Malice's Grip Training Ver. 2.0

Malice

10/27/11

Today was a great training day! I set 5 PR's, all in different events. I was a bit surprised with how strong I ended up being today because when I woke up my hands were real tight and a bit sore but once I got into warm-ups they started feeling good and strong.

6 dimes pinch (pinned)

full lift righty-PR, hop lefty

I decided today to take the 5 lb. plate out of my 6 dimes trainer and add the sixth 10 lb. plate and give it a try. Happily it came up fairly easily righty! When I weighed the whole setup with the 6x10's it came in at an even 63 lbs. I tried to get it on video but the camera battery was dead again.

Grippers

Warmup

Trainer x10

#1.5x10

#2x5

#2.5x1

#3.5 (MMS)

Ground the handles righty, barely missed lefty

8x1 lefty-all misses but some were pretty close

#3.5 (20mm block)

8x1-3 closes righty-PR!

IMTUG5 (ring/pinky)

5x1-all closes both hands

4 reps righty, 3 reps lefty

8 reps righty-PR, 4 reps lefty

Last time I tried to rep this thing I couldn't get more than one rep

1hp (2x35+weight)

no weight added x1 both hands

+2.5x1 both hands

+5x1 both hands

+10x1 both hands

+12.5x1 righty-PR, hop lefty

+15x1-hops both hands

+12.5x1 righty, hop lefty

2x35 hula

Right-one and a half times around before it hit my ghetto ass and I had to put it down

Left-twice around

This was harder than I expected but is a good baseline.

#2.5 (20mm block) reps

21 righty-PR

10 lefty-set was a bit off

#2 (CCS) reps

21 righty

11 lefty-set was off again

I was on a mental high for the rest of the night at work after this workout. Then on the way home a warning light came on saying there's a problem with my electronic throttle control. Hopefully it's just a loose connection somewhere which is the case a lot of times with this. I'll mess with it tomorrow and see if it's just a loose connector.

Great work buddy. That MM2 is dead

Russ = strong haha. You are rocketing. Seeing all this guys repping around works very motivational.

Thanks guys! I'm very happy with how my all around grip strength has been coming along lately. Nothing super fast but just small gains in all areas almost every workout is the best ever motivation. Now it's time to put it all together and do some MM2 damage!

Very strong work on the GNC300 too! Is that the highest calibrated gripper you've closed now? And with small handles to boot.

Very strong work on the GNC300 too! Is that the highest calibrated gripper you've closed now? And with small handles to boot.

The highest calibrated gripper I've closed is my 174 lb. 3.5. The GNC3hundo is 169 lbs.

10/30/11

Squats-(warm-up for grip workout)

135x10

225x11

225x10

225x5

1hp

6x10's trainer

6x1-4 lifts both hands

+2.5 finger side x1 both hands

+2.5 thumb side x1 both hands

+5 x1 both hands-PR-got righty on video

+7.5 x0-hop both hands

Grippers

Warm-up

Trainer x10

#1.5x10

#2x5

#2.5(20mm) explosive singles with 2 second overcrush

5x1-my hands weren't feeling strong during these

#2.5(20mm) block set reps

1x20-this is one rep less than my PR but I was fumbling with a new setting technique and I think it cost me a couple reps.

All in all this was a pretty good grip workout today. Set a big PR on wide pinch but in reality it was 3 PR's

:) My 6 dimes trainer now is 6x10's pinned since I can pretty consistently lift that with both hands.

10/31/11

No workout today but when I was at my buddy Dave's picking up a good hubbin' 45 and tried to lift his 40 lb. hex dumbell by one end and got it on video. I decided to try my 50 lb. hex dumbell when I got home and got it too but couldn't budge my 60 so I need to find a 55 lb'er to try now. My left hand feels stronger on pinch today than my right for some reason.

40 lb. hex dumbell deadlift:

50 lb. hex dumbell deadlift:

Every month I'll do a review here of my progress in strength gains and body transformation as well. I've never looked back over a previous month before to see what I accomplished strength wise. Now that I have I see that it is a very valuable gauge, especially if I'm feeling that I haven't really made much progress. I recommend everyone do this at the end of the month so you can see where you started and where you are now. I'm really looking forward to reviewing the whole year come January 1st to really see where I've progressed and where I need to focus more.

Project MiniMalice is off to a good start so far. I'm down 4 lbs. this week...don't know about bod yfat or measurements because I didn't check them last week but from now on I'll keep track of those as well.

The crowning achievement for the last 3 months was taking 1st overall in AZ @ World's Strongest Hands and 15th overall worldwide out of 124 competitors. Not only that but setting PR's in different feats of strength after each leg was very motivational.

Strength PR's

Pinch

-2x35/2x15kg loose plate pinch

-2x35+12.5 lbs. added

-5x10 loose plate pinch

-6x10's trainer +5 lbs. added

-40 lb. hex dumbbell deadlift

-50 lb. hex dumbbell deadlift

-45# hub +17.5 lbs. added

Thickbar

-Axle deadlift 340 lbs.

Grippers

-#2.5@20mm x21 reps

-#3@20mm x5 reps

-#3.5@20mm x1 rep

-IMTUG5 x8 reps

-Vulcan level 17@20mm

Overall it was a great month for grip strength but I am disappointed to see nothing for all around strength. I guess that's because I didn't really do much weight lifting last month. That changes starting immediately, though. I'm going to get back to lifting consistently as well as working hard on my strength and conditioning. I was hoping that the Mash Monster 2 gripper would have shown up so I could add that to October's list of accomplishments but I guess it'll just be the first of November's accomplishments instead :)

This is a strength and conditioning workout created by Ross Enamait @www.rosstraining.com. It's normally done with burpees but since the downstairs neighbor is home I used mountain climbers instead. Also, I used a 40 lb. dumbbell for the snatches and swings which is much less than I used to use but I'm so out of shape right now it was still intense. If you want to try this but want to up the intensity use a heavier dumbbell and do burpees instead of mountain climbers. I only managed a wimpy 12:45 for the time but anyone with even halfway decent conditioning should easily break the 10 minute barrier.

The Magic 50

5 dumbbell snatches per arm

5 dumbbell swings per arm

10 burpees

Repeat the sequence 5 times total for time. It's called The Magic 50 because you will do a total of 50 db snatches, 50 db swings and 50 burpees. This is a relatively quick workout but will blast your whole body very, very hard and get you breathing like never before.

Give it a shot and post your time here in my log!

Congrats on all those accomplishments. very impressive list.

PL Squats

135x8

225x8

275x8

275x8

DB Bench

Couldn't do it due to shoulder pain...grrrrrrrrr

Bent-over rows

95x8

115x8

185x8

185x8

Good Mornings

135x8

135x8

135x8

135x8

EZ Bar Curls

65x8

75x8

90x3-stopped due to shoulder pain and lowered the weight back down to 75

75x8

75x8

I'll do the DeFranco Shoulder Shocker when I get home from work because I ran out of time today. I just got back from checking the mail and BlobZilla was in there as well as the MM2 cert gripper. My grip is a bit smoked from doing bent-over rows so I don't know if I'll attempt the cert tomorrow or wait until Friday.

11/3/11

I got 3 whites on my MM2 cert so now I'm a Mash Monster level 2...yay me!

I decided to throw the choker on my 217 lb. #4 @1/2" and try it. Last year when I did this I couldn't budge the handles.

Grippers

Warm-up

Trainer x10

#1.5x10

#2x5

#2.5x1

#4 (choked to 1/2")

5x1-righty got to about 1/8", lefty got just under 1/4"

I tried the 3.5 but couldn't even set it which confirms that tonight just isn't a gripper night. I think I'll take the night off all grip stuff tonight. I'm happy with the #4 choker work since I was able to get some decent movement.

Yay for you indeed! Nice closes (all three) on the MM2. :rock

Take a grip vacation! Which for you is about 1 hour - LOL

I've decided to start including Big Nasty in my workouts each week so I've been carrying it in my back pocket the last couole days to get better acquainted. For those who don't know, Big Nasty is my 217 lb. #4. Anyway, when I got to work several guys tried it and could barely budge the handles and since I gave a couple tries in front of them I decided to just make a workout out of it.

11/4/11

Big Nasty #4 (CCS)

8x1-no closes either hand but I was very happy to get it down to 1" righty and 1 1/8" lefty!

:cry If I would train with grippers as much as you do my hands would fall off. - doing -

Nice for you to see that steady progress! Good work. Do you carry Big nasty on a leash? Time to tame that m.f. :fear

:cry If I would train with grippers as much as you do my hands would fall off. - doing -

Nice for you to see that steady progress! Good work. Do you carry Big nasty on a leash? Time to tame that m.f. :fear

Lol...I carry Big Nasty in my back pocket so he can kiss my...well you know :shutup:

Who's the biggest, meanest, nastiest SOB ever to step into The Strength Pit? He goes by the name Big Nasty...and let me tell ya folks, he's just that! I first met Big Nasty about a year and a half ago and I knew right away he was like none other that I'd ever met. I'm talking about 365 lbs. of pure power who likes nothing better than to break hands and spirits at every possible opportunity. Before we go any further let me post a picture of Big Nasty so you can see what I'm talking about:

CoC+4.JPG

What?! Did you think I was talking about a person? Hahahahahaha, come on people we all know that I'm the baddest person in The Strength Pit...however, this bad boy has already kicked my butt twice in only two workouts so I thought it was time to introduce him to everyone else. I WILL get my revenge someday, though because I will be putting Big Nasty through it's paces at least once a week until those handles click together.

11/5/11

Jelly Legs/Spaghetti Arms

I was feeling a little froggy today so I decided to dust off an old total body strength and conditioning routine that pretty much turns the whole body into one big pile of jello. It's pretty basic but very effective. This is a timed workout so record your times and try to beat them the next time you perform this workout. I did Jelly Legs in 13:12 and Spaghetti Arms in 11:15. A good goal is under 10 minutes for each if you're in half way decent shape.

Here's the breakdown of the workout:

Jelly Legs

Burpees-Squats

1-10

2-9

3-8

4-7

5-6

6-5

7-4

8-3

9-2

10-1

9-2

8-3

7-4

6-5

5-6

4-7

3-8

2-9

1-10

Spaghetti Arms

Pushups/Body Rows

1-10

2-9

3-8

4-7

5-6

6-5

7-4

8-3

9-2

10-1

9-2

8-3

7-4

6-5

5-6

4-7

3-8

2-9

1-10

Start with Jelly Legs and do 1 burpee followed immediately by 10 squats. Then do 2 burpees followed by 9 squats, etc. Keep doing this until you reach 10 burpees followed by 1 squat then go backward until you get back to 1 burpee and 10 squats. Only rest as much as needed with the goal of not stopping until you finish the routine. Then rest a few minutes and follow the same protocol with Spaghetti Arms using pushups and body rows...or pullups if you can do enough of them. You can use any combination of exercises you want, these are just what I used for this particular workout. You can also use any number of reps so long as you use a ladder type protocol.

Give this workout a try and post up your times in the comments on my blog.

11/7/11

I was feeling pretty good tonight at work and wanted to kick Project MiniMalice up to the next level and go running at lunch with a guy at work. We decided to only go half a mile but at a fast pace and everything started off well until the second half. That's when 4 surgeries on my left knee plus too much fat decided to make itself known with extreme pain. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't finish so I just slowed down a bit and limped across the finish line. I want to continue running once or twice a week at work so I'll give it another shot when I drop 10 lbs. and see how it goes.

Grippers

Warm-up

Trainer x10

#1.5x10

#2x10

#2.5x1

#3.5 (20mm)

4x1-no closes either hand. Got down to a paper thickness away righty and at or below 1/4" each rep lefty which is a PR of sorts.

This was pretty disappointing because my hands felt great and very strong during warm-ups but apparently not for heavy singles.

1hp

2x35's

x3 both hands

+2.5x1 both hands

+5x1 both hands

+10x1 both hands

+12.5x1 righty, hop lefty

+15x0

+15x0

+15x0

+15x0-on all these attempts I got at least half way up righty and a hop lefty.

+13.5x1 righty-PR, hop lefty

2x35's (hand to hand transfer)

18 times before setting it down. A guy at work tried to get a vid on my phone but "forgot" to hit the record button...grrrrrrrrr

#2 (CCS) max reps

27 reps-PR

RT wrist curls

20x10

25x10

30x10

30x10

My right wrist was still a bit tender so I didn't up the weight but it's MUCH better than it's been lately.

Axle reverse wrist curls

35x10

45x10

50x10

50x10, drop to 35x10, drop to 15x25

The drop set on the last set was brutal and left my extensors feeling swole and great!! This drop set is going to remain a mainstay from now on.