Heaviest Known Gripper Closes

Jared P
Cannon
Message added by Cannon,

This thread is for heaviest gripper close submissions and tracking. Please open separate threads to discuss individual videos.  

10 minutes ago, Cannon said:

No, I agree. I'm just saying it's a misnomer. In my opinion, the feat does not require a table. I think many share that opinion. 

Well, Tommy used a garbage receptacle for his "table".

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jchapman said:

I've never heard the term "total no set" until today.

This was debated HERE for example and the T meaning Total was brought up. The feat was passed as meeting the spirit of not positioning or setting the gripper with the off hand. 

Again, what I'm saying is that the feat absolutely got its name from the gripper starting on a table. But through the years the actual definition has become "not positioning or setting the gripper with the off hand" which can be satisfied without using a table. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This was debated HERE for example and the T meaning Total was brought up. The feat was passed as meeting the spirit of not positioning or setting the gripper with the off hand. 

Again, what I'm saying is that the feat absolutely got its name from the gripper starting on a table. But through the years the actual definition has become "not positioning or setting the gripper with the off hand" which can be satisfied without using a table. 

Ok, I know when I first started on the Gripboard (which was after you) there was a distinction made between a TNS and a NS gripper close.  This is very evident on the videos of Tommy and Carl-August as they make a point to pick up the gripper from a flat surface and never touch the gripper with the off-hand.  It sounds like we have moved passed this distinction, whether officially or through natural evolution of the feat.

2 minutes ago, josé adalton said:

David Shamey TNS a Silarukov 150 too (!), but we cannot see the tag. What's the RGC @SeNoLD?

This is an old school TNS close!!!!!

5 minutes ago, jchapman said:

It sounds like we have moved passed this distinction, whether officially or through natural evolution of the feat.

I disagree that we have moved past the distinction though. NS and TNS are still two different feats to this day. You can position the gripper with your off hand for NS. However, TNS requires no positioning by the off hand. The evolution was just to recognize a table is not required to ensure no positioning. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I think the distinction between TNS (no table required) and NS is not as important - especially to this list - as people would think. Or even the table vs. no table argument. Yes, using your off-hand to position a gripper would give some sort of a small advantage with potential leverage over a pure TNS where the off-hand doesn't come anywhere near the gripper at any point from first touching the gripper to closed, but I don't actually think that is the most important factor.

The most important factor is the distance between the handles - the larger the spread (with the same spring), the greater amount of force is required. A TNS is on average somewhere between 10-20mm wider than a CCS (depending on the gripper spread), which is the primary reason a TNS close is the most difficult possible (regular style) close - a gripper at its full natural spread. Everyone knows this of course, but I'm just asserting that this is likely more important than the TNS vs. NS distinction. And especially the table vs. no table distinction.

Perhaps a name change to Total No Set is due. But Table No Set, even if now a misnomer, has its historic charm.

Edited by Jared P

For me TNS is simply picking up the gripper from any (available) flat surface within the frame and closing it with only that hand making contact with the gripper.  I consider it the pinnacle of dominating a gripper and clear demonstration of crushing strength, dexterity, and skill.

I'd like to see the term Total No Set get some traction . . .Tommy didn't use a table for that BBSE close - but everyone at the time recognized the feat for what what it clearly was.  Perhaps the rebranding campaign should have started back then !

The term "Table No Set " will of course carry a certain sense of nostalgia and if people want to continue with it I won't complain.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2023 at 7:52 PM, Hubgeezer said:

I could be wrong, but I thought they were 2 1/2 inches..

I have what I call a "narrow gripper".  It was not made for me - I never knew such a thing existed - I just figured I got one that came out more narrow than average.  I know it RGCed at 141# but don't know the width (I'm not in the gym now). 

13 hours ago, josé adalton said:

David Shamey TNS a Silarukov 150 too (!), but we cannot see the tag. What's the RGC@SeNoLD?

Screenshot_20230405_165926_YouTube.thumb.jpg.8da93c908a3a477c95e8cfb37629d360.jpgScreenshot_20230405_165907_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9ba07ea0b3c3b30f9dcbe7b92e41569f.jpg

Edited by Seoyoon
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2023 at 6:04 AM, Jared P said:

I cannot clearly tell what the SGR tag in the video reads.

It looks like it could be 80, 82, or 87 to me.

80 sgr = 84.21 kg / 185.7 lbs rgc
82 sgr = 86.31 kg / 190.3 lbs rgc
87 sgr = 91.58 kg / 201.9 lbs rgc

Hard to make the connection that the gripper being calibrated in Vadim's video is the same gripper that Nikita CCS'd, unless the tag matched Vadim's measurement - which from my eyes, I cannot see a connection currently. Also, Nikita's close was posted a month after Vadim's calibration video, so the tag - if correct - would need to match to be the same CoC 4.

Edit: screenshots

ScreenShot2023-04-02at3_18_19PM.png.2760b36dca0367c5aa80a86c9fe54f51.pngnikita4ccs.jpg.69e40818b892cb9ef403481f0ed8eb46.jpgScreenShot2023-04-02at3_29_26PM.png.ff85ced44508411cc252e82aba833519.png

Hard to tell if this says 82 or 92.

If it is indeed the same gripper, at 92 sgr = 96.84 kg / 213.5 lbs rgc, it would be the heaviest recorded CCS ever done.

Also, not to be nitpicky, because it's still amazing either way, but the sliding of the card was dubious on both attempts.

Screenshot_20230405_172922_YouTube.thumb.jpg.441d142669caf437f08f3ec3550231c9.jpgScreenshot_20230405_173359_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9a0c78ab9bcb4b70393f73ac01875b98.jpg

Edited by Seoyoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seoyoon said:

Screenshot_20230405_165926_YouTube.thumb.jpg.8da93c908a3a477c95e8cfb37629d360.jpgScreenshot_20230405_165907_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9ba07ea0b3c3b30f9dcbe7b92e41569f.jpg

It's not exactly RGC. Rather SGR, like Murashkin's, you may have heard. 80 SGR ≈ 85RGC, but repeated measurement is always needed for reliability.

I will share my opinion about TNS. I think it's a vestige. The table does not complicate the installation in any way with one hand. The use of TNS in my video is exclusively the rules of certification

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Seoyoon said:

Screenshot_20230405_172922_YouTube.thumb.jpg.441d142669caf437f08f3ec3550231c9.jpgScreenshot_20230405_173359_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9a0c78ab9bcb4b70393f73ac01875b98.jpg

Thank you Seoyoon! Coming in clutch with the HD zoom, haha.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tiziano Becchio said:

today workout by powerball 😁

How much mm is the spring of that 400 lb model? Are the handles 18 mm thick?

PS: You should put in this topic only the heaviest closes. Amazing crush strength.

Edited by josé adalton
edit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nikita Yurkovets is doing reps on a Silarukov 150. Probably, he is top 5 in crushing strength globally, maybe number 1 left hand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, josé adalton said:

Nikita Yurkovets is doing reps on a Silarukov 150. Probably, he is top 5 in crushing strength globally, maybe number 1 left hand.

That is... INSANE.

Not only the heaviest recorded TNS ever done at 192 lbs, but also for REPS... with BOTH HANDS!

Unreal.

Nikita's highest TNS is 192.6 lbs, but his highest CCS (that I'm aware of) is 190.3 lbs.

He should theoretically be able to CCS 200+.

Potential big cert opportunities this year or next year that could be exciting:

CoC 4
- Carl Myerscough
- Ivan Cuk
- Nikita Yurkovets

CoC 3.5
- Tiziano Becchio
- Jaland Worley

Could be others also, not sure.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, josé adalton said:

PS: You should put in this topic only the heaviest closes. Amazing crush strength.

Ok Bro only haviest thnks for advice😁

6 hours ago, josé adalton said:

The spring its 8.24 mm

And the leg its  more big than the other i must misure it

List update.

After thinking about it more, it makes more sense to me to only show each person's max close per category/set, rather than having the Top 10 MMS closes all be one person, for instance. If people reach new PRs, the new PR will be what is listed, and the old PR removed.

I still keep all closes in a personal spreadsheet though, including the older PRs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, josé adalton said:

Martin Arildsson-Wahlström | parallel set | CoC #4 | RGC 207 lb as he said

Martin was unique in that almost every big close he achieved was done with both hands in the same video. However not this one I guess. 

• Like 1