Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

6 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You've really earned the title DoctorofCrush this past month.

Ha, about time after 8 years! I'm finally growing into it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work

Thanks, John!

Workout 7/12/2023:

Squat: 120kg/264.5lb x6

Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps): 157.5kg/347lb x 2 sets of 4

RGT:
55kg x 5/4 (left/right)
50 x 5, 5, 7/5 (left/right)
45 x 5, 5, 9

I KNEW Sunday was a fluke. I really struggled hitting 117.5kg x 5 (then I couldn't get more than 4 on subsequent sets), and today I feel pretty confident that I could have hit 120 x 7 (the plan called for 120 x 4-6).

I skipped working out last night to allow for some extra recovery. My forearms (especially the right) and my overall energy just weren't there. I'm glad I did because my arms felt much better today. So much so that I decided when going into my deadlifts that I would probably try to do my RGT work that I skipped yesterday. After watching @dubyagrip do some of his axle work atop plates, I decided to do the same because I have always felt that the ROM was awkwardly short. The slightly increased ROM feels way more natural. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Workout 7/12/2023:

Squat: 120kg/264.5lb x6

Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps): 157.5kg/347lb x 2 sets of 4

RGT:
55kg x 5/4 (left/right)
50 x 5, 5, 7/5 (left/right)
45 x 5, 5, 9

I KNEW Sunday was a fluke. I really struggled hitting 117.5kg x 5 (then I couldn't get more than 4 on subsequent sets), and today I feel pretty confident that I could have hit 120 x 7 (the plan called for 120 x 4-6).

I skipped working out last night to allow for some extra recovery. My forearms (especially the right) and my overall energy just weren't there. I'm glad I did because my arms felt much better today. So much so that I decided when going into my deadlifts that I would probably try to do my RGT work that I skipped yesterday. After watching @dubyagrip do some of his axle work atop plates, I decided to do the same because I have always felt that the ROM was awkwardly short. The slightly increased ROM feels way more natural. 

The deficit really helps me, hope it was helpful for you.

9 minutes ago, dubyagrip said:

The deficit really helps me, hope it was helpful for you.

I really think it did. I did better than last week, but it’ll nice to see how it does when I go into the workout fresh next week. 

Workout 7/14/2023:

Double KB Press: 36kg/hand [1, 2, 3, 4]x4, [1, 2, 3] x1 (19 working sets)

Workout 7/15/2023:

Really bad gripper workout here. Couldn't close more than 132 on R, and I'm not so sure that I hit 126 on L. More on this below.

Workout 7/16/2023:

Squat: 117.5kg x3, 120 x3, 122.5 x3
Deficit Deadlift (w/ oly shoes, no straps): 120 x 2 sets of 6
Wrist extensor rehab work

So I was wondering if last week's poor squatting day on Sunday was attributable to having my press day the day before. While this hasn't been much of an issue in the past, I wondered if the steadily increasing press volume was starting to tax my muscles and CNS to the point that it was affecting the squat day. Further, I am not the biggest fan of grippers on Friday night. I feel like I can't get as hyped up at night as I can during the middle of the day (with the help of some stimulant pre-workout, of course).  So I decided to play around with moving my pressing to Friday night and doing my gripping on Saturday. This week that didn't work out too well.  I went in to do my gripper workout and while I felt fine, I had no access to my top-end crush strength. Getting my the handles of my 132 Standard Iron to touch felt like my 144 Coc 3 from last week. I think it was just CNS fatigue. I am going to give it another week in this configuration to see how it goes. It may just be that there is no great place to put that amount of pressing volume during the week. Not sure. Could just be a one off. We'll see. 

There is something about squatting on Sundays that just sucks lately. I thought I would do pretty well today considering I did 120 x6 on Wednesday and felt I had a little in the tank. Not today. I couldn't have hit that 120 x6 again today, but at least I got through the working sets. It didn't help that I was having issue with my belt pinching/digging into my skin on random reps. The deficit deadlifts felt pretty good/light. I should be doing more. 

• Like 4

Haven't posted my two workouts until now because my first week on hemepath has me pretty busy!

Workout 7/18/2023:

A. RGT:
56.25kg x 2
52.5 x 3, 3, 4

B. Dips: +20kg x 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 4, 5, 4

This night I started to get a headache as I was wrapping up work and as a storm front was rolling in. I had hoped it would go away before I worked out, and when it didn't, I was hoping that I could just push through it.  Eventually, it got the better of me and the rebound pain I was having in my head following each working set was enough for me to stop. 

Workout 7/19/2023:

Squat: 122.5kg x3, 127.5kg/281lb x2
Deadlift (double overhand): 165kg x3, 170kg/375lb x2

Squats and deads felt pretty good. The top sets in both called for 1-2 reps, and I think that I could have hit 3 reps on both. Used straps on the deadlift top set. 127.5 is the most I've had on my back in a solid decade. 130kg coming up on Sunday. 

• Like 4

Workout 7/21/2023:
Double KB Press: 36kg/hand [1, 2, 3, 4]x5 (20 working sets)

Felt pretty solid, but that very last rep on the last set of 4 was a battle. I'll have to do a set of 5 for the first time next week. . .

Workout 7/22/2023:
Mediocre grip workout. Felt pretty good going into it, but I just didn't have that last bit of oomph for my top sets. I missed the CoC 3 (144) twice with the R, made the 300N (144) once and missed it once. Did a few doubles but then called it on the R. I did the full workout with the L, but couldn't hit previous rep numbers on my AMRAP sets. Ultimately, I think that hobbling along with my elbows the way they are is hindering my top end strength.  I am able to get them warm enough before my grip workouts and at least get through the workouts with manageable pain levels, but it's not ideal. I'm going to take the next two weeks (at least) and replace every dedicated grip workout (rolling handle on Tuesday, grippers on Saturday, and pinch on Sunday morning) and turn it into rehab and dedicated strengthening. This will include a lot of soft tissue work, mobility, light weight isolation, levering, and post-workout stretching. Maybe if I can get ahead of it, the stuff I am doing now will keep it at bay in the future. 

Workout 7/23/2023:

Squat: 130kg/287lb x2 
Deadlift (double overhand): 122.5 x4, 125 x4, 130 x2
Front Squat: 80 x2, 90 x2, 100 x2
Kettlebell swings (1-arm): 32kg x 4 sets of 10 (5/5); 3 sets of 20 (10/10)

I really wanted at least one more rep on squat. I went down for the third but had to bail on it when I got to the sticking point just above parallel. Not sure if it was purely physical or some mental stuff there too. Either way, that's the most weight I've squatted since I was in college. I think that the most I have ever squatted for a single was 132. Not 100% on that though I know it was above 290 and less than 300. I was kind of annoyed because my right calf started bothering after my last warmup (125). Not sure if that got in my head. 

I played around with front squats since the squat volume was so low today. Based on how 100x2 felt, I probably have ~110-115 in me as of right now. 

It's been a minute since I did some regular ole kettlebell swings, and they felt great. I plan on adding them in after workouts to see if I can trim off a few lbs I don't need. I'll definitely do them after these elbow rehab workouts so long as they don't aggravate anything. 

• Like 4

nice work , good try on the last rep, you will get it next time

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

nice work , good try on the last rep, you will get it next time

Thanks, John. Based on how it looked, I do wonder if a lot of it was mental. The previous rep wasn’t super grindy. 🤷‍♂️. The estimated 1RM for 130x2 is 134, which is the number I used for all of my percentages this cycle. I plan on bumping that to 136-7 for the next cycle and seeing how that goes. 

• Like 1

Workout 7/26/2023:

Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps): 175kg/ 386lb x2

Bar Unload: 175kg x 1 working set (😏 Totally counts towards the workout)

One-arm KB swings: 32kg x 5 sets of 20 (10/10)

Well even though I wanted to get 3, 175kg would have been a PR single, and I did it for a double! I wanted to get 3 because that would have put my projected 1RM comfortably above 400lb. 

With the low volume, I decided to add in KB swings. For these, I usually let my body self-regulate, and I pace between sets until my HR calms back down into the 120-125 bpm range before I start the next set.

• Like 6

nice deadlift

that's a cool looking gym you have.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

nice deadlift

that's a cool looking gym you have.

Thanks, John! That’s about half of the home gym setup I have now. The other small room is where the grippers and kettlebells live. I actually plan on filming a little gym tour sometime.
We plan on building a house sometime next year, and I’m already drawing up plans for the home gym setup. 

• Like 3

COOL , looking forward to your gym tour 

• Like 1

Workout 7/30/23:

Pause squat: 80kg x3, 90kg x3

Elbow Rehab Workout:
Back foam roll
Barbell forearm mashing
Forearm flossing

Banded external rotation: green x 10 sec x5

3 sets of:
A. Finger extensions: 3 rubber bands x20/side
B. Wrist curls: plate-loadable dumbbell + 2.5kg (~7kg) x15/side
C. Wrist extension: dumbbell (5.5 kg) x15/side

3 sets of:
A. Sledge supination/pronation: 8lb @ 1 hand-width from head x15/side
B. Curls: dumbbell + 2.5kg (~7kg) x12/side
C. EZ bar reverse curl: Bar (~15lb) x 20

5 min of stretching

Birthday workout!  Kept the squats brief for the de-load week.  Just wanted to get out there and get the blood flowing. I don't remember the last time I did pause squats. Felt really good. As for the elbow rehabbing, I focused on really light weight and high reps. The elbows definitely felt better today following this. I'll probably do it again today. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

... Birthday workout!  ...

Happy Birthday!

8 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

Happy Birthday!

Thanks! 32 years young. 

• Like 3

fantastic Birthday Workout

17 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Thanks! 32 years young. 

happy belated birthday

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

happy belated birthday

Thanks!

Workout 7/31/23:
Elbow Rehab Workout:

Back foam roll
Barbell forearm mashing
Forearm flossing

3 sets of:
A. Finger extensions: 3 rubber bands x30/side
B. Wrist curls: plate-loadable dumbbell + 2.5kg (~7kg) x18/side
C. Wrist extension: dumbbell (5.5 kg) x15, 15, 18/side

3 sets of:
A. Sledge supination/pronation: 8lb @ 1.5 hand-width from head x15/side
B. Curls: dumbbell + 2.5kg (~7kg) x15/side
C. EZ bar reverse curl: Bar (~15lb) x 20

5 min of stretching

• Like 1

Workout 8/6/2023:

AM:

Back foam roll
Barbell forearm mashing
Forearm flossing

3 sets of:
A. Finger extensions with elbow extension: 3 rubber bands x20/side
B. Wrist curls with slow eccentric and maximum finger extension: plate-loadable dumbbell + 2.5kg (~7kg) x15/side
C. Sledge supination/pronation: 8lb @ 2 hand-width from head x15/side
D. EZ bar reverse curl: bar x20, +2.5kg x15, 15

5 min stretching

PM:
Squat:
 110kg x 4 sets of 6
Deadlift (double overhand w/ straps): 145kg x 2 sets of 6

I know Bromley says that 6s are the enlightened lifter's 5s, but I really wish I had never been enlightened. 6s suck. I'd like to add in some accessory work (namely cable rows) to these workouts on the lower volume days, but I didn't have time today. 

For this mesocycle, I'm going to take focus away from pinch and rolling handle while I keep working on improving my elbows. That will involve the workout above on Sundays then some similar stuff on Tuesday with plenty of forearm and shoulder warmup before my other workouts. I'm hoping that grippers won't hurt them as long as I warm up, but if they do, I'll take them out too. 

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 5

Workout 8/8/23:

Standing Calf Raise: 20, ~10 sec, 15, ~10 sec, 15
A. Kettlebell Bench Press: 16kg x12, 24kg x 10, 10
B. Fat Gripz Hammer Curl: 13kg x10/side, 10, 10
A. Tempo Dips: BW x 5, 5, 5
B. Reverse Curl: ~9kg  x20, ~11.5kg x20, 20

I was a bit worried that I overdid the forearm/extensor work based on the burn during the workout, and I confirmed that today based on how my elbow feels. I'll back off a little next week to strengthen rather than strain. Also, the KB bench press LIT UP my flexors/golfer's elbow. I've got a pair of Nüobell 80s coming in the mail, and I can't wait. I know that using regular dumbbells will be very beneficial to my elbows. 

I've been watching a bit of Mike Israetel's stuff on YT, and his take on calf training piqued my interest. Basically, the reps focus on a long, slow eccentric followed by a deep, long stretch at the bottom with a pause then a regular concentric. After burning out on those, you rest long enough for the lactic acid to diminish before you go right back at it. Rinse and repeat. I'll add more sets as I go, but he suggested starting with 3. I'm glad I did because I'm already feeling the soreness the very next day. 

The tempo dips are 3 second eccentric, 1-2 second pause in the bottom, explosive concentric. 

Workout 8/9/23:

Squat: 95kg x 4 sets of 8
Deadlift (double overhand no straps): 125kg x8
Seated cable row: 40kg x10, 50kg x10, 12

Squats didn't feel heavy, but the lactic acid did build towards the final rep of those sets. Between still being sore from previous squatting/calf raises and being fatigued from today's squatting, the deadlifts turned into SLDLs basically because I didn't want to flex my knees or ankles. The weight was light enough that I could keep my upper back tight and crank out the reps. 

I was testing the waters with the seated cable rows. Feels like the 50-65kg range will feel good for the hypertrophy rep ranges. Nice slow reps with a slight pause at extension. 

• Like 3

Quick update:

Ok, so I don't usually post on here outside of workout log and responses to others, but I wanted to post a word of caution. If you are going to do calf raises as I described them above, be prepared for soreness that is out of this world.  I thought that I was taking it light by only doing bodyweight and only doing three sets, but I was sorely (pun intended) mistaken.  I have not routinely trained my calves over the years, but it's not like I have never trained them.  I was doing 5 sets of 50 regular BW calf raises earlier this year. This is different though...  

I am not trying to be hyperbolic when I say that I have NEVER been as sore from any exercise as I was following those calf raises. DOMS started to set in around 11am yesterday, and it got to where if I sat down for more than a minute or so I was not able to fully stand up afterwards.  It was a pain deep in the belly of my calf that peaked when I dorsiflexed my ankle with my knee extended. The pain was making me hot and clammy each time I would attempt to stand up straight and/or stretch them. I actually left work early because of it and immediately got in a hot bath when I got home. I also did something that I haven't done in over a decade and took some medicine (acetaminophen) for the soreness. I opted to not sit down for the rest of the night and actually took another hot bath before I went to sleep. Thankfully, they were way less sore this morning, and I was actually able to stretch a little bit. 

At any rate, I was super surprised that 3 sets of body weight calf raises could do this to me, regardless of how they are performed. I definitely won't be performing those twice a week like I originally planned.  

• Like 2