Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

watched the vid at work. if it wasn't for that I'd be screaming at the monitor. hell yes dude!! great job!

BTW, the NY guys are killing it!

Awesome job John!

Thanks Jason!

I remember when you were up the air about the surgery because you were too old and would lose too much strength to come back. very well done.

lol....thanks Brent!

watched the vid at work. if it wasn't for that I'd be screaming at the monitor. hell yes dude!! great job!

BTW, the NY guys are killing it!

Thanks Daniel!

DO Deadlifts w/no belt - 225x5, 315x3, 365x1, 405x1, 425x1,1,1,1,1 - right arm feeling fine

Standing Ab Pulldowns 5x15

TSG CCS Speed Closes - CoC#1 6x3

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 Grade 5 bolt, 1 M bar in IM 1-2/3 (PR), 1 red in IM 1-2/3 (PR), 1 red in IM 1-1/3 (PR), 1 red in IM singles (PR)

I had a very wierd mental spell over the weekend after Saturday's workout where I was beating the hell out of myself for whatever reason and could not get my head clear...I mean it was really intense and I haven't experienced that type of self-beating in a loooooong time. Anyhoo, I really needed this workout to go well and bending my first red nail meant a lot tonight.

When I first started training grip about 1-1/2 years ago.....closing the #3 gripper and bending the red nail seemed MILES away and now I've done both...even with a significant hiatus with my torn bicep. If you happen to read this post and you're struggling to get there and feeling that your goals are still miles away....KEEP GOING....you WILL get there!!

Thanks to everybody on the board for their feedback and support.....but especially Chez for reaching out to me way back when and introducing me to bending and Nate for his coaching and inspiration.

http://youtu.be/Agm4AtoVcrI

SO AWESOME BROTHERRRRRR.

2HP: 55x1, 80x1, 105x1, 130x1, 150x1, 165x1, 180xmiss, miss, 172.5x1,1,1,1,1,miss

Vulcan V2 (black spring) MMS closes (done in between sets of 2HP): L3x1ea,L5x1ea,L7x1ea,L9x1ea,L11x1ea,L13x1ea,L14x1ea,L15-RHxvery close,LHxnope,RHxvery close again,LHxcloser,L12-RHx3,LHx5

Inch Trainer Lifts: 129lbs for 8 single lifts each hand (2lbs heavier than last week)

Plate Curls: 10x8ea, 15x5ea, 20x5ea, 25-RHx2,LHx5 (first time doing plate curls - wow I suck at these - must work on this!)

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 135x20,20,20

Reverse Wrist Curls w/E-Z Curl Bar: 15lbsx20, 25lbsx20,20

Tonight:

DO Deadlifts Deload - 225x5(3)

TSG CCS Speed Closes - CoC#1.5 9x2

Two 35's Pinch x one easy lift each hand - I haven't done any plate pinches in a long time and these were cake...so I guess the 2HP work is helping.

Two 45's Pinch x got the tiniest bit of air RH for the first time! This was a pipe dream when I started training grip, but now I can see this possibly happening later this year. The plates are not as forgiving as my 2HP, so I tore open the thumb webbing on both hands on my first attempts. I'm gonna have to hit these plates with a grinder before I attempt this again.

Today was a "deload" both for my deadlift so my lower back can recover a bit more and also for my upper body (and wrists/elbows) by intentionally skipping any bending this week. I made a lot of bending progress in a short period of time and I just want to play it smart and let my body get some added rest. All in all I felt awesome tonight. The workout was fun...I felt healthy and energized afterwards and the workout left me wanting to do a whole lot more than I did.....just the way a deload should be.

• Like 2

Pinching 45's would be sick. You thinking about coming to Nationals? I'm sure you could get the qualifying lifts now that your arm isn't holding you back in training.

Pinching 45's would be sick. You thinking about coming to Nationals? I'm sure you could get the qualifying lifts now that your arm isn't holding you back in training.

Yeah man...pinching two 45's is definitely a long term goal I would love to get sooner than later. Long story short about Nationals, there's several family events happening that weekend and I'm leaving for vacation the Monday following the weekend....so I guess the answer is I don't know yet. I would love to go and I have the confidence I'll be able to qualify in time....but I still have to figure it out. I'm willing to suck it up and do what you've done in the past....drive all the way up the day before and then drive back right after. I'll know more within the next couple weeks or so.

I'm guessing you're definitely going, right? Are you flying or driving? Are you going solo or going with your girl?

Right now me and Nate were planning on driving there together the Friday before and leaving Sunday after the competition. Brian would come also if he can get one more qualifying lift on video by then.

Tonight:

DO Deadlifts Deload - 225x5(3)

TSG CCS Speed Closes - CoC#1.5 9x2

Two 35's Pinch x one easy lift each hand - I haven't done any plate pinches in a long time and these were cake...so I guess the 2HP work is helping.

Two 45's Pinch x got the tiniest bit of air RH for the first time! This was a pipe dream when I started training grip, but now I can see this possibly happening later this year. The plates are not as forgiving as my 2HP, so I tore open the thumb webbing on both hands on my first attempts. I'm gonna have to hit these plates with a grinder before I attempt this again.

Today was a "deload" both for my deadlift so my lower back can recover a bit more and also for my upper body (and wrists/elbows) by intentionally skipping any bending this week. I made a lot of bending progress in a short period of time and I just want to play it smart and let my body get some added rest. All in all I felt awesome tonight. The workout was fun...I felt healthy and energized afterwards and the workout left me wanting to do a whole lot more than I did.....just the way a deload should be.

What do your plates look like? Got pics or vids? I have a couple set of perfect 2-45's pinch sets. I'd be glad to let you borrow on of them for a while i fyou wanted to use them as a bridge set.

Also, great job man. That first break is amazing. You are getting close dude.

Thanks Jedd. My plates are normal old school black CAP Barbell plates. I didn't get any video, but I'm gonna start working in some plates pinches after my 2HP on Thursdays....so I'll be sure to post something if and when I can some nice air.

I really appreciate the offer to borrow a set of your plates. Even if that's not until WSH in August....we can swap pairs so you won't be missing any 45's.

From my own experience, training the IM hub drastically improved my pinching strength. I am pretty sure the position I use with my fingers and thumb on the hub directly correcsponded to my strength gains. Last summer I could have only dreamed of pinching 2 45lb plates. About 9 months later, after consistently training the hub, I can pinch 2 45s usually on any given attempt with my right hand. I can break them of the ground with the left, but not a full lift. I trained pinch off and on for several years with little gains. Only after consistently training the IM hub (max attempts and heavy lifting on every training day), my pinch (euro pinch also) steadily increase. Just a suggestion. Here's my first full lift with the 2 45s.

Thanks and hell yeah....you've got a strong *ss pinch. How many days per week do you work your hub? I've tried to simplify my grip training recently because I had fallen into the trap of trying to squeeze every conceivable grip exercise into my weekly routine and that's just too much for me. Since plates pinches put your hand in a similar position as 2HP...maybe it's just redundant to add plate pinches after 2HP. I think I'll take your advice and start rotating in the hub. I haven't trained it in a long time, but my best many months ago was just under 60lbs.

Tonight:

DO Axle: 275x1, 303x1, 323x1, 343x1, 353x1 (new PR), 363xup to my knees

DO Bending - all done in IM 2/3 pads with no rubber bands - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 grade 5 bolt, 1 7" "M" drill rod

I haven't touched the axle since my bicep injury so I'm happy to start out with a 5lb PR. Obviously the other thick bar work I'm doing has some carry-over. I had intended on attempting a red nail in 2/3 IM pads, but I was pooped by the time I finished the M drill rod and I was happy with that....honestly, it hurt a lot more than I thought it would....lol.

http://youtu.be/HWAKpTKe7QY

• Like 1

Congrats on the Axle PR. Looked easy dude.

Nice axle PR man!

Congrats on the Axle PR. Looked easy dude.

Thanks guys....it definitely felt solid....but man another 10lbs made a big difference...

Last Night:

IronMind Hub (counting plates only): 42.5lbs x 6 singles each hand

TSG MMS: up to BBGM x 1 ea, 148 rated M2 x 1RH, missed LH

(right hand taking a really long time to get back to pre-surgery crushing strength....maybe nerve related..???)

Inch Trainer Lifts: 134lbs for 8 attempts each hand - RH: 5 lifts, 1 high air, 2 air - LH: 3 high air, 5 air

Plate Curls: 20lbs (two 10's): 3x8 each

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 145lbsx20,20,20

Reverse Wrist Curls: 30lbsx20,15,15

Tonight:

3/5/1 Deadlifts up to 405x10

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 105x15(5 sets)

TSG CCS Speed Closes: CoC#2 for 9x2

DO Bending in IM singles w/no rubber bands - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 grade 5 bolt, 1 7" "M" drill rod, 1 slightly pre-wobbled Red Nail

Tonight was my return to my normal 3/5/1 deadlift training. I'm basing my initial numbers off an extremely light training max and just wanted to finish tonight with a solid number of reps without killing myself. I threw on a belt and straps for the last set because I'm not sold on returning to an alternating grip and to be honest, I don't feel like going through the pain of learning the hook grip either. For now, I figure I'll do my warm-up sets and some of my lighter work sets double-overhand and then switch to straps for my last heavy set.

I was looking forward to a real killer bending session, but by the time I got to bending I was pretty drained. The drill rod went down OK, but it was tougher than I wanted. The slightly pre-wobbled red nail seemed to take forever. I really felt it in my hands and wrists tonight, so I would take a hit and then put the nail down and take a little breather....I didn't have it in me tonight to do one continuous bend hit after hit. Nevertheless, once I got it kinked after a couple hits, the sweep and crush was fairly quick. My wrists and hands definitely got a good workout tonight and it was important mentally to finish off the red in a tired state without getting all psyched up beforehand like the first time I bent a red in singles. There's still a long road ahead before I'm ready to certify, but I'm getting closer each week.

• Like 1

Good work on the deadlifts. Has doing grippers on the same day effects your bending?

Good work on the deadlifts. Has doing grippers on the same day effects your bending?

Thanks Tom...I don't think it's the grippers really...I think the totality of everything I do in my workout prior to bending just takes a lot of wind out of my sails. That's cool though...I'm still getting the work in. I'm aware that I would need to prioritize my bending if I wanted to go for a true max bend attempt.

Tonight:

IronMind Hub (counting plates only): 45lbs x 6 singles each hand

TSG MMS: up to several close attempts at my 153.6 #3 RH and several close attempts at my 148 M2 LH.

Inch Trainer Lifts: 135.25lbs for 8 attempts each hand - RH: 7 lifts, 1 air - LH: 1 high air, 7 air

Plate Curls: 10lbsx10, 15lbsx10, 20lbs (two 10's) 3x10

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 150lbsx20,20,20

Reverse Wrist Curls: 30lbsx20,17,12

Slowly but surely my RH gripper strength is coming back. Tonight was the first time since my injury that I felt I could've closed my #3 again. Also, several RH inch trainer lifts were high pulls. My thick bar is getting stronger every week and I feel like I dominated my inch trainer tonight.

• Like 1

Tonight:

3/5/1 Deadlifts up to 380x15 - The weight felt light and I could've squeezed out more but man I got winded quick!

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 105x15(5 sets)

TSG CCS Speed Closes: CoC#1.5 for 6x3, #2x1ea, #2.5x1ea - A #2.5 CCS close is a left handed PR!

DO Bending in IM singles w/no rubber bands: 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 grade 5 bolt kink only, 1 7" M bar kink only, 1 Red Nail kink only, 1 7" M bar kink only - I quickly ran out of gas tonight so I decided to take a cue from Sharkey's training and just focus on getting some good kinks tonight.

• Like 1

Tonight I listened to loud rock n roll music while I pinched my fingers together to lift things off the ground, tried to close springy objects by making a fist, picked up other heavy things off the ground that had a really thick handle and then pumped up my forearms using a bar and weight plates by moving them in various directions.