Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

Cool....unless my wife scheduled something already or something really important comes up...I think I can make it.

Last night:

2HP: 55x1, 80x1, 105x1, 125x1, 145x1, 165x1, 175xup but dropped, 160x1,1,1,1,1,1

Dynamic TSG CCS closes (done in between sets of 2HP): CoC#1.5 for 6x3 each hand

20mm block closes: CoC#2: RH-1x29, LH-1x20

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 120x20,20,20

Just getting work done....looking forward to ME grippers and bending on Monday.

• Like 1

Deadlifts 305x10(5), 325x1, 350x1, 385x1 - all double overhand/no belt - right arm continues to feel fine and I will continue to slowly progress week after week with both volume and adding progressively heavier singles to build my confidence back.

TSG - MMS up to multiple BBGM closes each hand

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 Grade 5 bolt, 1 7" M drill rod in doubles, 1 red nail in IM doubles/crushed in singles, attempted a red in singles but it wasn't happening tonight

Overall I'm very happy that all things considered, the red in doubles wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. The kink is obviously the hardest part, the crush in singles actually felt easy which I wasn't expecting. I will slowly start to build volume with the M drill rod and reds and progressively work my way down from double pads to singles.

I also had my last doctor's appointment tonight. As far as he is concerned I can return to unrestricted exercise and he doesn't need to see me anymore!

All in all a pretty good night!

http://youtu.be/hWrtXui6b3E

• Like 2

I also had my last doctor's appointment tonight. As far as he is concerned I can return to unrestricted exercise and he doesn't need to see me anymore!

You made it!!

nICE

Thanks Mike!

You made it!!

Feels good...thank you!

I fricken love to read this stuff in logs! Perseverance pays off. Awesome to hear the doc cleared you! And your DO technique looks really good. I suspect within the month you get it in single IMPs. Keep doing whatever you're doing bro. Seriously.

Yeah the crush is probably easy for you since you have a strong chest. Us skinny guys have to work for a good crush.

Good stuff and looking forward to seeing some bug pulls from you again!

I fricken love to read this stuff in logs! Perseverance pays off. Awesome to hear the doc cleared you! And your DO technique looks really good. I suspect within the month you get it in single IMPs. Keep doing whatever you're doing bro. Seriously. Yeah the crush is probably easy for you since you have a strong chest. Us skinny guys have to work for a good crush.

Thanks Daniel!

Good stuff and looking forward to seeing some bug pulls from you again!

Thanks Jason!

Tonight:

2HP: 55x1, 80x1, 105x1, 125x1, 145x1, 165x1,1,1,1,1,1

Dynamic TSG CCS closes (done in between sets of 2HP): CoC#2 for 8x1 each hand

Inch Trainer Lifts: 125lbs - LHx1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1/2,1 - RHx1,1 (wasn't planning on using right arm, but wanted to do a couple to get over my fear) - I'll be going up just a little every week

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 125x20,20,20

This afternoon:

Deadlifts 315x10(5), 335x1, 365x1, 405x1 - all double overhand/no belt w/1-1/4" Jessup Power Bar - The sets of 315 really fried my hands by the end. I was never a repetition guy when it came to deadlifts. I'll test my DO 2" axle in a few more weeks to see where I'm at.

TSG - CCS and MMS up to "pathetic" - the DO deadlifts are really affecting my strength here by doing them in the same workout...I have to re-think this...

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 Grade 5 bolt, 1 red nail in singles FAIL - I'm still kinda tight/sore from Saturday's bench workout so I wasn't feeling it today. I was planning on doing some more volume and finishing with a red nail in 1-2/3 pads, but instead I just went for it in singles and barely made a visible wobble after 5 good hits with a decent rest in between each hit (I've wobbled it further before with just a couple shorter hits...those are the days I should've went for it....not today). I have to stop doing this and just stick with the plan. It's tough to make speedy progress in your bench and your standing press and bending all at the same time. I have to stick with my plan of reduced pad progression and take my small victories each week and I'll get there in time...I'm not in a race.

I use to do TSG on deadlift days but it wasn't working for me either, so I switched it squat days and like it a lot better.

Grippers and DO pulls are a funny thing. I've had both great success and horrible results from them. As you probably just discovered, reps don't pair well. DO singles have served me well on several occasions. Anytime I feel a peak in my DO grip max single, I also get PRs in MMS on grippers. And when my DO grip is weak so are grippers. All this goes for whether both pulls and grippers are in the same workout or not. I don't notice a difference if in the same workout or seperate in the weak. Of course I can't max both in one workout. Anyways, if i'm oly bar focused i'll do the first pull DO then go mixed for the rest of the set. This seems to help enable a better gripper workout, whenever that is. I like to go till I drop a lift then finish the workout mixed. this also ensures I get a max effort DO attempt in instead of wasted energy on endurance DO pulling with lighter weights. Also it seems easy to overtrain DO and grippers if doing them both balls out for too long. I can do it hard in short bursts then I regress. I hope that helps understand the way it affects me, and maybe you. I suggest at least trying to just do one DO grip rep in each set and work on raising your max. I do the same with axle work too. Also try split gripper and pull days, then in a month put them back together. Oh, also I got better progress with oly bar and MMS paired or axle and CCS paired. They compliment the same grip.

Edit: I typed this as I was walking the dogs so apologies if it doesn't make sense. Lol

Edited by daniel reinard

I use to do TSG on deadlift days but it wasn't working for me either, so I switched it squat days and like it a lot better.

Thanks Tom...I think I'm gonna switch my heavy gripper day to Thursdays, which is a dedicated grip workout. The DO deads are too demanding to expect any big gripper closes in the same workout.

Grippers and DO pulls are a funny thing. I've had both great success and horrible results from them. As you probably just discovered, reps don't pair well. DO singles have served me well on several occasions. Anytime I feel a peak in my DO grip max single, I also get PRs in MMS on grippers. And when my DO grip is weak so are grippers. All this goes for whether both pulls and grippers are in the same workout or not. I don't notice a difference if in the same workout or seperate in the weak. Of course I can't max both in one workout. Anyways, if i'm oly bar focused i'll do the first pull DO then go mixed for the rest of the set. This seems to help enable a better gripper workout, whenever that is. I like to go till I drop a lift then finish the workout mixed. this also ensures I get a max effort DO attempt in instead of wasted energy on endurance DO pulling with lighter weights. Also it seems easy to overtrain DO and grippers if doing them both balls out for too long. I can do it hard in short bursts then I regress. I hope that helps understand the way it affects me, and maybe you. I suggest at least trying to just do one DO grip rep in each set and work on raising your max. I do the same with axle work too. Also try split gripper and pull days, then in a month put them back together. Oh, also I got better progress with oly bar and MMS paired or axle and CCS paired. They compliment the same grip.

Edit: I typed this as I was walking the dogs so apologies if it doesn't make sense. Lol

lol...makes sense. I will eventually limit my DO deadlifting to a much lower rep range, I'm just doing volume work right now. I'm definitely going to move grippers to another day so I'm fresh.

Awesome workout tonight:

2HP: 55x1, 80x1, 110x1, 130x1, 150x1, 170x6 singles - strongest I've ever felt on 2HP

Vulcan V2 (black spring) MMS closes (done in between sets of 2HP): L7 through L14 for singles each hand - all closed. Gave L15 a very close attempt righty, not close at all lefty. L14 ties my PR righty and is a new PR lefty by two levels! I'm both psyched and surprised because I haven't touched the Vulcan in four months.

Inch Trainer Lifts: 127lbs for 8 single lifts each hand (2lbs heavier than last week).

Homemade TTK: 3x15-20

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 130x20,20,20

Sand Bucket Extensors: 1x25ea

DO Deadlifts w/no belt - 225x5, 315x3, 365x1, 405x1, 425x1,1,1,1,1 - right arm feeling fine

Standing Ab Pulldowns 5x15

TSG CCS Speed Closes - CoC#1 6x3

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 Grade 5 bolt, 1 M bar in IM 1-2/3 (PR), 1 red in IM 1-2/3 (PR), 1 red in IM 1-1/3 (PR), 1 red in IM singles (PR)

I had a very wierd mental spell over the weekend after Saturday's workout where I was beating the hell out of myself for whatever reason and could not get my head clear...I mean it was really intense and I haven't experienced that type of self-beating in a loooooong time. Anyhoo, I really needed this workout to go well and bending my first red nail meant a lot tonight.

When I first started training grip about 1-1/2 years ago.....closing the #3 gripper and bending the red nail seemed MILES away and now I've done both...even with a significant hiatus with my torn bicep. If you happen to read this post and you're struggling to get there and feeling that your goals are still miles away....KEEP GOING....you WILL get there!!

Thanks to everybody on the board for their feedback and support.....but especially Chez for reaching out to me way back when and introducing me to bending and Nate for his coaching and inspiration.

http://youtu.be/Agm4AtoVcrI

• Like 5

DO Deadlifts w/no belt - 225x5, 315x3, 365x1, 405x1, 425x1,1,1,1,1 - right arm feeling fine

Standing Ab Pulldowns 5x15

TSG CCS Speed Closes - CoC#1 6x3

DO Bending - 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 Grade 5 bolt, 1 M bar in IM 1-2/3 (PR), 1 red in IM 1-2/3 (PR), 1 red in IM 1-1/3 (PR), 1 red in IM singles (PR)

I had a very wierd mental spell over the weekend after Saturday's workout where I was beating the hell out of myself for whatever reason and could not get my head clear...I mean it was really intense and I haven't experienced that type of self-beating in a loooooong time. Anyhoo, I really needed this workout to go well and bending my first red nail meant a lot tonight.

When I first started training grip about 1-1/2 years ago.....closing the #3 gripper and bending the red nail seemed MILES away and now I've done both...even with a significant hiatus with my torn bicep. If you happen to read this post and you're struggling to get there and feeling that your goals are still miles away....KEEP GOING....you WILL get there!!

Thanks to everybody on the board for their feedback and support.....but especially Chez for reaching out to me way back when and introducing me to bending and Nate for his coaching and inspiration.

http://youtu.be/Agm4AtoVcrI

Hell Ya. I'm in class so I couldn't listen to the audio but that is freaking awesome man. Congrats Dude!

I got to tell you...it's been awhile since I read an email (I'm subscribed to your log) that brought joy like that one did.

Well Freakin' Done!

Inspiring just to read your log! I can't wait to watch the vid (gotta wait until tomorrow). Kick a$$ John!

Nice job man inspiring story

Your name will be on that red nail roster soon enough, keep up the good work.

I remember when you were up the air about the surgery because you were too old and would lose too much strength to come back. very well done.