Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

Gentle! We need you to show in January man! Remember we old fogies need a few extra weeks of healing before flipping cars again. :)

Had a great upper body session tonight:

Seated Dumbbell Presses (left arm only) 5x15 "supersetted" w/side raises (right arm) 5x20

Single Arm Pulldowns 3x15

SSB Shrugs 3x20

Tricep Rope Pushdowns - Light weight for multiple sets of really high reps each arm - I'm only able to work my right arm through a limited range of motion, but every little bit helps! It's been a while since I've had any sort of tricep pump.

Dumbbells Curls (left arm only) - 1 set for as many as possible

Afterwards, I walked the hill near my house and felt awesome....I already feel my wind coming back.

The only bodyparts I haven't found substitute exercises for are my right pec and my right lat. I suppose I could try some light dumbbell pullovers for my lat and maybe some type of light cable press for my pec....I'll play around with those ideas next workout.

I've been doing tons of movement of my right arm within the allowable range of motion to constantly flush blood through the area whether it's curling my arm or opening and closing my hand or wrist flexion/extension....this was Brent Barbe's suggestion and I've been doing it religiously since he recommended it.

Movement is a healer....stillness is death.

• Like 2

I'm trying something with my grip training that I've never really tried before....more volume. I'm going to be doing 5x10 with the rolling thunder and 5x10 with the hub and increasing the weight every week. On Sunday, I did 5x10 rolling thunder left handed with 100lbs (plates only), which is roughly 55% of my 1RM with that arm. I did the same today left handed with the hub, 25lbs (plates only) for 5x10. I'm liking it because you can actually feel the muscles working. I think I got caught up in always trying to max that I only rarely did any volume with these exercises. I think I'm going to see some nice results by playing with this idea for a while.

I think I'm going to try something similar with grippers too.....maybe CCS closes for volume since you're moving through a greater range of motion and alternate workouts with MMS closes for singles and doubles.

I ordered my steel plates today from Knowlton Steel along with a pair of York spinlock collars from EliteFTS for my 2HP. The rubber is already sitting in my garage waiting to be cut once the plates arrive. Once assembled, I'll use it for single hand pinch training for now and will apply the same volume approach.

• Like 1

You're gonna do well on 2HP with your deadlift strength.

Yeah us grip guys get caught up easily in 1rm. We need to back it down on occasion to build the base strengths back up. Looks like you're getting work done as much as you can. I doubt the arm will take very long to play catch up once you can start adding weight to the resistance. You'll be a strong, competitive grip guy in the near future.

You'll be a strong, competitive grip guy in the near future.

Thanks bud! That means a lot coming coming from you and all you've accomplished so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that intro. There's gonna be some sick lifts following that music in the future. :rock

I love that intro. There's gonna be some sick lifts following that music in the future. :rock

Oh boy...I really set myself up didn't I? Now I have to live up to the hype...lol....

In addition to the ghetto inch, I just made an adjustable Inch trainer handle with a bunch of stuff I had laying around the garage.....a length of 1-1/2" I.D. pipe, a 4" long 2" I.D. pipe and some collars and pony clamps. The handle and clamps weighs about 8lbs and the plates stay pretty tight when loaded.

So this is what I did tonight with the adjustable Inch handle...all straddle lifts with a nuetral grip:

58x2

78x2

98x2

118x2

128x1

128x1

128x1

108x5

The first 128 seemed easy, but I guess I just don't have any endurance with this exercise because the 2nd rep rotated right out of my hand. I followed this up with a bunch of leverages, wrist curls and reverse wrist curls. Everything was done left handed only except for the reverse wrsit curls were done with an empty E-Z curl bar for really high reps.

I can't lie...I'm a little disappointed that I was only able to work up to 128lbs because that's a whopping 44lbs away from the weight of an Inch replica....but I've never trained for this before and you have to start somewhere.

• Like 2

Killed my pinch today...

1HP on 2HP device (LH only): 70x6,6,6,6,12 - feeling good so I worked up - 75x1, 80x1, 85x1, 90x1, 95xoff the ground, no full stand

IronMind Hub (LH only): 32.5(plates only) x10,10,10,10,12

Pony Clamp (each hand): 5x15

I was really happy with my single hand pinch. I failed at 80lbs a week ago at Chez's with his 2HP device, but his is slicker and the plates are sharper. My set-up is newer, but seems to be "seasoned" more. I don't know why, but my plates seems to take chalk well.

I'm looking forward to working thick bar again on Tuesday!

• Like 2

1HP on 2HP device (LH only): 70x6,6,6,6,12 - feeling good so I worked up - 75x1, 80x1, 85x1, 90x1, 95xoff the ground, no full stand

Heck yeah John! :rock

90lb 1 HP? Dam, that is a lot on any setup. Good stuff dude. very strong.

Thanks guys :) You'll have to come over and try my set-up. I have it set at 54mm...one plate really takes chalk well and the other plate not as much. I'll take some video next workout.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly about 190 on a trainer is what most people need to lift the inch. of course, it depends on some other factors but, that's a ballpark.

looking good though. the lifts are controlled. and left handed.

Killed my pinch today...

IronMind Hub (LH only): 32.5(plates only) x10,10,10,10,12

Pony Clamp (each hand): 5x15

I was really happy with my single hand pinch. I failed at 80lbs a week ago at Chez's with his 2HP device, but his is slicker and the plates are sharper. My set-up is newer, but seems to be "seasoned" more. I don't know why, but my plates seems to take chalk well.

I'm looking forward to working thick bar again on Tuesday!

I'm a fraud and fake and a weak-ass p*ssy....at least that's how I feel right now. I weighed my 2HP set-up tonight because I picked it up to move it out of my way and it just felt too easy......the goddamn thing is only 57 lbs....I don't know how or why I had it in my mind and in my notes that it weighed 70 lbs!!

So I must edit my previous workout to read:

1HP on 2HP device (LH only): 57x6,6,6,6,12 - feeling good so I worked up - 62x1, 67x1, 72x1, 77x1, 82xoff the ground, no full stand

That's a little blow to the ego...

If I remember correctly about 190 on a trainer is what most people need to lift the inch. of course, it depends on some other factors but, that's a ballpark.

looking good though. the lifts are controlled. and left handed.

Thanks Brent! Now I know what I have to shoot for.

Nice work with the Inch trainer.

Thanks!

I wouldn't feel too bad about getting the weight wrong. I have mine weighed and recorded on a dry erase board otherwise I forget.

• Like 1

Pinch workout this afternoon and felt like I redeemed myself from last week with an 84lb single hand pinch. (All lifts done left handed only)

Single hand pinch on 2HP Device: 57x5, 62x1, 67x1, 72x1, 77x1, 81.8x1, 84x1, 62x5,5,5,5,8

IronMind Hub (counting plates only): 35x1, 45x1, 50xnogo, 35x8 (I really thought I’d be at or above 50lbs plus today, but maybe I was just shot from 1HP)

Pony Clamp Pinches: 5x15 each hand

http://youtu.be/ZwhUsPpYT5A

• Like 3

take more time placing your hand for the pinch. good vs bad placement can make a lot of difference.

take more time placing your hand for the pinch. good vs bad placement can make a lot of difference.

Thanks for the advice Brent......I noticed especially on my first failed attempt at 84lbs that I just kinda gripped and ripped it like I was being timed or something...lol...I'm gonna work on that.

Posting from my phone cause I'm without power. Thickbar today, but not quite as strong as last workout.

Inch trainer left handed up to 138x1, 118x5.

A. Axle holds for time up to 93lbs x 60 seconds (did these for the benefit of my right arm)

Supinations/pronations - 5x15each hand

Dumbbell wrist curls - 5x15 each hand

Barbell reverse wrist curls - 3x20

Dumbbell curls (RH only) - 10lbx15(3) - (most yet while rehabbing)