Malice's Grip Training Ver. 2.0

Malice

So what were Daniel's thoughts about bending over?

I've been talking to Daniel a lot about bending over the last couple days and even though my right wrist is killing me I decided to knock out a blue nail reverse. It went down pretty easily even though I was afraid to hit it and just eased into it. I also looked closer to a piece of steel I got from Aaron over a year ago that I thought was 1/4x6 but was a beast (for me) and I've only ever been able to put maybe a half degree of wobble in. It turns out it's actually larger than 1/4 and is either 17/64 or 9/32 so I'll take it to work tomorrow and measure it with my calipers to see what it actually is. My goal for next year is to kill a red nail reverse so I can't wait for my wrist to get feeling better so I can start getting to some serious bending.

Just bending in general. He started bending again and he's been giving me advice and answering a bunch of newb questions for me.

12/16/11

Squats...it's what's for breakfast

Let me start off by saying that I did NOT want to get out of bed this morning because it was the 3rd day in a row of barely any sleep. I decided to go to the gym anyway for squats since my POS "power" rack is only rated for 300# and my last set was supposed to be 310 for max reps. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to eat because I was running low on time so that made me feel even weaker. Needless to say I knocked out squats and left. I still managed a PL squat PR but not one that I'm really happy with since I was hoping for at least 2 more reps. At least it wasn't conditioning that was my limit today :)

PL Squats

135x10

185x5

225x3

240x3

275x3

310x9 (PR)(402)

12/17/11

World's weakest bench???

Bench

45x20

95x20

135x38 (PR) as sad as it is

My triceps pretty much gave up at around rep number 30 and I was only able to will another 8 reps. I'm really pissed off that I couldn't get the full 40 reps with this weight. The sad thing is this is technically a PR because with the exception of last week I've never done bench for this many reps before. The good news is that once I got warmed up my left shoulder didn't hurt at all. I foresee a lot, A lot, A LOTTTTTTTT of tricep work in my future so I can eventually hit 225x40.

Not that I know everything but with painful shoulders, after warmingup, pain backs off only to come back after cooling down...

Maybe add some rotatorcuff work for your shoulders to aid your bench?

Btw those numbers aren't that bad, set next to your goals they maybe are, but 38 reps? I probably couldn't reproduce that, seeing the reps you also did before that. So I think you are doing great.

I've been talking to Daniel a lot about bending over the last couple days and even though my right wrist is killing me I decided to knock out a blue nail reverse. It went down pretty easily even though I was afraid to hit it and just eased into it. I also looked closer to a piece of steel I got from Aaron over a year ago that I thought was 1/4x6 but was a beast (for me) and I've only ever been able to put maybe a half degree of wobble in. It turns out it's actually larger than 1/4 and is either 17/64 or 9/32 so I'll take it to work tomorrow and measure it with my calipers to see what it actually is. My goal for next year is to kill a red nail reverse so I can't wait for my wrist to get feeling better so I can start getting to some serious bending.

Nice you have another goal in sights, you'll get the red for sure

Not that I know everything but with painful shoulders, after warmingup, pain backs off only to come back after cooling down...

Maybe add some rotatorcuff work for your shoulders to aid your bench?

Btw those numbers aren't that bad, set next to your goals they maybe are, but 38 reps? I probably couldn't reproduce that, seeing the reps you also did before that. So I think you are doing great.

Thanks brother! I do rotator cuff work before every workout as part of my general warm-up.

I just ordered the new GHP grippers, level 5-9. I'll throw them on the rgc sometime after they show up. I added level 1-4 to my Christmas list so if Santa doesn't bring them I'll order them in January and rgc them as well :santa:

12/19/11

Shoulders and left hand grippers

Axle Overhead Press-531

45x10

65x5

115x5

130x3

150x12(210)

Narrow neutral grip pullups-FatGripz

I must be getting fatter since these pullups are harder than they've been lately

Defranco Shoulder Shocker

25 lb. plate, 15 lb. DB's

10,12,12 (PR)

Band Pull-aparts-green band

Shoulder dislocations-red band

Grippers-left hand only

I will do these at work tonight and update here.

12/19/11

Shoulders and left hand grippers

Axle Overhead Press-531

45x10

65x5

115x5

130x3

150x12(210)

Narrow neutral grip pullups-FatGripz

I must be getting fatter since these pullups are harder than they've been lately

Defranco Shoulder Shocker

25 lb. plate, 15 lb. DB's

10,12,12 (PR)

Band Pull-aparts-green band

Shoulder dislocations-red band

Grippers-left hand only

I will do these at work tonight and update here.

Warm-up

Trainer x20-both hands

#1.5x10-both hands, right wrist started hurting real bad so stopped righty here

#2x5

MM1 replica (choked to 3/4") left only

5x1

No closes which was very surprising since I've closed this thing many times MMS.

12/20/11

Supersetting deadlifts and tree trimming

I decided to superset axle deadlifts with hanging ornaments on the tree with my wife and daughter. It went pretty well and I didn't even drop any :)

DO Axle Deadlifts (sumo) 531

105x5

195x3

240x5

270x3

305x9 (396)(PR)

Deads is all I had time for today since I had a lot of running around to do before and now it's time for work. I'm very happy with this since it ties the reps I did last week with 15 lbs. more weight so my grip must be getting stronger...I hope. Next week is supposed to be a deload week so maybe I'll shoot for one last axle PR

12/22/11

I bought a IMTUG 6 used from someone on the Gripboard so I decided to do a TUGGY workout at work. I've repped my IMTUG 5 22 times and can't quite close my IMTUG 7 yet so I wanted to see how I could do with the #6. I had to clean and oil the spring since it was dirty and rusty but still managed to smash it the first time righty and after a couple times got a couple closes with it lefty so it'll be a good stepping stone between the #5 and #7.

IMTUG's (superset #5 reps with #6 single attempts)

IMTUG 5

IMTUG 6

5x1-2 closes lefty, 4 closes righty (PR)

12/26/11

Axle OH Press max day

Axle OH Press

20x10

65x5

105x5

185x1

205x1

215x0

I'm a bit disappointed with missing at 215 but I guess after so long of not doing any shoulder presses and the shoulder issues I've been dealing with anything over 2hundo is acceptable. I failed with 215 when my lower arms got to parallel which is where the triceps start to really come in so at least now I know my weakness. I haven't done any direct arm work in quite a while so I think I'll overcome this weakness pretty quickly once I start putting on the Gunz show again.

12/22/11

I bought a IMTUG 6 used from someone on the Gripboard so I decided to do a TUGGY workout at work. I've repped my IMTUG 5 22 times and can't quite close my IMTUG 7 yet so I wanted to see how I could do with the #6. I had to clean and oil the spring since it was dirty and rusty but still managed to smash it the first time righty and after a couple times got a couple closes with it lefty so it'll be a good stepping stone between the #5 and #7.

IMTUG's (superset #5 reps with #6 single attempts)

IMTUG 5

IMTUG 6

5x1-2 closes lefty, 4 closes righty (PR)

I got the little brother to your #6, a dirty rusty #5.

12/28/11

Wanna split the deck?

Daniel Reinard is hosting a grip comp in February in California and part of the medley is card tearing. Since I've never tried it before I decided it was time to start training for it so I bought a bunch of cheap dollar store decks. I didn't think I'd get through a full deck first try but figured I'd give it a shot...jokers and all. I was surprised how easy it actually was. Probably the toughest part was keeping them from slipping all over the place once I started the tear. In this video I actually end up just twisting the final part but the first time I did it it was an actual tear. I don't really have any technique, just grip and rip but it'll get cleaner as I practice it more. Anyway, here's the video:

• Like 1

12/29/11

Not really a workout but...

This wasn't really a workout but I closed enough grippers and moved enough weight that I should log it anyway. Daniel sent me 8 grippers to measure on the redneck gripper calibrator for his upcoming grip competition and I always take at least 3 measurements per gripper to make sure I get an accurate reading. Then I have to basically do a one handed deadlift to move the weight stack to the scale, then one hand deadlift it back off the scale. So basically I closed a Captains of Crush Trainer thru #3 and a GNC250 and GNC300 with both hands and some of them a couple times. Then one hand deadlifted from 80-150 about 50 times. It turned out to be a good workout but now my right wrist is wasted again...mainly from all the gripper closes.

Grippers

Warm-up

Trainer x10

#1x5

#1.5x5

#2x3

Closed in this order both hands before I measured each one (plus my own #3 to compare to Daniels)

GNC300x2 singles

GNC250x1

Daniel's #3x2 singles

My #3x1

#2.5x1

#2x1

#1.5x1

#1x1

Trainer x1

12/30/11

I decided to shoot for one more PR for the year and decided on deadlifts with 225 for reps. Last time I got 20 and this time I pretty much just gave up at 26 because mentally and cardio wise that's about all I had in me today. The goal is 40 reps at this weight so as long as I get a PR each time I'll eventually meet my goal. My main limitation is conditioning so once I start hitting the S&C work it will make a HUGE difference.

DO Conventional Deadlifts (225x max reps)

135x10

185x3

225x26 (PR)

12/31/11

Bench and grippers

Bench

45x20

95x20

135x40 (PR)

Bench felt much better today and I don't feel like such a wuss because I got all 40 reps and still had a couple left in the tank. My shoulders also felt great so I think I'll start adding some weight and doing some sets of 10-12.

Grippers

Warm-up

Trainer x5

#1.5x2

#2x1

CoC#3x1

GHP#5x1

GHP#7x1

The reason I did grippers was because I wanted to attempt to close the GHP#7 at the end of the video review I did (will be a seperate post) and wanted to see if my right wrist would be up to it. Fortunately it was and I got an MMS close with it. No doubt I could have closed it from a much wider set but that'll have to wait until my wrist is better.

Happy new year to you and your family Russ. Great training, nice work on the deadlift workout the other day, your conditioning does NOT suck indeed, as RichAz already replied.

I am incorporating one deadlift workout a week with repwork on my lighter gripday and as a change for my squats. I was surfing the Youtube the other day and found a video of some guys at a strongman competition doing 150 kg deadlifts for reps (about 330 lbs), the winner got 26 reps. I think this is a good goal, to train for reps at this weight. I only have a 30mm bar and 20 kg plates, so that means that when I deadlift 150 kg, it looks like 1500 kg seeing all that metal to the bar hahaha so I think I'll have to incorporate the Ronnie Coleman method 'light weight baby!'

Thanks Geralt and Happy New Year to you and your family too brother!! High rep deadlifts definitely does something to you that nothing else can...even high rep squats. Is a 30mm bar the equivalent to an axle? Forgive my ignorance but I'm American and am totally ignorant of the metric system and am too lazy to try to look it up :help