Deload week day 1:

MMS: R IM2 x5x5  ;  L GHP4 x5x5

No chalk. 1 min rest b/n sets. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, DoctorOfCrush said:

Feb 27:
Warmup

R: 5 (109)
     6 (126)
     2.5 (134) x 1, 1       Wasn't sure if I got it the first time because of a weird set, so I did it again and smashed it. 
     BBSM (139)
     RB300N (144) (x)
     RB300N (144)        Boom! Got it!  Brand new PR. I'm in the 140s club.

Big congrats on joining the 140s club!  I'm sure you'll go much higher.  Your workouts look very solid. 

On March 25, 2016 at 10:33 PM, bencrush said:

Big congrats on joining the 140s club!  I'm sure you'll go much higher.  Your workouts look very solid. 

Thank so much! I really never thought I've even get this far.  I remember back when I could not even close the #1, thought I would never close the #2, and thought the #3 was mythical.  And that was barely over a year ago!  I didn't even close the IM2 until June.  I hope you're right about the workouts though.  I haven't had too many critiques, so I've been favoring the 'no news is good news' approach.

Mar 25:
Deload week day 2:
MMS:
 R IM2 x5x5; L GHP4 x5x5

No chalk.  1 min rest in b/n sets. 

• Like 1

Mar 26:
Deload week day 3:
MMS: R IM2 x5x5; L GHP4 x5x5

Minimal chalk. 1 min rest in b/n sets.

I'll add more chalk and rest as the week progresses.  Lastly, I'll reduce reps and eventually have a complete day of no work. 

Mar 27:
Deload week day 4:
MMS:
 R IM2 x5x5; L GHP4 x5x5

Minimal chalk. 2 min rest in b/n sets. SUPER easy. Tomorrow I'll only do triples. 

I finally found a way to train hub.  I was looking for a hockey puck to use as a cheap alternative, which apparently doesn't exist in East TN, but I found an option at my parents' house which is 2 13/16" in diameter and 1" in depth.  Pretty darn close to the IM hub.  It's slick, but it has enough of a surface to hold onto chalk pretty well.  I was stoked.

Hub: up to 30# w/ R and 25# w/ L.  3 holds for time at these weights. 

I realized pretty quickly that I had a lot of work to do, but I really have no idea how to structure any kind of hub training.  I'm going to post on the main board to get ideas for workout routines. 

• Like 1

Mar 28:
Deload week day 5:
MMS:
 R IM2 x3x5; L GHP4 x 3x5

Normal chalk. 2 min rest b/n sets. Just singles tomorrow.  Nothing the next day.  Back at a real MMS workout the next day. 

Mar 29:
Deload week day 6:
MMS:
 R IM2 x1x5; L GHP4 x1x5

Normal chalk. 2 min rest b/n sets.  Ridiculously easy.  By far the easiest the IM2 has ever felt. All of the reps were grinders.  Here's the last one.

• Like 2

Mar 31:
MMS:
 R up to BBSM (139).  I did 5 total reps there.  After my first rep at 139, I was feeling saucy and (even though I told myself beforehand that I would not go over it) took a shot at BBGM (147); nope. 

L up to 126, with my five misses.  Barely a piece of paper could have fit through the handles on the 3rd and 4th attempts.  So so close.  Dropped back to HG250 and did 3 reps there. 

Negatives: R BBHE x 1,1,1; L RB300N x 1,1,1

Hub:  Geez, this thing is just humbling.  I did only 32.5 with R and 27.5 with L.  I kept trying to tell myself that it was only the second time I had ever done it.  It may be that the 'hub' I'm using is quite a bit slicker than the IM hub, or I may just be THAT weak.  I tried messing around with the 'claw' grip to keep pushing higher, and I just couldn't get the hang of it.  I'm hope it will come with time. 

Apr 2:
a. 53# pullups:
 4, 3, 3, 2, 1
b. 25# ring dips: 5, 4, 4, 3, 2

a. 4-finger pullups: 8, 7, 6, 5, 4
b. Hammer curls: 25x5, 30x5, 35x5x3
c. Decline pushups: 15, 15, 15, 12, 12

Dynamic pinch: 3x5; 3x 20s holds

Apr 3:
53# Alternating Long Cycle: 5 sets of 10 w/ 1 min rest in b/n
53# KB Cleans: 5 sets of 5 each arm on the minute 

It had been a while since I had done any KB stuff, so I threw it in today because my wife is at work, and I was really bored, honestly. 

I start my surgery rotation tomorrow, and I'm really dreading it.  The pessimist in me says that the goal of the next 6 weeks from an exercise and strength standpoint is maintenance, and the optimist in me says, "Yeah, that's about right."  I have just been told that it is the worst rotation in terms of just being exhausted, so it will be really hard for me to find the time and energy to workout.  I may have to go to a once a week training schedule for my gripping if it gets too hard to do it during the week, but I think I may try to do a Monday/Friday setup.  We'll see if the weekend is enough time to recover, but I doubt that, unfortunately. But hey, it's only six weeks of dealing with terrible hours and terrible attitudes, so 30 days not counting the weekends.  I'm already counting down the days. . . 

Ugh, so as I expected, surgery immediately started taking a toll on my grip training.  It's just hard to grip when you get home after you woke up at 4:15 to get to the hospital and round on patients before going to stand in surgery and hold retractors all day long.  I tried getting some work in on Tuesday after my day, but I just did not have any finishing umph.  I would have had some coffee or other form of caffeine, but I avoid it in the afternoon so I can get back to sleep early enough to get some hours in before 4 am. 
Apr 5:
R: 1" block: 109 x 5, 5, 4
    MMS: HG250 x 3, 4
    Click: 126 x 3, 3

L: 1" block: 103 x 3, 3, 2
    MMS: 103 x 4, 3
    Click: 103x5, 109x3

So as you can see, I probably should have been able to get at least 1-2 more reps on every set that I did during this workout.  Once I realized this, I decided I would cut it short and plan on gripping once a week for the next 6 weeks of surgery.

Today was better though.  I still had to go in and see patients this morning (and I found out I'll have to tomorrow morning as well), but I was able to get done a bit earlier and get some coffee in my system. 

Apr 9:
R: 1.5" block: up to 126
    1" block: up to 126 (very close on 134)
    MMS: up to 139 with 4 singles there. Barely missed the 5th single
    Paracord hold w/ 5#: IM2 x 17s, 19s, 13s
    Cooldown w/ IM1: 33, 2 min rest, 26

L: 1.5" block: up to 103
    1" block: up to 109 
    MMS: up to HG250 then 4 attempts @ 126.  Closer than I have ever been on the 3rd attempt.
    Overcrush: 109 x 5 singles
    Paracord hold w/ 5#: GHP4 x 18s, 16s, 20s
    Cooldown w/ IM1: 18, 2 min rest, 13

Man, it felt to get some good work in.  I also took an attempt at 144 w/ R, but I just didn't have it today, so I stuck to some quality reps at 139.  I'll probably stick to that for a few more workouts just really focusing on crushing the handles together.   I'm thinking that throughout the week I'll start just doing some KB stuff to keep the blood flowing as I don't have to be at peak performance to accomplish those workouts.  I might throw in some pinch next Saturday because I won't have to round on pts next weekend.  We'll see. 

• Like 1

Apr 10:
53# Pullups: 4, 4, 3, 2, 1
25# Ring Dips: 5, 5, 4, 3, 2

Ring Pushups: 12, 12, 12, 10, 10
4-Finger Pullups: 8, 7, 6, 5, 5

1HP: 25#, 35, 40, 42.5 w/ high pulls, 42.5 holds ( L/R) 7s/10s, 8s/11s, 11s/12s.
This was my first time toying around with this.  I just used a 2x4.  I stopped at 42.5 because the next weight I have available is 53#, and I just couldn't quite break ground this first go round.  I liked it overall. 

Dynamic pinch work

Hopefully I'll have some energy tomorrow after my day to do some KB work. 

• Like 1

Apr 11:

Simple and sinister w/ 53#/70#: 12:40

Apr 13:

Simple and Sinister w/ 53#/70#: 10:10. I've got sub-10 in me. Next time. Then I'll do my swings w/ 70#. 

Apr 14:

Simple and Sinister w/ 53#/70#: 9:00.  This is probably close to limit of my speed. I did all 100 one arm swings unbroken, focusing on keeping my power output as high as possible. I knew the swings went well because my traps didn't burn, but my lats and butt started to. 

I think I'll start using the 70 for my swings again starting with my next workout. 

Apr 16 & 17:
Had a crap gripper workout yesterday.  The sleep debt I'm accruing from waking up at 4:15 every morning is very obviously taking its toll on my maximum effort.  I couldn't even close my 139 MMS.  Thirty minutes after I got done gripping, I took a 2 hour nap. Hopefully it will be a little bit better next week, but we'll just have to see. I'll definitely have to do it later in the day. 

Today, I fooled around with pinch for about half an hour. 

Pinch w/ 2x4:
42.5 x 6 alternating high pulls
53(x)
50(x)
50 make L, miss R
53 cleared L, miss R
50 x alternating high pulls 6, 6, 6
Holds w/ 42.5 x 11s/15s, 12/16, 13/12

I figured out I was actually using too much chalk in my initial attempts.  It became much easier when I found a happy medium. This felt pretty good for my second pinch session. I tried some 2HP, but I broke the little hook I was using with the 2x4 when I got 90 up, so I'll have to actually go buy an eye bolt. 

On April 19, 2016 at 10:10 PM, avasatu said:

What are you using for 1hp device/width wise?

A 2x4, so 1.5". Obviously not the best, but it will have to suffice for the time being. I would love to have a flask. 

Apr 20:

I finally felt alive enough to do something this afternoon! 

Simple and sinister w/ 70#: 11:31. 

I was not expecting to meet the simple goal (<15:00 w/ the 70#), but I was feeling really explosive, and I blew it away. It's been a while since I've done the getups after getting gassed by the swings, so they felt a little tough. All in all, I was pleased. 

Apr 23:
So I actually had an ok workout today.  It was nothing extraordinary, but it was at the very least a maintenance workout. 

R: 1.5": up to 126 (~1mm off on 134)
1": up to 126 (~1mm off on 134 again! Ugh)
MMS: 139 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1       Probably more like deep sets w/ holds.
#2 click cool down: 13

L: 1.5": up to HG250
MMS: 126 x 3 misses
Braced: 126 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
Click: 109 x 5, 4
GHP4 click cool down: 24

My sets feel a little off.  It's like I'm a little out of practice.  At least that's how it feels. I'll be excited when I can get back to more regular training. 

Pinch:
25#x 5 high pulls
42.5 x 6 alt high pulls
42.5 x 6 alt high pulls
50 x 1 high pull/side
53 x 1/side    PR
55.5 x 1/side    PR
58 x 1 miss/side    Cleared it w/ both sides about 4-5 inches but no lockout. 

53 x 6 alt high pulls x 3 sets

Holds w/ 42.5 x 18s/14s , 14/15 , 14/14 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush

Just hang in there, you'll be through this soon and back to more normal training!!!

BTW? what is this "simple and sinister" ? I seem to have missed what that entails somewhere along the way?

4 hours ago, Peter Brannstrom said:

Just hang in there, you'll be through this soon and back to more normal training!!!

BTW? what is this "simple and sinister" ? I seem to have missed what that entails somewhere along the way?

Thanks, Peter! Only 3 more weeks of this surgery rotation......

Simple and sinister is a kettle bell workout designed by Pavel Ts....something. I can't remember how to spell his last name right now, and I don't want to butcher it. It consists of 10 sets of 10 1-arm swings followed by 10 alternating Turkish get ups. The goal is to complete the swings in 5 minutes and the getups in 10. The first weight goal is 32kg and the upper weight goal is 48kg. It's perfect for me right now because it is an amazing workout but only takes 15 minutes per day. 

Apr 29:

Squeezed in a maintenance crush workout yesterday. Nothing special, and a little weaker than last week honestly. I've been pretty beat all week. I was at 60 hrs in the hospital as of yesterday, and now I'm on my 24-hour call shift. Only 2 more weeks...

• 2 weeks later...

Actually had an ok workout on Saturday! Maybe it's a sign that after this last week of surgery I'll be able to jump back into my training full tilt. That's what I'm hoping at the very least...

MMS: up to 139 for 8 singles with R; up to 126 for 8 braced singles with L  

Negatives: 144 x 3 each hand 

All-in-all, I felt strong for the first time in a while. I really hope that my training will pick back up come next week.

Update before I start psych.  I am SO glad to finally be done with surgery.  I've slept SO much during the past few days since my test on Friday.  It's awesome.  Now that I'm starting psych, I'll have a ton more time to get back into training, and I'm super excited.  Here's what I plan on doing:

S:   Off
M:   Gripper rep workout & pinch
T:   KB work  
W:   Push/Pull workout
R:   Off
F:   MMS heavy single workout & pinch
S:   KB work

- The rep workout will be 3 sets of 1" block reps, 2 sets of MMS reps, and 5 sets of clicks sets +/- paracord holds at the end.  The goal of each set will be 3-5 reps. 
- The MMS workout will be working up to a heavy single (max of 3 attempts), dropping back as needed to reach 5 heavy reps total.  Then I'll do some choked singles at increasing distances until failure.  Then 3 negatives each hand at the end. 
- My pinch workout will be working up to a heavy single (3 max attempts) then dropping down to do 5 sets of 6-10 alternating reps.  I'll follow up with 3-5 sets of holds. 
- KB work will consist of doing the simple and sinister workout as well as some cleans/snatches/press variations as I have the energy. 
- Push/pull will be the weighted pull-up and dip variations that I had been doing in the past. 

I'm not sure how I'll do with less rest (only 2 days) b/n my F and M workouts, but I figured it was worth a shot.  At least I'll have consistent workout days from week-to-week and there really was not any other way to do that and have more than one workout day each week.  I'll just have to keep a close eye on my progress and adjust as needed. 

TL;DR:  I'm really excited about having more time to workout, and I plan on capitalizing on it.