Click closes to overcrush:

GHP5 (109) x6
                   GG4 (115) x6
                   Silvis T-rex (120) x6
      Left:
              Warmup
              1" block closes (GHP)
                   CoC 2 x 5 doubles
                   GHP4 x3 doubles (second set w/ bumper 2 turns, third with bumper 4 turns
                   LT2 (103) x 4 doubles
              Click closes to overcrush:

CoC 2 x6
                   GHP5 (109) x6
                   GG4 (115) x6

This workout took some feeling out. The goal with the block sets is speed with explosive closes, all done with 1 min rest. I feel happy with the GHP5 on the right, but it was hard to find a good weight on the left. I was getting the reps in on the CoC 2, but they didn't feel as fast/dominate as I was wanting for this workout, so I backed down. The problem is the GHP4 felt way too easy ( I REALLY want to get the GHP4 and CoC 2 rated). I attempted to use the bumper, but it was still way too easy. The LT2 felt alright, so I'll probably stick with that for now.  I'm considering trying out the RB adjustable next week. 

For the 'click closes to overcrush' I just deep set the gripper, close it, then open it as little as possible (literally 1-2 mm), and slam it shut again. Once I'm done with 5-6 reps, I do an overcrush for 5 sec or so. Again, this was feeling things out, and my last sets will probably be my working sets going forward. 

Double kettlebell press (lighter day): 34kg/hand x 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1

• Like 3

Nice grip workout today

Thanks! Just getting the reps in. Any time I can get out to the gym on a week night after the girls go to sleep, that’s a win. 

It also felt good to just get good solid closes in focusing on slamming the handles and squeezing with all my fingers. I actually went back through my log yesterday and was amazed at how impatient I was about grippers. It’s no wonder it fizzled out back then ha. 

• Like 2

I know what you saying 

Workout 3/17/23:

GRIPPERS

Right:
     Warmup
     MMS (ish): 
          BBSM (139) x 1, 1
          GHP7 (143) x miss (1mm to less than a mm)
          BBSM (139) x 1
     Negatives/Holds (5 sec):
          CoC 3 (146) x 3 sets

Left:
     Warmup
     MMS (ish): 
          Silvis T-Rex adjustable (set to 120) x 1
          CoC 2.5 (126) x 1, 1, 1
     Negatives/Holds (5 sec):
          CoC3 2.5 (134) x 3 sets

Pretty low volume tonight. I realized after I finished that I had planned to do a bit of volume between the MMS singles and the negatives, but I'll do it next time. I was feeling really strong during this. I'm not sure if others have experienced this before, but the BBSM handles felt like they were hitting together sooner than expected. Like my hand expected to have to push a bit harder, but it was already metal on metal. That's why I went for the GHP7.  I thought it was going down! It was super close. At or less than 1mm. For the left, I'm pretty sure that CoC 2.5 (126) is a PR (I haven't sleuthed back through all my logs). Then I hit it two more times! In watching the videos, it's clear that these were not great, true MMS sets. Mostly deeper sets. I think I'll stay at the same weight and try to focus on actually getting quality MMS reps. 

• Like 3

Workout 3/18/23:

Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4]x3, [1,2,3]x2 (i.e. 18 working sets) 1:30-2:00 rest b/n sets
     A. Behind the neck press: 40kg x10, 8 (+2 push press), 8 (+2 push press)
         1:30-2:00 rest
     B. Double kettlebell snatch: 24kg/hand x 5, 5, 5
         1:30-2:00 rest

75 min

Phew. I forgot how much those double KB snatches will gas you. It's been a long time since doing them, but I really enjoy them. May incorporate them more often. The ole shoulders were pretty blasted after all of this. 

• Like 5

Workout 3/19/23:

A. Squat: 97.5kg x 5 x 3 sets
     B. Plate pinch curls: 5kg (2 x2.5kg plates) x 8 x3 sets
     A. Front squat: 60kg x 5 x 5 sets
     B. Seated RGT cable row: 15kg x 8, 25kg x8, 35kg x6 x2 sets (all per arm)
     65 min

It had been a while since squatting. I think 2+ weeks with COVID. The legs were feeling really weak. The last set of the 97.5kg was supposed to be 5+, but I just left it at 5 with the plan to repeat the weight next time for a real 5, 5, 5+. 

I liked the RGT cable rows. They really tested my ability to hang on to the handle, and they were less cumbersome than the bent over rows with a loading pin. One tricky part was not getting pulled forward (I don't yet have a setup to anchor my feet). 

I also liked the plate pinch curls, but I am not sure yet how to scale them up without having to make huge jumps in weight and width whenever I want to advance. 

Might row on the C2 tonight to get the blood pumping. 

• Like 3

nice work especially just getting over covid.

Edited by John Knowlton

57 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice work especially just getting over covid.

Thanks! Trying to bounce back stronger. I’ll probably get pretty gassed tonight if I’m able to get in some rowing. 

Workout 3/20/22:

Rowing: 250m warmup 1:03

3x 500m   2:03, 1:57, 1:49

Just a quickie tonight. I really didn’t want to do this because I was tired. Thankfully I told my wife earlier in the day that I was going to, so she held me to it. We took turns doing a few 500s. Rest was however long it took the other person. I tried my best to keep my strokes at a constant rate (~24 spm), so better times just mean more wattage. I’d say the 1:49 was an RPE 7 or so, so I might have a sub-1:40 in me. 

Workout 3/21/23:

Dynamic Effort Grippers

Right: 
        1" GHP Block: GHP5 (109) x 12 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: Silvis T-rex (120) x 6 x 5 sets

Left: 
        1" GHP Block: CoC 2 x 12 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: GG4 (115) x 5 x 5 sets

Felt fast tonight. My warmups felt good, so I decided to re-attempt the CoC2 on the left to see if I could get them explosively. The reps felt good. The click closes on the left were tough.  Had to focus to not let the slip open more than I wanted it to. Felt overall dominant with the grippers on the right. 

Decided not to do any follow-up work tonight (presses, accessories, etc.) because I still needed to finish up some tumor board prep for tomorrow before I hit the hay. 

• Like 4

I was feeling froggy tonight, so I decided to row a 5k. I don’t remember the last I ever did, so I don’t know how this time holds up against my previous. I’ve probably only ever done it once or twice anyway. Just tried to keep my strokes consistent with a manageable pace. 

Rowing: 5000m 22:12

avg 2:13/500m

avg 24 strokes/minute

• Like 2

I think I should be able to get in some good pinch training carrying the papers on updated leukemia/lymphoma diagnostic classification schema…

3A486BE5-C1B4-4F35-8BA1-8E0581DDB054.thumb.jpeg.4523530a6fb7bbf4ee0641f6f295dad6.jpeg

• Haha 1

Workout 3/24/23:

I was pretty tired coming into tonight.  I actually fell asleep briefly while getting one of my daughters to sleep. There was a late night leukemia page last night that I had to deal with that I think messed up my sleep more than I initially thought. Either way, I got out there and got the reps in at least. 

Grippers

Right:
     Warmup
     MMS: BBSM (139) x 4 singles; GHP5 (109) x 5 x 3 sets
     Negatives: CPW 300N(144) x1, Standard Tungsten Adjustable Extended (~145) x1

Left:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis Adjustable T-rex (120) x 4 singles; CoC 2 x 5 x 3 sets
     Negatives: CoC 2.5 (126) x 1, 1

I wasn't my strongest, but I got some solid closes in. I focused on making sure the closes were actual MMS and not just deep sets. The right felt better than left, especially on the volume sets. I haven't attempted the 300N in years, and I forgot how different the set was. It definitely takes some getting used to. It felt like a lot of wasted energy just getting into place. This was my first time using the Standard Tungsten Adjustable with the extended handle, and I really liked it once I got the set right. It's the first time I've used an extended handle. I plan on using it going forward. 

• Like 4

Workout 3/25/23:

Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4]x4, [1,2,3]x1 (i.e. 19 working sets) 1:30-2:00 rest b/n sets
     Behind the neck press: 40kg x10, 9 (+1 push press), 6 (+4 push press)
     80 min

• Like 3

Workout 3/26/23:
A. Squat: Warmup, 97.5kg x 5, 5, 8
B. Hub swings: 5kg x 10, 10; 7.5kg x 8 (all /hand)
A. Front squat: 65kg x 5 x 4 sets
B. Seated RGT rows: 15kg x10, 30kg x6, 35kg x6, 6, 6 (+6 28mm handle drop set) (all /hand)

The hub swings are something I have wanted to play around with. I just swing it like a KB swing (obviously not full ROM). This brings some dynamics to what would otherwise be an isometric and changes the angles that the various fingers are working in.  I can feel the tension moving throughout my hand during the arc. It's interesting. We'll see if it translates to any progress in my ability to activate these muscles on the static lift. 

• Like 2

Workout 3/29/23:

Dynamic Effort Grippers

Right: 
        1" GHP Block: GG4 (114) x 12 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: GHP6 (126) x 6 x 5 sets

Left: 
        1" GHP Block: CoC 2 x 12 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: GG4 (115) x 6 x 5 sets

60 min

Felt stronger than last week. I did a double on the left with the GHP5 (109), but it didn’t feel explosive/fast enough, so I stuck with the CoC2 for now. Maybe next week. The heavier doubles felt good on the right. As did the heavier click closes. Progress. 

These workouts will eventually include pinch, but I haven’t had time to plan what that will look like just yet. 

• Like 4

A couple of days worth to update here. I am currently in Florida on vacation, but I brought some grippers and an adjustable KB with me to keep active.

Workout 3/31/23:

Grippers

Right:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis Adjustable T-rex (140) x 2 attempts, BBSM (139+bumper 1 full rotation) x 3 singles; GG4 (115) x 5, 5, 6
     Negatives: Standard Tungsten Adjustable Extended (~145) x1, CoC 3 (146) x 1, 1

Left:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis Adjustable T-rex (~125) x 4 singles; GHP5 (109) x 5 x 3 sets
     Negatives: CoC 2.5 (134) x 1, 1, 1

I really thought I would be able to knock out the T-Rex at 140, but I think I was just shy on my attempts. I smashed the SM with the bumper though. My left felt really good. 125 is a PR MMS. Reps felt good with both hands too. I've got to get better at setting with the extended handle. I waste so much energy on the set for those negatives. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workout 4/1/23:

Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4]x5

No accessory work on this day because we had multiple events to attend and to finish packing for the beach. Gotta go for the full 5 rep ladder next time. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Workout 4/3/23 (BEACH):

Death by Kettlebell Cleans: 24kg x 14 minutes
KB Turkish Getups: 32kg x 10
Death by Kettlebell Swings (2 hands): 32kg x 6 minutes*

*These felt good, but the little one woke up from her nap while mom was at the pool, so I had to cut it short. Probably could've gone for quite a while on these. 

Workout 4/4/23 (BEACH):
Dynamic Effort Grippers

Right: 
        Click closes to overcrush: CoC 2.5 (134, filed) x 4, 4; GHP6 (126) x 6, 8, 8

Left: 
        1" GHP Block: GHP5 (109) x 3 doubles; CoC 2 (+bumper 1 full rotation) x 9 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: GG4 (115) x 5, 6, 6, 5, 6

I've decided that for this day, I'll move up in weight once I accumulate 2 dominate workouts on a particular gripper. Today makes two days on the 115 for my right hand. Next I'll try the T-rex at 120. I don't have the GHP5 in left hand just yet. I'll do two workouts with the CoC2 with the bumper and then see where I stand. The spread on the 134 makes it seem SO much harder for some reason. I barely squeaked out 4 clicks on it, then the GHP6 felt super easy. I may just add the bumper to the GHP6 for progression for the immediate future. 

Much better than the inside of my home gym:

IMG_2926.thumb.jpg.03a1c170850b15bb704b1c29ec099b32.jpg

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

A couple of days worth to update here. I am currently in Florida on vacation, but I brought some grippers and an adjustable KB with me to keep active.

Workout 3/31/23:

Grippers

Right:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis Adjustable T-rex (140) x 2 attempts, BBSM (139+bumper 1 full rotation) x 3 singles; GG4 (115) x 5, 5, 6
     Negatives: Standard Tungsten Adjustable Extended (~145) x1, CoC 3 (146) x 1, 1

Left:
     Warmup
     MMS: Silvis Adjustable T-rex (~125) x 4 singles; GHP5 (109) x 5 x 3 sets
     Negatives: CoC 2.5 (134) x 1, 1, 1

I really thought I would be able to knock out the T-Rex at 140, but I think I was just shy on my attempts. I smashed the SM with the bumper though. My left felt really good. 125 is a PR MMS. Reps felt good with both hands too. I've got to get better at setting with the extended handle. I waste so much energy on the set for those negatives. 

Workout 4/1/23:

Double kettlebell press: 34kg/hand x [1,2,3,4]x5

No accessory work on this day because we had multiple events to attend and to finish packing for the beach. Gotta go for the full 5 rep ladder next time. 

Workout 4/3/23 (BEACH):

Death by Kettlebell Cleans: 24kg x 14 minutes
KB Turkish Getups: 32kg x 10
Death by Kettlebell Swings (2 hands): 32kg x 6 minutes*

*These felt good, but the little one woke up from her nap while mom was at the pool, so I had to cut it short. Probably could've gone for quite a while on these. 

Workout 4/4/23 (BEACH):
Dynamic Effort Grippers

Right: 
        Click closes to overcrush: CoC 2.5 (134, filed) x 4, 4; GHP6 (126) x 6, 8, 8

Left: 
        1" GHP Block: GHP5 (109) x 3 doubles; CoC 2 (+bumper 1 full rotation) x 9 doubles
        Click closes to overcrush: GG4 (115) x 5, 6, 6, 5, 6

I've decided that for this day, I'll move up in weight once I accumulate 2 dominate workouts on a particular gripper. Today makes two days on the 115 for my right hand. Next I'll try the T-rex at 120. I don't have the GHP5 in left hand just yet. I'll do two workouts with the CoC2 with the bumper and then see where I stand. The spread on the 134 makes it seem SO much harder for some reason. I barely squeaked out 4 clicks on it, then the GHP6 felt super easy. I may just add the bumper to the GHP6 for progression for the immediate future. 

Much better than the inside of my home gym:

IMG_2926.thumb.jpg.03a1c170850b15bb704b1c29ec099b32.jpg

Nice man, i'm sure its well deserved. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

SUPPER COOL 

Fun in the sun weights and family.

Great dedication.

15 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice man, i'm sure its well deserved. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Sure feels that way ha. 

4 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

SUPPER COOL 

Fun in the sun weights and family.

Great dedication.

Told myself if I packed the car well enough with the girls’ stuff to allow extra space, I would fit in as much of my own stuff as possible. I was able to add my grippers, kettlebell, protein, pre-workout, and guitar. 

• Like 1

All the essentials for life on vacation.

26 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Told myself if I packed the car well enough with the girls’ stuff to allow extra space, I would fit in as much of my own stuff as possible. I was able to add my grippers, kettlebell, protein, pre-workout, and guitar. 

Nice! What kind of guitar?