Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

20 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice! What kind of guitar?

I just brought my Taylor GS Mini this time. Last vacation I actually brought my SG and my Yamaha THR amp 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I just brought my Taylor GS Mini this time. Last vacation I actually brought my SG and my Yamaha THR amp 😂

Nice, Ive got a couple sgs. Cool guitars. I own a Taylor Big Baby, it was my first, i don’t play it enough but every time I pick it up I have a hard time putting it down.

I really want a baritone guitar for some spaghetti western surf rock sounding stuff.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice, Ive got a couple sgs. Cool guitars. I own a Taylor Big Baby, it was my first, i don’t play it enough but every time I pick it up I have a hard time putting it down.

I really want a baritone guitar for some spaghetti western surf rock sounding stuff.

I love my Taylor too. I actually got a really good deal on it when I bought my Taylor 324ce at GC. It was a special deal they were doing. 

And yeah, a sweet Gretsch or Danelectro baritone is on my short list for purchasing one day. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I love my Taylor too. I actually got a really good deal on it when I bought my Taylor 324ce at GC. It was a special deal they were doing. 

And yeah, a sweet Gretsch or Danelectro baritone is on my short list for purchasing one day. 

a man after my own heart. I love Gretschs, miss old two but I have a Brian Setzer Hot Rod, it is so nice. I'm eyeing a Danelectro baritone, or sell off a bunch of stuff and buy a Rickenbacker. 

I have vowed that I will one day have a Malcolm Young signature. It's overpriced, but it has the cool factor. Back in Black was the first album I ever bought for myself and the one that started to get me thinking about playing way back when. I'd love to have an Angus signature SG and Malcolm signature Gretsch sitting next to each other one day. 

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

sell off a bunch of stuff and buy a Rickenbacker

Yep, a bunch of stuff haha. Those things have a high cool factor too though. I've never played one myself. I figure the covered fretboards might take some getting used to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I have vowed that I will one day have a Malcolm Young signature. It's overpriced, but it has the cool factor. Back in Black was the first album I ever bought for myself and the one that started to get me thinking about playing way back when. I'd love to have an Angus signature SG and Malcolm signature Gretsch sitting next to each other one day. 

Yep, a bunch of stuff haha. Those things have a high cool factor too though. I've never played one myself. I figure the covered fretboards might take some getting used to. 

Go for it, they don't loose value, as long as bills are paid and mouths are fed. Tell your wife i said its ok.🤣

I had a Kurt Cobain Mustang, bought it for $600, sold for like $1100.. Now they are going for over $2000 last I checked. I too want a Malcolm Young sig, there is something about single pickup guitars and they sound when being strummed.   I admire both Young brothers but even Angus knows.. Malcom was AC/DC... 

45 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I admire both Young brothers but even Angus knows.. Malcom was AC/DC... 

Yeah, when I was younger, Angus was everything. Now that I have listened to them for as long as I have, I find myself focusing on the left headphone/speaker so much more. Powerage front to back is the first thing I listened to to get me hype for driving to the beach with the wife and little ones at 2 AM on Sunday morning. 

• Like 2

Workout 4/6/23:

Death by Kettlebell Swings (2-hand): 32kg x 17 minutes (153 reps)
Turkish Getups: 32kg x 10 singles

Those KB swings had my forearms burning. It's been a while since I've done a significant amount of them. This workout really got the ole heart going. Here's what my watch recorded during the workout. You can see the waves when I peaked on my swings, rested and started my TGUs, then finished with a cool down:

IMG_A50C0AB23C52-1.thumb.jpeg.ddc3db5da8f8149790a41cc3adf85f47.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice work, yeah kettlebells are killer on the forearms.

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work, yeah kettlebells are killer on the forearms.

For sure. They're probably my favorite overall implement. I've accrued 13 of them now, mostly competition-style, including two that are adjustable 12-32kg. I've done hundreds if not thousands of swings over the years, and I credit them with keeping my grip at a passable level during residency when I wasn't doing anything specifically grip-centric. At my height of using them, I was able to do my one-handed swings and Turkish getups with the 48kg/106# bell, but I'm not at that level of conditioning currently. 

• Like 1

This prompted me to look back to when I was using the 48kg bell. Pardon the half-nakedness:

• Like 1

Way cool , super strong 💪 

Workout 4/7/23 (BEACH):
This was the last day at the beach, so the PRs below were bitter-sweet. 

GRIPPERS
Right:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis Adjustable T-rex (140) x 4 singles; Silvis Adjustable T-rex (120) x 5, 5, 5
     Negatives: CoC 3 (146) x 1, 1, 1

Left:
     Warmup
     MMS: GHP6 (126) x 4 singles; GHP5 (109) x 5 x 3 sets
     Negatives: CoC 2.5 (134) x 1, 1, 1

MMS PR for the left! And first time back in the 140s on the right since starting back. The singles felt better on the left, and the reps better on the right. I'll probably stay at these weights for the next workout to really make sure I'm crushing the handles before moving up. 

• Like 1

Workout 4/8/23:

Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4,5*]x1, [1,2,3,4]x4 (i.e. 21 working sets)

*34kg/hand for a set of 5 isn’t an all-time PR, but it is a recent PR. Or at least I was pretty sure I had done a set of five previously. The closest thing I could find on video was a triple at that weight from November 2019.

I got cocky after the set of five went up without too much struggle. Then I got the those last two sets of 4 (working sets 17 and 21)…..I fought for those fourth reps. 

Not the best framing. 

• Like 3

Workout 4/10/23:

Was supposed to do this yesterday, but I was zapped from the built up fatigue of traveling and my long press workout Saturday. Glad I waited the extra day in the end. 

A. Back squat: Warmup, 100kg x5, 5, 8
B. Plate pinch curl: 5kg (2x2.5kg) x 10, 12, 12, 12, 12
A. Front squat: 65kg x 4 sets of 5
B. Seated RGT cable row: 25kg x 4 sets of 10 /hand

Back squats felt pretty good today. 100kg x8 yields a projected 1rm of ~125kg, which I would be pretty stoked to hit. I would love to actually hit 136kg because I have never squatted 300lb. I'm pretty sure my PR back squat was 132kg back when I was into olympic weightlifting (holy crap that was 10 years ago. . .). The funny thing is my best clean and jerk at that time was either 110 or 112, and my best snatch 87.5kg, so overall relatively high percentages of my back squat. But obviously never strong. In the intervening time, I have just never had either the setup or time to focus on it. I'm hoping that I'm building enough consistency to finally push past it. It's about damn time. 

I like the plate pinch curls. Keeping it light to start out in my cycle. Not sure how I'm going to scale up just yet, but I'll play around with it next week. 

I was supposed to do 5 sets of the front squat/row work, but it was already taking a long time, and I needed to go pick up my girls, so I shaved off the last set for today. 

• Like 3

Workout 4/12/23:

Grippers DE

Right: 
        1" GHP Block: Silvis T-Rex Adjustable (120) x 12 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush:  GHP6 (126) + CPW Bumper, 2 full turns x 3*, 6, 6, 6, 6

Left: 
        1" GHP Block: CoC 2 + CPW Bumper, 1 full turn x 12 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: GG4 (115) x 6, 6, 6, 6, 6

Strap Wrist Extensions: 5kg x 12, 12, 12, 12, 12 (each hand; done between click close sets)

*That first set was just a weird brain fart/bad set on my part. The sets felt good after that. I'll consider this the first dominant workout for each of these grippers. If I'm dominant again next week, I advance in weight. That will probably mean attempting the 126 for my R doubles, 2-3 bumper turns on the L doubles (vs. the GHP5 109), 4 turns on my R click closes (vs my new RB240N in the mail; 131 + some filing), and the Silvis at 120 for my L click closes. 

• Like 4

Workout 4/13/23:

A. Standing calf raises: 5 sets of 50
B. Fat Gripz hammer curls: 13kg/hand x 5 sets of 12; final set followed by drop set of 8 cheat curls
C. Belt squat: 20kgx10, 40kgx10, 55kgx10, 70kgx8*
D. Landmine wrist curls: Olympic bar, 10kg x 15, 15, 15, 15, 20 (each hand)

*So this was my first time trying out my belt squat setup, and I started pretty light. The 70kg set was feeling good, but the velcro on the belt I was using ripped off mid-set. I didn't feel like unloading and re-setting up the belt squat apparatus, so I just stopped there. In hindsight, I probably should have reset the belt before my sets, but I'll pay closer attention next time.  I'm hoping the belt isn't a dud that just won't work for this application. I feel like sets in the 80-90kg range are going to be where it's at.  

I'll go up in weight on the hammer curls and wrist curls next workout. 

• Like 3

killer workout

• Thanks 1

Workout 4/14/23:
Today was a 'character building' workout. 

GRIPPERS
Right:
     Warmup
     MMS: BBSM (139) x 4 singles; Silvis Adjustable T-rex (120) x 3, 3, 4  (last week was 3 sets of 5)
     Negatives: GHP7 (143) x 1, 1, 1

Left:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis T-rex adjustable (120) x 4 singles; GHP5 (109) x 5, 4, 4 (last week was 3 sets of 5)
     Negatives: RB240N, filed (~132-133) x 1, 1, 1

I realized pretty quickly that I had not rested enough since my last gripper workout, which was Wednesday (dumb, I know). Plus, I did the Fat Gripz curls and wrist curls yesterday. In hindsight, I should have just done my pressing work today and waited until tomorrow to grip. Oh well. You live; you learn. I knew during my warmup around the time of my GHP5 (109) that I wasn't my strongest. Then I couldn't hit the GHP6 (126) with my left, which I pretty handily closed last week for four singles. In the future I'll make sure to either get my DE gripper workout and accessory workout done on Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, to allow for total rest Thursday, or I'll flip-flop my pressing and ME gripper day on Friday/Saturday.

The RB240N is a new addition to the collection from @jchapman. I really like it. It was initially rated at 131, but has been filed a few mm. The sharp knurling is superb. I slammed it shut with the right during my warmup, but I haven't yet attempted it with my left since my top-end just wasn't there today. It will serve as my new goal gripper with the left. 

• Like 3

Workout 4/15/23:

Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4,5]x2, [1,2,3,4]x3 (i.e. 22 working sets)

As long as I can keep completing my prescribed sets, I'll be looking at moving up to the 36kg bells in three weeks. The problem is I don't currently have them, and they are currently out of stock on Kettlebell Kings, which is who I have always bought from. I reached out to them, and they said they will hopefully be back in stock late April/early May, so it may work out. These last 3 workouts are going to be long. 

• Like 3

Workout 4/16/23:

A. Back squat: Warmup, 102.5kg x5, 5, 8
B. Plate pinch curl: 6.25kg x 5 sets of 10
A. Front squat: 70kg x5x5
B. Seated RGT cable row: 27.5kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 12/15

For the plate pinch curls, I made a sandwich of 2.5kg plates and a 1.25kg plate with an overall thickness of 60mm. Took a lot of focus to make sure they didn't slip, especially with the plates being different diameters. 

On the last set of RGT rows (and the last set of the entire workout), I decided to do an AMRAP with each hand: 12 on the left, 15 on the right. 

102.5kg x8 puts me in the ballpark of 127kg. Inching upward. 

• Like 4

Way cool iron sandwich 

32 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool iron sandwich 

Tasty stuff, for sure.