Dubya's Escapades

dubyagrip

I wanted to put my left hand to the test while my right hand is at rest.

I did not intend for this to rhyme, but it is fine to rhyme from time to time.

• Like 5

Nice work

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

did a little farmer's walk with my blue pill and fatman

• Like 1

I’m sorry is that some kind of crash test dummy in the background?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I’m sorry is that some kind of crash test dummy in the background?

It is a grappling dummy for jiujitsu training.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dubyagrip said:

It is a grappling dummy for jiujitsu training.

Ok that makes a lot more sense than anything I could imagine that would be for ha. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Ok that makes a lot more sense than anything I could imagine that would be for ha. 

I second that

TdNXEB.gif

Great job with the farmers walk. Those blue/red pills are slick!

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, I set a fun non-strength related goal for myself this year to beat the original super mario bros in five minutes.

Looking at what I would need to do to achieve this, I ended up thinking that 5m 30s would be more reasonable for this year.  The combination and consistency of precise controller inputs is pretty difficult to pull off.

Well, I beat it in 5m 27s last week, and now I've lowered it to 5m 15s.  The record is 4m 54s and there is only .2 seconds left to improve it before the game has been played perfectly by a human or a computer.

I believe that speedrunning games like this is a great tool for developing mental toughness and resiliency. One mistake will ruin the entire run, and the margin for error only gets smaller as you get better. How long are you willing to grind? How many times are you willing to fail a technique before you give up and throw the controller across the room? I try to do 30 to 45 minutes of sessions a day and in those sessions, I hit the reset button maybe fifty or sixty times. 

Imagine, after a week of attempts you finally find yourself on a record pace as you enter the last stage of the game, are you going to step up and execute or choke and die under the pressure and be forced to hit reset yet again?

Lifting weights is easy by comparison.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

So, I set a fun non-strength related goal for myself this year to beat the original super mario bros in five minutes.

Looking at what I would need to do to achieve this, I ended up thinking that 5m 30s would be more reasonable for this year.  The combination and consistency of precise controller inputs is pretty difficult to pull off.

Well, I beat it in 5m 27s last week, and now I've lowered it to 5m 15s.  The record is 4m 54s and there is only .2 seconds left to improve it before the game has been played perfectly by a human or a computer.

I believe that speedrunning games like this is a great tool for developing mental toughness and resiliency. One mistake will ruin the entire run, and the margin for error only gets smaller as you get better. How long are you willing to grind? How many times are you willing to fail a technique before you give up and throw the controller across the room? I try to do 30 to 45 minutes of sessions a day and in those sessions. I hit the reset button maybe fifty or sixty times. 

Imagine, after a week of attempts you finally find yourself on a record pace as you enter the last stage of the game, are you going to step up and execute or choke and die under the pressure and be forced to hit reset yet again?

Love it, regardless of where you challenge yourself finding carryover is great. That's impressive. I suck at speedruns but one of my sons loves doing/watching them.  Outside of grip I challenge myself with guitar riffs, trying to play them as they were originally played. I can relate to the mess up and die/having to restart aspect so hard.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I believe that speedrunning games like this is a great tool for developing mental toughness and resiliency. One mistake will ruin the entire run, and the margin for error only gets smaller as you get better. How long are you willing to grind? How many times are you willing to fail a technique before you give up and throw the controller across the room? I try to do 30 to 45 minutes of sessions a day and in those sessions. I hit the reset button maybe fifty or sixty times. 

This is really impressive.

I grew up playing these games from because of my older siblings. But I was never good at them because I was like 4 or 5, then N64 came out then GTA and that was it. I was hijacking and going on 6star killing sprees by age 9.🤣

I've got so much respect for the 8 bit and 16 bit games now. They where really genius.  And the only way to get good was failing 10000 times and muscle memory.  I could never get past Aran Ryan in Super Punch Out. Doesn't matter how good you where, can't beat him you gotta start over.

My nephews are to lazy to even play video games. They watch youtube videos of guys playing Minecraft. 

• Thanks 1

That's awesome, and impressive.

I was more into the immersive worlds and music of games like Donkey Kong Country on SNES, or Downhill Domination on PS2, but was never any good at speedrunning them. In fact, I would stay on levels extra long just to soak in the music or the environment, or look for ways to explore the boundaries of the levels or game, or look for fun glitches and easter eggs. As an example, on a racing game, rather than try to break the track record, I'd waste 5 hours trying to land the car on top of a roof it wasn't supposed to be able to reach, for no reason.

• Like 2

250lb 3" saxon and a ton of deep squats

• Like 4

I feel like this is the Gripboard equivalent of Alexa listening to my conversations. I’ve been strongly considering getting an SSB lately, and @Nuttgens hops back on his log mentioning them and now you’re using one too. The universe is trying to tell me something. 

Killer squats. Love the ATG. 👍🏻

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I feel like this is the Gripboard equivalent of Alexa listening to my conversations. I’ve been strongly considering getting an SSB lately, and @Nuttgens hops back on his log mentioning them and now you’re using one too. The universe is trying to tell me something. 

Killer squats. Love the ATG. 👍🏻

I love low bar, but I have flexibility issues so they torch my wrists, which affects my grip training.  I prefer my SSB for this reason.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

I love low bar, but I have flexibility issues so they torch my wrists, which affects my grip training.  I prefer my SSB for this reason.

Makes sense. 

I’ve always done high bar. Comes from getting into squatting through an interest in Olympic weightlifting. I’m sure I could move a little more weight with low bar, but it just feels so weird to me. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Makes sense. 

I’ve always done high bar. Comes from getting into squatting through an interest in Olympic weightlifting. I’m sure I could move a little more weight with low bar, but it just feels so weird to me. 

SSB makes high bar easier, so my quads are enjoying it.  I do snatch grip deadlifts and good mornings after squats to make sure my posterior chain gets enough work.

5 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

SSB makes high bar easier, so my quads are enjoying it.  I do snatch grip deadlifts and good mornings after squats to make sure my posterior chain gets enough work.

That’ll do it alright. SGDL light up my upper back and traps. Really good stuff. 

• Like 1

Just now, DoctorOfCrush said:

That’ll do it alright. SGDL light up my upper back and traps. Really good stuff. 

My goal is to squat 500lbs this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

My goal is to squat 500lbs this year.

😳

Get after it. I’d love to see it.  

My goal is to be routinely squatting sets with a 3 in front. Even hitting 405 one day sounds like a fever dream, but who knows? I didn’t think I’d be approaching a 400 DL as quickly as I am, so maybe I’ll adjust expectations in the future. 

• Like 4

Just now, DoctorOfCrush said:

😳

Get after it. I’d love to see it.  

My goal is to be routinely squatting sets with a 3 in front. Even hitting 405 one day sounds like a fever dream, but who knows? I didn’t think I’d be approaching a 400 DL as quickly as I am, so maybe I’ll adjust expectations in the future. 

The most limiting factor is the mind, bro.

• Like 2

Truer words….

image.gif.0381258f5e7d4c68655d2e2c2905fe17.gif

• Like 4

a nice relaxing blob run

• Like 5

How far do you reckon you’d make it on Shaw’s big ole blob run?

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

How far do you reckon you’d make it on Shaw’s big ole blob run?

Blobzilla (130), at least.  Once I can lift blobzilla with my left, then I could definitely make it to the blobfather (140).

I start working on the shaw blob again after the arnold.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

Blobzilla (130), at least.  Once I can lift blobzilla with my left, then I could definitely make it to the blobfather (140).

I start working on the shaw blob again after the arnold.

What would your strategy be? Right/left/right/left? One hand till it burns out then the other? Two-at-time until you can't? I figure you've thought about it.