Heaviest Known Gripper Closes

Jared P
Cannon
Message added by Cannon,

This thread is for heaviest gripper close submissions and tracking. Please open separate threads to discuss individual videos.  

5 hours ago, Tiziano Becchio said:

Today i do this certification , GM vano sukhasvili, 86.5 right hands with 20 mm block , mms and ghp block .

83.5 kg left hands 20 mm block and MMS set .

I don know but i think its Higher than Monster mash 6-7.

Amazing closes, man! 3rd highest in the GM ladder. Great job.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tiziano Becchio said:

Today i do this certification , GM vano sukhasvili, 86.5 right hands with 20 mm block , mms and ghp block .

83.5 kg left hands 20 mm block and MMS set .

I don know but i think its Higher than Monster mash 6-7.

Very impressive. Long pause and dynamic close. Your grip to weight ratio is off the charts. 

• Thanks 1

List updated.

- Unverified closes removed from main list. Only counting verified (recorded on video) closes.
- Rep counts removed; only taking into consideration RGC max for the sake of this list.
- Known RGC ratings given precedent over unknown ratings per gripper threshold (i.e. unrated CoC 4 automatically rates above unrated CoC 3.5). Average gripper RGC per CPW data given precedent for unrated grippers (CoC 4 has a higher average rating than GHP 9).
- Elite Class Gripper Athletes section added.

Edited by Jared P
  • Like 2

List updated, again. Pretty dialed in now.

- Updated and newly discovered entries into list
- Now includes stats section beneath Elite Class list, showing who has the most overall certifications, heavy closes, and weighted points on the list.

• Like 2

Really nice work on the the list I appreciate the amount of effort that you put into making this.  I would love to vote to get this pinned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2023 at 8:17 PM, Jared P said:

Nikita Yurkovets - IronMind CoC 4 (unknown RGC)

The CoC #4 closed by Nikita Yurkovets with CCS is a regular #4 ±212 lb RGC ( * , if you pause the video in a full screen, you can see it, **).

59 minutes ago, josé adalton said:

The CoC #4 closed by Nikita Yurkovets with CCS is a regular #4 ±212 lb RGC ( * , if you pause the video in a full screen, you can see it, **).

I cannot clearly tell what the SGR tag in the video reads.

It looks like it could be 80, 82, or 87 to me.

80 sgr = 84.21 kg / 185.7 lbs rgc
82 sgr = 86.31 kg / 190.3 lbs rgc
87 sgr = 91.58 kg / 201.9 lbs rgc

Hard to make the connection that the gripper being calibrated in Vadim's video is the same gripper that Nikita CCS'd, unless the tag matched Vadim's measurement - which from my eyes, I cannot see a connection currently. Also, Nikita's close was posted a month after Vadim's calibration video, so the tag - if correct - would need to match to be the same CoC 4.

Edit: screenshots

ScreenShot2023-04-02at3_18_19PM.png.2760b36dca0367c5aa80a86c9fe54f51.pngnikita4ccs.jpg.69e40818b892cb9ef403481f0ed8eb46.jpgScreenShot2023-04-02at3_29_26PM.png.ff85ced44508411cc252e82aba833519.png

Hard to tell if this says 82 or 92.

If it is indeed the same gripper, at 92 sgr = 96.84 kg / 213.5 lbs rgc, it would be the heaviest recorded CCS ever done.

Also, not to be nitpicky, because it's still amazing either way, but the sliding of the card was dubious on both attempts.

Edited by Jared P

I am just curious why Tiziano's 201 lbs RGC apparent #4 close was added to this list as a verified close, when there was an entire disaster of a thread debating whether it was legitimate or not. The conclusion of that thread was that his "friend", who owned the gripper, would not allow it to be sent to CPW for inspection. Additionally, the similar grippers that Carl Myerscough (apparently; I have never seen him state that he actually did this) sent to him to attempt to close, I don't believe that he closed any of those either. This was basically a hearsay close that was based around look what bodyweight I did this close at with a bunch of bicep and tricep flexing for the camera, and then there was never any actual proof or proven similar feats.

There was some deal made between CPW & Tiziano where CPW was going to send rated grippers for him to close & then send back, in a simulation of what it would be like to just jump to MM9 or whatever, since Tiziano has claimed Mash Monster is too expensive to bother with. It was never announced that this deal fell through until I ended up asking what ever happened with it several months later.

I'm just saying...that close caused quite a ruckus but I'm wondering at what point it was considered verified because at the end of the day that was just a training video with nobody reputable having inspected that gripper by hand.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm familiar with the history behind it. I believe in innocence until proven guilty.

He did just complete the GripperMania certification of 86.5 kg / 190.7 lbs with a 20mm block set, and the video looks legit to me. If I'm wrong, that's fine. But I believe he's the real deal, currently.

If anything changes either way as more information comes out, to either confirm or deny the accomplishments, I will edit the list as needed.

5 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I am just curious why Tiziano's 201 lbs RGC apparent #4 close was added to this list as a verified close, when there was an entire disaster of a thread debating whether it was legitimate or not.

I do feel like answering for a “disaster” falls on the debaters, not Tiziano. He got lit up and then quietly did a bunch of other feats and has tried to simply be part of the community. Also his coach—a very longtime member of the community—spoke out for him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In terms of what is 'verified' and not, only closes done in person, with the RGC being taken seconds beforehand or afterward could really be undeniable verified. But for the sake of this thread, I'm using the term in the context of being recorded on video. It does require some good faith in people being honest, and there is some unavoidable inaccuracies and discrepancies between rating systems and each individual rating, but I feel that this list mostly gives a fairly accurate broad idea of what has been done.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jared P said:

unless the tag matched Vadim's measurement - which from my eyes, I cannot see a connection currently.

He rounds 91.5 up to 92. For me it's 92.

image.png.6272e3e526bd2238dbd47384f3cdea11.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, josé adalton said:

He rounds 91.5 up to 92. For me it's 92.

image.png.6272e3e526bd2238dbd47384f3cdea11.png

This is the first one that stumps me as what to do. It does look like the same gripper rated at 92 sgr, but hard to confirm for sure. Also, his card slides probably wouldn't be accepted by IronMind, for instance. But for all intents and purposes, it was a CCS, minus a millimeter or two.

Curious what others think?

https://youtu.be/9A4rvV0ONvA?t=35

For the sake of this list, should we count this is as a CCS? And should we count the rating as 92 sgr / 212-213 lbs rgc? It would be the heaviest CCS ever verified on video, if so.

10 hours ago, Jared P said:

This is the first one that stumps me as what to do. It does look like the same gripper rated at 92 sgr, but hard to confirm for sure. Also, his card slides probably wouldn't be accepted by IronMind, for instance. But for all intents and purposes, it was a CCS, minus a millimeter or two.

Curious what others think?

https://youtu.be/9A4rvV0ONvA?t=35

For the sake of this list, should we count this is as a CCS? And should we count the rating as 92 sgr / 212-213 lbs rgc? It would be the heaviest CCS ever verified on video, if so.

If there's much doubt, then I don't think it should be counted.

• Like 1

In order to maintain the focus of this thread, I split off some posts into this other thread: 

• Thanks 3

Today workout 💪

Working several on wide and CCS set 

Edited by Tiziano Becchio
  • Like 3

Not to take away from the strength of the closes, but the only closes on the TNS list that are proven on the linked video source to be a TNS are the bottom two.  In fact, the top TNS close listed has a linked video source that shows definitively that it is not a TNS close.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

Not to take away from the strength of the closes, but the only closes on the TNS list that are proven on the linked video source to be a TNS are the bottom two.  In fact, the top TNS close listed has a linked video source that shows definitively that it is not a TNS close.  

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I do not personally feel that a "TNS" close has to involve a table at all. I believe many people--including me--understand TNS to mean something like "Total No Set". That is the spirit. 

The point has been made before that you could POSITION a gripper in your hand without setting it in any way, and then perform a "no set" close. Positioned, but not set. The extra step of placing the gripper on a table and picking it up with one hand is just to make it clear you did not position the gripper with your off hand. Once picked up, you can do literally anything with one hand that you want.

If the gripper is handled loosely with one hand, such as out on the finger tips, and then fiddled into position all in one hand, I personally believe that is a TNS close. The table adds nothing in this case.     

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cannon said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I do not personally feel that a "TNS" close has to involve a table at all. I believe many people--including me--understand TNS to mean something like "Total No Set". That is the spirit. 

The point has been made before that you could POSITION a gripper in your hand without setting it in any way, and then perform a "no set" close. Positioned, but not set. The extra step of placing the gripper on a table and picking it up with one hand is just to make it clear you did not position the gripper with your off hand. Once picked up, you can do literally anything with one hand that you want.

If the gripper is handled loosely with one hand, such as out on the finger tips, and then fiddled into position all in one hand, I personally believe that is a TNS close. The table adds nothing in this case.     

These guys are strong and the closes are truly amazing.  Each close was dominated.  

The category literally says Table No Set.

Table No Set (TNS) 
1. Nikita Yurkovets - Silarukov 150 (192 lbs RGC) - Verified [source]
2. Ivan Cuk - Grip Genie Level 6 (187 lbs RGC) - Verified [source]
3. David Shamey - Silarukov 140 (180 lbs RGC) - Verified [source]
4. Valery Tolstyh - CXP Vice-Admiral (180 lbs RGC) - Verified [source]
5. Dmitriy Khlyuzov - IronMind CoC 3.5 (171.5 lbs RGC) - Verified [source]
6. Nikita Yurkovets - GM Tetting Elite (170.9 lbs RGC) - Verified [source]
7. David Shamey - IronMind CoC 3.5 (unknown RGC) - Verified [source]
8. Gabriel Sum - IronMind CoC 3.5 (unknown RGC) - Verified [source]
9. Carl-August Mertz - Silarukov 140 (unknown RGC) - Verified [source]
10. Tommy Heslep - Narrow Tetting Super Elite (unknown RGC) - Verified [source]

1 minute ago, jchapman said:

These guys are strong and the closes are truly amazing.  Each close was dominated.  

The category literally says Table No Set.

No, I agree. I'm just saying it's a misnomer. In my opinion, the feat does not require a table. I think many share that opinion. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

No, I agree. I'm just saying it's a misnomer. In my opinion, the feat does not require a table. I think many share that opinion. 

Idk man, solid wood tables seem to make me stronger.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Idk man, solid wood tables seem to make me stronger.

Haha. To the point of @jchapman ... I believe that CCS requires a credit card. I think not actually using the credit card would just be a "wide set". 

But I believe TNS to be an antiquated misnomer. If the gripper is handled loosely with one hand--same as it would be the split second it left the table--I think you still satisfy the spirit of "totally no set."  

• Like 3

Just now, Cannon said:

Haha. To the point of @jchapman ... I believe that CCS requires a credit card. I think not actually using the credit card would just be a "wide set". 

But I believe TNS to be an antiquated misnomer. If the gripper is handled loosely with one hand--same as it would be the split second it left the table--I think you can still satisfy the spirit of "totally no set."  

I always thought it meant total no set, so I think you're right here.

• Like 1