Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

Grip Update:

Over the past years, I have never gotten back to the level of grip training I did back in ~2015-17. Every once in a while, I would get back into grippers for a few sessions here and there and make sure I could still build up to MMS-ing GHP6/Captains of Crush 2.5 level or greater, but I didn’t ever really push to get back to my peak. I built back up to MMS closing my Tetting Super Master (139 RGC) a couple of times, but that was it. My best ever is still the RB 300N (144 RGC) that I closed back in May of 2017. However, looking back, I didn’t take a video of that close, so I don’t even know if that was legitimate. Seems suspect. . .

I finally got back into gripping in December. Since then I have been doing my grippers once a week focusing on quality MMS sets and singles followed by hitting volume with my RB adjustable. I haven’t made much progress with my top-end strength (still just closing my 139 SM), but I have been closing grippers in the 70-90% range with more authority.  I haven’t noticed a lot of carryover from the RB adjustable, which is something I read about before buying it way back when. A couple of weeks ago, I started reading about RRBT and KTA again, both of which I purchased back when I was really into grip, and I decided I might dabble in RRBT during the week.  I initially thought that I would still try to incorporate what I was already doing on my normal grip day; however, about 4 days into RRBT, I committed to seeing it through as is instead of tampering. I will give it a full chance, and that will free me up to do other grip-related things during that workout time I was devoting to grippers. There is the added difficulty of starting the workouts before 5 am so that I can do them before work, but so far it’s working. I obviously won’t be posting any more details about it here.

Despite not really gripping that much, my collection has continued to grow.  In those scattered windows of time when I would get back into gripping, I would end buying some grippers here and there. Here is where the collection currently stands (in ascending RGC):

RB adjustable

CoC 0.5 (filed)

CoC 1

CoC 1.5 (filed)

GHP4

Left-turn CoC 2 (105; filed)

CoC 2

GHP5 (109)

Heavy Grips 250

Grip Genie 4 (115)

Adjustable T-rex (two ratings marked at 120 & 140)

CoC 2.5 (126)

GHP6 (126)

CoC 2.5 (134; filed)

Tetting Super Master (139)

GHP7 (143)

Spectrum RB 300N (144), blue

CoC 3 (146)

RB 300N (148)

CoC 3 (150)

Tetting Grand Master (150, with end of handle choker apparatus from acorn)

Tetting Elite (162, with end of handle choker apparatus from acorn)

My medium/long-term gripper goal is the MM0 certification. I would like to do this with my 150 CoC 3 because that number just seems so wild to achieve to me at this point.

One thing I am trying to do differently in grip this time around is actually training the other facets of grip, namely open hand and pinch strength. For open hand, I recently bought a Grip Genie RGT, and I use Fat Gripz for a number of exercises. For pinch, I have a wooden pinch block, and I recently built a homemade TTK machine for dynamic thumb work. I was initially just pushing my max on the RGT then following up with sets of 5, but I was not making a lot of progress. I then read an old IronMind forum post where someone described doing multiple sets of 10 with ~60-70% of 1RM for a few weeks then retesting and repeating.  That added a few kilos in a few weeks, so I plan to stick with that for the time being (I’m actually doing them as rows because I freaking love rows and I can take out 2 birds with one stone). I was previously doing one-hand pinch holds for time (35kg x 30 sec x 3 sets) immediately followed by dynamic thumb training (basically an attempt at contrast training), but I think I may convert to doing the same plan as I am with the RGT (still followed by TTK) and see where that takes me.  I would like to work towards an unofficial Crushed to Dust level of strength, but the rolling handle is way off (current best is 50kg; hub is at 15kg but on a homemade hub).

Ok I think that’s it. Phew.

• Like 4

Workout 2/25/23:

Morning: RRBT; Standing calf raises - 5x50; 26 min

Afternoon: 
     2-arm kettlebell press: 34 kg/arm x [1,2,3] x5
     Behind-the-neck barbell press: 40kg x 8x3
48 min

• Like 2

Way cool collection of grippers, you should post a picture 

nice video 

So I threw some shade at myself for possibly augmenting my previous all-time PR, but then I found this post when looking back through my log. Looks like I did actually close the RB 300N in a deep set back in 2016. 

On 2/27/2016 at 1:22 PM, DoctorOfCrush said:

Feb 27:
Warmup

R: 5 (109)
     6 (126)
     2.5 (134) x 1, 1       Wasn't sure if I got it the first time because of a weird set, so I did it again and smashed it. 
     BBSM (139)
     RB300N (144) (x)
     RB300N (144)        Boom! Got it!  Brand new PR. I'm in the 140s club.

RB300N (148) x 2 attempts           Not really that close.  Just didn't have much left. 

Parallel Choked Sets: 2.5 (126) x 1, 3, 3        Felt weird at first (hence a single at first), but I started to get the hang of it. 

Negatives: BBHE x 1, 1
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

L: 5 (109)
    HG250f

Choked Sets: 2.5 (126) @ 10mm
                                       @ 15mm x 1, x, 1, 1, x          I didn't really get the hang of these until I started doing them with the right later on, so I'm sure I'll be able to improve upon them later. 

Overcrush: 5 (109) x 1, 1, 1

Negatives: BBGM x 1, 1

So this was my very first time working out with choked grippers, and I have to say that I really liked it once I got the hang of it.  It really helps with getting setting hand fatigue.  I'm really lucky in that I have 2 126# grippers, so I don't have to take it out of the choker to work with that weight non-choked.  I think that this will really help my L hand strength. 

Workouts 2/26/23:

Morning: RRBT; Standing calf raises - 5x50; 34 min

Afternoon:
     A. RGT rows: 35kg x 10/side x5. Obviously the ROM on this is not great, but I like getting the rows in while also hitting the rolling handle. I feel like I can actually activate my grip more than just lifting to lockout. I'll play around with this rep/set scheme for a few weeks then test a max attempt to see if I get anywhere. 

B. Parallette pushup: 5x12. For now, I plan to keep progressing just by upping reps, but once I get to sets of ,say, 20, I'm not sure how I'll scale up after that. We'll see. 

A. Pinch block: 15kg x 10/side x5. I was previously doing longer holds, but now I'm moving on to training like the RGT. I think I sandbagged a bit here, so I'll up the weight next week to 17.5 or 20kg. 

B. TTK: 10kg x 10/side x5. I do these right after the pinch block in an effort to do some contrast training, like when people immediately follow deadlifts with box squats. 

C. Dips: 15kg x 7 x 5. My progression pattern for right now is getting 5 sets of 8 strong reps at a weight then increasing. I did that with 10kg last week, so this was the first week with 15kg. 

65 min

• Like 4

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Killer workout 

Thanks! Definitely had a mean chest/tricep/forearm pump going. 

• Like 1

Workout 2/27/23:

Morning: RRBT; Standing calf raises - 5x50; 40 min

Workout 2/28/23:

Morning: RRBT; Standing calf raises - 5x50; 22 min

I was paged about diagnosing a new leukemic overnight around 2 AM, so I was up for about an hour and waking up was tough. Thankfully, it was a lighter RRBT day, so the challenge was more mental than anything. I may get a squat workout in tonight. If not, I may try to get it in in the morning before work alongside RRBT. 

• Like 2

Another night with another leukemic page, but this one was more straightforward, and I wasn't up as long. 

I decided that I wanted to try and squat in the morning, and this was the earliest I have ever squatted (I started working out at 4:50 AM). I also think this was the first time I have ever squatted on an empty stomach.  All-in-all, it went really well, and I'm glad to open up the possibility of working out in that window in the future. 

The squat program is Greyskull LP, and I recently failed to hit my reps at 107.5 kg, so this is me restarting the progression at 95kg. 

Workout 3/1/23:
Morning: RRBT and Squats
            Back squats: 95kg x5, x5, x10 (rep PR) (in the previous cycle of GSLP, I hit 7 reps)
            Front squats: 60kgx5, 62.5x5x2, 65x5x2
70 min

• Like 3

Am squats ,that will wake you up and get your blood pumping 

good for you 

Workout 3/2/23:
RRBT; deficit standing calf raises - 30, 30, 40, 40, 40
66 min

Workout 3/3/23:
RRBT; deficit standing calf raises - 40, 40, 40
49 min

I was supposed to squat on this day, or at least I planned on it. However, the big wind storm that swept across the south knocked out our power. I actually had to complete my second session of RRBT in the dark with a headlamp on. 

Workout 3/4/23:
RRBT
Double kettlebell press w/ 34kg in each hand: 1, 2, 3, 4, [1, 2, 3] x4  (i.e. 16 total working sets)
A. Behind-the-neck press: 40kg x8, 10, 10
B. Deficit standing calf raises: 30, 40
B. Standing calf raises: 50, 50
74 min

I like the stretch of the deficit calf raise, but my feet slip of the little platform that I use, so I'm constantly having to reset. Hence, why I ending up switching to the regular standing calf raises. Maybe I'll be able to figure out the positioning in the future. 

• Like 1

Very nice work 

Workout 3/5/23:

A. RGT rows: 35kg x10 x5 sets 
B. Parallette pushups: 12, 12, 13, 13, 13

RRBT

45 min

My wife and I went to dinner and a concert on Saturday night, so we didn't get home til around 1 in the morning.  I was really feeling it on Sunday, and I had to cut my workout short. I was beat. 

Workout 3/6/23:
RRBT; Standing calf raises 5x50
46 min

Workout 3/7/23:
RRBT; Standing calf raises 5x50

I really struggled to get through the RRBT on these days, and I couldn't actually finish the workout on 3/7.  I thought it was just my strength failing from routine over exertion/under recovery, and I was pretty bummed.  Later throughout the night, I started coughing my head off and chilling, and when I woke up with a headache and chills on the morning 3/8, I tested positive for COVID (most likely from the concert).  That is probably what was ultimately running me down.  As of right now, I'm recovering and taking it slow.  I'll see how I feel come Saturday.  I'd say that is the earliest I would try to get back into things. 

• Like 3

Hope you feel better. I know the feeling.

I miss being in my early 20s and going out to concerts wasnt a big deal the next day. Now, I gotta re arrange things. Who was it? Anyone famous?

Edited by Blacksmith513

It was the band Dawes if you've heard of them.  We saw them at the Ryman, and it was amazing. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

It was the band Dawes if you've heard of them.  We saw them at the Ryman, and it was amazing. 

If heard of them. I’d love to check out the Ryman someday.

There's not much that beats it. I've been 5 or so times. The acoustics are unreal. Dawes has quite a few songs that people know the lyrics to, so there were a number of times where it was just the audience singing acoustically. Amazing stuff. 

• Like 1

I was feeling better today, so I felt like seeing where I stand on grippers after flaming out on RRBT and getting the Rona. I was honestly going to be stoked if I could hit a strong single on my GHP6. Needless to say, I was pretty excited with how things turned out.

Workout 3/10/23:

Right:

MMS:

CoC 1 x5,

GHP4 x5,

CoC 2 x2,

GHP5 (109) x2,

GG4 (115) x2,

T-rex adjustable (set to 120 rating, CPW) x2,

GHP6 (126) x2,

CoC 2.5 (134, rated before small filing) x1,

Tetting SM (139) x?,

Tetting SM (139) x1,

GHP7 (143) x miss

GHP Block Set:

CoC 2 x4, 4, 5

My right hand was gassed after the second SM attempt. Once I felt the set in my hand on the GHP7, I knew it wasn’t going anywhere.  I haven’t taken too many attempts on the GHP7 over the years (maybe 3-5?) as I haven’t been super serious about gripper training, but I think it feels stiffer than the CoC 3 (146) that I have. I know I got closer on a recent attempt with the CoC 3 (granted, that was more of deep set attempt). Regardless, the GHP7 is my current goal gripper.

Left:

MMS:

CoC 1 x5,

GHP4 x5,

CoC2 x2,

GHP5 (109) x1,

GG4 (115) x?,

GG4(115) x1,

T-rex adjustable (set to 120 rating, CPW) x1,

GHP6 (126) x miss

GHP Block Set:

GHP4 x6, 10, 8

This might be the closest I have ever been with the GHP6 with my left hand.  I don’t think I have ever closed it, but I am not sure.  I need to look back through my log. Regardless, it’s my current goal gripper. For the GHP block sets, I’m not strong enough with my left to start with the CoC 2, so I’ll probably bumper the GHP4 during my next workout.

My plan going forward is to have one heavier day (‘max out Friday!’) and one lighter day just crushing the handles of lighter grippers.  Essentially a max effort/dynamic effort split. For the max effort day, I’ll probably follow something similar to the plan that Chez laid out a few years ago, at least for the singles portion.  Basically hitting 4 singles at one weight during a workout before moving up. If you miss a rep, drop down and complete reps on a lighter gripper. Once you hit 4 singles, you drop down for volume. For me I think that will mean doing 3 sets of 3-5 as GHP block sets. Lastly, I will close out with a few negative with my goal gripper or one just above my goal gripper. I’ll do them the way Jedd highlighted in a previous video. Basically, you cheat it shut and hold it either (a) for five seconds, or (b) until it opens your hand up to beyond parallel. Then you just release it. That seems to be the way to get them in without them being as risky. I didn’t do them today because I didn’t want to totally destroy myself the first day back.

Video to follow. It's taking forever to upload to YouTube. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jared P said:

Great video. Those are some good closes. Not that far away on the GHP 7!

Thanks! It feels pretty far, but this was my first time going heavy in a few weeks, so I expected things to feel pretty heavy. I'm hoping that I am not too far off with just some sensible, consistent training. I'm also optimistic that using the CPW bumper will help bridge some gaps. If anything, I feel like it could help stave off feeling stagnant when I can't yet make a gripper jump. Even minor progress (literally half a turn at a time if that's what it takes) is huge mentally. 

Here is the recent-ish CoC3 deep set attempt I mentioned earlier: 

• Like 5

Way cool supper strong, very impressive 

Workouts 3/11/23:

Morning: Just wanted to get some blood flowing. 
     A. CoC Trainer (56): 5x10 /hand
     B. Finger extensions: 2 regular 'ole rubber bands x 20/hand x 5 sets

Afternoon:
     Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4]x2, [1,2,3]x3 (i.e. 17 working sets)
     53 min

I went into the afternoon workout knowing I would be feeling it out post-COVID. Turns out I must be essentially recovered because I hit my progression (adding a fourth rep to the second ladder). I have been focusing a lot on resting, drinking water, deep breathing, and getting my protein in. I think all of that plus my immunity made this a pretty short bout. I didn't want to push it much harder (plus I had extended my rests; it already took a while), so I cut out my behind-the-neck press finisher. 

• Like 2

Workout 3/12/23:

RGT: 20kg x5/side, 35 x5/side, 45 x1/side, 50 x1/side (PR left), 52.5 x1/side (PR both), 55 x miss/side, 55 x1/side (PR both), 57.5 x two misses on right
Parallette pushups: 13, 13, 13, 13, 13
Hub: 5kg x1/side, 10 x1/side, 12.5 x1 on right, miss on left, 12.5 x1 on right, miss on left, 13.75 x miss on right
Weighted dips: 15kg x 7, 8, 8, 7, 7

I just wanted to see where I stand on the RGT. After just doing the volume work with rows at ~70% for a couple of weeks, I have progressed 5 kg on the right and 7.5 kg on the left. This was my first attempt on the real IM Hub, and it was humbling. 

• Like 4