Newbie Beginning Program

wojo

Tonight:

3/5/1 Deadlifts up to 425x12

SSB Good Mornings: 105x12(5 sets)

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 90x15(5 sets)

TSG CCS Speed Closes: CoC#2 for 9x2

DO Bending in IM singles w/no rubber bands: 1 yellow, 1 blue, 1 grade 5 bolt, 1 7" M bar kink only, 1 Red Nail kink only

Both the drill rod and red nail were kinked to about 45 degrees each. This week was easier than last week. I had wanted to do more volume tonight, but I took a nice chunk of skin out of my finger last week and it's not completely healed (boo hoo) so I was happy with what I did. I especially like the fact that I can now get the red after a deadlift workout when I'm completely wiped and without getting all psyched up for it.

I'm not in a hurry to cert the red, but I don't want to completely drag my feet either. I just want to feel a little more confident in my kink before I commit to a cert request.

Great work bro! Deadlifts keep going up and bending keeps on getting easier. That red will be yours whenever you decide its time.

How do you like standing ab pulldowns versus kneeling? I just started doing pulldowns just with an elite band over the squat rack. All I got.

Great work bro! Deadlifts keep going up and bending keeps on getting easier. That red will be yours whenever you decide its time.

How do you like standing ab pulldowns versus kneeling? I just started doing pulldowns just with an elite band over the squat rack. All I got.

Thanks Daniel! I can't say I've ever really consistently done kneeling ab pulldowns...I never really liked them too much. It's kinda tough to go heavy and stay in position and you could always swing and cheat the weight down. I love doing them standing just like the video below with the Spud long ab strap. You can really lock yourself into position by bracing your ass back against the machine. I usually keep the weight moderate for more volume, but sometimes I'll go heavier for sets of 8 to 10.

Thanks man. Excellent video. I'll try to rig something up at home. It's definitely hard not to cheat when kneeling despite trying not too.

Tonight:

Deloaded Single Hand Two 45 Plate Pinch - A bunch of attempts - Orange band as shown on video deloads the plates about 25lbs at the very bottom...so the pinch quickly ramps up from about 65lbs to 90lbs

Vulcan V2 - up to a couple of very close attempts at L15 each hand

Inch Trainer Lifts: 137.75lbs - Right hand only tonight x HA,1,1,HA,1,1,1,1,1,1,HA,A (HA=high air, A=Air)

BTB (behind the back) Wrist Curls: 160lbsx20,20,20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq2DhEmaRx4

Tonight:

3/5/1 Deadlifts - Deload Week - 3x5 easy weight

SSB Good Mornings - 110x12(5 sets)

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 95x15(5 sets)

TSG CCS Closes: Worked up to #2.5 right handed with a good attempt (about 1/4") at a 148lb rated M2. Left handed didn't fair too well tonight, but I did set a rep PR left handed at 21 CCS reps with a #2.

DO Bending in IM singles w/no rubber bands - 1 yellow, 1 grade 5 bolt, 1 7" "M" drill rod (kink only), 1 7" 465lb rated drill rod - got about a 10 degree kink after two hits. I had planned on fighting this until it died, but my left pec has been feeling a little funny and I tore open the middle finger on my left hand again...so I took what the night gave me and packed it in. I still carry the belief that if I can kink it, I can kill it.....so I still see this as progress....even if it's only about de-mystifying the harder steel.

• Like 1

1 7" 465lb rated drill rod

Was this 5/16'' drill rod or M rod? I have some 5/16'' drill rod, but haven't tried it yet.

1 7" 465lb rated drill rod

Was this 5/16'' drill rod or M rod? I have some 5/16'' drill rod, but haven't tried it yet.

It was "P" drill rod that I bought from Mike Krahling at Bender's Battlefield.....he calibrates and sells all the steel over there. Bending calibrated steel is the only real way of knowing exactly where you're at because steel does vary...so it makes it easier to take progressive steps forward.

I have a bunch of "M" drill rod that I've been using in my workouts. None of it is rated, but I was told it typically calibrates slightly less than the red nail. I also have a bunch of "N" drill rod, which I was told typically calibrates slightly above the red nail. I haven't tried the "N" rod yet because I'd rather try the calibrated stuff since I honestly don't know the true rating of the "N" rod.

• Like 2

Tonight:

3/5/1 Deadlifts - up to 410x15 - getting close to my repetition max

SSB Good Mornings - 115x12(3 sets)

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 100x15(3 sets)

TSG CCS Closes: Worked up to #2.5 for 8 singles right handed and a bunch of close attempts left handed

Bending: I feel like my upper body needs the extra rest, so I took tonight off. It's obviously very tempting to keep pushing forward, especially since it seems there is a whole slew of new red nail benders racing towards a cert. However, I must stay focused on my own plan and remind myself that I'm not in a race with anyone else. Friendly competition is always a great source of motivation, but it should never derail you from your own game plan.

Diet: I have been following Carb Nite for the past 5 months and have lost around 20 pounds of mostly fat in that time, while still slowly increasing my strength or at the very least maintaining it. However, I feel it's time to take a little break. I've tweaked some things and I've switched over to more of a carb backloading diet. I will probably follow this for at least a month or so before I re-evaluate things. I'm hoping the addition of carbs will help give my strength a kick in the ass, while allowing me to put on some muscle and still lose fat or at worst maintain my current bodyfat level.

Bending: I feel like my upper body needs the extra rest, so I took tonight off. It's obviously very tempting to keep pushing forward, especially since it seems there is a whole slew of new red nail benders racing towards a cert. However, I must stay focused on my own plan and remind myself that I'm not in a race with anyone else. Friendly competition is always a great source of motivation, but it should never derail you from your own game plan.

Smart idea, I started warming up to have a big bending session tonight and my thumb pads started killing me, so I had to call it quits after a few warm-up bends.

Smart idea, I started warming up to have a big bending session tonight and my thumb pads started killing me, so I had to call it quits after a few warm-up bends.

Good call....I think sometimes we forget that we grow stronger outside the gym, not in it.

• Like 1

Tonight:

Plate Pinches up to five 10's, two 35's and then a bunch of deloaded two 45's attempts

Vulcan V2 - up to L14 each hand and then a few very close attempts at L15 each hand

Rolling Thunder - My left wrist was doing a weird clicky thing, so I just worked up right handed up to 192.5lbs in plates plus the apparatus, which is about 6.5lbs for a total of 199lbs and a new PR. This was my first Rolling Thunder workout since my bicep tear and I hit a PR, which made me very happy and does wonders for my confidence.

50lb block weight - I got some air LH and maybe a tiny bit RH (I've lifted this before, but only left handed). After my attempts I tried Daniel's method of doing long iso's.....so I did 3 sets of 10 seconds each hand. Holy cow they were brutal! I can see why this should work....tons of time under tension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI08jMprLIE

• Like 2

That's an awesome workout John! Huge RT numbers and you'll pinching 2 45's in no time!

long iso's.....so I did 3 sets of 10 seconds each hand. Holy cow they were brutal!

:devil Smoke those thumbs!

Congrats on the huge RT lift and the very successful bicep recovery. Looks like you didn't leave where you left off, you far surpassed that! :mosher

That's an awesome workout John! Huge RT numbers and you'll pinching 2 45's in no time!

Thanks Tom!

long iso's.....so I did 3 sets of 10 seconds each hand. Holy cow they were brutal!

:devil Smoke those thumbs!

Congrats on the huge RT lift and the very successful bicep recovery. Looks like you didn't leave where you left off, you far surpassed that! :mosher

Thanks Daniel! The block iso's really were painful...I'm gonna stick with them.

Huge RT PR John. That is awesome buddy. I need to step my game up with thick bar.

• Like 1

Tonight:

DO Axle: Tried out sumo stance for the first time and worked up to 303x1, 333x1, 363x1 - new PR - barely locked it out...good for the gym, but wouldn't fly in competition

3/5/1 Deadlifts up to 390x10 and 430x5 - didn't go for a rep PR or anything tonight, just doing work and sticking to the plan

Grippers: TSG both CCS and MMS - Meh - nothing special

Finished with 50lb block weight iso's 3x10sec each - I'm loving these...sounds silly, but it's like I can feel them making my hands stronger

Skipped bending again...my shoulders are still hurtin' from Saturday's upper body session. At some point I will need to prioritize bending and make my other upper body training secondary if I want to certify. Lately, I just haven't felt recovered enough to bend on Mondays and I can't seem to find another day to bend that makes sense in my program. I have to give this more thought and come up with a plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcZQ-oyWWdE

• Like 1

I'm going to have to try those iso squeezes, sound really interesting. How are you going to measure your gains?

I'm going to have to try those iso squeezes, sound really interesting. How are you going to measure your gains?

Well....I'm squeezing the 50lb block weight because I've only ever been able to lift it left handed and it pisses me off that I've never lifted it righty...so the iso's are specific to this width. Today I just did the iso's without making any actual attempts at lifting the block. I'll have a second workout in the week where I will make lifting attempts first and then finish off with iso's. I suppose I'll measure progress by how quickly I'm able to lift the block right handed. If I feel the iso's were successful, I'll add them in as a finisher on other exercises like thick bar and pinch.

Working with iso's makes a lot of sense really. You need a sufficient amount of time under tension to create an adaptation (i.e. - a few attempts at lifting a block weight that last less than a second each is not much of an imposed stress to adapt to) so on static lifts it's either lighter weight for reps, holds for time and/or isometric contractions with the implement still on the ground.

• 1 month later...

I haven't posted in a while because I felt I was getting a little too obsessive about posting on all different forums, posting YouTube videos and keeping a blog on the website I created. I was feeling a bit silly about the whole thing and a little "over exposed" because in reality....what was the purpose and what was I trying to accomplish?....so I took down my website, took down my YouTube videos and I've just been keeping my head down and training my ass off.

Anywho.....I've decided to commit the immediate several months to gaining confidence with the red nail and then request a cert. I've otherwise been training hard and as far as grip is concerned...I'm training with next year's Nationals as my main focus.

Tonight's Workout:

5/3/1 Rolling Thunder

Reverse Bending (unplanned) - got a nice wobble in an M-bar in IM singles after two long hits, but it wiped me out

• Like 1

John, good to see you posting again, I enjoy following your training. Great avatar btw :laugh

John, good to see you posting again, I enjoy following your training. Great avatar btw :laugh

Thanks Tom! I'm hoping to join you on the Red Nail Roster soon!

(Isolateral kettlebell bosu ball squats are the secret to big bends....shhhhhh...don't tell anyone!)

• Like 1

This afternoon:

5/3/1 Close Grip Bench

BBB sets

DO Bending (no bands): 2 yellows, 1 M bar, 2 new red nails

I'll see what happens over the next week or two....if I'm killing multiple reds every workout and feeling confident, I'll go ahead and request a cert.

Awesome bending John, if you can get it under 30 sec now, you're ready!

• Like 1