DoctorOfCrush

Strong grip

• Thanks 1

1 hour walk: 3.4 miles. 

• Like 3

Workout 1/30/24:
Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps):
 165kg / 364lb x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 7
Rolling Thunder: 20kg x 5 | 40kg x 5 | 50.8kg x 2 sets of 5 | 53.5kg x 2 sets of 5 
Reverse formulator: 2.5kg x 30, 12, 10, 8, 9  (30 sec rest between sets)

Well tonight was a doozy.  The most I had ever done before tonight was 165kg x3 (a few months ago), but the program called for the weight the program called for: This is the way. So basically I set a PR with the first set, matched that PR 4 more times, then hit another PR. I filmed all the sets because I knew I would be proud if I hit all these sets. Thankfully, this is the last week of this particular wave of the program, so the weight will drop a little next week (down to 145kg). 

I skipped the belt squats tonight with all the deadlift volume/intensity. 

I kept the Rolling Thunder just at a moderate weight for 5s.  Still trying to ease in because I feel like pushing the rolling handle and pinch work simultaneously previously is what really lit up my right elbow. 

Bodyweight this AM: 203.6

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 1

Nice work , super cool new PR.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

...The most I had ever done before tonight was 165kg x3 (a few months ago), but the program called for the weight the program called for: This is the way. So basically I set a PR with the first set, matched that PR 4 more times, then hit another PR. ...

Nice PR!  This is the way.

This is the way.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Douglas Carney said:

Nice PR!  This is the way.

This is the way.gif

Glad someone caught that. 

• Haha 1

Workout 2/1/24:
Overhead press: 60kg / 132lb x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 8
Pause DB bench press: 60lb/side x8 | 65 x 8, 7, 6 | 60 x 7
A. Triceps pushdown (cable-straight bar): 27.5kg / 61lb x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 8
B. Standing alternating DB curls w/ Fat Gripz: 13.3kg / 29lb x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12
C. Reverse DB fly: 25lb x 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 11

Geez, this was the peak volume week before a reset, and I felt it. 6 sets of the main lift, 5 sets of the secondary, and 6 sets each of accessories. Ugh. This one took me 86 min, and my watch says I had 1,002 active calories burned with an average heart rate of 132 bpm. 

The presses felt really good tonight. The past two weeks they have felt significantly stronger. 

I got cocky with the DB bench presses after 60s felt really good. I couldn't quite recover and keep up the reps on subsequent sets with 65s. 

I messed up on the pushdowns because I forgot that I had been doing sets of 8, not 10, for the past few weeks. By set 4, it required a bit of body English to get the last rep, and by the last set, reps 9 and 10 just didn't exist. 

I honestly just miscounted on the last set of reverse DB flies. 

I recorded some pretty boring footage haha (the sound might be weird because I had to silence copyrighted music). 

• Like 3

Killer workout dude.

very inspiring

• Thanks 1

Workout 2/3/24:
Squats: 117.5kg / 259lb x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
SLDL: 100kg x8 | 105kg x8 | 110kg x2 sets of 8 | 115kg x8

Today's workout was definitely an auto-regulatory one. I think my body was feeling the increased intensity and volume of the other movements this week.  The weight just felt heavy on my back. I would've liked to hit a new PR on the AMRAP set, but I was happy to at least hit my numbers and get through the sets with how the first set felt. My body told me not to push it, and I listened. Regardless, 24 quality reps at 90+% of the training max I'm using (even if that number in itself isn't high) will lead to adaptation: I got stronger today. 

They look easier than they felt. I was happy with my depth and maintenance of position when I watched it back. 

Excited to use this thing tomorrow for pronation work. It's way more comfortable and functional than what I have been using. Shoutout to @maidenfan for the suggestion. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f694976027e68d663446bd5239862ad9.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Workout 2/3/24:
Squats: 117.5kg / 259lb x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4
SLDL: 100kg x8 | 105kg x8 | 110kg x2 sets of 8 | 115kg x8

Today's workout was definitely an auto-regulatory one. I think my body was feeling the increased intensity and volume of the other movements this week.  The weight just felt heavy on my back. I would've liked to hit a new PR on the AMRAP set, but I was happy to at least hit my numbers and get through the sets with how the first set felt. My body told me not to push it, and I listened. Regardless, 24 quality reps at 90+% of the training max I'm using (even if that number in itself isn't high) will lead to adaptation: I got stronger today. 

They look easier than they felt. I was happy with my depth and maintenance of position when I watched it back. 

Excited to use this thing tomorrow for pronation work. It's way more comfortable and functional than what I have been using. Shoutout to @maidenfan for the suggestion. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f694976027e68d663446bd5239862ad9.jpeg

I just ordered one of those too. Been using a martial arts belt for pronation and rising but this thing looks like a better option.

As for the workout, getting through those days that feel like a grind is a reward in itself. The consistency and pushing progress without injury will pay off long term. Keep killing it brother!

28 minutes ago, HandsMcHanderson said:

I just ordered one of those too. Been using a martial arts belt for pronation and rising but this thing looks like a better option.

As for the workout, getting through those days that feel like a grind is a reward in itself. The consistency and pushing progress without injury will pay off long term. Keep killing it brother!

Feels great in the hand for sure. 

Yeah, it was just one of those days where the rests have to be a bit longer and you’ve got to turn the grit up a bit. Thanks!

• Like 1

Workout 2/4/24:
Calf raises: 20kg x 25, 20, 15 (10 sec b/n sets)
Anterior tibialis raises: 8.75kg x 32, 18, 12, 12, 10 (30 sec b/n sets)

A. Grippers:
      Right: 135 x 7 singles, 1 miss  |  150 choked at 19, 21, 23, 25
      Left, MMS: 126 x 5 singles, 1 miss | ~110 x 3, 3, 3,  9 click closes
B1. Janda situps: 5 sets of 8
B2. Decline situps: +20kg x 10, 10, 10, 10, 15

Reverse Formulator curls: 2.5kg x 37, 13, 12, 10, 10 (30 sec b/n sets)
EZ bar wrist curls: 59lb x 19, 11, 8, 8 --> drop set 45lb x 7  (60 sec b/n sets)
Thumb strap weighted pronation: 10kg x left - 30, 14, 10; 36 sec hold | right - 30, 12, 12; 38 sec hold (10 sec b/n sets

stretching

Not too bad today.  I tweaked my setting a bit and felt more powerful.  This was the first time working with the GHP6 126 on the left, and I was pleased with the results. I haven't decided yet whether I'll attempt my 137 on the right next week or not.

The choked closes are hard to film, but I think I got the 23mm and 25mm sets closed.  I didn't realize how bad my camera awareness was with the GHP block, but I was trying to show that it didn't quite fit through (25mm vs. 25.4mm/1 inch).  I compiled a few of the closes below. 

The new thumb strap was great. A lot more comfortable than the previous strap I was using. I like this strap work overall though. Gives me a mean thumb pump. 

image.thumb.jpeg.12c3ba0b23058db622596059a01402d8.jpeg

Quite a few new grippers I want to talk about, but I am going to wait until I get my next order in from CPW....

• Like 6

On 2/3/2024 at 11:10 PM, HandsMcHanderson said:

Much quicker to set-up and use vs a belt

8 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Much quicker to set-up and use vs a belt

This definitely. Also, much simpler for throwing in something like drop sets. You can just get the weights off much quicker and just back into the set. 

• Like 1

1-hour walk (actually 63min): 3.75 miles

I went for a few extra minutes to get to 3.75. 

Weight 2/5/24: 204.4 (down 3.2 from 1/8/24)

• Like 1

Workout 2/6/24:
Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps):
 145kg / 320lb x 3, 3, 3, 3, 14
A. Pause squat: 60kg x6 | 70kg x6 | 80kg x6 | 90kg x6
B. 2-Hand Flask: 20kg x5 | 40kg x5 | 60kg x5 | 70kg | 75kg | 81.45kg PR | 82.8kg miss | 55kg x 3 sets of 8

I came into this workout shooting for 15 on the AMRAP set with 145kg, but I was happy to be in the ballpark. Again, the 1RM estimates in these high rep ranges are just comical: this is the first time I've hit an estimated 1RM of 227kg / 500lb! Ha.

I was getting really worked up over the weekend about getting a safety squat bar.  I basically convinced myself it was my ticket to getting strong, but I hate when I get like this.  I have a propensity to think that the next step in my strength is just out of my reach because I don't have X/Y/Z, and if I just got that thing THEN I would get strong. This time I stopped myself.  I told myself maybe I could get stronger in the squat if I would just, I don't know, SQUAT. That's what tonight was. I cut the BS and just pushed my legs with the perfectly good equipment I already have plenty of. I kept it on the lighter side and counted my warmups as working sets because I haven't done these in a while, but I focused on the pause, positioning, and not using the stretch reflex at the bottom. 

Flask PR! I didn't weigh anything on the scale until the top set attempts. Everything else is nominal. I think I pulled it high enough, but in all honesty I don't know the rules around that. Now that I have a max to compare to, I'll do some volume work just gradually adding weight to those sets of 8 over the weeks. 

Bodyweight 2/6/24: 203.7 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Flask PR! I didn't weigh anything on the scale until the top set attempts. Everything else is nominal. I think I pulled it high enough, but in all honesty I don't know the rules around that. Now that I have a max to compare to, I'll do some volume work just gradually adding weight to those sets of 8 over the weeks.

Congrats on the Flask PR!  Looked high enough to me.

I believe 7.5" is the typical height (ex. see World Wide Grip Battle: No Excuses 2/5/22).

If you want to practice with a bar, I'm really happy with the Competition Uprights (with Knock Bar) that I got from @Lucasraymond at Arm Assassin Strength Shop.

20 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Congrats on the Flask PR!  Looked high enough to me.

I believe 7.5" is the typical height (ex. see World Wide Grip Battle: No Excuses 2/5/22).

If you want to practice with a bar, I'm really happy with the Competition Uprights (with Knock Bar) that I got from @Lucasraymond at Arm Assassin Strength Shop.

Thanks, and that's good to know. 

I've considered something like that, but I figure eyeballing is good enough unless I considered actually preparing for a competition someday. I try to just get it to what feels like a lock out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Thanks, and that's good to know. 

I've considered something like that, but I figure eyeballing is good enough unless I considered actually preparing for a competition someday. I try to just get it to what feels like a lock out. 

Makes sense to me.  I bought mine specifically to practice for Heavy Hands to get used to the feel/height.  Even then it kinda falls in that "nice to have" category unless you're a promoter running an event.

1 hour walk: 3.26 miles

Had to keep the pace lower at the beginning because the work I was doing was more involved with interpreting, writing, and typing. For the last 15 minutes, I cranked it to 4 mph. 

Weight 2/8/24: 203.9lb / 92.5 kg (down 3.7lb / 1 month)

• Like 2

Workout 2/8/24:
Overhead press:
 57.5kg / 127lb x 3, 3, 3, 3, 9
A. DB 1 1/2 Bench press: 55lb x 4 sets of 6
B. Fat Gripz DB Curls: 16kg/35lb side x 4 sets of 8
Seated DB overhead press: 40lb x 4 sets of 6

This workout was a little botched simply because I didn't realize just how much was supposed to change from the previous phase to this one. I just have been way too busy at work to revisit the program in detail. At least now I know and can tweak for next week. 

There might be a better way to annotate what I'm doing with DB bench press, but basically starting at the top I go down, up halfway, back down, then all the way up. So each rep is really 1 1/2 reps. The last rep of each of the last two sets was pretty tough. 

I'm not sure if it was just the increase in weight or the fact that my thumbs pads are still feeling my pinch workout from Tuesday, but the Fat Gripz curls had my forearms burning. Mean pump. 

I had to feel out the seated press, and this weight was pretty easy, but instead of going up in weight for now, I simply increased the density of the sets by shortening the rests to 45-60 seconds. That worked pretty well in accumulating fatigue by the end of the last set. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

A. DB 1 1/2 Bench press: 55lb x 4 sets of 6

There might be a better way to annotate what I'm doing with DB bench press, but basically starting at the top I go down, up halfway, back down, then all the way up. So each rep is really 1 1/2 reps. The last rep of each of the last two sets was pretty tough. 

Cool variation.  Sounds a bit like 21s with that extra bit in the lower end of the exercise...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Cool variation.  Sounds a bit like 21s with that extra bit in the lower end of the exercise...

Yeah, basically spending more time with the muscles at peak stretch. This also gives me more room for growth/advancement with my adjustable dumbbells. They go up to 80, so I imagine I would max them out pretty quickly doing just straight sets.

I've never in my life focused on barbell bench press (I've never been a 'how muchya bench?' kind of guy), but I have been considering the possibility of getting some safety arms to use for them at some point in the not-to-distant future.  Maybe for when I reset the program I am currently on. That would be ~9 weeks from now. 

• Like 2

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, safety bars have saved me a couple of times.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Knowlton said:

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, safety bars have saved me a couple of times.

Yeah, I’m not about getting pinned. That’s the main reason I don’t do it. I know it would be beneficial, but I’ve always trained alone. I got pinned one time a few years ago and had to do the lean and slide technique. Thankfully, it was light weight and I didn’t have collars on. Never did it again after that.

They aren’t too pricey, so I will probably get some in a few weeks when I’m closer to my next program cycle start. 

• Like 2