Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

2 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Now I just have to pick a place to hang it up in the gym!

image.thumb.jpeg.896d2a211e153dddcfa7ac0c6fce2f73.jpeg

I'm thinking master bedroom, on the ceiling. I'm sure the wife won't mind.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Jared P said:

I'm thinking master bedroom, on the ceiling. I'm sure the wife won't mind.

Perfect place for it. Drifting off into dreams of grip. 

• Like 3

Workout 4/27/24:
Squat:
 112.5kg / 248lb x10 (PR match) |  107.5kg / 237lb x 10 sets of 3 with 60 sec between sets

Ugh, made it over the toughest mental hurdle of the cycle. The set of 10 matches my best, and I don't have a video of the last time I did it, but I'm pretty sure this one felt and looked better. The toughest triple was set 5 for some reason. This workout is such a mental slog.  My HR going into the last triple was 155 bpm. It's hard to get under the bar like that, but I got it done! My six year old was out in the gym with me, and she kept checking on me in between sets. She couldn't figure out why I wasn't resting longer or just stopping haha.

Unfortunately couldn't bring myself to do SLDLs. I was spent. 

She was doing her own 'workout,' and you can hear her after my last set say "that almost made me BARF" if you listen closely haha. 

The aftermath:

image.thumb.jpeg.e0dcd245c984440fb89ba42c48d1d591.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Nice one

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Workout 4/28/24:
A. Grippers:

Right: TNS: up to Tetting Master (108); attempts at GG4 (115) [maybe a make], Standard Pt (117),   Silarukov 110 (unrated)
     TNS -> Click closes: IM 2 (101) x 1+4 | 1 (brain fart) | 1+1 || Silarukov 90 (unrated) 1+4 | 1+3

Left: alternating Choked Standard Fe (136) @ 15mm x 5 singles | GHP5 (112) x 5, 3, 4, 4, 4

B1. Bench Press: 90kg x 3 sets of 6

B2. Seated Neutral Grip Pin Press: 50kg x8 | 55kg x 6, 9

B3. Tricep Extension (Cable, Straight Bar): 30kg x8 | 40kg x 3 sets of 6

A. Dumbbell Wrist Curls: 16kg x 2 sets of 20/side
B. Reverse Formulator: 4kg x 2 sets of 20

Pretty solid workout all around for me. I got super close on the 115 TNS attempt, but I am not sure if I got it. I was way off on the 117 after that, but I expected that with how the 115 has always felt easy for its weight and the 117 has always felt hard for its rating. 112x5 is a PR for my left hand, and I got all my choked singles crushed pretty well, so I felt good about that. The left hand is definitely benefiting from this style of training, so I can't wait for my right hand to heal up and see what it does for it. 

Bench press called for sets of 4-6 at this weight, so I was happy to hit 6 on all three sets. I made the last pin press set an AMRAP, and I'm glad I did. 

Cut the last bit short because I needed to wrap up. 

image.thumb.jpeg.937c19357ddd9917ee72e1f02f2dc00e.jpeg

• Like 5

GREAT WORK

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Workout 4/28/24:
A. Grippers:

Right: TNS: up to Tetting Master (108); attempts at GG4 (115) [maybe a make], Standard Pt (117),   Silarukov 110 (unrated)
     TNS -> Click closes: IM 2 (101) x 1+4 | 1 (brain fart) | 1+1 || Silarukov 90 (unrated) 1+4 | 1+3

Left: alternating Choked Standard Fe (136) @ 15mm x 5 singles | GHP5 (112) x 5, 3, 4, 4, 4

B1. Bench Press: 90kg x 3 sets of 6

B2. Seated Neutral Grip Pin Press: 50kg x8 | 55kg x 6, 9

B3. Tricep Extension (Cable, Straight Bar): 30kg x8 | 40kg x 3 sets of 6

A. Dumbbell Wrist Curls: 16kg x 2 sets of 20/side
B. Reverse Formulator: 4kg x 2 sets of 20

Pretty solid workout all around for me. I got super close on the 115 TNS attempt, but I am not sure if I got it. I was way off on the 117 after that, but I expected that with how the 115 has always felt easy for its weight and the 117 has always felt hard for its rating. 112x5 is a PR for my left hand, and I got all my choked singles crushed pretty well, so I felt good about that. The left hand is definitely benefiting from this style of training, so I can't wait for my right hand to heal up and see what it does for it. 

Bench press called for sets of 4-6 at this weight, so I was happy to hit 6 on all three sets. I made the last pin press set an AMRAP, and I'm glad I did. 

Cut the last bit short because I needed to wrap up. 

image.thumb.jpeg.937c19357ddd9917ee72e1f02f2dc00e.jpeg

If that TNS is not a close, it’s awfully close eh, nice one

14 minutes ago, CruxGripman said:

If that TNS is not a close, it’s awfully close eh, nice one

About as close as it gets I think 😂

• Haha 1

Workout 4/30/24:
Squat:
 120kg / 265lb x 3 sets of 6
Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps): 175kg / 386lb x 2 sets of 6

Phew this was pretty intense. For an idea of what it felt like, it was 85% of 1RM on squat and 87.5% of 1RM on deadlift for these sets. The squats called for 4-6 reps/set, and the deadlift called for 3-6 reps/set. I was happy to get them all, but it was brutal doing higher intensity on both movements in the same workout. 

• Like 5

Workout 5/2/24:
Overhead Press:
 65kg / 143lb x 5, 5, 6
A. Pause DB Bench Press: 70lb x6 | 75lb x6 | 80lb x6
B. Face Pulls: 22.5kg x 3 sets of 15

OHP called for 4-6 reps/set, and I think I could've hit 6 on the first set, but I went in knowing I wanted to at least hit 3 sets of 5 rather than burn out early. Maxed out my adjustable dumbbells for the pause bench press.

Called it instead of doing the bi's and tri's work today.  Just tired.  Still feeling kind of beat up from the heavy squats and deads combo workout, especially my back. We have a hematopathology conference that is going to chew up my entire Saturday, so I will have to push up my squat day (heavy 4-6 again) to tomorrow. Not thrilled about that based on how I currently feel. I'll do so focused recovery tonight. 

Found the only free patch of wall left in my small gym to hang this bad boy!

image.thumb.jpeg.71d851a7244c9c40eb1a9e38e33ca99a.jpeg

• Like 3

nice

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Workout 5/2/24:
Overhead Press:
 65kg / 143lb x 5, 5, 6
A. Pause DB Bench Press: 70lb x6 | 75lb x6 | 80lb x6
B. Face Pulls: 22.5kg x 3 sets of 15

OHP called for 4-6 reps/set, and I think I could've hit 6 on the first set, but I went in knowing I wanted to at least hit 3 sets of 5 rather than burn out early. Maxed out my adjustable dumbbells for the pause bench press.

Called it instead of doing the bi's and tri's work today.  Just tired.  Still feeling kind of beat up from the heavy squats and deads combo workout, especially my back. We have a hematopathology conference that is going to chew up my entire Saturday, so I will have to push up my squat day (heavy 4-6 again) to tomorrow. Not thrilled about that based on how I currently feel. I'll do so focused recovery tonight. 

Found the only free patch of wall left in my small gym to hang this bad boy!

image.thumb.jpeg.71d851a7244c9c40eb1a9e38e33ca99a.jpeg

Very nice, and nice little spot there. I love seeing peoples set ups and gear boards

• Like 2

ME TOO

• Like 1

Workout 5/3/24:
Squat:
 122.5kg / 270lb x7 (PR)
Leg Extensions (cable machine): 35kg x 3 sets of 15

Focusing on rest yesterday paid off because my back and legs felt fine when I woke up today. The workout called for 85% of 1RM +2.5kg x 4-6 reps for one set. Mid-set, around reps 3-4, I decided I didn't want to just match my PR again (122.5x6), so I did one more rep. 

I've been focusing on my depth control, and I think it's paying off. I basically have to tell myself to redirect earlier than I think I should. If I don't, I basically have the mobility for my butt to hit the floor, but it introduces a lot of movement in my low back, and it's just unnecessary because I hit good depth long before I hit the end ROM of my hips/ankles. I feel like the difference is pretty obvious in the squat comparison below. 

• Like 3

Looks great 👍 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Felt weird doing this on a Monday night instead of Sunday afternoon, but bowling with friends and family yesterday didn't allow for a workout. I also couldn't do everything I would normally do, but I got in the main stuff. 

Workout 5/6/24:
A. Grippers:
     Right: TNS: up to GG4 (115);  attempts at Standard Pt (115)  and Silarukov 110 (unrated)
     Standard Cu x 1 TNS +3MMS | 1+3 | 1+2
     Standard Au x 1 TNS +5 clicks | 1+7 | 1+8

Left: alternating Choked Standard Fe (136) @ 16mm x 2 singles, 17mm x 3 singles | GHP5 (112) x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4

B1. Bench Press: 87.5kg x 3 | 90kg x 3 | 95kg x 3

B2. Seated Neutral Grip Pin Press: 50kg x 2 sets of 10 | 55kg x8 | 57kg x6

The GG4 was a decisive TNS this week, so that felt pretty good. I got really close with a Standard Pt at the same RGC but a wider spread. I did a few standard MMS sets with the right hand with lighter grippers (IM2, GHP5), and it was not immediately painful to my palm, so that's promising. We'll see if there is any pain tomorrow. The left hand did not feel significantly stronger this week, but I did hit my choked reps from marginally wider. Getting closer to a parallel set. 

Bench press felt pretty strong. 95x3 felt surprisingly good considering it is only 10kg off what was a difficult 1RM a few weeks ago. Volume on the seated press was taxing. 

• Like 3

Workout 5/7/24:
Squat:
 122.5kg x3 | 125kg x3 | 127.5kg x3
SLDL (w/ straps): 120kg x6 | 125kg x 2 sets of 6

This is the most I’ve had on my back for squat in a while. Reps felt pretty strong, but it’s definitely taking some getting used to with focusing on earlier redirection at the bottom instead of just dive-bombing. I’m sure I’ll get more used to it and significantly stronger as I do. 

• Like 3

Workout 5/10/24:
Overhead Press:
 62.5kg x3 | 67.5kg x3 | 70kg x3 | 60kg x9
A. Pause DB Bench Press: 80lb x 3 sets of 6
B. Face Pull: 25kg x 3 sets of 10
A. EZ Bar Fat Gripz Curls: 26.4kg x 3 sets of 12
B. Tricep Extension (Cable, Straight Bar): 35kg x 8, 8, 10

Just getting the work in last night. Heavy squats and deads today. 

• Like 1

Workout 5/11/24:
Squat:
 127.5kg x3 | 130kg / 287lb x3 (PR)
Deadlift (double overhand, w/ straps): 182.5kg x3 | 190kg / 419lb x2

Nearing the end of this cycle means lowering volume, increasing intensity, and approaching PR territories. The program called for 1-2 reps for both of the top squat and deadlift sets. Something came over me on the squats, and I didn't want to just match my best (130x2), so I pushed a bit above the program. I included my previous 130x2 from back in July. It felt a lot stronger, and I think it looks better as well. I've only ever picked 187.5kg off the ground (albeit for 5), so 190x2 was also a PR.

Previous from July: 

• Like 3

Hey, that’s a killer Dead lift, dude. Great form look like you had more in the tank.

Edited by John Knowlton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey, that’s a killer Dead lift, dude. Great form look like you had more in the tank.

Thanks! I feel like I could’ve gotten 1-2 more, but I wanted to stick to the program since I’ll get a crack at 195kg next week. The program allows for 1-4 reps on that one. 

• Like 1

Workout 5/12/24:
A. Grippers:
     Right: MMS (PK): IM 2.5 (121) x2 | Standard Fe (132) x 1
     TNS: up to GG4 (115);  attempts at Standard Pt (115)  and Silarukov 110 (unrated)
     Standard Cu (106) x 1 TNS + 6 click closes | 1+6 | 1+7 | 1+5 | 1+3

Left: alternating Choked Standard Fe (136) @ 19mm x 4 singles, 1 miss | GHP5 (112) x 4, 4, 4, 4, 15 click closes ending in 5 second hold

B1. Bench Press: 92.5kg x 3 | 95kg x4 | 100kg x3

B2. Seated Neutral Grip Pin Press: 57.5kg x 3 sets of 6

B3. Tricep Extension (cable, straight bar): 35kg x 3 sets of 10

A. Reverse Formulator: 4kg x 20, 20, 14
B. Wrist Curls (cable, single hand): 10kg x 3 sets of 20/side

I played around with the MMS on the right hand to see how my palm would do.  I felt pretty strong, and there is no immediate pain, but we'll see how tomorrow plays out. I didn't quite have the same end power on my Standard Pt (115) attempt, but I got the Silarukov 110 (unrated) to basically the same exact distance. If I don't have pain tomorrow, next week will be a testing week for both hands MMS. I think I may be able to get my 132 on the left if I get a good set. 

• Like 3

nice work

• Thanks 1