Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

This is my opinion on the subject. I recently within a 2 1/2 month period of time, went from a COC 2.5 to a GHP level 7. This is with a MMS. I start off with very light grippers as warm ups super setting them with presses or pulls. I MMS everything. When I rep a gripper it is a short rep. Meaning; once the gripper is closed you barely open it just by a couple of mm before you close it again. Once completely warmed up, you move to your training grippper. For instance; if this is a GHP 6, you are going to attempt 5 sets of 5 short reps. These are the same several mm movements I spoke of earlier. Your goal gripper will be the GHP 7 or the COC 3. During my training sets I am attempting between 1 and 5 short reps. I will do this for 5 sets. At any time during these training sets, I cannot no longer close the GHP , I will move down to the COC 2.5 To finish my 5X5. I do this workout every 3 to 4 days. Once you reach 5X5 short reps with any said gripper you should attempt your goal gripper; in this case the GHP 7. Once you are closing GGHP 7, it now becomes your training gripper and the GHP 8 becomes your goal gripper. Same rules apply. Each set I am attempting between 1 and 5 short reps. If during this time I can no longer close it for a single, I would move back down to the GHP 6 to finish off my five sets. In between every set I do, I perform a pushing or pulling set of something such as cable rows or the like. Using this workout I will soon be at the GHP level 8. It really does work. During these last 2 months: I have done no forced closes, no over closes, no timed holds and no negatives. My strength has gone through the roof. MM0 is in the bag once I reach 10 posts. This style of training really works and it works quick!! PM me if you have additional questions on this. Thanks

• Like 1

This is my opinion on the subject. I recently within a 2 1/2 month period of time, went from a COC 2.5 to a GHP level 7. This is with a MMS. I start off with very light grippers as warm ups super setting them with presses or pulls. I MMS everything. When I rep a gripper it is a short rep. Meaning; once the gripper is closed you barely open it just by a couple of mm before you close it again. Once completely warmed up, you move to your training grippper. For instance; if this is a GHP 6, you are going to attempt 5 sets of 5 short reps. These are the same several mm movements I spoke of earlier. Your goal gripper will be the GHP 7 or the COC 3. During my training sets I am attempting between 1 and 5 short reps. I will do this for 5 sets. At any time during these training sets, I cannot no longer close the GHP , I will move down to the COC 2.5 To finish my 5X5. I do this workout every 3 to 4 days. Once you reach 5X5 short reps with any said gripper you should attempt your goal gripper; in this case the GHP 7. Once you are closing GGHP 7, it now becomes your training gripper and the GHP 8 becomes your goal gripper. Same rules apply. Each set I am attempting between 1 and 5 short reps. If during this time I can no longer close it for a single, I would move back down to the GHP 6 to finish off my five sets. In between every set I do, I perform a pushing or pulling set of something such as cable rows or the like. Using this workout I will soon be at the GHP level 8. It really does work. During these last 2 months: I have done no forced closes, no over closes, no timed holds and no negatives. My strength has gone through the roof. MM0 is in the bag once I reach 10 posts. This style of training really works and it works quick!! PM me if you have additional questions on this. Thanks

So this is something that I've been toying with on my high rep days. I will do legitimate MMS multi-rep sets (usually ~5x5) and follow up with what I call click closes (basically what you have described above). I typically start the sets by seeing how many clicks I can muster and follow with 2-4 more sets of usually 1 less that the max I established holding the last rep for a few seconds. I may start attempting some heavier clicks (e.g. with my 2.5 or GHP6) after my MMS rep sets.

Feb 6:

Ugh. Finally done with Ob wards. No more waking up at 4:30! For now at least...

Warmup

20mm: 5 (109) x6/ LT2 x5

HG250 x3/ LT2 x5 A mixture of filing this more down (~5mm now) and doing measured sets made for this gripper feeling very difficult.

HG250 x3/ LT2 x5

MMS: HG250 x4/ LT2 x6

HG250 x4/ LT2 x5

Click: GHP6 (126) x3/ 109 x3

126 x2/ 109 x3

126 x3/ 109 x5 I took a little bit more rest before this set (5 minutes). I was close to getting 4 on the 6 too.

2.5 x3/ 109 x4 I wanted to see how much different the 2.5 felt with the same rating. It wasn't too much different but there may have been a little slippage with the decreased knurling when compared to the 6.

126 x2/ 109 x3

Negatives: 300N x1, 1, 1

Lots of reps today, but they felt great. I really want to file the LT2, but something just won't let me! It's just such a nice looking gripper.

Here are some of the best sets from today. I'm pretty sure I got that fifth rep right at the end. Looks like my first 6 rep was a out of frame.

Feb 6 PM:

I got some new toys yesterday. . .

Feb 7:

High bar back squats: 84kg x5x5

DO Deadlift: 115kgx5, 120x5, 120x5, 120x5, 115x5

The squats were pretty tough again today. Probably won't make a very big jump next week. I think I got a little overconfident with the deadlifts, especially considering I taxed my grip so much yesterday as well as my upper/mid back. The 5th reps on the last 3 sets weren't terribly pretty. I think I would have had cleaner ones had I not done all that I did yesterday. At any rate, I'll try to keep a day in-between these two types of workouts from now on.

Feb 10:

I've decided to break the workout down into L and R to make it easier to write out/read. 

Warmup

R:     MMS:  2

HG250

2.5 (126)

2.5 (134) (x)

2.5 (134)          MMS PR

BBSM (139)     MMS PR

Deep set: BBGM (147) (x) x2

Braced set: 147 (x) x2         Pretty close on the second one of these. 

Deep set: 139 x 1, 1, x

134 (x)

Click set cool down: GHP4 x45           Just trying these out.  Felt pretty good. 

L:     MMS: LT2 (103)  filed 3mm

5 (109)

HG250

2.5 (126) (x) x2

Deep set: 126 (x) x2

Braced set: 126 (x) x2

Deep set: 109 x 6 singles

103 OC

Click set cool down: GHP4 x33

Here are my MMS sets:

Feb 11:

Climbing hold pull-ups: 4 finger x 8, 8; 3 finger x 3            Woah, the 3-finger are exponentially harder.  Once I can do 10, I'll start adding weight. 

Pullups: 10, 8, 8

Just wanted to knock out something pretty quick to break up my studying today.  National ObGyn clerkship exam is tomorrow. 

Feb 13:

Ahh! Done with Ob!  That feels good to say. 

High bar back squats: 195# x5x5

I've always had mobility going for me, but never strength (my all-time 5RM on back squat is 250#). Nevertheless, it still feels good when some compliments your form (basically my butt hits my ankles roughly 3-4 inches max above the ground).  The guy walked up and said,"Your form, sir, is inspiring."  That made me laugh. 

I decided today that I want to do something about how weak my legs are (I have NEVER squatted 300#).  In the past, I think the biggest mistakes I've made are not resting enough (which I'm hoping to take care of with only squatting once/week) and not doing supplemental leg strengthening exercises apart from front and back squats (and, technically, cleans and snatches, but same principle).  I'm hoping to take of the second problem with hip-belt squats, which I started doing today, and I honestly really like them. 

Hip-belt squats: 80#x5, 100#x5, 110#x5x3

I really think that these will help my legs get quite a bit stronger, or at least I hope so. The only downside is with my schedule this means that for the time being I'll have to not do deadlifts or at least find another time to do them. 

Feb 14:

So, as soon as I got done with my workout last week, which included multiple attempts on the BBGM, I remembered that I always thought that my RB300N and CoC 3 felt easier than my BBGM for whatever reason even though they were both rated higher.  The numerical value of the ratings had kept me from attempting either of these grippers for the past few workouts.  Why bother with a 148 & 150 when I can't close a 147, right?  Well, I decided today that I would take a quick crack at them and see if they still at least felt easier than the BBGM.  I honestly feel like they did. . . 

Warmup

R: Deep set: 2 x3

5(109)

HG250

2.5(126)

2.5(134)

BBSM(139)

3(150) x 2 attempts

300N(148) x 2 attempts

20mm: HG250 x 3, 5, 5

MMS: 6(126) x 2, 2                 PR doubles. 

Click: 6(126) x 2, 3, 2, 2, 1     By this point, I could barely set let alone crush. 

L: Deep set: LT2(103) x3

5(109) 

HG250

2.5(126) (x)     ~3mm off.  I'm actually getting pretty close here. 

20mm: LT2 x 5, 5, 4

MMS: LT2 x 5, 6

Click: GHP5 (109) x 5, 5, 5, 4, 3

Neg: 2.5(126) x 1, 1, 1

Thumb clamps: 25, 21, 20, 16

Phew, this was a really LONG workout, but it felt great.  I really did not have much left once I got to the reps on my R, so I kind of shorted myself by attempting deep sets, but I definitely got closer than I ever have on both the 300N and the #3, so that part was worth it.  I ordered a spectrum 300N rated at 144# from Cannon, and after today I'll be REALLY surprised if I can close it during my first workout with it.  Here are some of my best attempts:

This just came in the mail, and I'm fighting hard not to jump into a workout right now...

Hopefully this thing will go down come Thursday. 

image.jpeg

Well though I have not yet tried this particular gripper, I can tell you that I initially did not like my regular RB300N.  I'm not totally sure why, but it was probably because I was just mad I was so far from closing it haha.  It has definitely grown on me though, and I like it quite a lot now. 

I can tell you right now that I love the color of this thing.  The blue is quite a bit darker than I expected, and I really like it.  The knurling is pretty aggressive like my other RB.  Perfect for filing calluses!

Didn't you just order a few?  Have you received them yet? 

I have 5, with 2 more on the way, and I'm hoping to get 2 more once CPW rates more. I quite like them myself. I enjoy the smoothness of the strength curve (hard to put into words). The knurling is pretty good too. I just am curious of other peoples' opinions of them as well.

I actually know exactly what you're talking about, and I don't know exactly how to word it either. I just remember thinking it felt weird at first. It felt like it was stiffer than my #3 even though I could get it further, but it just ramps up more evenly rather than saving more for the end. 

Feb 16:
Pullups: 13, 10, 9, 8, 7
Death by chin-ups: 7 minutes (~28)

I didn't do any climbing hold pull-ups because I wanted to just get a lot of reps in and get my heart pumping. 

Feb 18:

Right off the bat, I may or may not have PR'd tonight.  I'll let the board decide.  Anyway. . . 
Warmup

R:  MMS: 5 (109)
                 HG250
                 2.5 (126)
                 2.5 (134)
                 BBSM (139)
                 RB300N (144) (x)
                 144. . . . . . maybe
                 144 (x)
                 144 (x)                     Yes, I took 4 freaking attempts on this gripper because I wanted it! 
                 134                          Double attempt
                 126                          Double attempt.  Very close on this one. 
                 109x7 block set       I finally got a GHP block, so I figured I'd break it in a little bit. 

Negatives: BBHE x 1, 1, 1       I bought a hybrid elite from Brett in his super gripper sale for the purpose of trying out way out of range negatives.  These went pretty well.  I basically set the thing and get it to ~1 in.  Its so hefty, but they actually did feel productive. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

L: MMS: 5 (109)
               HG250
               2.5 (126) (x)        Ever closer. . . 
               2.5 (126) (x)

Braced reps: 126 (x)
                       126 (x)

126             About time. 
                       134             Didn't expect that one. 

MMS: 109x3                      Pretty sure this is a PR. 
           109x3 
           109xOC

Negatives: 3 (150)x 1, 1, 1

Ok, so here are a few videos, but first and foremost I'll post the closest RB300N attempt that I had.  Either I missed by a tiny margin, or my angle and the bevel of the gripper handle made it look like I missed my said margin.  I really cannot tell. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the time where it's most likely you closed the 144 is the time the handles aren't quite facing the camera. Leaning towards a yes (there was a split second where I was 99% sure they were closed), though, but it's definitely not clear. Nice work, man!

Edited by avasatu

Feb 19:

a. 25# Pullups: 8, 7, 6, 5, 4
b. 53# KB Press: 6, 10, 8, 8, 8

25# Chinups: 4, 5, 6. . . I was going to work back up to 7 & 8, but I was pretty beat and didn't want to break form too badly reaching for these. 

25# Dumbbell Pinch: 10/6, 14/17, 20/16; Hold: 20 sec/18 sec

I have really been wanting to get into pinch, but lack of equipment (due to money/space/etc.) has held me back.  I figured I'll just start messing with this dumbbell with lifts and holds even though the reps get pretty high and the holds long.  Either way, I'm just going to work with what I have, and this is what it looked like though it may just be silly.  Yes, those are pillows from the guest room bed, and no, don't tell my wife haha.  I measured the hex at 4 1/8" across. 

13 minutes ago, avasatu said:

Unfortunately, the time where it's most likely you closed the 144 is the time the handles aren't quite facing the camera. Leaning towards a yes (there was a split second where I was 99% sure they were closed), though, but it's definitely not clear. Nice work, man!

Thanks man!  This is what I was thinking too.  It felt closed, but the video was not definitive, which is unfortunate.  I definitely won't be calling this my PR just yet.  I wouldn't want to do that on a close that might have been.  I want to hear that sucker click!

Feb 20:
High-bar Back Squats: 205x5x5
Hip belt Squats: 110x5, 120x4, 115x5, 115x5, 115x5

Ugh, squatting was tough.  All of the last reps of the sets were some grinders.  I was really banking on some noob gainz up to at least 225x5x5 since it had been so long since I've squatted and I'm putting in so much rest, but that just hasn't been the case.  I may look up/switch to an actual program designed for once a week squatting or supplement with something at home mid-week.  We'll see.  I'm just so tired of having weak legs. 

I whiffed on the 5th rep of the 120 set.  I think it's because I was doing some pretty severe pauses, but the 115 didn't give me too much trouble.  Hopefully I'll knock out 120x5x5 next week. 

So it seems that merely discussing medial epicondylitis with Justin Matney has caused mine to flare up.  I figured if I was going to floss anyway to help it I would make a quick video on how I do it/what it looks like.  I'm posting it here because I don't really know how many people deal with this, so I wasn't sure if it would be of that much worth to the main board. 

• Like 3

nice, the gripper closes with elbow extended in full supination or pronation really isolates that area! You just have to be careful to use light resistance and focus more on high reps. Some people find some relief with different taping techniques like kinesio tape or Brian Mulligan's leukotape techniques (I think leukotape is pretty cheap also). working on strengthening the extensors should also help (at least theoretically speaking) because in grip sport we tend to over stress so much the wrist/finger flexors with many things that we do. Btw are you a physician? 

1 minute ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

nice, the gripper closes with elbow extended in full supination or pronation really isolates that area! You just have to be careful to use light resistance and focus more on high reps. Some people find some relief with different taping techniques like kinesio tape or Brian Mulligan's leukotape techniques (I think leukotape is pretty cheap also). working on strengthening the extensors should also help (at least theoretically speaking) because in grip sport we tend to over stress so much the wrist/finger flexors with many things that we do. Btw are you a physician? 

Yeah, I use the grippers occasionally, and I wish I had something lighter than a CoC1 to use for this warmup. I've never tried the taping only because doing this before and after typically takes care of it.  I totally agree with the extensor work as well.  It makes perfect sense that there would be forced antagonist (i.e. flexor) relaxation. 

And I'm not a physician YET, but give me ~15 months (3rd year med student now). 

I remember when Kody was in the grip well he mentioned swearing by contrast baths, that it flushed out uncirculated blood and lymphatic fluid and pumped fresh in. I wonder if voodoo flossing is doing the same thing. 

• Like 1