Armlifting Training Report

Bigfoot Grip

On 1/30/2022 at 7:15 AM, Bigfoot Grip said:

Late night training after work. 

1H 3" Pinch Block-1x1(71lbs)*PR with a nice hold at the top. Maybe had 75lbs in me today. 3x5 drop sets(61lbs,56lbs,51lbs)

Wrist Reinforcer-3 rounds in all directions. Heaviest was 13lbs?

Can't wait for my SIlarukov order to arrive! Ugh my rolling thunder is slowly binding up and the handle doesn't rotate as well as it used to. I would have done rolling handle+levering as todays protocol but I'm getting disgusted with my RT lately lol. It will be nice to get a proper rolling handle(60mm silarukov) and get going with that. Lately my back has been wrecked from work so I'm idealy hoping to use a loading pin+rolling handle for thick bar work to spare my back lol. I have started doing sumo axle and it defintely feels better and distributes the weight more evenly through the whole body I find. Unfortunately I find I pull identical numbers on the axle regardless of conventional or sumo stance. So no "cheater" deadlifts for me 😁

Awesome pinching, congrats. Is the the 3" Ironmind blockbuster? 

Ive only tried Axle deads a handful of times but always found i can pull smidge more sumo but i just dont like it so stick to conventional.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome pinching, congrats. Is the the 3" Ironmind blockbuster? 

Ive only tried Axle deads a handful of times but always found i can pull smidge more sumo but i just dont like it so stick to conventional.

Thanks for the kind words brother! I wish it was on the Blockbuster lol unfortunately it was the 3" Arm Assassin block. I find I can no longer progress on the BB because it is just too slick lol. No matter what I do the weight stays the same....59lbs all time PR that's it 😒 haha. I get zero friction with the BB ugh. Arm Assassin on the other hand hold chalk very well and I can progress at a much better rate. Its funny though my 3" pinch remains better than my 2" despite average hands. I just go with it at this point and do my best. 

I like axle deadlifts but they get frustrating lol. I hit 295lbs and never moved past that. @ZRMMAgave me sound advice and said to mix up the widths more often to try to progress. I think I may try to use my fat gripz more often and see if that helps boost the regular 2" or 50mm axle. I suspect my conventional & sumo are identical because I pull very narrow frog stance conventional so the ROM is virtually the same on both styles. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

59lbs all time PR that's it 😒 haha. I get zero friction with the BB ugh. Arm Assassin on the other hand hold chalk very well and I can progress at a much better rate.

My Blockbuster is very slick, too, and frustrating for that purpose because I don't feel like it lets me work up the weight because of the slickness, even with chalk.  I have noticed that other people's better-seasoned blockbusters allow me to go 10-20 pounds higher than mine.  I suppose I could spend more effort seasoning it, but it was either lost in the move I made in November or is hidden in my storage unit, so it'll be a while before I can act on that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vinnie said:

My Blockbuster is very slick, too, and frustrating for that purpose because I don't feel like it lets me work up the weight because of the slickness, even with chalk.  I have noticed that other people's better-seasoned blockbusters allow me to go 10-20 pounds higher than mine.  I suppose I could spend more effort seasoning it, but it was either lost in the move I made in November or is hidden in my storage unit, so it'll be a while before I can act on that.

I've read threads here on the GB and on the IM board about gripsters using sand paper to roughen up the surface. It makes sense but my hesitation is what if I get a false sense of hope on a good textured block only to go to a grip meet that contests it and I bomb out. I love the quality of the device itself I just wish the paint texture was different. I've always wanted to try out the Grip Genie Block because their website claims "grippy black paint" and see how it compares to the IM counterpart. I looked into it online but their isn't much talk about the GG grip implements. Mainly just the grippers and sometimes RGT are what comes up in the searches. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

what if I get a false sense of hope on a good textured block only to go to a grip meet that contests it and I bomb out.

I have usually found the implements at grip meets better seasoned than my own, and usually get PRs at meets.  This may be because the implements at meets are likely used more often than mine (they are usually at gyms and used by many, as opposed to my personal ones that get used less frequently).  But I guess it depends on who is hosting.  Jedd's implements are universally well-seasoned and I usually PR on them.  Maybe not so at other meets.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

I have usually found the implements at grip meets better seasoned than my own, and usually get PRs at meets.  This may be because the implements at meets are likely used more often than mine (they are usually at gyms and used by many, as opposed to my personal ones that get used less frequently).  But I guess it depends on who is hosting.  Jedd's implements are universally well-seasoned and I usually PR on them.  Maybe not so at other meets.

Hey Vinnie I would give a thank you but I've reached my quota for the day lol. Good to know about meets having seasoned equipment. I've always wondered if they break out new gear for it vs use seasoned gear to give people a better shot at a PR or record. I've also wondered if these contests use the higher end chalk such as viking or Sorinex Mighty Mitts as opposed to cheaper gym chalk 🤔

10 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thanks for the kind words brother! I wish it was on the Blockbuster lol unfortunately it was the 3" Arm Assassin block. I find I can no longer progress on the BB because it is just too slick lol. No matter what I do the weight stays the same....59lbs all time PR that's it 😒 haha. I get zero friction with the BB ugh. Arm Assassin on the other hand hold chalk very well and I can progress at a much better rate. Its funny though my 3" pinch remains better than my 2" despite average hands. I just go with it at this point and do my best. 

I like axle deadlifts but they get frustrating lol. I hit 295lbs and never moved past that. @ZRMMAgave me sound advice and said to mix up the widths more often to try to progress. I think I may try to use my fat gripz more often and see if that helps boost the regular 2" or 50mm axle. I suspect my conventional & sumo are identical because I pull very narrow frog stance conventional so the ROM is virtually the same on both styles. 

The BB sure is slick thats for sure, texture is everything when it comes to pinch. Ive managed to get a bit of chalk to stick but not much at all and its took along time. 

I think it depends on what you train the most with regards to being best at on pinch. I mainly train in the 60mm width. 

I never axle deads but my baseline always sits at about 275lb-280lbs what is not that bad since i never train them or really do any lower body work anymore. Yesterday i did 264lbs for 4 and just missed the 5th what surprised me. 

Anyway keep up the great lifting man.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

The BB sure is slick thats for sure, texture is everything when it comes to pinch. Ive managed to get a bit of chalk to stick but not much at all and its took along time. 

I think it depends on what you train the most with regards to being best at on pinch. I mainly train in the 60mm width. 

I never axle deads but my baseline always sits at about 275lb-280lbs what is not that bad since i never train them or really do any lower body work anymore. Yesterday i did 264lbs for 4 and just missed the 5th what surprised me. 

Anyway keep up the great lifting man.

60mm seems like a great wisth because it about covers plate pinches, the flask, euro etc. seems like a good in between wide and narrow pinch. 

275 is strong on doh axle imo. It's a tricky event for many of us. I've gotten great tips and pointers from guys like Adam and it seems just be patient. It developes for some at a slower rate over time vs other areas of grip. 

Will be good to see you close the new GoG gripper 👊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

60mm seems like a great wisth because it about covers plate pinches, the flask, euro etc. seems like a good in between wide and narrow pinch. 

275 is strong on doh axle imo. It's a tricky event for many of us. I've gotten great tips and pointers from guys like Adam and it seems just be patient. It developes for some at a slower rate over time vs other areas of grip. 

Will be good to see you close the new GoG gripper 👊

Agreed 60mm is an all around good width..i find the RGT has great carryover to 60mm pinch as well.

Yeah axle progression does seem slower but ive never really trained it, ive only done it about 5 total times with mine, my main focus is rolling handles for thick bar training.

Thanks the Elite 5 came yesterday, i Made a post about it in the Gods of grip post on here in equipment. 

Ill try it in a couple of days once im more rested.

• Like 1

Good day of training today...

2 3/8" Wrist Wrench-1x1(70.6lbs)*PR RH & LH, shady single 1x1(73lbs) RH only

IM Hub-1x1(45lbs)*PR RH only, 8x1(39lbs)

Nick Jenkins RT hold challenge-26 seconds LH, 24 seconds RH. The premise of this challenge is load 4 25lb plates to a loading pin and perform a rolling thunder hold for time. I held it suitcase style like Nick does in the yt video. Not sure if I could of done better had I have held it in front of my body. Gives a crazy wrist+forearm pump 💪 did 2 more sets at this weight but couldn't best my initial set. 

• Like 4

Pinch & V Bar training today...

2H 2" Pinch Block-1x1(147.5lbs)+5lb PR

2 3/8 Jug Replica-1x1(160lbs)+10lb PR

2H 2" Pinch Block-2x5(120lbs, 115lbs) 1x30 second hold(110lb)

Plate Curl-10x1 with thin challenging 25lb Cap plate

IM Stacker Curl-1x10(15lbs)

Very happy with the current progress I'm making. I studied how guys like Lucas and Jedd lift v bars and I changed my technique to the staggered stance+supinate to pronate grip and I could feel the difference! Before I would just pronate hard and I always felt it held me back but I was scared of a bicep injury. Surprisingly the method that the PA lifters use didn't seem too much harder on my bicep but I know I have to be cautious.

Another training observation is it seems as though v bar benefits the most from just doing other things. I find if I don't bother with it much and do other grip+wrist+back work it goes up a fair amount. Other gadgets like say the hub I need to specifically train on to make progress. lol grip sport is so weird sometimes 🤔

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Pinch & V Bar training today...

2H 2" Pinch Block-1x1(147.5lbs)+5lb PR

2 3/8 Jug Replica-1x1(160lbs)+10lb PR

2H 2" Pinch Block-2x5(120lbs, 115lbs) 1x30 second hold(110lb)

Plate Curl-10x1 with thin challenging 25lb Cap plate

IM Stacker Curl-1x10(15lbs)

Very happy with the current progress I'm making. I studied how guys like Lucas and Jedd lift v bars and I changed my technique to the staggered stance+supinate to pronate grip and I could feel the difference! Before I would just pronate hard and I always felt it held me back but I was scared of a bicep injury. Surprisingly the method that the PA lifters use didn't seem too much harder on my bicep but I know I have to be cautious.

Another training observation is it seems as though v bar benefits the most from just doing other things. I find if I don't bother with it much and do other grip+wrist+back work it goes up a fair amount. Other gadgets like say the hub I need to specifically train on to make progress. lol grip sport is so weird sometimes 🤔

Awesome session. Well done on the P.Rs. i love v bar but never really train it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome session. Well done on the P.Rs. i love v bar but never really train it.

I could see you being good at it with all the wrist and curl work you do 💪

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I could see you being good at it with all the wrist and curl work you do 💪

Well the first time i tried it on the 50mm hilt i got 92kg/203lbs and the 2nd time 95kg/209lbs right hand and was breaking 100kg/220lbs off the floor. I only got 85kg/187lbs left though. Im stronger now though so who knows.

Ive only tried it a few times but it takes so long to warm up to the weights plus its not a priority.

• Like 1

Grippers, plate curls & thick bar today...

IM blue egg+stacker curls warmup

38mm Block Set Grippers-1x1 CoC 2.5(132) RH, 1x?(borderline) GHP 6(134), 1xfail SG Fe(135)

25mm Block Set RB Adjustable-4x5(heaviest set was 9-9 easy spring)

RT Suitcase Hold-1x30s LH 25s RH(110lbs), 1x45s RH 1x43s LH(85lbs)

IM Stacker Curl-1x12(15lbs)

Haven't logged my gym workouts and some grip assistance workouts lately. Mostly these consisted of cupped neutral grip pullups, squats, monkey grip deadlifts, pony clamp, levering etc. 

Love the new SG Fe gripper! The SG's seem to really ramp up at the end and I could see them having great carry over to the CoC's & GHP's 😎

image0 (9).jpeg

• Like 5

Pinch training today 🦞 gotta work those McLobsters haha. 

2H AASS 3" pinch block-1x1(152.5lbs)*PR, 1xfail(156lbs) good air though

IM Hub-1x1(46lbs)*PR LH, 1x1(44lbs)*PR for RH

2H AASS 3" pinch block(volume work)-4, 5, 5 with 127lbs+holds

Pony Pinch-3x12

Good session today, got some nice holds at the lockout on the 3" block just to hold myself accountable. Hub lift was an all out 100% max. Probably going to pursue some more sub max-near max work for a bit then test again. 

• Like 4

Thickbar training today...

Inch lifts(2.5" FBBC)-18x1(109lbs) each arm

Rolling Thunder Suitcase Hold-1x25 seconds RH 1x20 seconds LH with 112.5lbs

Good session overall today, I decided to try out the Thomas Inch style lifts using bigger plates to generate more rotation based off the advice from the Gip Board. I used 25lb plates instead of 10's to accomplish this. 

Going to register for my first ever grip meet the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships held in Regina on May 15. Probably should start taking the axle & fat gipz dl more seriously lol. @Nuttgens you going? 

image0 (10).jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Thickbar training today...

Inch lifts(2.5" FBBC)-18x1(109lbs) each arm

Rolling Thunder Suitcase Hold-1x25 seconds RH 1x20 seconds LH with 112.5lbs

Good session overall today, I decided to try out the Thomas Inch style lifts using bigger plates to generate more rotation based off the advice from the Gip Board. I used 25lb plates instead of 10's to accomplish this. 

Going to register for my first ever grip meet the Canadian National Grip Sport Championships held in Regina on May 15. Probably should start taking the axle & fat gipz dl more seriously lol. @Nuttgens you going? 

image0 (10).jpeg

I was thinking about it. Was actually gonna ask you the same thing. I wasn’t sure if you had to qualify for it or anything like that or if it’s just open to anyone and wasn’t sure about it being on the Sunday might be tough to get the Monday off work. 

What’s your plan? You gonna drive or fly?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I was thinking about it. Was actually gonna ask you the same thing. I wasn’t sure if you had to qualify for it or anything like that or if it’s just open to anyone and wasn’t sure about it being on the Sunday might be tough to get the Monday off work. 

What’s your plan? You gonna drive or fly?

I was thinking the same thing about qualifying but I think it's open to anyone. Guess I'll find out when I msg Brad. I think you're a threat to podium or first place finish in the under 105's open class! 

I'm planning on driving and doing an extended trip with my fam, probably to the Cypress Hills & maybe Waterton after the meet. Hope you can make it out or qualify(if it's a requirement). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

I was thinking the same thing about qualifying but I think it's open to anyone. Guess I'll find out when I msg Brad. I think you're a threat to podium or first place finish in the under 105's open class! 

I'm planning on driving and doing an extended trip with my fam, probably to the Cypress Hills & maybe Waterton after the meet. Hope you can make it out or qualify(if it's a requirement). 

I thought it was only one weight class of 105kg. But yeah let me know what you find out. If I actually have any shot of a half decent finish I would like to go. Sucks it’s all the way in Regina. Just looked at flights too expensive looks like I would be driving. Do you have the crusher and the tips tester?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I thought it was only one weight class of 105kg. But yeah let me know what you find out. If I actually have any shot of a half decent finish I would like to go. Sucks it’s all the way in Regina. Just looked at flights too expensive looks like I would be driving. Do you have the crusher and the tips tester?

Yeah I wasn't sure about weight classes? I thought it was under 105kg and over 105kg but you could be right. 

Sucks about flights, at least the weather by then should be good for driving. 

I don't have either but I have some experience testing out those devices. I found the crusher numbers were similar to the rolling thunder v3. Seems like it carries over just fine same with other rolling handles or loadable db's I'd imagine. Never used a tips tester but I did try several adjustable thick bars which Ithink are similar and it seems the other general grip stuff we do carries over. You should have no problem putting up respectable numbers 💪

Edited by Bigfoot Grip
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Yeah I wasn't sure about weight classes? I thought it was under 105kg and over 105kg but you could be right. 

Sucks about flights, at least the weather by then should be good for driving. 

I don't have either but I have some experience testing out those devices. I found the crusher numbers were similar to the rolling thunder v3. Seems like it carries over just fine same with other rolling handles or loadable db's I'd imagine. Never used a tips tester but I did try several adjustable thick bars which Ithink are similar and it seems the other general grip stuff we do carries over. You should have no problem putting up respectable numbers 💪

Yeah so it is over 105 and under 105 but any lifts you do will go under your weight class online which I was just checking out and I should be able to have a spot on the leaderboards kinda in the middle for my weight class so I think im gonna try to make the trip and do it. Should be a good time and if I can do half decent even better. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah so it is over 105 and under 105 but any lifts you do will go under your weight class online which I was just checking out and I should be able to have a spot on the leaderboards kinda in the middle for my weight class so I think im gonna try to make the trip and do it. Should be a good time and if I can do half decent even better. 

You would be one of the front runners to win the 93's. Also the Crusher weighs alot more than the RT but tbh I found this was not problematic at all. Given your general body strength I'd guess you would have no issue making the transition. Plus they cost $234 from Grip n Bend so not cheap 🤑

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

You would be one of the front runners to win the 93's. Also the Crusher weighs alot more than the RT but tbh I found this was not problematic at all. Given your general body strength I'd guess you would have no issue making the transition. Plus they cost $234 from Grip n Bend so not cheap 🤑

Time to start hitting hit block buster and the little big horn. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thickbar & Hub training today.

60mm Silarukov Rolling Handle-5x5(105lbs)+hold last rep of every set

IM Hub-9x1(41lbs)*volume PR

Very happy with my new Silarukov rolling handle. Holds chalk well and has a nice texture. It feels harder than my RT but I havn't tried maxing on it for a more accurate comparison. I guess this kicks off GS Canadian nationals prep 😁

• Like 3