Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

8 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, safety bars have saved me a couple of times.

I've contemplated buying a half rack or something just to get safety bars.  But I pretty much would either need to build an addition to the house or sell my wife's Peloton bike to have enough space in my basement.  Both are non-starters...  😂🤣😅

So...I just do variations of dumbbell presses.  Lame thing is the couple of times I tried benching my hundos, the weights were on my chest as I kicked up and laid back, and I could never get them started from the bottom position.

Was super frustrating because at the time I could rep 88lb (85lb rubber hexes with pairs of 1 1/2lb change plates).  100lb seemed like a manageable leap without buying 90lb or 95lb to close the gap.

But hey...it was better than getting pinned or arguing with my wife about why her bike is gone.  🤪

4 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I've contemplated buying a half rack or something just to get safety bars.  But I pretty much would either need to build an addition to the house or sell my wife's Peloton bike to have enough space in my basement.  Both are non-starters...  😂🤣😅

So...I just do variations of dumbbell presses.  Lame thing is the couple of times I tried benching my hundos, the weights were on my chest as I kicked up and laid back, and I could never get them started from the bottom position.

Was super frustrating because at the time I could rep 88lb (85lb rubber hexes with pairs of 1 1/2lb change plates).  100lb seemed like a manageable leap without buying 90lb or 95lb to close the gap.

But hey...it was better than getting pinned or arguing with my wife about why her bike is gone.  🤪

Option to consider: folding wall-mounted half-rack.  I have the Rogue RML-3W, which can fold into the wall flush, though I keep it out all the time. Another company known for its wall-mounted, space-saving solutions is PRX. Tons of options with them. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

I do the same, just don’t go super heavy anymore as all I have are adjustables up to 90lbs.  In addition, the way I workout (intervals), 90s are more than enough for a hour + workout.  Never work to failure on presses also as I don’t want to drop my dumbbells 

• Like 2

NEVER DROP WEIGHTS. 

All my pressing is done in a power rack. I am a little on the old side and workout by myself. you just never know what could happen.

IMG_2246.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Knowlton said:

NEVER DROP WEIGHTS. 

All my pressing is done in a power rack. I am a little on the old side and workout by myself. you just never know what could happen.

IMG_2246.jpg

I can't drop my NuoBells. Warranty doesn't cover it 😂

I can't wait to have a full rack once  we build our house next year. I plan on getting one that has the built in 'selectorize' weight stack and pulley systems too. 

• Like 2

yep, we have bought and paid for all are stuff, it should never be mistreated. (cost too much to replace)

22 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

NEVER DROP WEIGHTS. 

IMG_2246.jpg

Need to find an adjustable (handle height) cable machine stat (and an arm wrestling table lol).  Titan sells a bolt to the wall one (plate loaded) for under $300, but I’m always suspicious of their equipment (many bad reviews)

14 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Need to find an adjustable (handle height) cable machine stat (and an arm wrestling table lol).  Titan sells a bolt to the wall one (plate loaded) for under $300, but I’m always suspicious of their equipment (many bad reviews)

I feel like their stuff can be hit or miss. I watch a lot of Gluck's gym review and Garage Gym Reviews with Coop when I'm deciding on stuff, and they seem to describe it the same way. The only thing I have from Titan is a pair of loadable Olympic size dumbbells, and I've been pleased with those. Way cheaper than Rogue's if I recall correctly. 

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

I feel like their stuff can be hit or miss. I watch a lot of Gluck's gym review and Garage Gym Reviews with Coop when I'm deciding on stuff, and they seem to describe it the same way. The only thing I have from Titan is a pair of loadable Olympic size dumbbells, and I've been pleased with those. Way cheaper than Rogue's if I recall correctly. 

Have t heard any bad reviews about that one and it’s a popular and well copied model (pic attached).  

All of the good arm wrestlers have advised getting a separate cable machine vs one that attaches to your table (they always need straps, etc).  I like this one as it allows angle adjustments 

I won’t be using it for heavy lat pulls, just arm work.  Gonna keep checking

IMG_5496.png

5 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Have t heard any bad reviews about that one and it’s a popular and well copied model (pic attached).  

All of the good arm wrestlers have advised getting a separate cable machine vs one that attaches to your table (they always need straps, etc).  I like this one as it allows angle adjustments 

I won’t be using it for heavy lat pulls, just arm work.  Gonna keep checking

IMG_5496.png

https://www.garagegymreviews.com/titan-wall-mounted-pulley-v3-review

Here's the full review plus video on it. 

50-min walk: 3.2 miles

Weight 2/9/28: 202.3 (down 5.3 lbs), but I may or may not be currently eating a bacon cheeseburger from Shake Shack. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Workout 2/10/24:
Squats: 107.5kg / 237lb x 3, 3, 3, 3, 10
SLDL: 110kg x 6 | 115kg x 6, 6 | 120kg x 6

Didn't feel super strong going into this one. I had a full day at work since I'm on call this week, and sitting all day at the computer interpreting flows just drains me in a weird way. Anyway, when I got up to the top set, the bar felt heavy on my back. Thankfully, I was here for it mentally and pushed for the 10th rep on the top set. Earlier this cycle, I hit this weight for 9, so I wanted the 10 and I got it, but it was tough. HR was ~180 coming off the set. It was really hard to get a nice gulp of air for reps 8-10. 

It's not the prettiest, but that's an AMRAP for you. 

Weight 2/10/24 AM: 203.6lb

• Like 2

Way cool , hard work pays off 

7 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool , hard work pays off 

Phew, I need it to. I've got to whip these weak legs into shape!

Workout 2/11/24:
Calf raises: 20kg x 30, 25, 15, 15 (10 sec b/n sets)
Anterior tibialis raises: 10kg x 25, 12, 12 (30 sec b/n sets)

A. Grippers:
      Right: 
                135 x 1  |  141 x ?, miss | 137 x 3 singles, 1 miss 
                BB Grand Master (150) Choked at 21, 23, 25.4mm / 1 inch
                BB Elite (162) Choked at 11mm, 15mm (miss)

Left, MMS: 
                 126 x 7 singles , 1 miss | 112 x 3, 3, 3,  9 click closes

B: Behind-the-Neck Push Press

Reverse Formulator curls: 3.75kg x 21, 10, 8 (30 sec b/n sets)
EZ bar wrist curls: 48.4lb  x 25, 13, 11  (60 sec b/n sets)

stretching

Ok, so I tried some new stuff today, and I think it shows promise. After all of the talk about CNS activation and PAP/PTF, I really wanted to try something out in that vein. I can't really squat on these days because I squat on Saturdays, and I can't bench press because I don't have safeties. It hit me last night that I could try doing something medium-heavy but explosive to really fire the CNS. 

I landed on push press, and I really liked it today.  I didn't really keep track of how many sets I did, but I started with 40kg x5 a few times and worked up to doing triples with 55kg between my gripper sets. I felt like it was really beneficial. I'll probably keep with it at least for a while. 

I knew I was going to go up in gripper on the right this week, but I wasn't sure how much. I attempted my 141, and I can't tell if I got it for a brief moment or if it was just a trick of the camera during my movement. Hard to say; screenshot below. Either way, I knew it wouldn't do as my working gripper, so I backed down to the 137, and it felt appropriate.

This was my first time ever working with the choked Elite I have. I wasn't sure if I would be able to do anything with it, so I was pleased with getting the 11mm set. I haven't decided if I am going to use it as my working choker gripper from these widths or use the Grand Master for wider sets. 

I tried to do my thumb work, but it aggravated my wrist on both sides, so I called it. 

image.thumb.jpeg.64a933a3a9522648c1ffe2cb62021e60.jpeg

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 3

Wasn’t able to quote you on this one for some reason, but walking is really the key to getting yourself into a calorie deficit (for those of us that need it and are retired)

IMG_5548.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Wasn’t able to quote you on this one for some reason, but walking is really the key to getting yourself into a calorie deficit (for those of us that need it and are retired)

IMG_5548.png

Yeah, a calorie deficit is the goal. I’m trying to keep getting stronger while slowly losing by imposing the calorie deficit through activity as opposed to more intense nutritional restriction. It’s tricky business. I also wanted the activity to minimally affect other training. I love kettlebell swings and rowing, but they are more likely to affect other aspects of training. Walking has the added benefit that I can do other things while I do it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah, a calorie deficit is the goal. I’m trying to keep getting stronger while slowly losing by imposing the calorie deficit through activity as opposed to more intense nutritional restriction. It’s tricky business. I also wanted the activity to minimally affect other training. I love kettlebell swings and rowing, but they are more likely to affect other aspects of training. Walking has the added benefit that I can do other things while I do it. 

Bottom line is if you want to make good gains while staying in a deficit, that deficit needs to be closer to your expenditure vs 500 or whatever below.  I’d even argue if you want gains, a deficit isn’t where you want to be seven day a week.  Gets even more complicated as you age and your body slows down lol

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Bottom line is if you want to make good gains while staying in a deficit, that deficit needs to be closer to your expenditure vs 500 or whatever below.  I’d even argue if you want gains, a deficit isn’t where you want to be seven day a week.  Gets even more complicated as you age and your body slows down lol

Yeah, I’m kinda playing it by ear for right now.  My week consists of a deficit throughout the weekdays (via meal prepping) with a focus on getting enough protein with some balancing re-feeding on the weekends. I’m seeing slow and steady loss at the moment with continued incremental strength gains. If the strength gains seem to stall out, I’ll have to reconsider the more typical cycling of gaining and losing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah, I’m kinda playing it by ear for right now.  My week consists of a deficit throughout the weekdays (via meal prepping) with a focus on getting enough protein with some balancing re-feeding on the weekends. I’m seeing slow and steady loss at the moment with continued incremental strength gains. If the strength gains seem to stall out, I’ll have to reconsider the more typical cycling of gaining and losing. 

Sounds like you’re on the right track.  Fat loss and putting on muscle is tough and takes discipline and patience 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maidenfan said:

Sounds like you’re on the right track.  Fat loss and putting on muscle is tough and takes discipline and patience 

Thanks. Yeah, patience is key. Meal prep and now daily weighing has helped with the discipline part for sure. Keeps me focused on not snacking and such.  

What gets measured gets managed. 

• Like 2

Just a longer video about some awesome new grippers I've gotten recently and wanted to talk about. 

Shoutout to @Cannon and @Allen Heineck!

• Like 3

I like calling those JoAnn bottle caps. 

🎵 JoAnn, JoAnn, JoAnn JOOAAANNNN
She's a bottle cap woman
Even though she can 🎶 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Cannon said:

I like calling those JoAnn bottle caps. 

🎵 JoAnn, JoAnn, JoAnn JOOAAANNNN
She's a bottle cap woman
Even though she can 🎶 

Never heard that one... But for some reason I sang it in my head to the tune of Dolly Parton's "Jolene".