Metroplex Mayhem At Metroflex 3

Paul Knight

Congrats Paul for the big W ! Great job by Ross, Adam, Ryan and Eric for top 5, and every one else that competed. I wanted to be there but couldn't make it happen. Sounds like I def. missed out. Sounds like a great after party too. . . . 3:00 am :whacked ? One of Paul after party's almost got me divorced a few years ago. :upsidedwn

Oh, I meant I held out until 3am. But, the party was still going on.... :laugh I think Ryan still wanted to play more cards. (Don't know why - he gave me all his chips during Texas Hold 'Em... heh heh.)

@Chris: I didn't realize you'd not worked with a Euro Pinch (184lbs!) OR closed a #3! Very cool! Glad you had a good first comp!

@Mark: Having a new baby in the house is a pretty good reason for not getting to train as much. I know you'd rather have had both though... :)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• Sher

• barbe705

• mightyjoe

props to everyone who competed. And congratulations to Paul, Ross and Adam.

where the hell have you been!

Thanks to all who showed up to compete. I am happy about how everything went ... my only regret was how long the contest took, but it was a learning experience on what not to do next time. Anywho, a special thanks goes out to everyone who helped - Joe Musselwhite, Eric Milfeld, Mike Brown, Chris Dezendorf (Bigdeeze), Kevin Emery, Nick Hendrick and Mike Gile ... I'm sure there were others, sorry if I missed you.

Chris Dezendorf was super cool. He drove all the way from Mississippi to compete. He stayed at my house and helped out a ton ... he was giving me hell because I coaxed him into helping me setup the night before, so I had to take his money in Hold'em the next night. haha. Chris I had a blast w/you and your welcome at my house anytime. Big kudos for all your help. I expect to see some Blob curls w/that York soon.

Ross Love was quite a suprise. He's about 300lb and has some huge strong mitts. I did not expect him to do so well on EVERYTHING ... I expected him to do well on axle and the support grip medley items, but he did smashed all the events ... the event that he did worst on was grippers, but he didn't know how to set ... so he didn't set. He pretty much did CCS width closes on all his attempts and managed to shut an easy #3 this way. He's gonna be a the man to beat in short time.

Adam Glass was nice as hell. He was helping me w/everything. I strained my back a little on the axle event (cause my form absolutely sux) and he ran me through some excersises and my back felt better instantly ... it was crazy! Adam had me on pins and needles the whole contest though ... It was neck and neck between Adam, Ross, Ryan and myself pretty much the whole time and could've been anyone's win. I was super impressed with Adam in the medley too beside him having a PR on pinch and I think grippers too. He closed an MM2 dup that is noticabley harder than the actual MM2. I think Adam smashed 30 items in the medley and murdered a tough Red Nail double underhand (the strict way w/hands close together) Way to go Adam ... I wish we had more time to talk though after the comp before you left ... maybe next time.

Ryan Johnson cracks me up. My after comp parties wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for him and his cheap cigars. Ryan did awesome in the comp .. he was in second at the end of axle going into the medley. He wooped my ass last year so I think he was complacent comin in and didn't train as hard. I think next year he will be back in top shape. Thanks for all your help Ryan

Eric Milfeld is probably in his worst shape when it comes to grip and STILL hit top five in a tough field, but his BJJ is probably better than it has ever been and is probably what has caused his strength loss. What do you weigh now? about 185? Thanks a million buddy for all your help as usual and see you Sat.

.. I'm going to stop for now and finish later ... I have ADD and I'm losing my attention haha

Paul

it was excellent time my friend. I will be back in Ft Worth for Show of Hands, and absolutely returning for MM4.

I will call this week to walk you through the training stuff.

Well.. I just wanna start by saying THANKS to Paul for putting on one of the most fun competitions I have ever been a part of.

Started my day at 4:15am .. pulled the wife out of bed, dropped the dog off at my parents and headed to Fort Worth. Got to FW about 9:30am with plenty of time to spare. Competed for roughly 9 hours.. reluctantly got back in my car 5 min after the comp ended and drove alllllll they way back home slapping myself in the face the whole way to stay awake lol.

Event 1.. about 4 days prior to this comp I made my own Euro by slapping a couple 45's together and giving it a run. Topped out right at 200lbs. When I got to the competiton and started warming up I grabbed onto Paul's Euro and it felt so amazing I decided to open up at 202lbs. Felt great.. went to 222lbs and then 232lbs on my 3rd attempt. Probably should have jumped to 237 on my 4th attempt but I had no idea where I was at so I just jumped another 10lbs. Got it about 7" up and it slipped. Will not miss 242 Next time :)

Event 2.. Grippers.. Just like Paul said.. I was clueless on the "set" and it showed. So I asked "can I just grab it and squeeze it" and everyone gladly said YES lol.. bombed that event hahaha.

Event 3.. This was the source of my only frustration on the day. I have been routinely hitting 470+ in the gym as this is really the only grip event I have ever done. Opened with 401 and it FLEW up.. I thought "Yes, 500 is going up today" haha.. jumped to 450 and like a DORK I didnt lock it out, not sure why.. still makes no sense. In frustration I attemped 450 again and again missed due to fatigue. Lastly dropped down to 420 to save points and successfully hit the lift.. I can promise that next time I WILL be hitting 470+ :) (will be buying my own IM Axle)

Event 4.. Medley.. Man, what a blast! Mr. Johnson and I both kinda agreed to start off with the Inch Dumbell lift and after he had dropped 1 of the 2 I thought "oh crap" as Ryan also has very long hands and ive never attempted to DL one in each hand before. Even after a long day the 2 Inch DB's felt very good in my hands and that allowed me to win the Medley by beating Mr. Paul by 1 Item :) which he said he hates me for haha.

What I love most about Strongman and now grip is the willingness of the Vets to help out the Newbs.. Playing competitive sports my whole life.. its just a very refreshing change to be a part of something like this. Makes it much more enjoyable. Adam and Paul kinda coached me through the whole day... offering advice however they could be assistance. Ive always absorbed as much info as I possibly could and when someone is that willing to help you out, its pretty awesome. Great meeting everyone.. Alex, Ryan, Paul, Adam.. I am HORRIBLE with names but im great with Faces lol. Also the whole Musselwite family is just too cool.

I cant wait to do another competition.. I think the Ronnie Coleman in April is the one ill be doing next! Look forward to seeing you guys again in the future.

Well.. I just wanna start by saying THANKS to Paul for putting on one of the most fun competitions I have ever been a part of.

Started my day at 4:15am .. pulled the wife out of bed, dropped the dog off at my parents and headed to Fort Worth. Got to FW about 9:30am with plenty of time to spare. Competed for roughly 9 hours.. reluctantly got back in my car 5 min after the comp ended and drove alllllll they way back home slapping myself in the face the whole way to stay awake lol.

Event 1.. about 4 days prior to this comp I made my own Euro by slapping a couple 45's together and giving it a run. Topped out right at 200lbs. When I got to the competiton and started warming up I grabbed onto Paul's Euro and it felt so amazing I decided to open up at 202lbs. Felt great.. went to 222lbs and then 232lbs on my 3rd attempt. Probably should have jumped to 237 on my 4th attempt but I had no idea where I was at so I just jumped another 10lbs. Got it about 7" up and it slipped. Will not miss 242 Next time :)

Event 2.. Grippers.. Just like Paul said.. I was clueless on the "set" and it showed. So I asked "can I just grab it and squeeze it" and everyone gladly said YES lol.. bombed that event hahaha.

Event 3.. This was the source of my only frustration on the day. I have been routinely hitting 470+ in the gym as this is really the only grip event I have ever done. Opened with 401 and it FLEW up.. I thought "Yes, 500 is going up today" haha.. jumped to 450 and like a DORK I didnt lock it out, not sure why.. still makes no sense. In frustration I attemped 450 again and again missed due to fatigue. Lastly dropped down to 420 to save points and successfully hit the lift.. I can promise that next time I WILL be hitting 470+ :) (will be buying my own IM Axle)

Event 4.. Medley.. Man, what a blast! Mr. Johnson and I both kinda agreed to start off with the Inch Dumbell lift and after he had dropped 1 of the 2 I thought "oh crap" as Ryan also has very long hands and ive never attempted to DL one in each hand before. Even after a long day the 2 Inch DB's felt very good in my hands and that allowed me to win the Medley by beating Mr. Paul by 1 Item :) which he said he hates me for haha.

What I love most about Strongman and now grip is the willingness of the Vets to help out the Newbs.. Playing competitive sports my whole life.. its just a very refreshing change to be a part of something like this. Makes it much more enjoyable. Adam and Paul kinda coached me through the whole day... offering advice however they could be assistance. Ive always absorbed as much info as I possibly could and when someone is that willing to help you out, its pretty awesome. Great meeting everyone.. Alex, Ryan, Paul, Adam.. I am HORRIBLE with names but im great with Faces lol. Also the whole Musselwite family is just too cool.

I cant wait to do another competition.. I think the Ronnie Coleman in April is the one ill be doing next! Look forward to seeing you guys again in the future.

Ross, you was a shear joy to watch and talk with. Your presence and strength

was obviously respected even as a newbie to grip comps.

I wish I could have talked with you more but the judging kept me tied up all day.

Thanks for competing and I look forward to your future progress. You're a class act

with ELITE STRENGTH!

BTW, didn't you mentione to me that you boxed? GEEZ! Who was your last victim and is he

out of recovery yet? LOL!!!

See you SOON!!!

Joe, Yes I box... but I am not a boxer lol. I enjoy it because its challenging.. looking to take my first fight mid to late this year. Then I guess I could call myself a boxer lol.

Edited by Ross Love

Link below to pictures from the comp

http://metroflexftw.....com/p306931104

Great Pics of the comp.

I agree.

That has to be a World Grip Contest Record for "number of grippers in a competition". What are there, 40?

I think we counted 49 .... we had some good small increments all the way up

Paul,

I get a forbidden message when clicking on that link.

Could you shoot me the excel spreadsheet? I am working on Grip Sport Rankings for this season and am all caught up and ready for your comp.

Thanks.

Jedd

Link below to pictures from the comp

http://metroflexftw.....com/p306931104

Great Pics of the comp.

I agree.

That has to be a World Grip Contest Record for "number of grippers in a competition". What are there, 40?

I think we counted 49 .... we had some good small increments all the way up

That pic of a table full of grippers is my new desk top. Cool.

• 4 weeks later...