Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

Sep 21 2022 thick bar, wrist & bending training. 

IM Stacker Curl-1x12, 1x8, 1x6, 3x4(22lbs top set)*possible PR?

FBBC Pro DB-16x1(100lbs)*switched between pronated grip and neutral grip each set. No tilt, very strict lifts. 

Single IMP's DU Bending-1 x yellow nail*1 hit

1 x blue nail*4 hits in 3 mins PR!

Pronation with belt & loading pin-3x10-12

1867499881_image0(11).jpeg

• Like 6

Sep 26 2022 Pinch training/KK training

2H 50mm Silarukov Pinch Block-1x1(159.4lbs)*PR 

AASS Finnish Ball-Lots of attempts at 50lbs. None of them to legal 13" height imo. 3x3(40lbs)

2H 50mm Silarukov Pinch Block-4x4(132lbs)+hold on last rep

Wanted to do wrist work after pinch like I usually do but I don't think they're recovered enough. My body is still adapting to bending. Finnish Ball is as frustrating as ever lol but slowly building momentum on the 2H pinching. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Oct 2 2022 thick bar & wrist training

60mm Silarukov Rolling Handle-1x1(140lbs), 4x2(132.5lbs,130lbs,127.5lbs,125lbs), 1xamrap(105lbs)

IM Wrist Reinforcer-all directions for sets of 10-12 reps

Oct 5 2022 pinch & wrist training

2H 50mm Silarukov Pinch Block-1x1(162lbs)*PR, 2x5(132lbs), 2x8(127lbs)

IM Wrist Roller-3x5(30lbs) 

Did a bending day also practicing strict DU bending to really hit the wrists and grip. I like this style but it really humbles you in comparison to the modified DU style. Still want to improve my thick bar numbers and get those up higher! Oddly enough my 2H pinch PR was noticeably easier than the previous weeks lol. 

• Like 6

Oct 10 2022 thick bar and deadlift training

DOH Conventional Deadlift-1x1(405lbs)*easy+long hold

Fat Gripz One Deadlift(1.75")-1x2(295lbs) 1x1(315lbs) 1x1(335lbs) 1x1(350lbs)+5lb PR 

Blue Fat Gripz Deadlift-8x1(255lbs)+hold 2x2(225lbs)+hold

• Like 6

Oct 14 pinch & wrist training

IM Stacker Curls-1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4, 1x2, 1x1(24lbs)*PR

2H 80mm Pinch Block-1x1(154.4lbs)*PR, 3x3(134lbs)+hold on last rep

Wrist Reinforcer-very strict light-medium reps

• Like 8

Oct 17 2022 hub & v bar training

IM Hub-1x1(52.4lbs)*PR, 1xfail(54lbs)*alot of attempts to various heights

GG Hilt(strict no rotation)-1x1(173lbs)*PR 

Very happy with todays session given I seldom ever train hub & v bar. I did warmups between 2-8 reps up to the max sets. For the hub sets I perform high pulls instead of a deadlift style because for some reason it feels stronger despite the greatly increased rom. All loading pin lifts I do are on the 12" pin not the 15". Recently switched from using cheap chalk to the Friction Labs brand and I can notice the difference 👍 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very happy with todays session given I seldom ever train hub & v bar. I did warmups between 2-8 reps up to the max sets. For the hub sets I perform high pulls instead of a deadlift style because for some reason it feels stronger despite the greatly increased rom. All loading pin lifts I do are on the 12" pin not the 15". Recently switched from using cheap chalk to the Friction Labs brand and I can notice the difference 👍 

Congrats on the PRs. Strong lifts. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Strong!! 

By the way, I also just noticed a few days ago that my loading pin looks small. Mine is 11” (my carabiner is big though, so essentially about the same as yours). Want to see the difference so I ordered a cheap 15” one.😄

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, matek said:

Strong!! 

By the way, I also just noticed a few days ago that my loading pin looks small. Mine is 11” (my carabiner is big though, so essentially about the same as yours). Want to see the difference so I ordered a cheap 15” one.😄

Thanks! Ah cool to see a fellow gripster who uses a smaller loading pin. I know @strangersometimes uses a 7" pin I believe. I have standard(1") plates hence why I use the 12" IM loading pin. Not sure if it makes the lift much harder or not but I find using 2" Olympic size plates on the thicker 15" loading pins adds stability to the lift. As opposed to the 12" with standard plates which kind of revolves more probably making the lifts harder? During the only GS competition I did I found everything felt easier on the 15"+olympic plate combo 🤔 I'm curious to hear your findings over time when you get more feedback from your lifts 👍

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks! Ah cool to see a fellow gripster who uses a smaller loading pin. I know @strangersometimes uses a 7" pin I believe. I have standard(1") plates hence why I use the 12" IM loading pin. Not sure if it makes the lift much harder or not but I find using 2" Olympic size plates on the thicker 15" loading pins adds stability to the lift. As opposed to the 12" with standard plates which kind of revolves more probably making the lifts harder? During the only GS competition I did I found everything felt easier on the 15"+olympic plate combo 🤔 I'm curious to hear your findings over time when you get more feedback from your lifts 👍

I also have standard plates at home, and this 28cm/11" loading pin was the cheapest I found 😅 (about 10$). The 15" I ordered is also for standard plates btw. None of them are IM, because except grippers, everything IM is so expensive here you would be shocked (actually, it would be cheaper to order from the official site and pay for international shipping). 

Interesting what you say about the stability factor! Would be nice to try it someday.👍

• Like 1

Oct 20 2022 bending

DU bending single IMP's-1 green nail

1 yellow nail

1 blue nail(1 hit)

1 yellow nail

Went to the gym before this workout and did some strict OHP+tate presses. Did squats yesterday and lots of cardio. I had set a goal to DU bend a blue nail on 1 hit by the end of this year so I'm really pleased I made that a reality today. I find you really need to hold the initial kink hit as long as possible and it really starts to move. I guess the next goal is to DU the red 🤔 

I picked up a 15 pack of Miller High Life afterwards and thought of you @Blacksmith513 😄🍻 I'd send one through the computer screen if I could lol. 

1300727441_image1(8).jpeg

1295957834_image2(3).jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I had set a goal to DU bend a blue nail on 1 hit by the end of this year so I'm really pleased I made that a reality today. I find you really need to hold the initial kink hit as long as possible and it really starts to move. I guess the next goal is to DU the red 🤔 

Congrats dude, great progress!
Don't get me wrong, the red (or any 5/16" CRS) is a very good goal but if you want to stick with single IMPs/suedes, I recommend you set some intermediate goals. This can be some drill rod, a bolt, or just other CRS/stainless in-between. You mentioned you want to do the Amarok, that's a 1/4" G5 (in my opinion, a very good goal). I know the Blue nail is also 1/4", but you will be surprised how tough those hardened bolts can be. Anyways just my two cents, you do you!👍💪

Edited by matek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Congrats dude, great progress!
Don't get me wrong, the red (or any 5/16" CRS) is a very good goal but if you want to stick with single IMPs/suedes, I recommend you set some intermediate goals. This can be some drill rod, a bolt, or just other CRS/stainless in-between. You mentioned you want to do the Amarok, that's a 1/4" G5 (in my opinion, a very good goal). I know the Blue nail is also 1/4", but you will be surprised how tough those hardened bolts can be. Anyways just my two cents, you do you!👍💪

Thank you very much for the kind words! I've heard that the gap between a bue and red is huge. I have a bag of FBBC nails and bolts which I hope to use to work on strengthing the gap. Good to know about the Amarok bolt. In your opinion would you say bolts rated to the same poundage could be harder than nails or bars?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I have a bag of FBBC nails and bolts which I hope to use to work on strengthing the gap.

Nice to hear!

16 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

In your opinion would you say bolts rated to the same poundage could be harder than nails or bars?

It depends on the material, but if you're aiming for 40 degrees required for DU and reverse, not really. On the other hand, if you want to do a full bend, the hardened bolts and stainless are definitely harder than a CRS rated at the same poundage. Steel rating with the Krahling method is only until 30 degrees, but certain materials tend to become more springy than others at the crush. 

But so much depends on the manufacturer and batch... You can get a 1/4" Grade 5 that's about the same or even easier than a 9/32" CRS, but in an extreme case, it will be close to a Red/Bastard/A2 bolt. Also, I've never bent a Blue nail, but the Red I bent was slightly harder than the Bastard or the 5/16" CRS I usually bend (my usual CRS is very close to the steel from FBBC). But some people had the opposite experience in the past... Alloys have ranges/tolerances for their chemical composition, and a little bit more Carbon here, a little bit more Manganese there, and while being the "same" material, it's much harder for us to bend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, matek said:

Nice to hear!

It depends on the material, but if you're aiming for 40 degrees required for DU and reverse, not really. On the other hand, if you want to do a full bend, the hardened bolts and stainless are definitely harder than a CRS rated at the same poundage. Steel rating with the Krahling method is only until 30 degrees, but certain materials tend to become more springy than others at the crush. 

But so much depends on the manufacturer and batch... You can get a 1/4" Grade 5 that's about the same or even easier than a 9/32" CRS, but in an extreme case, it will be close to a Red/Bastard/A2 bolt. Also, I've never bent a Blue nail, but the Red I bent was slightly harder than the Bastard or the 5/16" CRS I usually bend (my usual CRS is very close to the steel from FBBC). But some people had the opposite experience in the past... Alloys have ranges/tolerances for their chemical composition, and a little bit more Carbon here, a little bit more Manganese there, and while being the "same" material, it's much harder for us to bend. 

Thank you Matek! This all seems like really valuable information. I'm still trying to learn all of this stuff so your reply simplifies things alot more! 

tbh for the certifications I suppose it would depend on the criteria. For instance for Bend Sport Canada I might attempt 40 degrees+ but in the case of IM it would be under 2" as it is the standard requirement. I am aware that IM changed the rules and they seem more vague at this point. Not sure if DU performed in the modified technique would be accepted or if they would expect strict DU which in that case I'd have no chance lol. I currently only bend DU style because I just haven't been able to figure out DO 😒  I know I should try out reverse but I really enjoy DU so much I've just stuck with that thus far. I'm hoping the fact you are allowed to bend in double leathers for the Bend Sport Canada certs could help me more so than the basic single IMP's I'm currently using. 

I realize that the steel varies much like the RGC calibrations for grippers but in your opinion would the Moose Bars be roughly about the same strength as a Red Nail or Bastard? I see you're still the man to beat on the DU cert list. How's the Nanook quest coming along? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

For instance for Bend Sport Canada I might attempt 40 degrees+ but in the case of IM it would be under 2" as it is the standard requirement.

Yeah that's because IM never had a style bend. Gods of Grip (UK) is the same. When there is a style bend cert, DU and reverse are almost always to 40 degrees.

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I am aware that IM changed the rules and they seem more vague at this point. Not sure if DU performed in the modified technique would be accepted or if they would expect strict DU which in that case I'd have no chance lol.

Right, the rules were changed just when I started bending. It's not like you're not allowed to do modified DU per se, but it would be unfeasible to do it with the pads touching in the middle haha (requirement, as far as I remember), so conventional DU is the logical choice. And even if someone DU it to ~100 degrees, there is the crush... Anyways, there are a few active benders who could do it, but everybody is very disappointed in IM, and there are several much better certs with style bends and great people behind them (Horrido, BSC, ECGB). You can imagine that as a newbie bender, all that drama around the rules changing, etc. didn't really make the Red cert/IM very appealing to me 😅. But that's the cert; that steel was still a "standard" in steelbending for many years, so I also wanted to bend it. I DU bent it in single leathers, and that's the Red for me. 

9 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I currently only bend DU style because I just haven't been able to figure out DO 😒  I know I should try out reverse but I really enjoy DU so much I've just stuck with that thus far.

I see no problem with this. The main point is to enjoy it of course and seems like you're having a good time👍. Maybe you will have the motivation in the future to figure out DO. 

I'm hoping the fact you are allowed to bend in double leathers for the Bend Sport Canada certs could help me more so than the basic single IMP's I'm currently using.

Besides the elite benders list (basically a singles DO list), you can use doubles in all other certs - including the DU cert. So yes, you can use doubles (and several people did so on that list). The IMP + leather combo will give you superpowers lol but based on my experience, you need practice in doubles to get good in doubles. It will be strange after IMPs, because you will be able to really utilize your upper body strength. 

I realize that the steel varies much like the RGC calibrations for grippers but in your opinion would the Moose Bars be roughly about the same strength as a Red Nail or Bastard?

I have/had only one batch of each (all bent in single veg-tan leathers), and based on that: Bastard ->Moose->Red

I see you're still the man to beat on the DU cert list. How's the Nanook quest coming along? 

Yeah, but several people could do the same or better (including myself 😄). Probably other people have the same thing in mind as me: DU the Nanook. Which will take some time. I have a feeling that the Nanooks I have would not rate at 515... I think if I can do the Nanook (6"), I can do the Horrido 8.8 (7"). 

Sorry for the wall of text lol, I'm drinking my second Saturday morning coffee 😄

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

Yeah that's because IM never had a style bend. Gods of Grip (UK) is the same. When there is a style bend cert, DU and reverse are almost always to 40 degrees.

Right, the rules were changed just when I started bending. It's not like you're not allowed to do modified DU per se, but it would be unfeasible to do it with the pads touching in the middle haha (requirement, as far as I remember), so conventional DU is the logical choice. And even if someone DU it to ~100 degrees, there is the crush... Anyways, there are a few active benders who could do it, but everybody is very disappointed in IM, and there are several much better certs with style bends and great people behind them (Horrido, BSC, ECGB). You can imagine that as a newbie bender, all that drama around the rules changing, etc. didn't really make the Red cert/IM very appealing to me 😅. But that's the cert; that steel was still a "standard" in steelbending for many years, so I also wanted to bend it. I DU bent it in single leathers, and that's the Red for me. 

I see no problem with this. The main point is to enjoy it of course and seems like you're having a good time👍. Maybe you will have the motivation in the future to figure out DO. 

Besides the elite benders list (basically a singles DO list), you can use doubles in all other certs - including the DU cert. So yes, you can use doubles (and several people did so on that list). The IMP + leather combo will give you superpowers lol but based on my experience, you need practice in doubles to get good in doubles. It will be strange after IMPs, because you will be able to really utilize your upper body strength. 

I have/had only one batch of each (all bent in single veg-tan leathers), and based on that: Bastard ->Moose->Red

Yeah, but several people could do the same or better (including myself 😄). Probably other people have the same thing in mind as me: DU the Nanook. Which will take some time. I have a feeling that the Nanooks I have would not rate at 515... I think if I can do the Nanook (6"), I can do the Horrido 8.8 (7"). 

Sorry for the wall of text lol, I'm drinking my second Saturday morning coffee 😄

Thanks again for the info on bending! No worries about the text I'm a coffee lover myself lol. Nice to hear your input on only bending in the DU style. I guess I was just concerned with developing imbalances etc. I feel fine doing that style only though so perhaps I'll continue on 😁 

• Like 1

Oct 26 2022 wrist, grippers & thick bar workout. 

IM Stacker Curls-1x8, 1x6, 1x4, 1x2, 1x2, 1x2(24lbs)*rep PR

MMS Grippers-top set GHP 5(122)x1

FBBC Pro DB-3x1(119lbs), 6x1(123.6lbs)*PR & bigger plates used for additional rotation

Decided not to do KK this year. Not really enjoying the Finnish Ball tbh lol. I'm planning on continuing my thick bar, pinch and bending training which seems to keep me motivated to train 😁

• Like 7

Oct 31 2022 pinch & wrist training

1H 60mm GoG Pinch Block-1x1(83.4lbs)*PR

1H 60mm GoG Pinch Block 5ct Timed Holds-4x1(73.5lbs)

Seated Axle Wrist Curls-4x12(85lbs)*should have gone heavier

Seated Axle Reverse Wrist Curls-3x12(52lbs)

• Like 7

Nov 6 2022 thick bar & wrist training

IM Stacker Curls-1x5, 1x4, 1x3, 1x2, 1x2, 1x2, 1x2(25.6lbs)*PR

FBBC Pro DB(2.5")-4x1(126lbs)*PR, 12x1(98lbs)*intentionally used difficult technique

Very happy with todays session. I've been digging through old threads on the board about how to lift the inch. One thread mentioned lifting the inch with the wrist straight above the handle as opposed to using the cupped wrist position. I found out today I'm alot weaker using the straight wrist position so I decided to do the drop sets with this technique. It seems to require insane amounts of thumb strength. I did the 4 heavy singles with the cupped wrist and it felt much stronger and more natural. As usual I used 25lb plates for added rotation/difficulty. To anyone who may be curious I use the stacker as a makeshift loadable plate curl device. I always try to control the eccentric portion lowering it slowly to build more strength instead of guiding it down with my off hand. I've been doing more levering lately also which I didn't log. Below is a pic of the heaviest bell I built & lifted today. 

image0 (13).jpeg

• Like 7

Nov 9 2022 pinch training

2H 50mm Silarukov Pinch Block-1x1(164lbs)*PR, 1xfail(167lbs)*good air 3x1(157lbs)

1H 50mm Silarukov Pinch Block-3x2(66lbs), 3x1(71lbs)

I was going to do some strict DU bending afterwards but my wirsts are fried. 

• Like 6

Nov 15 2022 wide pinch & wrist training

2H 80mm Silarukov Pinch Block-1x1(154lbs)*tied PR, 1xfail(156lbs)*good air

2H 80mm Silarukov Pinch Block Timed Holds-2x12 seconds(139lbs) 2x10 seconds(141lbs)

Seated Axle Wrist Curls-3x10(90lbs)*PR

Seated Axle Reverse Wrist Curls-3x10(47lbs)

• Like 6