• mightyjoe

Ross Love footage:

232 Euro -

242 Euro Fail -

400 Axle -

450 Axle Fail ugh! -

420 Axle -

Grip Medley -

Congrats to everyone! Great work guys and Sherrie. Closing two #4s in a single contest - badass!:mosher

Thanks Ben ... yes my first close was a #191 number 4 that Aaron mailed me (191 on Eric's calibrator) I've closed it 3 or 4 times before and it felt super easy yesterday compared to the other times I shut it. My next close was Chad Woodall's #4 that Steve Gardner shut at the Woodall comp in GA (I bought it from Chad), but we re-calibrated it and got #198 (which Steve got credit on it @ #205) Then I went for an MM7 dup that hit #202 on Eric Calibrator which I missed and almost passed out on. Passed on my fourth attempt

Damn, serious crush there.

I highly doubt that massive #4 got 7 lbs easier over the span of 18 months. Must be differences in the calibration processes. Who originally calibrated that gripper at 205?

Jedd

When I got the gripper in the mail from Chad we calibrated it right away and that is what it hit (#198) it hasn't been used much since obviously .. not a rep gripper, lol. Defenite differences in calibration devices. I've noticed this for a long time now ... all of Eric's numbers seem to be lower than everyone elses. Mayve Chad can chime in and tell us who cal'ed it

No disrespect to Eric or Team Texas but doesn't that mean that Eric should re-evaluate his process (assuming he wants to be comparable to others). I guess I don't understand the logic in going with his numbers just because they're lower when as you say, they consistently seem to be lower than everyone elses?

No disrespect to Eric or Team Texas but doesn't that mean that Eric should re-evaluate his process (assuming he wants to be comparable to others). I guess I don't understand the logic in going with his numbers just because they're lower when as you say, they consistently seem to be lower than everyone elses?

I see what you are saying ... the only reason we are going w/his numbers is because he's the only one w/an RGC around here for us to use .... and the only way to make it fair for the contest is that every gripper we use for said contest, be cal'ed/rated on the same RGC. I hope no one is taking me the wrong way either ... I'm just pointing out the differences if people didn't already know, an FYI kinda thing ... not complaining or accusing anyone of screwing up on there calibrating, just different. My main point is, I closed the same gripper Steve closed at the Woodall, but when you see the results sheet, you will see that the cal number doesn't correspond with the number from Chad's comp yet it's the same gripper.

Please see the pic in my gallery for full comp results. Click the magnifying glass to expand the image.

There are some big numbers here... congrats to all the competitors.

Please see the pic in my gallery for full comp results. Click the magnifying glass to expand the image.

There are some big numbers here... congrats to all the competitors.

Thanks Tim!

I highly doubt that massive #4 got 7 lbs easier over the span of 18 months. Must be differences in the calibration processes. Who originally calibrated that gripper at 205?

Jedd

I bought a RGC from Climber way before my comp and calibrated it at 205#. A beast gripper. Congrats Paul :mosher

Congrats to everyone! Great work guys and Sherrie. Closing two #4s in a single contest - badass!:mosher

Thanks Ben ... yes my first close was a #191 number 4 that Aaron mailed me (191 on Eric's calibrator) I've closed it 3 or 4 times before and it felt super easy yesterday compared to the other times I shut it. My next close was Chad Woodall's #4 that Steve Gardner shut at the Woodall comp in GA (I bought it from Chad), but we re-calibrated it and got #198 (which Steve got credit on it @ #205) Then I went for an MM7 dup that hit #202 on Eric Calibrator which I missed and almost passed out on. Passed on my fourth attempt

Damn, serious crush there.

Jedd

When I got the gripper in the mail from Chad we calibrated it right away and that is what it hit (#198) it hasn't been used much since obviously .. not a rep gripper, lol. Defenite differences in calibration devices. I've noticed this for a long time now ... all of Eric's numbers seem to be lower than everyone elses. Mayve Chad can chime in and tell us who cal'ed it

A while back I mentioned the process concerning gripper calibrations and angered many folks,

got a thread locked, and was accused (off line) of being a "know-it-all. With that in mind

I shall walk cautiously here.

1) Why don't all those that calibrate grippers do a video on the exact process they are

using to calibrate grippers.

2) If you have 4 individuals calibrating the same gripper and all 4 come up with different numbers (sometimes drastically)

something is wrong. The only way to troubleshoot the problem is to first identify the problem

and one way to identify the problem(s) is for the players involved to video their procedures.

3) One huge factor is simply adding weight till the handles touch. This will result in an incorrect amount

everytime. The reason is because of a torsion springs nature to constantly rebound back to its resting position.

This is solved by pulling down on the gripper handle where they touch after you have added weight. For example,

if you're calibrating a #3 gripper and your beginning weight is 145 lbs. and the handles lack an 1/8" from touching,

you can slightly pull down on the top handle to allow the handles to touch and it may be a matter of 1/32" now which

could mean adding only a pound or two whereas if you didn't do this it may take 5-10 lbs. I've seen this time and again

at Eric's. Bottom line is if you're simply adding weight till the handles touch, your calibration is wrong.

4) Another factor is width of straps and placement of said strap on top hanlde when calibrating.

Simple physics tells us that force applied to a given area spreads out and is distributed over given area

based on the dimensions of objects under measure. The next factor is leverage applied to the top handle based on

placement of said straps.

5) Another factor is calibrating plates. What scales are being used and from what source? We are all

assuming people are using weight plates being weighed at the post office. I will not say names but I personally

know of instances where this was not the case simply because the individual didn't think it made that big

of a difference. Wrong answer!

I would mention more of a more technical nature but it's not necessary to make my point(s).

This is why all the current charts going up all over the place could be and probably are flawed.

One individual went as far as saying calibration can never be precise. I strongly disagree! The reason

is because if you can come up with standards for measurements and accurately quantify something, YES! gripper

calibration can become very precise.

I propose the following:

ALL major players currently calibrating grippers choose one gripper and each individual calibrate

that gripper and then send it to the next calibrator without one another knowing what calibration was

reached (I can explain how this can be done if agreed). After each individual has calibrated the same gripper,

then and only then we will reveal the numbers. ALL individuals involved in this experiment MUST video the calibration of the TEST gripper before it is sent to the next calibrator. More details if there's interest.

My final thoughts on calibrating grippers is this: No one has a right to complain if no one can agree

on the procedures and processes for calibrating grippers. Just my thoughts.

One last thing. I will pay for ALL shipping costs of this experiment with TEST gripper to and

from individuals doing the calibrating. Also, being I'm not an expert in the physics involved I have

an individual that is (name and credentials revealed after experiment)who is quite willing to examine the videos

submitted and contribute expert opinion on the procedures/processes.

If this is not trying to contribute to this issue

in a positive and professional manner then I don't know what is.

Let's quit talking and let's solve the problem.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Mighty Joe

Sorry I'm not see. :(

32. 65lb 2 3/4" revolving handle

Hand made or manufacturing? Please photo.

I won it in a contest ... it was made by "Madass" here on the Gripboard ... it's still at the gym right now, so I'll try to get you a photo later

And search "Madass" nothing found on this forum. As 2 3 / 4 "revolving handle. :blink

65lb versus 200lb RT vs 150lb 2.5" Crusher. Is such a difficult 2 3/4" revolving handle?

No more posts in this thread about the RGC debate! It takes the focus off of the MM3 competitors who all deserve respect, and especially...

PAUL KNIGHT, THE NEW GRIP "ELITE" WITH A 800+ TOTAL!!!! Nice work, brother!

No more posts in this thread about the RGC debate! It takes the focus off of the MM3 competitors who all deserve respect, and especially...

I was surprised he didn't have it already...in spite of the fact that he pinches so much less than me

Zing

I really was surprised that Paul only got that now. he's known for fixating on an aspect of grip until he masters it and then moving on. well deserved. I don't think he has a weak point in his game.

I'm going to guess that Madass is Madss aka Scott George

yeah ... sorry, typo. Thanks Josh

Sorry I'm not see. :(

32. 65lb 2 3/4" revolving handle

Hand made or manufacturing? Please photo.

I won it in a contest ... it was made by "Madass" here on the Gripboard ... it's still at the gym right now, so I'll try to get you a photo later

And search "Madass" nothing found on this forum. As 2 3 / 4 "revolving handle. :blink

65lb versus 200lb RT vs 150lb 2.5" Crusher. Is such a difficult 2 3/4" revolving handle?

65lbs was very easy ... not all the medley items were meant to be super difficult ... the toughest of the supporting grip medley items was the double inch lift

I was surprised he didn't have it already...in spite of the fact that he pinches so much less than me

Zing

I really was surprised that Paul only got that now. he's known for fixating on an aspect of grip until he masters it and then moving on. well deserved. I don't think he has a weak point in his game.

Thanks Tim ... and very funny Brent haha ... enjoy it while it lasts.

I am very excited about my lbs total ... I wound up w/ 802.1 so I just barely hit that by a couple pounds. Thanks again everyone

65lbs was very easy ... not all the medley items were meant to be super difficult ... the toughest of the supporting grip medley items was the double inch lift

I hope people also remember that he put in some very light items which meant the five minutes wouldn't be a complete staring contest during my run. I was pretty amused watching everyone else go through the motion of having to pick up a 15 lb IM hub...lol...but I really appreciated that he included those items.

props to everyone who competed. And congratulations to Paul, Ross and Adam.

You are correct Tim.

My apologies for this.

Huge respect for all who competed.

BTW, it was a joy to judge the whole contest.Nearly 8 hours of grip. WOW!

I was impressed with newcomer Ross Love as a force to be reckoned with.

Adam Glass? More impressive than even what one reads about. Adam is INSANELY STRONG!

Very knowledgable to boot. One of the BEST trainers in the US hands down.

GREAT job to ALL and to Paul Knight for such a GREAT contest.

BEST Grip Comp I've been to thus far.

Edited by Mighty Joe

Paul,

No Rex?

I barely moved much yesterday but a heavy DL workout on Friday then 8 hours of grip comp followed by 6 hours of after-party might have been factors...

First, the Metroflex Gym had a great auxillary room which separated us from the main gym activities - a GREAT venue IMO. Paul did a terrific job getting this together and he and Eric always collaborate so well to put on a great event. He got us started on time at 11am which was a good thing: twenty-one competitors was awesome (has there been a larger grip comp?) but potentially time-consuming. I know the photog has great pics and Joe contributed again as judge while his two sons competed. I was to have a female competitor but Joe's wife unfortunately was injured and couldn't make it. Best wishes on her recovery and I'm looking forward to her coming to the next event!

It was good to see all the regulars again and to get to meet Adam Glass and Chris Dezendorf from the board. Great competitors - I enjoyed talking to you both! Sorry Casey Emery wasn't able to make it - I don't think he's missed many events that I can remember. Plenty of new faces too, not the least of which was a friendly yet deadly Ross Love.

I had a great time competing. They made sure there were light grippers for me (I closed a T1 and T2 but missed the #1 - no surprise) and there were medley items that I had a good shot at. There was just a lot of support all around. I was even content with 21st place until Paul announced I'd won the women's division! :whistel [ I had forgotten about multiple divisions this year.] From 21st to 1st just like that.... Thanks, Paul!

The 2HP numbers were strong: 1/3 of the competitors lifted over 200lbs with some really near-misses on higher attempts. Alex posted a status update about 3 PRs - I'll be surprised if 2HP wasn't one of them. Of course, Paul was the Gripper King showing out with two #4 closes. he just makes feats like that look way too easy. Ryan and Adam came in behind him with big gripper closes too. Some of the first-timers got instructions on setting grippers for their attempts; everyone got at least one close.

Ross is just a big strong guy and got a couple of 400+ axle pulls but Ryan, Bob, and Adam had really strong pulls as well. I have to say the Axle event was pretty entertaining this year. Mark didn't perhaps have his best axle performance that day but did give a great demonstration of his martial arts skills. I surely wish I'd gotten that on video, Mark! He was Chalk Boy for other reasons than assisting in the medley... :bow

The medley is the most fun to both compete in and watch. Watching the top guys battle it out all the way to the end made for a really great show. Kudos to the entire field and big congratulations to the top five in both divisions.

Terrific after-party too, Paul! You and Brooke are great hosts - thanks so much!

Congrats Paul for the big W ! Great job by Ross, Adam, Ryan and Eric for top 5, and every one else that competed. I wanted to be there but couldn't make it happen. Sounds like I def. missed out. Sounds like a great after party too. . . . 3:00 am :whacked ? One of Paul after party's almost got me divorced a few years ago. :upsidedwn

I had an AWESOME time! This was my first grip contest and well worth the 21 hrs of driving. :whacked I did much better than I expected to on the Euro Pinch having never pulled on one before. I closed my first #3 during the gripper event. I had never seen most of the items in the medley up close so that was fun. I got a lot of great advice on how to lift a lot of the items before I started. What other sport do the people you're competing against give you pointers on how to improve and then cheer you on while you go at it? It was great to meet all the people from the board and get to put faces to names.

I highly recommend for anyone that hasn't been to a grip comp to try to get to one if it's in their area. It was a great experience and a good way to see where you're at on everything. I know how I stack up on everything now and what I need to work on.

Paul was a great host, he put me up at his place, fed me and drove me around everywhere. Although "when you get here we'll run over to Eric's and grab a couple of things" turned out to mean we went to Eric's and got several hundred pounds of weights, blobs and other equipment. Then went to the gym and spent a few hours moving everything used in the event upstairs to where it was held. (kind of a pre-event workout) :D But I agree with Sherrie, upstairs worked out really nice and separated us from the rest of the gym.

I'll see everybody next year! (But I'll be stronger!!) :mosher

Thanks Paul

For having a good contest. Rendy at Metroflex for being down for us Grippers. Joe Musselwhite for judging and producing some strong sons. Good job to all the competitors and good to meet the out of staters. I want to apologize for kicking the chalk bucket, yelling @#$% when not getting easy lifts, Breaking one of Eric's plates, and any other weak @#$% I did. I promise to train this year to my grip brothers and hit my pr's.