North American Grip National Championship

Jedd Johnson

The wrist roller is 2" diameter with NO knurling. A cord will be used so there should be little buildup, if any, like that with a strap. The roller is just under 4' wide. I will have picture available once I take it down from my power rack and in Nationals competition form. Hopefully that will happen this Sunday.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jedd Johnson

• Mike Rinderle

• climber511

• jad

The wrist roller is 2" diameter with NO knurling. A cord will be used so there should be little buildup, if any, like that with a strap. The roller is just under 4' wide. I will have picture available once I take it down from my power rack and in Nationals competition form. Hopefully that will happen this Sunday.

Thanks! Very generous knowing that it will be a lot of work for you to take it down and then put it back up when done.

there's a picture on the durniat strength web page. it's on top of a squat rack but, you can get the idea.

Mike, I hear you on the sumo. Two directions to go from there - (1) we could say no sumo (2) everyone could train it sumo and get good at it that way.

It's not an easy decision, that's for sure.

Jedd

IS there a decision reached on Sumo? It appears everyone uses a wider stance than in a regular DL at least. I have pulled everything with a semi Sumo stance since I started grip, I don't go plate to plate but it's not conventional either - just want to know before the meet.

Does anybody have a feel for what an eqivalent resistance would be on a traditional wrist roller? I just went up and down with 35 lbs or so for 5 minutes straight and it felt way too easy. The tops of my forearms got a little pump but that was all. It's a 2.5" PVC roller and I did them reverse. Should I be using more like 50 or 100 lbs to approximate the resistance?

And ditto on Chris' question. I pull with a semi sumo stance for 1 arm pulls too.

Thanks!

Does anybody have a feel for what an eqivalent resistance would be on a traditional wrist roller? I just went up and down with 35 lbs or so for 5 minutes straight and it felt way too easy. The tops of my forearms got a little pump but that was all. It's a 2.5" PVC roller and I did them reverse. Should I be using more like 50 or 100 lbs to approximate the resistance?

And ditto on Chris' question. I pull with a semi sumo stance for 1 arm pulls too.

Thanks!

Mike I forget what Jedd had on it weight wise but it wasn't like it was all that hard to move - it was hard to move fast without wearing out, at least for me. Jedd went like a drag racer the whole way - I started OK and got slower and then slower than that. If it matters I'm using 80# on my 2 3/8" wrist roller set about waist high and rolling it up - letting it spin through my hands and doing 3 or 4 reps one way and then the other - I need to time it. Last time it was a one minute time limit - no reason to train for five maybe?

Mike, I hear you on the sumo. Two directions to go from there - (1) we could say no sumo (2) everyone could train it sumo and get good at it that way.

It's not an easy decision, that's for sure.

Jedd

IS there a decision reached on Sumo? It appears everyone uses a wider stance than in a regular DL at least. I have pulled everything with a semi Sumo stance since I started grip, I don't go plate to plate but it's not conventional either - just want to know before the meet.

I see no reason not to allow Sumo, provided you can lock out your hips and knees without the weights stopping your momentum.

Thanks! Very generous knowing that it will be a lot of work for you to take it down and then put it back up when done.

Yes, extremely generous. Can't tell you how much I appreicate your offer, Andrew. Thanks again!

Anyone flying in to the Nationals? I'll be flying in and am looking to save money on rooms and rides. Maybe split some costs or know of ways to save?

Info on the Nationals Location and airports / hotels:

Directions for Grip Nationals

If you are driving – probably the best thing is to set your GPS or Mapquest etc to my

address and then follow that. But GPS etc can do some funny things that can cost you a

lot of extra time so here’s some directions that might help.

Directions coming from the east - Coming west on I-70 into Zanesville – take the Route

60/ Underwood Street exit – exit 155 I think. At the bottom of the ramp, turn left (this is

Underwood St – route 60 south. Stay on route 60 south – the road will go to 2 lane then

turn back into 4 lane as you follow along the river (this is only a few miles). Just after it

goes back to four lane, there is a traffic light. Turn right and cross the river on route 719.

Stay on this till the third light (just after you cross the railroad tracks). Turn left – this is

State route 22 west. Continue a few miles past a Wal-Mart on the left. You will see an

exit (left lane) for State Route 93. You’ll take 93 for 7-8 miles into Crooksville. St Rt 93

goes to 4 lane in Crooksville. After you hit the 4 lane – you’ll take the 3rd exit and turn

left – this is Main St, you’ll see a Domino’s Pizza. At the second light (the Post Office

is on your right), turn right onto Star St, go one block and turn left onto Burley St. Do

not follow your GPS onto Railroad St. My house is the fifth on the left with a wooden

fence in front. The house number - 230 is on the mailbox on the porch. Go up and turn

around to park (one side parking) or park in the large gravel parking lot across the street –

we have permission. If no one comes to the front door – walk around back to the building

and come on in – this is the gym.

You can download a map from Mapquest of course but it does weird stuff getting you

thru Zanesville but it will get you here

Directions coming from the West - Take Interstate 70 East from Columbus towards

Zanesville. Take state route 13 south off of Interstate 70 (exit 132) towards Somerset.

Do not go past this exit and on to Zanesville – this will cost you another half an hour or

45 minutes and sometimes GPS will do this to you. On SR 13 if following your GPS

do NOT turn onto Zion Road – stay on SR 13. You’ll go straight thru Somerset – about

a mile or so out of Somerset on SR 13, turn left onto state route 669 south. Stay on 669

until the stop sign at Saltillo. Turn left – it will say 669/345. Go thru the tiny town of

Saltillo, (maybe a half mile) and then turn right, staying on 669 towards Crooksville. The

next stop sign will be in Crooksville at SR 93 – you’ll be looking at a 4 lane. Turn right

on the 4 lane, go to the next exit, and turn left. This is Main St. Go to the second traffic

light and turn right just before the Post Office onto Star St. Do not follow your GPS onto

Railroad St. Go one block and turn left. This is Burley St. I live in the 5th house on the

left, it has a wooden fence in front, and the 230 house number is on the mailbox on the

porch. You’ll need to go up and turn around to park as it’s parking on one side only.

Flying – you will want to fly into Columbus International Airport. Coming from

Columbus International Airport – exit the airport and take 270 South to Interstate 70 East

– then follow directions above.

Chris Rice

230 Burley St.

Crooksville, Ohio 43731

Some cell phones don’t work here.

Anyone who wants my phone numbers – please PM me as I won’t throw those up on the

web.

As for hotels – I don’t stay in hotels so I’m not much help here. Hotel info – coming

from the west or the airport. If you are flying out early – there are hotels at and near the

airport that might be good if more expensive.

There seem to be no hotels in Crooksville – I can’t imagine why! If you are flying in –

you will no doubt land at Columbus International Airport. You want the 132 exit off of

I-70 east – go south on state route 13 to St Rt 669to Crooksville. With this in mind, a

hotel along I-70 somewhere east of Columbus and before exit 132 seems ideal and there

are quite a few choices. I’ve never stayed at any of them and to be honest – have only

stayed in any hotel a half dozen times in my life so I can’t offer much of an opinion to

help you out. If we consider that you want to be on the east side of 270 (the Columbus

outer belt) then the first group of hotels are at exit 112, just after you get onto I-70 E off

of 270 coming from the airport, or just east of 270 on the east side of Columbus – then at

exits 110, 126 and 129 there are more hotels. There are more places to eat at 112 and 110

but there are a few places at each of the others. None of these will be much of a drive to

#132 . It’s about a half hour to my place from the exit. From the Airport, any of these

are less than a half hour.

The best map I can find is to Google Columbus Ohio Hotels east – go to Obitz – go to

Airport and east side – it will give you a map showing all of them – prices don’t seem to

bad, at least for some of them. I tried to link it for you but it would only take you to the

Obitz site and you still had to do all the rest. Here are three of the cheapest I could find

but there are many more choices if you have a Hotel chain you know and like.

http://www.orbitz.com/App/shared/pagedef/results/hotelDetails.jsp?

z=adab&r=xp&z=adad&r=xr&lastPage=interstitial

z=f36a&r=16e&z=f36c&r=16g&lastPage=interstitial

z=f103&r=1ew&z=f105&r=1ey&lastPage=interstitial

If you are coming from the east – Google Zanesville, Ohio hotels and pick one – there are

several and all are about the same distance away. There are a couple at the exit you will

come off of Interstate 70 there.

Guys,

I have three entry forms.

I need to know who's coming to this and who is not.

At the very least, please send me your tee shirt size so that I can make sure I get you what you need.

PM or Email is fine.

Jedd

Thanks Bob.

I will add you to the sponsor area I am working on for the grip sport site.

jedd.diesel@gmail.com is my paypal address.

Thanks again!

I'll be there. I must have thrown my form away somehow. I'll get it done tonight.

$50.00, not much Jedd but I wanted to help a little. Sent out today.

Thanks a bunch Bob!!! :mosher

Sent mine off today. T-shirt size is extra medium but only in TapOut or Affliction, so just put me down for an XL.

What's the start time? Thx

DATE: July 16, 2011

SIGN-IN: 9:00am

RULES: 9:30am

START: 10:00am

If anyone competing is lighter than 82.6k and want to have their result in e.g. the 2HP recognised in the 82.5k class, then they need to insist on being weighed by the organiser just before the comp on a certified or calibrated scale (a request the organiser may or may not approve). Calibration can be done by placing for example the europinch loaded to 82.5k (calibrated weight) or thereabouts on the scale and use the nominal reading on the scale as a guide. The weighing has to be supervised by the organiser though.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I will be there. I'll let you know about any others from the gym after this weekends comp. I hope to have 3 others qualify on Saturday.

Will there be a novice division at Nationals or just weight classes?

I just saw that you asked about classes. There will be Novice, Open and Elite Classes. Please pass this on to your competitors at your gym.