Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

I haven't followed your log in a while Eric and I am digesting tons of stuff right now lol...sick lifts, can't say otherwise. Very strong squats. Hope to get there one day. Other lifts the same btw heh. I feel puny.

Edited by Geralt

Thanks a lot, Geralt! I know now more than ever the biggest determinant in doing it is simply doing it. I decided I wanted to get strong again like I was in my twenties, and have really surprised myself. In another month or two my squat could be as strong as it's ever been, even at age 47. I think training gets made way too complicated sometimes. Anyways, hate to preach, so thanks again!

Euro Pinch (first time in like fifty years)

202.7x4x1 (missed a fifth single). Not bad, considering I was sweating buckets.

• Like 1

Bench Press

Decided to play around with the technique change I made Saturday.

232x6

Thanks a lot, Geralt! I know now more than ever the biggest determinant in doing it is simply doing it. I decided I wanted to get strong again like I was in my twenties, and have really surprised myself. In another month or two my squat could be as strong as it's ever been, even at age 47. I think training gets made way too complicated sometimes. Anyways, hate to preach, so thanks again!

This is very true Eric, you are not preaching at all.

How much time you take between heavy squats in general when ramping up these weights? I read your log last pages, seems like 7 days? Good stuff, again.

Those squats looked excellent!

Thanks for the squat video Eric. I watched it several times before squatting today and was able to push through a plateu by changing my form a bit towards yours

This is very true Eric, you are not preaching at all.

How much time you take between heavy squats in general when ramping up these weights? I read your log last pages, seems like 7 days? Good stuff, again.

Yes, squats and benches every Saturday (dropped the twice a week bench for the most part). Deadlifts Wednesday. I was squatting twice a week for a while recently, but I always opt for less when less yields the same gains. I think I feel a bit more recovered going only weekly, as well. Some would say your body will adapt, which is often the case, but I don't want to push it.

Those squats looked excellent!

Thank you, buddy!

Thanks for the squat video Eric. I watched it several times before squatting today and was able to push through a plateu by changing my form a bit towards yours

Wow! That's actually very cool. We are built similarly-leggy. At least I seem to remember you having long legs, in addition to being very tall. What change did you make in your form?

Yeah, 6'5" and long legs.

I positioned the bar about an inch lower, pointed my toes a hair outwards, they were pointing straight forward, and concentrated on starting the squat with my hips dropping first then my knees

I've been struggling this summer with my squats since I am also running every night and dropping a lot of weight

Here's some good info on how to get that "light feeling" bar when you squat- it's in relation to how you hold your hands to get the best contraction of the upper back AND the lats according to Duffin. I know exactly what you mean though, a "light" feeling bar will usually result in a PR lift or at least a good one!

• Like 1

I've never tried this before, and doubt I ever wanted to!

Deadlift

400x20

And that was my entire workout. Lol.

• Like 1

I've never tried this before, and doubt I ever wanted to!

Deadlift

400x20

And that was my entire workout. Lol.

:mosher :mosher :mosher :mosher :mosher

That was epic!

• Like 1

Oh sweet jesus and you event reset each rep? High rep deadlifts are one of the few lifts that I dread... many props :bow

That's awesome! Especially maintaining form. When I get pooped they start turning into a stiff legged pull because it's too tiring to get into position. Very good stuff! Reminds me of John Beatty's deadlift routines lol!

• Like 1

Oh sweet jesus and you event reset each rep? High rep deadlifts are one of the few lifts that I dread... many props :bow

Yeah, I'm in the habit of treating each rep like a single. And the high rep deadlifts are a totally different animal than high rep wrist curls. Thanks, Matt!

That's awesome! Especially maintaining form. When I get pooped they start turning into a stiff legged pull because it's too tiring to get into position. Very good stuff! Reminds me of John Beatty's deadlift routines lol!

Thanks, Jason! It may not have been apparent in the vid, but it felt like my form was "deteriorating" a bit towards the end. But I think it's inevitable, to a certain extent, when you're going all-out.

Great job Eric. After watching this yesterday I though about trying it, but decided against it and did 1161 reps of chest and back instead. Not sure if I will ever try this.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rick.

Good lord! How long did that marathon workout take? Details?

• Like 1

It took a little bit of time. Few hours but I was interrupted a few times. Did incline machine bench 20 reps down to 1 and back up to 20, resting the same amount of breaths as reps. Then chest supported rows for the same rep scheme. Next was crossovers for 20,17,15,13,11,9,7,5,3,1 and back up then a burn out of 50 straight reps. Finally reverse grip pulldowns for the same without the 50 rep burnout as I was smoked. Lil sore today!

• Like 1

It took a little bit of time. Few hours but I was interrupted a few times. Did incline machine bench 20 reps down to 1 and back up to 20, resting the same amount of breaths as reps. Then chest supported rows for the same rep scheme. Next was crossovers for 20,17,15,13,11,9,7,5,3,1 and back up then a burn out of 50 straight reps. Finally reverse grip pulldowns for the same without the 50 rep burnout as I was smoked. Lil sore today!

Wow. Any idea what your heart rate hits doing something like that?

• Like 1

Since it was benching and CSR I would guess barely an increase. Plus with all the heart meds I am on that blunt my heart rate response I never go much over 85 bpm anymore.

• Like 1

Squat

375x8 (back not recovered from the 20 rep deads-got a little strain in my right hip area doing this set)

320x10 (no belt)

Bench

249x5

228x8

Modified my grip yet again. A slight bit wider with elbows a little more flared, but not as much as pre-injury.

Curls

111x12

Squat

375x8 (back not recovered from the 20 rep deads-got a little strain in my right hip area doing this set)

320x10 (no belt)

Bench

249x5

228x8

Modified my grip yet again. A slight bit wider with elbows a little more flared, but not as much as pre-injury.

Curls

111x12

Those are some really good squat sets!

• Like 1

Thanks, Jason. I felt good warming up, but half way through the set with 375 it became obvious I should have skipped this week. But I kept going. Lol.

Thanks, Jason. I felt good warming up, but half way through the set with 375 it became obvious I should have skipped this week. But I kept going. Lol.

Bah! You've got all week to heal up now :)

• Like 1

Euro Pinch

207.7 x2x1

202.2 x1

202.2 X1 (5 second hold at lockout)

• Like 2

Deadlift

462x6 (no belt)

Snatch Grip Deadlift

356x10 (no belt)

Shrugs

476x15

Rows

271x2x5

We'll call today active recovery, not because the weights were light and easy, but because I'm still not recovered from that set of 20. Good lord.

• Like 2