had a good video that discussed the history.

Then we actually "met" when I bought that Hex 100 off eBay and saw the Vintage Weights PGH logo in the box.

Good to see you on the forum.  Welcome!

Thanks so much! I’ve been meaning to get on here and finally got around to it. I love it so far. 

• Like 2

Hey everyone, I hope your Fridays is going well! My name is Kameron, Iam 31, Iam new to the boards, but ive been a grip fan for years. Currently ive been training in body building, but ive spent several years training in strongman and power lifting as well. I love lifting things like natural stones and sand bags, my best was a 300lb sandbag load. 

Ive always sworn by having a strong grip for training in the gym, no matter what your sport is. But recently Ive been interested in things like deck tearing, bar bending and other feats of strength. So I bought a gripper from Ironmind, a few bicycle decks and Iam going to start programming more of it and other grip related exercises into my workouts! Iam excited to be here and learn from everyone! Thanks for having me and I hope everyone grips well and safe! 

Edited by Kameron Kreisher
  • Like 10

15 hours ago, VintageWeightsPGH said:

Thanks so much! I’ve been meaning to get on here and finally got around to it. I love it so far. 

Awesome!  I'm loving the forum so far, too.  Everyone I've met is very supportive and encouraging.  Wish I'd joined sooner.

Been making my way through your YT channel a bit and you have some cool hub, dumbbell, and block weight stuff.  Are you thinking about entering a contest at some point?  Just curious.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:56 PM, Charles Jones said:

I'm 39 years old from central Florida

My Dad lives in Lakeland, I keep meaning to go to a grip comp in Florida sometime, so I can stay with him for the weekend.  There are some in Orlando (at least arm lifting).

• Like 2

On 4/28/2023 at 9:02 PM, Kameron Kreisher said:

Hey everyone, I hope your Fridays is going well! My name is Kameron, Iam 31, Iam new to the boards, but ive been a grip fan for years. Currently ive been training in body building, but ive spent several years training in strongman and power lifting as well. I love lifting things like natural stones and sand bags, my best was a 300lb sandbag load. 

Ive always sworn by having a strong grip for training in the gym, no matter what your sport is. But recently Ive been interested in things like deck tearing, bar bending and other feats of strength. So I bought a gripper from Ironmind, a few bicycle decks and Iam going to start programming more of it and other grip related exercises into my workouts! Iam excited to be here and learn from everyone! Thanks for having me and I hope everyone grips well and safe! 

Welcome @Kameron Kreisher!

• 1 month later...

Hello!

I always had weak wrists. I am 40 now so I thought I can focus on improving. I started with a cheap adjustable plastic gripper 1-2 months ago and when it becomes easy I bought a Robert Baraban adjustable gripper.

My grip is still too weak(35 kg max) but I am trying. I am trying to understand best way to improve myself and I am open to any suggestions.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Bulbay said:

Hello!

I always had weak wrists. I am 40 now so I thought I can focus on improving. I started with a cheap adjustable plastic gripper 1-2 months ago and when it becomes easy I bought a Robert Baraban adjustable gripper.

My grip is still too weak(35 kg max) but I am trying. I am trying to understand best way to improve myself and I am open to any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum!  Just wanted to let you know that @Jedd Johnson recently posted a gripper video for beginners on YouTube.  Perhaps something there will be helpful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bulbay said:

Hello!

Welcome.. Plenty to learn here. Train smart and take it slow. You'll get where ever you want.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Douglas Carney said:

Welcome to the forum!  Just wanted to let you know that @Jedd Johnson recently posted a gripper video for beginners on YouTube.  Perhaps something there will be helpful.

Thank you for the suggestion. I just watched it and he seems like what he is talking about:) I already have a Robert Baraban adjustable. 

image.jpeg.411ed5919c1e6f0aa37c3018b85fb6cf.jpeg

I don't know if it was the right choice. We will see:) I don't think I will never be able to handle a #1 or higher. Still, it worths trying

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Bulbay said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I just watched it and he seems like what he is talking about:) I already have a Robert Baraban adjustable. 

I don't know if it was the right choice. We will see:) I don't think I will never be able to handle a #1 or higher. Still, it worths trying

keep at it, give it time and you will turn grippers you thought you could never close to shrapnel bits before you know it

Edited by Apneaa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bulbay said:

Perfect choice if you dont care about certing.

I could care less about certing... I have the Vulcan which is similar... You can use rubberbands as well for micro progression.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Perfect choice if you dont care about certing.

I could care less about certing... I have the Vulcan which is similar... You can use rubberbands as well for micro progression.. 

I don't care cert since it is not a possibility for many years even in theory. I am looking for training routines for newbies like me but all I could find personal logs. I don't know if I should follow them just by reducing the hardness level. 

I am sorry if this is not the right place to talk. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bulbay said:

I don't care cert since it is not a possibility for many years even in theory. I am looking for training routines for newbies like me but all I could find personal logs. I don't know if I should follow them just by reducing the hardness level. 

I am sorry if this is not the right place to talk. 

I don't think anyone will care as long as it doesnt go on and and on. 

I don't do grippers but many do. Make a thread, or find a log with someone training grippers they will be happy to answer your questions. I recommend making your own log. You will get tons of support here. 

Its very possible for you to cert.. Just be disciplined and consistent.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Bulbay said:

... I am looking for training routines for newbies like me ...

For what it's worth, @Jedd Johnson has books, dvds, and a website with information that may help your journey.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

For what it's worth, @Jedd Johnson has books, dvds, and a website with information that may help your journey.

Thanks Doug! Yes @Bulbay I have tons of resources here: http://www.dieselcrew.com/catalog.htm and the site Doug pointed to, above, is extremly centered around beginner level training info.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Thanks Doug! Yes @Bulbay I have tons of resources here: http://www.dieselcrew.com/catalog.htm and the site Doug pointed to, above, is extremly centered around beginner level training info.

Wow, I didn't know you were here. Glad to talk to you directly. Those resources are great but the only problem is there are too many options. I don't know where to start. What I want to achieve is to have a a bit more than average crushing grip power, stamina and arm wrestling competence. I am 6 ft and 222 lbs, mostly fat not muscle. I'd love to follow your directions.

• Like 1