Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

Nice work today. 

20 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work today. 

Thanks, John. I kept almost stopping by telling myself that I should get to work and finish the workout later, but thankfully I just pushed through. Work will always be there. 

• Like 2

Workout 3/2/24:
Squat:
 115kg / 254lb x 2, 2, 2, 2, 7
SLDL: 120kg x 5 | 125kg / 276lb x 3 sets of 5
Front Squat: 60kg x4 | 70 x4 | 75 x4 | 80 x4

Nothing crazy today just putting the work in. Kept the front squats pretty light and found that keeping the sets snappy helps because I don't feel the need to catch my breath as much, which is hard to do with the bar in the front rack. 

Next week's weight will be 122.5kg based on my top set this week. I hope to match my previous PR of 6. 

• Like 2

Workout 3/3/24:

A. Grippers:
      Right: 
                137 x 7 singles, miss  (<1mm), miss
                117 x 5, 5
                117 x 16 click closes

Left, MMS: 
                 128 x 5 singles, miss
                 112 x 3, 3, 3, 3
                 112 x 14 click closes

B: Behind-the-Neck Push Press

Wrist curls, cable straight bar: 27.5kg x 30, 18, 13, 12, 12   (60 sec b/n sets)
Plate rim pinch hold: 10kg/hand x 55s, 55s, 37s    (1:1 rest)
Reverse Formulator curls: 3.75kg x 41, 15, 13, 15, 10  (30 sec b/n sets)

stretching

Pretty solid today. Closes felt strong on the right, and I was happy to get quite a few singles on the left since I jumped up a gripper. I may have gotten that eighth single on the right, but it looked like that there was still a sliver of space. 

We're traveling next weekend, so I have to re-arrange things a bit. I'll squat on Friday instead of Saturday, and I'll use the weekend to let my hands and CNS rest before attempting max attempts next Monday. I'd really like to hit my 144 again, but I'd be happy with my 141 as well. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Workout 3/5/24:
Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps):
 170kg / 375lb x 2, 2, 9
A. Pause Back Squat: 80kg x5 | 92.5kg x 5, 5
B. Rolling Thunder: 50kg x 8/side, 8/side, 11 on right, 16 on left

stretching

BOOM! The program I'm following uses the AMRAP set from each week to determine the weight jump for the next week. I looked at how certain rep numbers would do to the weight next week and determined that 8 reps would put the weight at 180kg / 397lb and 9 reps would put the weight at 182.5kg / 402lb, so I set out to hit that 9 and be able to attempt 400+ for the first time ever next week. Nailed it! So stoked. Next week 4 hundo is going down. 

I was going to do 3 sets at 92.5kg on pause squats, but I did the AMRAP RT set, and it wiped my low back, so I called it. 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 2

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Going on a trip this weekend, so I had to move things around. Squats today and grippers Monday. 

Workout 3/7/24:
Overhead Press: 65kg / 143lb x 2, 2, 6

A. DB 1.5 Bench Press: 65lb/hand x 5, 5, 5, 5 (+6 more straight reps)
B. Fat Gripz DB Curls: 16kg / 35lb x 4 sets of 10/side

A. Kettlebell Press, 2-arm: 24kg/hand x 5, 6, 6, 8
B. Face Pull: 17.5kg x 4 sets of 12

A. Tricep Pushdown (cable, straight bar): 27.5kg x 3 sets of 12 | 1 set of 13
B. Reverse Formulator: 3.75kg x 25, 22, 20, 20 

stretching

Couldn't eke out a 7th rep on the OHP top set to match my best. My back/core seemed a bit unstable from deadlift work. Otherwise, things felt pretty good. Matched or improved weights and reps throughout. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workout 3/8/24:
Squat:
 122.5kg / 270lb x 2, 2, 6
SLDL: 125kg / 276lb x 4 sets of 5 | 127.5kg / 281lb x 8

Matched my best ever at this weight finally, so I feel like I've reached my previous levels finally. Wasn't the prettiest set, but I wanted it. 

Something came over me and told me to push a final set on SLDL.  I was feeling strong, so I increased the weight and went for an AMRAP. Glad I did. 

Gonna try to get some R&R this weekend to put up some good gripper numbers on Monday. 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 3

• Like 1

Nice work. Deep squats, just be careful of your form. you don't want to hurt your back.

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work. Deep squats, just be careful of your form. you don't want to hurt your back.

Thanks, yeah it was a grinder. I don’t usually let it get to that point, but I wanted to push on that final set. I only push it that hard 2-3 times per cycle. 

• Like 1

Well the R&R paid off. . . . . 

I FINALLY CLOSED THE FIRST COC #3 THAT I GOT IN DECEMBER OF 2015!

It was the RGC 150 that I have always wanted to close.  It was such a HUGE mental (and physical for that matter) hurdle that I am so happy to have overcome. 

Here's how it went down.

Workout 3/11/24: Gripper Max Testing

Right hand: (not quite MMS) - Warmups: 60x5 | 85x5 | 112x3 | 126x2 | 137
                                                    144 (matched PR)
                                                    146 (miss by a hair I think)
                                                    150!

157 (MM1 replica: big fat miss)
Left hand: (not quite MMS) - Warmups: 60x5 | 85x5 | 112 | 121
                                                     132 x 3 near misses
                                                     139 miss
                                                     132 miss

137 and 144 felt really strong, so I thought 146 would go down.  I don't think that it quite did (super close), but I decided to see where I stand on the 150 and use post-activation potentiation to re-attempt the 146. Then the handles slammed shut! You can hear my surprise and excitement in the video. 

I was pretty darn close on the 132 with my left hand, but for now 130 remains my best. 

I realize that these are not quite MMS, or at least the videos never show the set well because of my setting hand being in the way.  My goal in my next cycle is mastering paused reps, which I'm gonna call PK reps. No insane holds, just obvious mastery of the set width. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Well done, man! Huge PR.

Thanks, man. I went into tonight thinking I would be happy with hitting my previous/pre-boards exam PR of 144. Never did I think that Moby Dick would go down 😂

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Thanks, man. I went into tonight thinking I would be happy with hitting my previous/pre-boards exam PR of 144. Never did I think that Moby Dick would go down 😂

Great work, Captain!

Moby Dick.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Well the R&R paid off. . . . . 

I FINALLY CLOSED THE FIRST COC #3 THAT I GOT IN DECEMBER OF 2015!

It was the RGC 150 that I have always wanted to close.  It was such a HUGE mental (and physical for that matter) hurdle that I am so happy to have overcome. 

Here's how it went down.

Workout 3/11/24: Gripper Max Testing

Right hand: (not quite MMS) - Warmups: 60x5 | 85x5 | 112x3 | 126x2 | 137
                                                    144 (matched PR)
                                                    146 (miss by a hair I think)
                                                    150!

157 (MM1 replica: big fat miss)
Left hand: (not quite MMS) - Warmups: 60x5 | 85x5 | 112 | 121
                                                     132 x 3 near misses
                                                     139 miss
                                                     132 miss

137 and 144 felt really strong, so I thought 146 would go down.  I don't think that it quite did (super close), but I decided to see where I stand on the 150 and use post-activation potentiation to re-attempt the 146. Then the handles slammed shut! You can hear my surprise and excitement in the video. 

I was pretty darn close on the 132 with my left hand, but for now 130 remains my best. 

I realize that these are not quite MMS, or at least the videos never show the set well because of my setting hand being in the way.  My goal in my next cycle is mastering paused reps, which I'm gonna call PK reps. No insane holds, just obvious mastery of the set width. 

Congrats! 9 years of hard work. It shows how bad you really wanted it.🦾

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Great work, Captain!

Moby Dick.jpg

Thanks! That quote is grip in a nutshell. 

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Congrats! 9 years of hard work. It shows how bad you really wanted it.🦾

Thanks, man! If anyone asks how to get it done, I'll make sure to tell them to take ~6-7 years off in the middle of their pursuit 🤣

• Like 1

Big day #2 this week:  I deadlifted 400+ for the first time!

Workout 3/12/24:
 Warmup: 100kg x5 | 140x3 | 155x2 | 165x2 | 175x1
                                                                                  182.5kg / 402lb x 5
2-hand Flask: 62.5kg / 138lb x 8, 8, 8, 5

stretching

Well the program finally called for it, and I wanted to make the most of it. This was the most I have ever lifted, and I did it for 5. Pretty stoked. By the look of the video, I think I could've done 6, but it felt harder than it looked. The program has 3 more weeks to the peaking phase, so I'll probably be doing a top set around 190-195kg / 419-430lb for a 1+ attempt in 3 weeks if my rep estimates for the intervening weeks are correct. 

I had planned to do 4 sets of 8 then a set of 8+ on the Flask, but I think maxing grippers literally yesterday plus taxing myself with deadlifts are the culprits for not being able to get through that. The last set I attempted, I barely had anything left, and my thumb web ripped. 

• Like 3

Nice Deadlifts, it looked like you had more in the tank

2 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice Deadlifts, it looked like you had more in the tank

Right? Like I said, it felt harder than it looked, but watching it back I feel like I could’ve done 6-7. 

Why do you hit the barbell in starting position? Don't you think that it steals the overall amplitude? It's like if you lifted the same weights from blocks. I would prefer to let down a barbell, wait for a second and start next rep like first rep in set. Perhaps, it is just another technics?

These weights are amazing, your workout is amazing. 👍

Edited by weightlifter

6 hours ago, weightlifter said:

Why do you hit the barbell in starting position? Don't you think that it steals the overall amplitude? It's like if you lifted the same weights from blocks. I would prefer to let down a barbell, wait for a second and start next rep like first rep in set. Perhaps, it is just another technics?

These weights are amazing, your workout is amazing. 👍

Ha thanks.  I don't know about amazing, but I am certainly getting stronger than previous. 

Dead stop vs. touch-and-go/bounce deadlift in training is debated. I previously did dead stop, and I have found that I have gotten stronger faster with the touch-and-go. I still have to make the first rep from a stand still, and after that point, this style allows me to accumulate more work with more weight during these sets. I find that this also works well with the current program I am in because each week's top set is an AMRAP (as many reps as possible), and the top set # of reps achieved determines the weight increase for the next week. So knocking out a few more reps one week means that I will have to work with more weight the following week. On the order of 2.5-5kg than I otherwise would have if I had done 1-2 less reps. 

I hope that makes sense.  I think Bromley puts it well in this video:

On 3/12/2024 at 11:08 PM, DoctorOfCrush said:

Big day #2 this week:  I deadlifted 400+ for the first time!

Workout 3/12/24:
 Warmup: 100kg x5 | 140x3 | 155x2 | 165x2 | 175x1
                                                                                  182.5kg / 402lb x 5
2-hand Flask: 62.5kg / 138lb x 8, 8, 8, 5

stretching

Well the program finally called for it, and I wanted to make the most of it. This was the most I have ever lifted, and I did it for 5. Pretty stoked. By the look of the video, I think I could've done 6, but it felt harder than it looked. The program has 3 more weeks to the peaking phase, so I'll probably be doing a top set around 190-195kg / 419-430lb for a 1+ attempt in 3 weeks if my rep estimates for the intervening weeks are correct. 

I had planned to do 4 sets of 8 then a set of 8+ on the Flask, but I think maxing grippers literally yesterday plus taxing myself with deadlifts are the culprits for not being able to get through that. The last set I attempted, I barely had anything left, and my thumb web ripped. 

Nice work 

6 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Nice work 

Thanks! Another big goal checked off my list. Onward and upward to 200 / 440!

• Like 2

Workout 3/16/24:
Squats:
 127.5kg / 281lb x4
SLDL: 128kg x 5 | 130kg / 287lb x 5, 5, 6

Looking back through my log, I'm pretty sure 127.5x4 is a PR for me. My current max is still 130x2, and I saw that I had also done 127.5x2 at some point. We'll see where the last 3 weeks of the cycle gets me. 

I finally bit the bullet and purchased the Rogue KG change plate set, so I played around with loading some different amounts today until the weight felt right on the SLDL. 

Workout 3/17/24:
A. Grippers:
     Right: 137 DS, 141 DS, 141 miss, 139x2 DS, 141 miss, 137x2 DS, 137 paused DS, 137 PK rep x 2 attempts
     162 choked at 13mm miss (no top end left)
     Burnout super set (MMS): 109 x12 --> 85 x10 --> 73 x6
     Left: 128 DS x 4 singles, 1 miss
     136 choked at 20mm miss, at 13mm x4 singles
     Burnout super set (MMS): 101 x12 --> 85 x5 --> 73 x7

B1. Overhead Press: 67.5kg x6
B2. Barbell Bench Press: 20kg x10 | 40x5 | 60x5 | 80x3 | 90 | 95 | 100 | 105kg / 231lb

The misses at 141 were measurable only in sheets of paper, but it looked like there was the tiniest amount of daylight, so I didn't count them. When I did the 139, it was on a GG5, and it felt ridiculously easy compared to the IM and Standard, so something came over me mid-set and I did an impromptu double. I wondered if the bench presses had primed me more or something, and that's why I re-attempted the 141 after that. I remember I was in a funk the last (and only) time I had attempted my purple RB280N and couldn't close it, so today was actually the first time closing it, and I slammed it shut and once again did an impromptu double. 

For my next cycle starting after I finish my current strength cycle, I plan on really focusing on my paused set widths (as well as rep work) in preparation for the future Mash Monster certifications (at the least the entry portion because it will be a while before I'm at 160). I took a few cracks at doing paused MMS sets, and I've got some work to do for sure. I call them "PK" reps for Paul Knight and the way he would do those prolonged pauses with his pinky disengaged then just crush the gripper. 

Since I have not had safety arms or spotting help, I have not barbell bench pressed in over a decade. However, a little while back I finally got a pair of spotter arms, so I plan on adding bench press to my next strength cycle, but I needed to establish a 1RM to use in the plan. Going into this session, I was actually going to be happy if I hit 185lb.  I think that the most I had ever done previously was 205-215, granted I was probably ~160lb at the time. I know I had never done two slabs of beef. Needless to say, I was super stoked / surprised when I hit 231. It was a grinder, but I am really hoping that I'll get some nice newbie gainz as I start using them. 

• Like 3

supper cool 

nice work