Ottoemezzo Training Log

OTTOEMEZZO

Time to udate.

Left wrist still hurts, but not when squeezing. So, I decided to do deadlifts - try to lift 385 with DO grip. However, my gym is reconstructing and equipment was moved into another room. They moved machines and everything in the other room, but not a single bar. So, no deadlifts today. Decided to do 5 sets of 40 push ups (on fists, because of my wrist) instead. Also, did a gripper workout. Here's how it went:

5 singles with #2.5 supersetted with

5 singels with #3 - attempts

10 overcrushes with #2 - last one for maximum effort.

Highlights: CLOSED #2.5 WITH LEFT FOR FIRST TIME!!! Also, got #3 closer than ever with Right and about 3/8" away with Left - also closer than ever! All attempts done with a little wider than 1 3/4" set! I think the #3 is finally within close reach.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OTTOEMEZZO

• Malice

• Forever

• Terrygrip

Thanks Terry.

Deadlifts: warmed up to 385 lbs single with DO grip! PR!!! Easy on the body, hard on the grip. Weight went up quickly and easily, but holding on to it was pretty hard.

Fat Gripz Deadlifts: 185 x 3 x 3 sets. These are pretty hard to me. My gym changed to 30mm bars instead of 28mm, which makes some difference.

Deadlifts: 285 x 5 x 3 sets with DO grip. Supersetted with...

Curls: 110 x 5 x 3 sets! Pretty easy.

Finished off with 90 x 8 on the curls.

Couldn't do too much because of my wrist, but deadlifts and curls felt good. I'm looking to get 405 with DO grip in the next few weeks.

My wrist still is not fully recovered, so I haven't been in the gym since. Add that to the fact that I got little sick these last few days.

Got in a quick gripper workout today though. Did some overcrushes with #2.5 on RH and #2 overcrushes on LH. Felt week, but still managed to CCS #2.5 for the first time! I never practice CCS, so this definitely brightened my otherwise gloomy day. Can't wait to get over the sickness and wrist pain and get back into the gym. Motivation is very high right now!

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing squats, deadlifts, curls, chin ups, and grippers for right hand. Still recovering left hand, but it does feel better. I overcrushed the choked to .9" #3 yesterday for good 7 seconds (could have held for more, but had a long workout ahead). Also did some #3.5 negatives, and was exhausted afterwards and could barely close #2.5.

Deadlifts tomorrow. Will do either 315 or 325 for 5 x 5 with DO grip. Then, build up by 5 or 10 lbs per week. We'll see how that works out.

Deadlifts: was going for 315 x 5 x 5 DO grip. On last set, only did 4. Still, I will do either 320 or 325 for 5 x 5 next week.

Curls: 115 x 4 x 3 sets.

Then did some hammer curls and "half curls" and my grip was giving out. Deadlifts took all my energy away.

Finished off with 10 chin ups and was completely exhausted. Great workout!

Decided to do an impromptu workout at home. Grabbed the portable pull up bar and attached it the door downstairs. My plan for the workout was to do 10 sets of 10 pull ups (for a total of 100) and 10 sets of 25 squats (total of 250) supersetted. I did all of the squats and 90 pull ups in less than 1 hour. At over 200 lb bodyweight, I was rather happy with the pull ups and will do more cardio workouts, like this, in the future - especially when I don't feel like going for max pulls, or heavy lifting.

On a side note, my forearms are still dead from the deadlifting session 3 days ago. Can barely close #2.5 with right and cannot close #2 with left. I can still feel the soreness in my left forearm. This reminds me of something I thought of the other day: if there was only 1 exercise I could do, it would be the DEADLIFTS! To me, it's the king. My legs, traps, lower back, upper back, forearms, and shoulders are all involved. It's simply the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Squats: 255 x 5 x 5!!! Pretty easy. I just started squating more than just once a week and I believe it will lead to great results. Finally broke through a small plateau where I could not get to 250 x 5 x 5. 255 felt easy and I believe I would have no problem with 265 for those reps. Esmimated 1 rep max right now is around 315 - 330, with the goal to hit 405 by the end of the year.

Kind of crazy home work out today. Decided to do grip with sets of push ups in between. Overall, I did 5 overcrush singles with #2.5, 5 forced negatives with #3.5, 3 sets of 50 regular push ups and 3 sets of 25 incline push ups.

Deadlifts on Friday! My grip better be recovered by then, because it is taking a beating no matter what!

• 2 weeks later...

Started working this past week and feeling tired after work on most days. Still managed to go on gym on Monday (first day of work) and got 265 x 5 x 3 sets on squats as well as some chin up singles with 90 lbs - kind of feel stuck at this point in chin ups.

Today, did 270 x 5 x 3 sets on squats, which was EASY. I'm progressing at 10 lbs per week at this rate - squatting twice a week. Also did deadlifts: 345 x 4 x 4 DO grip. Especially after squats, this was hard! Then did some bicep and calf work. Happy with my progress and feel that I'm finally getting used to the technique on the squats.

Grip is not doing good these days, still stuck on getting past the sticking point on the #3.

• 3 weeks later...

My wrist is feeling better these days - though still not fully healed. However, I started working on bench press and military press. The numbers are down, as expected, but I am still glad to finally be working on those parts.

On another note, I just got a bar and some weights. This bar has nice, deep knurling and is much better than the gym bar. I just loaded it up today to give it a go, and easily lifted 345 with DO grip and no chalk. 345 never felt so easy, and I expect my deadlift numbers only to go up with this bar. Once the rack arrives, I will have a nice home gym...

• 2 weeks later...

Great news today. I will only say this: 405 deadlift (DOUBLE OVERHAND!!!) for 2 easy singles, and 10 second hold at the top on first one. This is twice my bodyweight and I know I could have lifted about 10 to 15 lbs more!

Great news today. I will only say this: 405 deadlift (DOUBLE OVERHAND!!!) for 2 easy singles, and 10 second hold at the top on first one. This is twice my bodyweight and I know I could have lifted about 10 to 15 lbs more!

Excellent mate, Really nice pr.

Nice numbers! It only doesn't surprise me that your grip is a little of as you said with all that deadlifting.

Maybe lift with straps or something? Maybe saves your hands for progress in closing grippers and you are still lifting

the weights than. In that situation I think straps don´t have to be a dirty word!

Thanks for the kind words!

Geralt,

I realize that this is a helpful tip to improve grip, and something that I might try. However, DO Deadlift is my favorite evercise right now. I think that all of the back and bicep exercises are also killing my grip. I definitely need to make a routine that allows for 2-3 grip sessions a week.

Great day today!

Bench: 190 x 5 x 3 sets. Getting back into it.

Chin Ups: 70 x 3 x 3 sets.

Also did some military press at 125. Nothing special.

Pressing has always been my weak point, and with the wrist injury just over, I'm getting slowly getting back to it.

Now on to my grip workout. Here's when things get good...

I did 3 singles with #2.5 - closed all 3 with right easily and TWICE with left!!!

Also did 2 attempts at #3 - closest I've ever gotten with right!!!

Finished off with 3 overcrushes with #2!

Overall, I believe this is the most successful grip workout I've ever had.

Tomorrow, I will do squats (going for 290 x 3 x 3) and deadlifts (going for 355 x 4 x 4 with DO) at my new home gym.

Last week, I started having some pain in my left elbow. I attribute the pain to my bodybuilding/ powerlifting workouts, as opposed to just powerlifting, in the past month. Oh well, I'm not complaining though. As long as I can deadlift, squat and grip, I'm happy.

Today, I did the workout I had planned for Feb. 27 - I wasn't feeling up to it that day and failed to squat even once with 290. Today was a different story. 290 x 3 x 3 on the squats felt relatively easy and the 355 x 4 x 4 deadlift was the one that gave me some trouble - some of those last reps were brutal. Of course, these were DO, and absolutely, 100% raw!

So, a good day of lifting and my powerlifting total is nearing 1000! So far, my bench max was 245, squat is 290 x 3 x 3, and deadlift is 405, for a total of 940. Plus, I think I can bring my squat up by about 30 - 40 pounds in the next couple of months and do the same with the deadlift. I should pass 1000 in 2 to 3 months, and will be shooting for 1150 by the end of the year - just need to work on my bench press (as soon as the eblow is healed up.)

Well, it's March 6th and it has been a gloomy day here in Virginia. This is the kind of day when I feel lazy and any attempts at lifting heavy weights or trying to finally close that #3 gripper would most likely be unsuccessful. Nevertheless, after lunch I decided to give grippers a try and closed #2 very easily with both hands. Surprised at how easy it was, I tried the #2.5 after only a minute or so, which I also closed with both hands. This was a sign that grippers were meant to be used today...

I choked the #3 to .9" and did 3 attempts - all 3 closed with right and pretty close with my left. I haven't done choked grippers in a while, so I felt it was good to change things up.

After this, I did 2 forced negatives with #3.5 - these I also haven't done for a while and they were very tough.

I finished off with #2.5 overcrush with right (which surprisingly felt very easy for the end of the workout) and #2 overcrush with left.

I like this routine, it only takes me 25 - 30 minutes and it incorporates the type of training I haven't done for a while. So, I expect great results within the next few weeks.

Today was squat/ deadlift day.

Squats: 295 x 3 x 3.

Deadlifts: 385 x 2, 0. Wasn't able to lift the second set, because grip started to give out. I believe this was due to tiring myself out with squats. On a fresh day, I have no doubts that I could lift 385 x 2 x 2 with DO grip!

One arm deadlifts: worked up to 205 with left and 215 with right (no hook on either!) Felt like I had some more left in my right hand, but decided it was enough for today.

It's time to re-evalute my goals. I want to keep lifting with DO grip for as long as possible on deadlifts. However, I know that I'm lifting close to my DO max these days. I think I could lift 420 fresh, but anything more would be a big challenge. Since my goal for this year is to lift 500 lbs (with any grip), I plan to start using straps. The question is when... I hope to lift 450 with DO grip this year, but if I start to be limited by my grip in a few months, I will switch to straps and still lift DO after, or before my work sets (but with less weight.) Basically, my goal is lifting the most weight possible this year, not necessarily with DO.

Edited by OTTOEMEZZO

I've been having some elbow pain the last week and taking this week off to completely heal. Training will resume next monday! Also, felt some sharp pain after a choker grip workout on March 10th. So, laying off everything. That is, everything other than squat.

Today, I did 300 x 3 x 3 and finished off with a 20 rep squat at 215. All reps below parallel. I haven't done 20 rep squats in a while and I definitely felt the pain on that set. Great stuff!

3/21/11

Did some easy bench, attempts at #3 gripper, military presses and pull ups/chin ups.

On bench and military press, I went pretty easy and did not want to re-injure myself. Nothing special there.

I got a hair away from closing #3 today!!! Couldn't be any closer. Though frustring, I now know that it shouldn't take more than a month to finally close this thing.

Also did pull ups for 3 sets of 5 with 55 lbs attached.

Finished off with chin ups, again for 3 sets of 5 reps with 55 lbs.

Felt strong!

What a strange day today... very cold and gloomy and very uncharacteristic of late March. This kind of weather usually makes me tired, unemotional, and altogether, not in a great mood for workouts. And what a day was set up for me: deadlifts, pull ups, and rolling thunder. Needless to say, I could not care less about this workout while spending the last few grueling hours at work. Though I was looking at the time every few minutes, which did not seem to go by at all and each minute seemed to last an eternity, I was looking forward more to coming home and relaxing than attempting a new deadlift record. When I came home and had my delicious cup of coffee, which I always have prior to workouts, I told myself that it would be a great workout, though my whole body did not seem to believe it. I first tested myself on grippers with the #2 and though I closed it with both hands, the speed of the close told me that today was not the perfect day for lifting. And yet...

Despite all those circumstances, I decided to pull a DO deadlift max. I loaded up 420 lbs on the bar, put some chalk on my hands and suprisingly... the weight went up pretty easy! My grip started to give out toward the end of the movement, but it was a good lift! I was surprised to say the least, and if I can pull this on such a gloomy and altogether terrible day for lifting, I truly believe that I could pull close to 450 on a good day.

I finished off with 5 sets of 10 on pull ups with 20 lbs attached and did some RT work with 125 (haven't done these in what seems like an eternity.)

Now, it's time to relax...

3/26/11

Squats: 305 x 3 x 3

Pull ups: 55 lbs added x 5 x 3 sets. Decided to not do too many sets since I'm doing these again on Monday.

Military Presses: 115 lbs x 8 x 3 sets. Pretty easy!

Also did some 2HP with 90 lbs on John's device. Man, this thing is slippery as hell and doesn't hold chalk. I'm planning on ordering the Blob 50 and conentrating on that as my pinch goal.

Almost closed #3 today again. Two attempts were about 1 or 2 mm away. Just had the hand in the wrong position. I'm closing this thing this Friday, no other way about it!!!

3/30/11

Deadlifts: 365 lbs x 4 x 4! Happy with this.

Pull ups: 25 lbs attached x 10 x 3 sets.

Chin ups: 25 lbs attached x 9, 8.

Rolling Thunder: 127.5 x a few reps. Finished off with 115 x 5. Grip was dead at this point. I need to train this on a non-deadlift day!

3/31/11

I wasn't satisfied with my RT performance yesterday, so decided to do a quick work out today.

RT: 127.5 x 5 x 3 sets. 115 x 16. Much easier when fresh!

The friday workout is moved to Saturday, and that's when I am determined to close the #3 for the first time!