Entry Information For Capitol Grip Cup

Guest Bullitt

Tommy I didn't get it either. I always clean all the impliment and put on new chalk at the begining of my workouts (most of the time) and chalk the gripping surface each time as well when I'm going for a max lift. So I didn't see the big deal, but Mike had borrowed some of the equipment and perhaps the owner didn't want chalk on the impliments???? At least we were all on equal grounds for the lifts.

Rico

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• barbe705

• The Chuck

• Shoggoth

was is a Euro pinch or Scott George setup?

Guest Bullitt

Nobody said you couldn't put chalk on the 2HP. You could rub it on with your hands. We just didn't want people rubbing a block of chalk on the aparatus. Sorry if you guys felt that it wasn't run properly. You should probably keep that in mind next year when you make your contest selections. Doesn't sound like this one was run to your liking. Feel free to skip it next year. Hope everyone else enjoyed their time.

And Paris, you might have had higher numbers on the pinch if we let you strip the chalk and chalk it the way you like it for your 4 attempts, but it would not have been great for the other competitors. Also, had Brent and I not given you some tips on how to do the vbar after you bombed with 222 on your first attempt, you would have finished about 6th or 7th with a 0 in that event, so I think you were treated pretty fairly.

Guest Bullitt

It was Jedd's Euro Paul. Nobody said they couldn't put chalk on it. In fact, several people put chalk on it with their hands.

For a guy who hasn't trained the events, and who was at their first contest ever, Parris knows more about this stuff than anyone apparently.

You guys sure do bitch a lot for guys who came in 1st and 2nd.

And Tommy, if we had let you pull with sandpaper attached, you weren't pulling 41 pounds more for the record.

Mike I did not say I was treated unfairly and did not imply it either nor even thought it for one second. I had a great time.

Parris

Guest Bullitt

Mike I did not say I was treated unfairly and did not imply it either nor even thought it for one second. I had a great time.

Parris

Pick another contest next year bro.

It was Jedd's Euro Paul. Nobody said they couldn't put chalk on it. In fact, several people put chalk on it with their hands.

For a guy who hasn't trained the events, and who was at their first contest ever, Parris knows more about this stuff than anyone apparently.

You guys sure do bitch a lot for guys who came in 1st and 2nd.

And Tommy, if we had let you pull with sandpaper attached, you weren't pulling 41 pounds more for the record.

Don't lose sleep over it Rindo. There are always a few complainers in every group. Sounds like it was a great run comp from what i've heard.

Well after see'n the video of Jedd "The Road to the Record" I'm even more upset than I was yesterday.We were told we couldnt use chalk on the pinch app.It made no sense to me at all but I didnt say anything.In the video Jedd put chalk on the pinch app.At the other contests I have been at we put chalk on it.I dont get it.Everyone's #'s would have been higher. :help

Tommy I didn't get it either. I always clean all the impliment and put on new chalk at the begining of my workouts (most of the time) and chalk the gripping surface each time as well when I'm going for a max lift. So I didn't see the big deal, but Mike had borrowed some of the equipment and perhaps the owner didn't want chalk on the impliments???? At least we were all on equal grounds for the lifts.

Rico

Gents,

I was standing right there when we discussed the rules for the 2HP event. That was Jedd's 2HP, the very same 2HP the current WORLD RECORD was pulled on...the seasoning is as good as it gets. Mike told Parris he could not strip the chalk off the 2HP with his terry cloth and re-apply chalk to the apparatus. Multiple competitors chalked their hands and the 2HP with the "pat method", including me.

If you had questions as to how an event was run, you should have asked then and there. Not only do I find it silly you would keep your mouths shut during the contest if you had questions, I find it offensive you would flame the contest promotors here after it's all said and done.

Guest Bullitt

And as far as being fair, we definitely gave Tommy the benefit of the doubt on his hidden, chest crush sets on grippers. I guarantee those would not have passed at any other contest I've competed at. I'll give a "legend" the benefit of the doubt, but I resent the fact that said "legend" would then get on here and act as if he was treated unfairly by the promoters.

This is lining up to be an entertaining thread :yikes

Parris

I had one of the best times in my life. I just said I clean my own equip at home and rechalk it. I'm sorry if I've insulted you.

Parris

Guest Bullitt

Parris

I had one of the best times in my life. I just said I clean my own equip at home and rechalk it. I'm sorry if I've insulted you.

Parris

I didnt want to open up a can of worms.I thought I heard you say we couldnt put chalk on the the app.I'm sorry if I offended anyone.I thought it was a great contest/event.As for my way of set'n the grippers no one else has ever said anything.Most of my sets are wider than the mms set anyway.I dont think I wast reated unfairly by the promoters.It was just a misunderstanding.

Guest Bullitt

You should also pick another contest next year bro.

All I'm saying on this subject. I hope everyone else had fun. We did the best we could.

Edited by Bullitt

You can't please everyone Mike and I'm sure it was well ran by you and Bobby though. There will always be someone who later thinks things weren't fair or ran the best they could be. I've had it happen at my contests as I'm sure every promoter has. One of the issues that comes up the most is the judges at grip contests. We usually end up judging our competition at one time or throughout the entire contest. I've always been fair about it and try to use a multiple judge system. Never had anyone complain directly to me, only later have I heard about some "concerns" - which is kind of funny because it's usually guys who I've outlifted by 50lbs on vbar or something along those lines.

I'll message you (not on this board) and compare notes with you about my experiences with one of the competitors at your contest.

Congrats to Parris and Mike, awesome job on the levers. I did not judge elbow movement too strict on the levers at MI, but the ROM was pretty deep.

Mike, just let it roll of your back.

I am no stake in this argument, but I would also not allow a competitor to strip the implement of chalk at one of my comps.

Congrats to Parris and Mike, awesome job on the levers. I did not judge elbow movement too strict on the levers at MI, but the ROM was pretty deep.

Mike, just let it roll of your back.

Thanks Bob I know you a big fan of hammers! I guess the chalk thing was my fault, since it was my first contest the one thing I didn't really consider of how the other guys thought about chalk, I never wanter to wire brush it off or anything, actually wanted to apply a good coat then (like at home) I just wipe it right off with a cloth so there's not too much, for me it helps my sweaty hands from slipping, which is a prob I had on the vbar, and sometimes have on the 2hp, I was also nervous so I figured a little extra chalk wouldn't hurt since I had even gotten 275# on mikek's vbar the time I tried at his house even with my lousy grip style. Mike straitned me out and showed me how to grip it better then I was ok and got a PR.

Rico

Man, I take a full day to get back to the contest thread and I miss all the fun...HA! My thoughts on things: I loved the gym and I loved helping Mike and Goody with the event. My performance at the event was mediocre at best, my training the last month or so has been POOR. Distracted and stressed out does not make for good training. I would have gotten last place if Goody hadn't had to sit out the last event. Michelle took 200+ pics, shes gonna pull those tonight and I'll get the photobucket link posted asap.

Grippers: I ended up right about where I expected, almost closed a 154lb #3.

2HP: 177 or something like that. Pulled 195 at gripmas..this is where my training had really fallen apart.

Axle for reps: 2 reps....was getting 5 to 6 a month ago.

Vbar: 272 came up easily, then my dumbass decided to try for 302......and missed it.

Sledge: 14 or 15 lbs, did 16 at gripmas.

for the first comp everything went well. except for the loose hammer weights. also, the grippers I "forgot" were actually with us. they had fallen into the spare tire well. I didn't find them until I pulled out the trunk mat to shake it off at home. I'm sorry about that. it left 2 pretty big gaps in the grippers. It was a really nice venue. it was a pleasure to have that much space for sure. thanks to mike and goody for pulling it together. I guess I should have come in earlier on v-bar, oh well.

and the highlight of the whole thing....we drove through snow on the way home. what the heck?

Guest Bullitt

We put a lot of work into trying to make this contest a good time for everyone. I have personally been working on this for months and had a lot invested. Due to that, upon further reflection (and a night's sleep), there is a good chance that I overreacted to the criticism yesterday. If I hurt anybody's feelings, I apologize.

Hopefully we can do it again next year.

Guest Bullitt

Eric has already updated the top 50 2HP numbers.

I have also sent everyone's vbar numbers to John Beatty at FBBC.

Chuck, I will submit your double hub lift to gripcerts.com today as well.

Thanks Mike, Im glad one thing went well for me on Saturday!

You know what they say Mike, you can't please everyone all of the time.

With every single contest there will always be someone who feels like they have been cheated. A lift is given to someone and the judge is harder on someone else. The implement was too slippery. The floor was too slippery.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

It is YOUR contest Mike. Run it how you want. I am on board with Goody, had I had an issue, I would have addressed it THEN. Not NOW.

Many times I have stepped to a loaded deadlift bar only to step back and ask the loaders to wire brush it or get some of the powder off the platform. I have asked spotters to adjust an uneven squat bar or move a squat rack around. That's your right as a lifter. Ask questions PRIOR to making your lift.

-Rick