Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

15 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Harder for sure. I used to use the 10lb plates to simulate the inch height better but I switched those out for a bunch of 25's for convenience sake. You would think less rom therefore easier but the extra height from the 25's makes it want to rip out of your hand even more. It's nice that its 2.5" instead of 60mm so you're closer to the tougher inch style bells size. I find I get great carryover from the Pro DB to rolling handle lifts. Sucks it's a pita to build though 😁

Nice dude you’ll be ripping an inch dumbell  off the ground in no time. I have been really slacking on rolling handle or any thick bar stuff lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Nice dude you’ll be ripping an inch dumbell  off the ground in no time. I have been really slacking on rolling handle or any thick bar stuff lately.

Thanks buddy, but I'm still a ways off the inch I'd guess 😒 lol. Understandable though because you have the MM1 to think about and your pinch game has been really strong 💪 I do alot of thick bar because it's heavily contested in grip comps. I've been slacking hard on grippers for that reason, it's not in many comps and when it is it's usually the silver bullet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks buddy, but I'm still a ways off the inch I'd guess 😒 lol. Understandable though because you have the MM1 to think about and your pinch game has been really strong 💪 I do alot of thick bar because it's heavily contested in grip comps. I've been slacking hard on grippers for that reason, it's not in many comps and when it is it's usually the silver bullet. 

Yeah never seems to be in comps but I dunno to me it’s just the most fun. Plus I’m pretty close to going for a few of the certs so that’s motivating.

• Like 1

No training today but I wanted to do an update. I just purchased a bunch of steel and I'm going to be attempting to go down the bending rabbit hole. I bought the FBBC Beginners Bag, Ironmind Bag of Nails and an extra set of imps. I'll document the journey here on the board. No doubt there will be many failures and hopefully some success. The resources on the board have been heaven sent in helping me understand the basics. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

No training today but I wanted to do an update. I just purchased a bunch of steel and I'm going to be attempting to go down the bending rabbit hole. I bought the FBBC Beginners Bag, Ironmind Bag of Nails and an extra set of imps. I'll document the journey here on the board. No doubt there will be many failures and hopefully some success. The resources on the board have been heaven sent in helping me understand the basics. 

Good luck and remember, while using IMP's that chalk is your friend. How much? More than you're thinking. Yes, still more than that. More. More! MORE!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, stranger said:

Good luck and remember, while using IMP's that chalk is your friend. How much? More than you're thinking. Yes, still more than that. More. More! MORE!!

Thanks bro! Your training log has helped a great deal. I'll remember what you told me. Tommy J and EJ videos have installed that in my brain lol.....more chalk!! I was kind of hesitant about bending worried it could interfere with grip but I realize I'm not the next Tanner or Carl so f it I might as well try out something that interests me. The community seems great also 👍

• Like 4

Aug 31 2022 training. 

2H Flask-1x1(162lbs)

1H Flask-1x1(84lbs)*lh only

LBH-1x1(160lbs)*PR 1x5(132lbs)

Blue Fat Gripz DB Wrist Curl-5x5(heaviest was 47.5lbs)

DB Wrist Extensions-5x8(heaviest was 20lbs)

Had a great training day with @Nuttgens He closed the MM1 for a number of singles throughout the workout. It was very cool to get to see a Mash Monster gripper in person and help film the attempt. Had fun doing some KK prep. This was the most I have ever 2H or 1H pinched on any device and it was my first time ever trying the flask. I also broke my lbh PR by 8 or 9 lbs. Steve put up some huge numbers on the various implements 💪 

• Like 7

Sep 3 2022 training. 

Neutral Grip Weighted Pullups-14x2+5kg? added

DB Finger Curls-6x12(65lbs was my best result)

We have a little weight room at my job so I squeezed this session in between working flights lol. I performed all 14 sets of pullups with all of my work gear on and ppe(steel toes etc.) which I'd guess added 5kg? I do these very strict with long pauses and from a dead stop. Probably the exact opposite of a Crossfit kipping style pullup. I've never done db finger curls instead only barbell so I was quite pleased with getting the heaviest db's in our weight room lol. Also got in another session since Steve owned the MM1. Just some bb squats at 275 for dubs & trips nothing fancy. 

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Sep 3 2022 training. 

Neutral Grip Weighted Pullups-14x2+5kg? added

DB Finger Curls-6x12(65lbs was my best result)

We have a little weight room at my job so I squeezed this session in between working flights lol. I performed all 14 sets of pullups with all of my work gear on and ppe(steel toes etc.) which I'd guess added 5kg? I do these very strict with long pauses and from a dead stop. Probably the exact opposite of a Crossfit kipping style pullup. I've never done db finger curls instead only barbell so I was quite pleased with getting the heaviest db's in our weight room lol. Also got in another session since Steve owned the MM1. Just some bb squats at 275 for dubs & trips nothing fancy. 

Thats pretty cool... Do you work at an airport?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thats pretty cool... Do you work at an airport?

Yeah I'm a ramp agent for a major airline. Fun job and occasionally I get to use my grip strength 😁 working on the hot tarmac all day makes me tired so I always drink coffee before and during my grip workouts to get me through lol. Seems like alot of us gripsters and/or benders work blue collar jobs. 

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 2

Sep 8 2022 thickbar training. 

Fat Gripz One Deadlift-1x1(315lbs), 1x0(335lbs)*lockout then slipped, 4x1+hold(315lbs)*2 sets sumo 2 sets conventional

Blue Fat Gripz Deadlift-3x1(280lbs)*PR

Orange Fat Gripz Deadlift-4x1+hold(205lbs), 6x1(185lbs)*really long hold on last rep

Skipped a proper warmup today and payed the price. Previous fat gripz one PR was 345lbs, so I was going for 355lbs+ today. I learned my lesson. At least a blue fat gripz PR was salvaged. Today was one of the first times trying doh orange fat gripz deadlift. It feels almost like a wide pinch for me lol. Did some heavy benching the day before with a ton of dips, tricep & shoulder work. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Fat Gripz One Deadlift-1x1(315lbs), 1x0(335lbs)*lockout then slipped, 4x1+hold(315lbs)*2 sets sumo 2 sets conventional

Orange Fat Gripz Deadlift-4x1+hold(205lbs), 6x1(185lbs)*really long hold on last rep

Skipped a proper warmup today and payed the price. Previous fat gripz one PR was 345lbs, so I was going for 355lbs+ today. I learned my lesson. At least a blue fat gripz PR was salvaged. Today was one of the first times trying doh orange fat gripz deadlift. It feels almost like a wide pinch for me lol. Did some heavy benching the day before with a ton of dips, tricep & shoulder work. 

Nice one, and congrats for the PR👍

Maybe you're instinctively pinching the FGE, because your wide pinch is so damn strong 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Strong lifts man! Did your bending stuff show up yet?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, matek said:

Nice one, and congrats for the PR👍

Maybe you're instinctively pinching the FGE, because your wide pinch is so damn strong 😄

Thanks alot man! 😁 I respect your 215lb lifts on this exercise 💪 The extremes really trashed my hands and I could see them maybe transfering well to wide pinch. I recently watched Tanner Merkle's 365lb orange extreme doh deadlift and it's mind boggling what is possible. I sometimes wonder if a human could get to 405+ on the extremes lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuttgens said:

Strong lifts man! Did your bending stuff show up yet?

Thanks buddy. No I wish lol. It's saying the package will arive on Monday 🤞kind of nervous but equally excited to give bending a try. 

• Like 1

Sep 9 2022 beginning bending journey? Steel arrived early on Friday so I got started right away. 

DO in single IMP's

2 white nails

2 green nails

1 yellow nail attempt(kink only)

First time bending any steel 😁 The white and green nails felt easy but the yellow stopped me. I couldn't get into a power position at all on the yellow for some reason. The slight kink I managed felt purely from the hands and wrist with nothing coming from my upper body 😒 clearly I need alot of practice with the DO technique. I think bigger things can come once I learn what the hell is going on haha. 

572019782_image0(8).jpeg

• Like 4

Sep 10 2022 DU Bending

DU bending in single IMP's

1 white nail

1 green nail

1 yellow nail

1 blue nail attempt-kink only off 9 hits

DU felt much more natural than DO. I really thought I could get the blue but it wasn't meant to be. My wrapping abilities are awful and sloppy. Hand placement and really the whole nine is just terrible which hopefully is a good thing in that I can keep progressing from here. My hands are trashed in a different way then I've felt before. I can see why bending is so addictive. 

1612135739_image1(6).jpeg

• Like 5

Nice bends dude! It's definitely a skill as well, so with your powerlifting background I'm sure you'll progress really fast. 

Here is a wrapping tutorial from Jan (Horrido bending):

Take your time with wrapping, and if it's loose, redo it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, matek said:

Nice bends dude! It's definitely a skill as well, so with your powerlifting background I'm sure you'll progress really fast. 

Here is a wrapping tutorial from Jan (Horrido bending):

Take your time with wrapping, and if it's loose, redo it. 

Thanks Matek! It's a fascinating sport and sub culture to me. One thing I like and appreciate about bending is that your mind state can take you further. If someone benches 150kg they can't just enrage themselves to do 200kg. In bending however it seems like mental state/abilites really do account for some of the results. Other strength style sports never felt that way to me. 

I'll watch the video from Jan. I watched the video from Tommy J on how to wrap and that helped alot 😁 btw I saw you're the leader on DU bending over at Bend Sport Canada, very cool 💪 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks Matek! It's a fascinating sport and sub culture to me. One thing I like and appreciate about bending is that your mind state can take you further. If someone benches 150kg they can't just enrage themselves to do 200kg. In bending however it seems like mental state/abilites really do account for some of the results. Other strength style sports never felt that way to me. 

I'll watch the video from Jan. I watched the video from Tommy J on how to wrap and that helped alot 😁 btw I saw you're the leader on DU bending over at Bend Sport Canada, very cool 💪 

Yeah, you really have to channel your everything into a bend. There’s mental  skill that must be developed and something I’m finding can be applied to all aspects of life. 

• Like 2

Sep 17 2022 KK training.

2H 2" AASS Pinch Block-1x1(157lbs)*warmup for 1H pinch

1H 2" AASS Pinch Block-1x1(74lbs)*PR 3x2(67lbs) 3x3(63lbs)*RH only to bring up weakness

AASS Finnish Ball-3 sets of 12 second holds(28lbs, 33lbs, 38lbs)*felt like a PR may have been in me today 😎

Seated Axle Wrist Curls-5x10(85lbs)*PR

Seated Axle Reverse Wrist Curls-4x8(45lbs)

I've been to the gym 3 out of last 4 days. Feeling a little beat up but not terrible. Really want to bend more but with KK coming I'm trying to stay on track lol. I've noticed my hands just aren't conditioned enough for my liking, bending in single IMP's. 

• Like 5

Nice one! Strong thick bar wrist curls 👍

7 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Really want to bend more but with KK coming I'm trying to stay on track lol. I've noticed my hands just aren't conditioned enough for my liking, bending in single IMP's. 

Probably a good idea, since you have a competition coming up. Btw another minimal single pad option is to use suede leathers cut to 12" x 4". In my opinion, the single point pressure is higher, but it's very easy to grab/hold and it doesn't "files" your skin like cordura sometimes. And incomparably easier to wrap it super tight.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Nice one! Strong thick bar wrist curls 👍

Probably a good idea, since you have a competition coming up. Btw another minimal single pad option is to use suede leathers cut to 12" x 4". In my opinion, the single point pressure is higher, but it's very easy to grab/hold and it doesn't "files" your skin like cordura sometimes. And incomparably easier to wrap it super tight.  

Thanks alot Mate! I've recently been looking at the Bend Sport Canada 4" x 12" leather wraps. My only hesitancy is alot of advice I've been finding online seems to suggest getting used to bending in single imps to toughen the hands and to limit the steel you can bend. I'm assuming in an attempt to prevent injuries. I'd love to try to cert someday maybe on the Amarok bolt using the DU style so I would need to get used to the leathers. Makes sense you can get a tighter wrap I'm guessing due to the texture and material vs the cordura pads. 

I love watching your big DU bends 💪 very inspiring for me. It will be crazy to see you try the Nanook bolt DU! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks alot Mate! I've recently been looking at the Bend Sport Canada 4" x 12" leather wraps. My only hesitancy is alot of advice I've been finding online seems to suggest getting used to bending in single imps to toughen the hands and to limit the steel you can bend. I'm assuming in an attempt to prevent injuries. I'd love to try to cert someday maybe on the Amarok bolt using the DU style so I would need to get used to the leathers. Makes sense you can get a tighter wrap I'm guessing due to the texture and material vs the cordura pads. 

I love watching your big DU bends 💪 very inspiring for me. It will be crazy to see you try the Nanook bolt DU! 

BSC leathers are great wraps, probably my favorite. As for hand toughness, yea you'll get more hand conditioning from IMP's but BSC's are pretty slim for leathers. You'll still get good conditioning from them. If you're gonna bend and grip in the same workout, do the bending last. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Using single suedes, I don't get bigger bends compared to IMPs. Not sure what kind of leather exactly is the BSC wrap, but as Chaz said, those are actually pretty slim (3-4oz). I wouldn't overthink the hand conditioning thing as long as you bend in singles. Maybe bend a few in IMPs, then switch to leathers. 

Yes you're right, you can get a tighter wrap because of the texture, and also you don't have to deal with three layers.

Thanks a lot! I tried and failed a few days ago😂. I managed to bend it only to ~10 degrees (in doubles), and even that took more than 5 mins (posted a picture in my log). That bolt is really strange because based on the rating, it shouldn't be a huge problem for me, considering I've bent stuff with higher ratings multiple times. But at the same time, it's a 5/16" x 6" G5 bolt - and putting it this way it makes sense that I couldn't bend it. Josh told me it was rated independently by a Russian and an American bender, and the 515lbs is the average. So I don't know... maybe differences between batches, or I had a really bad day. 

Good luck with the Amarok!💪

• Like 3