Gripper training questions

Nuttgens

9 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I think I need to start squatting twice a week again.  I was when I was doing Candito 6-week a little while back, and I seemed to respond well. It seems like my body can adapt best to 2x/week squatting and 1x/week deadlift (+1/week deadlift variation). I was thinking of getting the SSB for move volume-style stuff, like 6-10s, where it would be more comfortable for that kind of thing. Then the other day would be typical back squat. I tried doing volume front squat, but I felt like my legs were not the limiting factor when trying to do high rep front squat. 

Exactly why I got it. Squats twice a week beat me up the skin on my back would be scraped up and it was hard on my elbows and I tried front squats and it felt horrible for me. Pretty sure I got the squat twice a week idea from the candito 6 week also I ran that program for a solid year or two a while ago. Right now I do a squat day with deficit deadlifts then a deadlift day with SSB squat so 1 deadlift+ 1 variation a week and 1 squat+ 1 variation a week.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Nice gripper work. I used all my likes today too

Thanks man. Haha yeah I haven’t been on here for a while so I was catching up on stuff and ran out of likes pretty quickly. How’s your training? 3.5 cert this year a possibility?

3 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Exactly why I got it. Squats twice a week beat me up the skin on my back would be scraped up and it was hard on my elbows and I tried front squats and it felt horrible for me. Pretty sure I got the squat twice a week idea from the candito 6 week also I ran that program for a solid year or two a while ago. Right now I do a squat day with deficit deadlifts then a deadlift day with SSB squat so 1 deadlift+ 1 variation a week and 1 squat+ 1 variation a week.

Ha, wild the similarities there! Sounds like I'll be picking one up in not too long to push these stubborn legs. 

I'm running a bastardized version of Alex Bromley's Bullmastiff at the moment (I don't have equipment for some of the accessories, and I don't have safety measures to bench alone), and I'm liking it.  I'm thinking I might run it through one more time (it's pretty long at 19 weeks) and then jump back into Candito for a little while with some beefed up training maxes and see how that goes. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Ha, wild the similarities there! Sounds like I'll be picking one up in not too long to push these stubborn legs. 

I'm running a bastardized version of Alex Bromley's Bullmastiff at the moment (I don't have equipment for some of the accessories, and I don't have safety measures to bench alone), and I'm liking it.  I'm thinking I might run it through one more time (it's pretty long at 19 weeks) and then jump back into Candito for a little while with some beefed up training maxes and see how that goes. 

I can’t even remember where my program came from now it’s a bastardized version of something I forget what it started as. I just found candito didn’t have enough bench work for me my bench was stalled pretty bad on it worked great for my squat and deadlift though. 
I bench in my squat rack for safety just set up The safeties as high as possible without the bar touching them each rep.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Thanks man. Haha yeah I haven’t been on here for a while so I was catching up on stuff and ran out of likes pretty quickly. How’s your training? 3.5 cert this year a possibility?

My training is going great, I'd say 3.5 cert within probably a year or two if not a bit later, I'm definitely enjoying the process and the training, which has been showing steady progress for quite some time now, i think my gripper potential is finally beginning to show, trying to progress through the mid 180s and into the 190s right now. It's a fun time

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

I can’t even remember where my program came from now it’s a bastardized version of something I forget what it started as. I just found candito didn’t have enough bench work for me my bench was stalled pretty bad on it worked great for my squat and deadlift though. 
I bench in my squat rack for safety just set up The safeties as high as possible without the bar touching them each rep.

I'm going to get some safeties once we move to/build a new house. Hopefully in the coming year. The space I have doesn't really allow for me to put them anywhere when not using them. Who know? I may cave and get some before then and just figure something out though 🤣 I've heard that complaint about bench with Candito. 

I think I'm going to have figure something out with my OHP accessory stuff for the next go-around on Bullmastiff because it just feels like it's creeping along. 

2 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

My training is going great, I'd say 3.5 cert within probably a year or two if not a bit later, I'm definitely enjoying the process and the training, which has been showing steady progress for quite some time now, i think my gripper potential is finally beginning to show, trying to progress through the mid 180s and into the 190s right now. It's a fun time

Mid 180s is awesome dude. Super impressive. I’m still stuck in the 160s haven’t been training grippers very much recently though should probably start going a little harder again and push for the #3 cert though.  Would like to get that done one day. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I'm going to get some safeties once we move to/build a new house. Hopefully in the coming year. The space I have doesn't really allow for me to put them anywhere when not using them. Who know? I may cave and get some before then and just figure something out though 🤣 I've heard that complaint about bench with Candito. 

I think I'm going to have figure something out with my OHP accessory stuff for the next go-around on Bullmastiff because it just feels like it's creeping along. 

Makes sense it gets easy to run out of space in the home gym. Haha if you wanna spend even more money I OHP twice a week once with power bar once with a Swiss bar it’s for sure not a must have though. I just like blowing my money on gym stuff. 

8 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Makes sense it gets easy to run out of space in the home gym. Haha if you wanna spend even more money I OHP twice a week once with power bar once with a Swiss bar it’s for sure not a must have though. I just like blowing my money on gym stuff. 

Oh i know it.  A couple weeks ago, I just about convinced myself I need a Transformer bar.  Plus, I really want an open trap bar. And a multi-handle camber bar. And an axle. And new colored bumpers..... It's just never ending. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Oh i know it.  A couple weeks ago, I just about convinced myself I need a Transformer bar.  Plus, I really want an open trap bar. And a multi-handle camber bar. And an axle. And new colored bumpers..... It's just never ending. 

Haha it really is never ending 

And that doesn't include all the grippers and other obscure grip implements haha. 

Just now, DoctorOfCrush said:

And that doesn't include all the grippers and other obscure grip implements haha. 

Yeah my basement is out of hand it’s like a commercial gym down there 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Mid 180s is awesome dude. Super impressive. I’m still stuck in the 160s haven’t been training grippers very much recently though should probably start going a little harder again and push for the #3 cert though.  Would like to get that done one day. 

Thank you. Yeah, training grippers would help, it's not going to happen by accident. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen

55 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

Thank you. Yeah, training grippers would help, it's not going to happen by accident. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen

Exactly. Trying to push my thickbar right now though and it leaves my hands too fatigued to push grippers up at the same time.

• Like 1

Incline bench 3 sets 8 reps 205lbs

chin ups 3 sets 7 reps 75lbs

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 60lbs 

face pulls 3 sets 15 reps 170lbs

2.25 crusher 4 sets 10 reps 153lbs 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Incline bench 3 sets 8 reps 205lbs

chin ups 3 sets 7 reps 75lbs

DB curls 3 sets 10 reps 60lbs 

face pulls 3 sets 15 reps 170lbs

2.25 crusher 4 sets 10 reps 153lbs 

What equipment are you doing the face pulls on?

Just like the tower cable pully thing with the weight stack you put a pin in

• 1 month later...

Finally got a close in the gg6 I got from @dubyagrip I’m pretty sure it was a close anyways. It would be my highest rgc close yet. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Finally got a close in the gg6 I got from @dubyagrip I’m pretty sure it was a close anyways. It would be my highest rgc close yet. 

Hell yeah, awesome!

• Like 1

Way cool nice work

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nuttgens said:

Well done man. Textbook parallel set, too.

#30 MMS on the Heaviest closes list.

• Thanks 1

Todays training

deadlift 4 sets 2 reps 515lbs

safety bar squats 3 sets 4 reps 360lbs

Crunches 

leg curls 

worked up to a PR on the little big horn hit 215 to lock out then  218 almost to lock out. 

• Like 6

Tested my squat bench deadlift today. Didn’t go great squat 415 my best is 425, bench 310 for a 5 pound PR deadlift 535 tied my old PR. Tested my DOH deadlift though and basically got 495 it slipped out like right at the ground.

• Like 3

Squat bench deadlift today 

• Like 5

Nice work 

• Thanks 1