Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

Wojo, before invoking his name, remember...

Crom is a stern and unforgiving god that answers no prayers.

He dispensed the strength in your sword arm and the fire in your heart. These are the ONLY boons he ever grants

You already have everything you need.

However...since Arnold clips are cool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nUUD8SM0Y

• Like 1

Good Luck at the Doctor's appointment dude. Hope he gives you the ok to get back in action.

Good Luck at the Doctor's appointment dude. Hope he gives you the ok to get back in action.

Thanks "Crush".....lol.....I had my doctor's appointment yesterday and he gave me permission to stop physical therapy and to return to my normal barbell training....taking it slowly and using common sense. He wants me to proceed carefully specifically with curls, but I think I have the OK to do most everything else.

This is not an OK to return to "unrestricted exercise"....apparently that doesn't happen until 6 months. I'm guessing that means no real max effort lifting or real dynamic exercises like heavy cleans....or if I were in sports, throwing a fast ball or something like that.

Nevertheless, I can start barbell benching and pressing again! I had briefly started anyway, but then stopped for a couple weeks after the PT director made me second guess myself. I'm going to take it slow, but I'm so happy to be back in the game!

• Like 2

Just a quick update....I've been focused on my new carb nite diet while also getting back into my normal barbell training trying to get my strength back....so grip training has fallen to the bottom of my priority list at the moment. I have an upper body workout later today and I'll do some grip tomorrow.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I updated my log on here because grip training has taken a back seat while I focus on my new diet and my return to normal barbell training. However, it's time to start ramping up my grip training again...but with a simpler approach than what I've done in the past.

On Mondays I'll be doing all my regular barbell deadlifts double overhand, which I understand has significant carryover to the axle. I'll be doing heavy gripper closes on this day as well in between my sets of deadlifts and assistance work. On Thursdays I'll be warming up with dynamic gripper closes, then move on to 2HP mostly for singles and finish with something else for fun......and that will be it for now with grip training.

I'll be focusing on the big three events essentially.....grippers, 2HP and axle. I'm taking a cue from my normal training to focus primarily on the main lifts as they are much more important than all the assistance work...much more important. No more three dedicated grip workouts per week and all the endless sets of all the other crap that I used to do because I honestly don't think it helped much if at all. I think I was going in too many directions at once and therefore I didn't move in any particular direction very quickly or consistently.

There are so many grip toys available (and I own a lot of them) that it's tempting to try and incorporate all of them into your training. I've been down that road and it just works against you. It's like trying to incorporate squats, deadlifts, front squats, hack squats, leg presses, leg extensions, leg curls, glute ham raises, standing calf raises, seated calf raises, etc. all into your leg training every week....it's retarded. Also, my experience now tells me that max efforts are the way to go with grip training and that repetition work really doesn't help much. Neither overall physical size, forearm size or maximum strength in the major barbell lifts seem to directly correlate with success in the grip world. To some extent perhaps, but not directly. Perhaps all of you are aware of all this already, but the light bulb just recently went off in my head.

As far as my regular training is concerned, I've been squatting consistently with the safety squat bar since I tore my bicep, so my squat is the strongest it's been in a long time. I'm not sure when I'm going to return to back squatting because SSB squats allow you to squat with no pain in your shoulders, wrists or elbows and that's really nice. My bench is already stronger on a multi-rep max basis than prior to my bicep tear, albeit with lighter weight with much higher reps. My standing press is still fairly shy of my best, but greatly improving every week. I've been deadlifting again for the past six weeks while slowly moving up and getting my right arm re-acclimated to the movement (as well as to get my confidence back) and tonight I did 235 for 5x10....each rep was explosive and totally without pain...actually I feel much more comfortable on deadlifts than my pressing or back movements....so I'll be moving up 20lbs per week on this for 5x10.

As far as my new diet.....I'm in love. I've been following Carb Nite for the past six weeks now and although my scale weight is only down slightly, I've lost a noticable amount of bodyfat and my strength continues to increase. I'm extremely happy to be making slow and steady progress....this diet has been like finding the holy grail for me.

Now that I'm back to grip...I'll be posting more often and I have some pretty big goals for myself this year.

• Like 3

I've been through several grip raining schedule variations since I started (about 17 months ago) and this is what I've decided on now going forward (until I change it again of course...lol):

Monday: 3/5/1 Deadlift and assistance work - TSGrippers for heavy closes in between sets

Tuesday: REST

Wednesday: 3/5/1 Press and assistance work

Thursday: TSG Speed closes, 2HP, Bending, assistance work

Friday: 3/5/1 Squat and assistance work

Saturday: 3/5/1 Bench and assistance work

Sunday: REST

Tonight was my first grip workout on this schedule and it looked like this:

TSG Speed Closes: CoC#2 8x1

2HP: Worked up to an easy 165, then dropped to 145x1,1,1,2

DO Bending: 4 yellow nails, 1 blue, 1 Grade 5 bolt

Standing behind the back wrist curls 95x3x20

I just recently figured out that it was my hand position on the nail that was not allowing me to double overhand bend. I was not taking a proper pistol grip and so all this time I had wrongly assumed it was a flexibility issue with my upper body (thank you Nate). I figured it out thanks to Jedd's e-book and I worked up to a relatively easy Grade 5 bolt tonight, which equals my best reverse bend. Now I can set my sights on a Grade 8, but I'm planning on progressing deliberately and carefully...no need to rush things.

• Like 2

2HP: Worked up to an easy 165, then dropped to 145x1,1,1,2

I just recently figured out that it was my hand position on the nail that was not allowing me to double overhand bend. I was not taking a proper pistol grip and so all this time I had wrongly assumed it was a flexibility issue with my upper body (thank you Nate). I figured it out thanks to Jedd's e-book and I worked up to a relatively easy Grade 5 bolt tonight, which equals my best reverse bend. Now I can set my sights on a Grade 8, but I'm planning on progressing deliberately and carefully...no need to rush things.

"easy 165"

Crap...I need to either pull up my 2HP or turn in my man card. :cry

I'm so pleased you figured it out(DO).

Watch those G8's man...they are really springy (the exact ones you have).

With your bicep in recovery, I'd almost rather see you exerting on a Red...when they move they stay moved.

Well...you know...not "warm-up" easy....just very solid, like I may have had another 20lbs in me at most.

I PM'd you about my bending...

• Like 1

Deadlifts tonight...light but quick keeping on eye on my right bicep...255x10(5)....slowly working up every week and concentrating on my form...keeping my head neutral, rocking back on my heels...

Standing Ab Pulldowns - 100lbsx12(5)

TSG in between sets up to multiple singles with CoC#2.5 and BBGM each hand...still taking a while for my right hand to get my strength back.

I wasn't going to bend tonight, but I can't keep it off the brain since I finally "figured out" how to DO bend - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 5" blue (all in IM singles) - The 5" blue felt pretty close to a 6" blue although I think the crush down was a bit harder....nevertheless, it was solid....but I stopped there anyway because I plan to bend again on Thursday.

• Like 1

Deadlifts tonight...light but quick keeping on eye on my right bicep...255x10(5)....slowly working up every week and concentrating on my form...keeping my head neutral, rocking back on my heels...

Standing Ab Pulldowns - 100lbsx12(5)

TSG in between sets up to multiple singles with CoC#2.5 and BBGM each hand...still taking a while for my right hand to get my strength back.

I wasn't going to bend tonight, but I can't keep it off the brain since I finally "figured out" how to DO bend - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 5" blue (all in IM singles) - The 5" blue felt pretty close to a 6" blue although I think the crush down was a bit harder....nevertheless, it was solid....but I stopped there anyway because I plan to bend again on Thursday.

I'm with you man...it's killing me not to bend tonight. Great to see this progress!

Tonight's grip workout:

TSG CCS Speed Closes: CoC #1 for 6x3

(since my ultimate goal is to cert on the #3, I'm going to focus on using a CCS on most if not all of my gripper work for a while)

2HP: Worked up to 175x1, then dropped to 150x6x1 (all sets at 48mm)

(felt heavy tonight)

DO Bending: 1 yellow, 1 blue, 8 yellows, 1 blue, 1 4.5" blue (all in IM singles)

I bent earlier in the week on Monday during my deadlift workout. I wasn't planning on it, but I felt the urge and things felt good. Even though tonight was my planned bending session, I honestly didn't feel that great and it took me a while to warm-up. My first yellow nail resulted in a bunch of crackles and pops from my chest and shoulders and my shoulders and triceps were pretty sore, so I pulled the plug on my planned Grade 8 attempt and decided to do some volume instead. Once I warmed up I figured I'd give the 4.5" blue a shot and it went solidly. Such a short piece of steel just feels different...I would say the crush was the most challenging part. I'm not going to be trying anything shorter, I'm just going to move up to bigger steel. Mike Sharkey advised me to buy some "M" and "N" bars, which I understand is some type of drill rod so I have to look into that in order to bridge the gap to the red nail.

Since I bench on Saturdays and press on Wednesdays, it makes more sense for me to bend on Mondays instead of Thursdays. Mondays fall right in the middle of my two upper body days and bending after deadlifts will ensure that my whole body is completely warmed up and ready to go.

http://youtu.be/KvTy9IDc7_E

• Like 2

looks good. nothing is easy when its that short.

Thanks Mike. I ordered a bunch of M bars today, so thanks again for pointing me in that direction!

Deadlifts 275x10(5) - all done double overhand, explosive and arm feels fine

Standing Ab Pulldowns 5x12

TSG - Did my own KTA inspired workout tonight alternating negatives and overcrushes - all reps done in between sets of deadlifts and abs

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 Grade 8 Bolt in IM Doubles - You can see by the video that the wraps were entirely too loose and that may have even made this more difficult than bending the damn thing in singles.....regardless, it's a PR and I'm making progress. My left forearm (good arm) started cramping and since the bend took a while, I called it a night.

http://youtu.be/e0cyMUg9eFA

• Like 2

Tonight:

5/3/1 SSB Squats - required reps only as I've been pushing everything hard and feeling a bit beat up

DO Bending - It's not my plan to bend on Friday nights, but I wanted to sneak in another session before vacation tomorrow. I warmed up with one yellow and one blue and then went right for a red nail in single IM pads....I figured what the hell, I need to stop tap dancing around the issue and find out exactly where I stand. I managed to wobble it to 10 degrees badly off-center with two decent hits. This was the most force I've ever had to generate in this particular position and I didn't like the way my right elbow was feeling (not my bicep), so I stopped right there. To be honest, it was much tougher than I expected and my index fingers were killing me afterwards. I suppose it's possible that I could've eventually finished it off had I been up for a marathon attempt...who knows. Considering this was only my 6th bending session in the past 2-1/2 weeks since I "figured out" how to DO bend....I have to be happy with where I'm at in the process of working towards a red nail cert.

• Like 1

Considering this was only my 6th bending session in the past 2-1/2 weeks since I "figured out" how to DO bend....I have to be happy with where I'm at in the process of working towards a red nail cert.

This. :rock

Not gonna bother bringing up the whole bicep surgery thing.

It's not your strength that's keeping you from finishing it...when you "get it", they are gonna fall like dominoes.

BTW I totally don't use my index on the kink...I can't figure out how to incorporate it properly.

I'm pretty much in the Rickicki (DO) kink category. Check it out...try a few this way...might help.

http://youtu.be/yTU8M3MNj-8

What Nate said. The pain should be had on the middle finger knuckle. This is the desired location of said pain.

• Like 1

This is the desired location of said pain.

Thanks Daniel...that made me chuckle :)

Next time I bend, I'm going to work on the technique shown in the video. I literally feel no pressure on my middle fingers when I bend...the pressure/pain is entirely on my index fingers. Also, the bar ends are more into the meaty base of his thumbs and when I do it, it's more forward like into the middle of my webbing. Anyway....thanks for the video...I'm sure it's going to help!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Deadlifts 295x10(5), 315x1, 365x1 - all double overhand - right arm continues to feel fine

Standing Ab Pulldowns 5x12

TSG - KTA inspired workout alternating negatives and overcrushes - all reps done in between sets of deadlifts and abs

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 8 blues - I tweaked something in my right elbow on my red attempt last week before vacation and I was worried all week that it was gonna be an issue, but thankfully I seem to be fine. Nevertheless, I just worked on some volume tonight to feel things out....technically this is the most volume I've ever done in one workout....sad perhaps, but true. I'm using this as a starting point and will build on this every week. I'm also trying to feel the nail bend over my middle fingers and not my index fingers. I'm still working on what feels best technique-wise for me. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a really strong position and sometimes I feel a bit awkward.

My last training block lasted from just after Thanksgiving until just over a week ago when my wife and I left for vacation. I kicked ass and made lots of progress. I’ve gotten stronger, my right arm has gotten healthier and I lost some bodyfat with the Carb Nite diet.

My wife and I just returned from Puerto Vallarta where I took a break from my training and diet and got some much needed rest and relaxation. Now that I’m back, it’s time to focus on my next 10 week block of training, which will take me to my 41st Birthday at the end of April. I plan on being in the best shape of my life by then….lean and strong.

I start my 10-day Carb Nite prep phase tomorrow, so I came straight home from work to cook all my meals for the next 3 days. I then went into my garage, cut the heads off all my remaining Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts and cut down some “M” drill rod into 7” lengths.....like a hunter sharpening his spears for the kill.

I’m extremely focused and hungry going into this next phase of training. Actually, I’d say I’m flat out pissed off (in a good way).

For whatever reason, I’m feeling a bit reflective tonight and I feel blessed…..blessed that I’m healthy, blessed that I have my modest little training area in my garage that is truly my sanctuary and blessed to be able to share this passion with like-minded people on boards like this.

Training to me is like a religious experience, it is the time when I am most present.

• Like 2

Trying to set up a training session with Brain in the morning on 2/16 if you're interested. Not set in stone but that is what we are shooting for. We can bend also since we are all chasing the red. Just throwing is out there.