Metroplex Mayhem At Metroflex 3

Paul Knight

METROPLEX MAYHEM at METROFLEX III

When? - Jan 15th 2011

Where? - the Fort Worth Metroflex

What time? - Warm-ups start at 10:00 am, contest starts at 11:00am

Same as last year ...

4 attempts on everything (except the medley of course)

1st event - 2 hands pinch on the EURO ...... we will have 2 Eruo pinch setups on different widths to save time

2nd event - Calibrated grippers - MMS set

3rd event - Double overhand axle

4th event - a medley with a crap ton of items ... 3-5 minute time limit depending on how many people compete - TBA

Entry fee - $25 if you pay by Dec 15th or $35 at the door ....

I've got room at my house for 2 people unless Aaron and his wife come ... he has dibbs.

Prizes - medals awarded for 1st - 5th ... the money from the entry fees will be given to the top 3 which may not be much, but at least it could cover a 1 day drunk.

and hopefully we could get some sponsors to throw in something cool that we could give away as prizes

Scoring will be the "Fair system" a.k.a "Gripboard scoring"

probably have a party at my house after the comp as usual w/some Texas hold'em if you wanna gamble away your prize money and if UFC is on that night, we'll def have that on pay-per-view too

I'm really going to press hard on the gym members to compete starting next week, so maybe we can have a solid turnout.

Thanks

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul Knight

• Sher

• barbe705

• mightyjoe

Holy crap, I just jokingly suggested flying to Texas for a grip comp to my wife and she said ok...time to price some flights!

Paul, sounds great. Going to look into coming again. Regardless, look for a sponsorship package from DieselCrew.com.

Jedd

Nice! ... weather should be good to up your pinch record brutha. Thanks Jedd

Holy crap, I just jokingly suggested flying to Texas for a grip comp to my wife and she said ok...time to price some flights!

Fantastic!

Had 3 guys from the gym training grip w/me today ... looks like at least 2 of them will be competing in the comp. One of the guys is a freakin huge body builder named Jay Moore who is damn strong. He pulled 403 on the axle and lifted the inch dumbell ... yikes! he also broke the ground with 210 on the Euro (3-4 inches) without any pinch training. He may be tough to beat if he keeps training w/me up until the contest. This will be interesting.

Had 3 guys from the gym training grip w/me today ... looks like at least 2 of them will be competing in the comp. One of the guys is a freakin huge body builder named Jay Moore who is damn strong. He pulled 403 on the axle and lifted the inch dumbell ... yikes! he also broke the ground with 210 on the Euro (3-4 inches) without any pinch training. He may be tough to beat if he keeps training w/me up until the contest. This will be interesting.

Is this the Jay Moore that lifts with Branch Warren and Johnnie Jackson?

Is this the Jay Moore that lifts with Branch Warren and Johnnie Jackson?

I believe so ... I know he has trained w/Branch a bunch of times, but I'm not sure if he's trained w/Johnnie, although Johnnie Jackson does train in DFW ,,, mostly at Strouds gym. I'm sure all those guys cross train at all the hardcore gyms around here. I found this old youtube vid of Jay ... he's alot bigger now, see below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5avmTbQ6sZY

I have decided to create classes .... Novice and Pro

Cash prizes will be given away to the Pro's, Medals and a few other prizes.

Medals and prizes will be given away to novice.

I'm going to put more time and energy into promoting this comp than in the past. If you are going to try to make a comp next year I recommend this one as It won't be dissapointing. I'm gonna do it up. I'll keep ya'll posted on any cool stuff I line up.

2 sponsors already!

Diesel Crew!

&

Chris Rice!

Big THANKS!

I've contacted about a half dozens others tonight, so we'll see if we can muster up some nice prize packages!

oh, and BTW ... there is an armwrestling table at the gym for you armwrestlers that want to pull after the comp .... my money is on either Mike Hann or Jeff Engles to beat everyone .... EVERYONE!

That sounds like the ultimate men´s only get together ! :yikes

Unfortunately I live in Holland..... Around here there´s no such things as this around in my area... :(

I think I'm going to try to make it over there for this.

Awesome, would be great to meet you finally man!

I think I'm going to try to make it over there for this.

Super! ... yes, I too will be happy to finally me you!

It's official, I'm going. Guess I need to make a pinch device.

It's official, I'm going. Guess I need to make a pinch device.

You can make a setup like Luke Martin and Matt Cannon ...

here's Matt's setup ... looks like two 35lb plates w/a pipe through it and some kind of collars on the outsides of the plates to create space for your fingers and thumb

keep in mind - don't get discouraged w/your numbers on this kind of setup cause you will be able to do a lot more on the actual Euro

I'm psyched that you're coming!

I use 2x45 with a piece of pipe. I use pony clamps the keep that in place and just let the outside plates loose. it's not as nice as a real set up but it does allow you to train cheaply and easily.

I'm going to use 2 35's and a pipe.  I haven't done any pinching other that pony clamps and ttk so I'm guessing my numbers will be pretty low to start but hopefully will jump quickly as I start focusing on it.

Starting a competitors list

1. Paul Knight

2. Eric Milfeld

3. Kevin Emery

4. Jay Moore

5. Cody Tipton

6. Mike Gile

7. Ryan Johnson

8. Mark Desouza

9. Greg Griffin

These are people I've talked to who are defenitly competing as of today ... more locals will be competing I'm sure , but I don't want to put their name down until I've talked to them.

and If you are for sure coming, give me your full name so I can add you to the competitors list. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a heck of a lineup guys! No offense, but Jay's puny hand strength just proves that quote about bodybuilders being weak. :flame

Competitors list

1. Paul Knight

2. Eric Milfeld

3. Kevin Emery

4. Jay Moore

5. Cody Tipton

6. Mike Gile

7. Ryan Johnson

8. Mark Desouza

9. Greg Griffin

10. Alex Graves

11. Casey Emery

Competitors list

1. Paul Knight

2. Eric Milfeld

3. Kevin Emery

4. Jay Moore

5. Cody Tipton

6. Mike Gile

7. Ryan Johnson

8. Mark Desouza

9. Greg Griffin

10. Alex Graves

11. Casey Emery

12. Chris Dezendorf

13. Jacob Orozco

Competitors list

1. Paul Knight

2. Eric Milfeld

3. Kevin Emery

4. Jay Moore

5. Cody Tipton

6. Mike Gile

7. Ryan Johnson

8. Mark Desouza

9. Greg Griffin

10. Alex Graves

11. Casey Emery

12. Chris Dezendorf

13. Jacob Orozco

14. Jeff Engles (badass armwrestler)

15. Ted Wynn

I have decided to create classes .... Novice and Pro

Cash prizes will be given away to the Pro's, Medals and a few other prizes.

Medals and prizes will be given away to novice.

I'm going to put more time and energy into promoting this comp than in the past. If you are going to try to make a comp next year I recommend this one as It won't be dissapointing. I'm gonna do it up. I'll keep ya'll posted on any cool stuff I line up.

BTW

if you can close an Ironmind COC #3, deadlift 300lbs on the Apollons axle, or pinch 185lbs on the Euro, you cannot compete in the novice class, however if you can't do any of those you can still compete in the pro division if you're feeling froggy ... no sand-bagging