Entry Information For Capitol Grip Cup

Guest Bullitt

How about ditch the v bar, its a lot of loading and un loading as well, it will save time. Plus I don't even have one to train with. Just a 14" piece of pipe with a cap on the end :(

Rico

there won't be any loading/unloading. it's rising bar. It's also got an fbbc and US records list going. While I'm not a fan of 1" v-bar it doesn't appear very often. grippers are in every comp I have ever been to.

I still think that some kind of time or total pull limit is the way to go. I like the idea of a 6 event comp.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rico300zx

• barbe705

• The Chuck

• Shoggoth

Guest Bullitt

Received the entry forms of Parris and Mike K today. Get em in boys and girls! :D

Entry forms and $ in:

Brent Barbe

Mary-Ann McKeague

Bobby Goodfellow

Mike Rinderle

Melissa Rinderle

Mike Krahling

Parris Janusek

Told me they are coming, might be coming, or are thinking about coming:

Carl Ansera

Chris Rice

John Eaton

Chuck Carns

Michelle Carns

Zach Coulter

Jason Steeves

Frank Snyder

Matt Brouse

Jedd Johnson (probably not, with the new baby coming)

There were probably some others, but this is what I can remember.

Any more votes for what we might drop if we have to?

Right now:

1 vote sledge

2 vote grippers

3 votes vbar

I remember that this was going to be in a crossfit gym. are any of the them going to step up?

Please keep the sledge, I've wanted totry this since I saw Chris' gripmass setup. Plus it'll give me and Mike some good conversation on the way home! Ditch grippers or vbar

Rico

Guest Bullitt

I remember that this was going to be in a crossfit gym. are any of the them going to step up?

Looks like we may have at least 5-10 people joining in. That's what has me worried about how long it will take. If we have 20 people like Gripmas, we will either have to go to 3 tries per event, drop an event, or limit it time wise in another way. They are promoting it pretty heavily. It is conceivable that we could get 10 or 15 new people attending their first grip comp from what I understand. Mighty Mitts can go after the monsters, Goody and I are going to convert the cross fitters. HAHAHAHA :laugh

Edited by Bullitt

Get that one dude with the 5lb dumbells in your vid then we will be in some trouble. Have the cross fitts ever heard of the events?

Rico

Guest Bullitt

Get that one dude with the 5lb dumbells in your vid then we will be in some trouble. Have the cross fitts ever heard of the events?

Rico

Yea, Goody works at the gym. He trains people on grip there. There will be a learning curve for some of them, which is why we may need to shorten it. We'll see how many people actually sign up. It's one of the largest crossfit gyms in the East, so potentially we could get swamped. I'll believe it when i see it though. Just trying to get ideas now. And before you discount them Rico, Goody tells me some of these guys have crazy grips. Must be all that swinging around on stuff. :laugh

crossfit is real big on the snatch, clean, pullup, front squat, etc. and I know some of them use a lot of strongman type training. I wouldn't consider them a joke until I see what they have.

and devon larrett is a big crossfitter.

Edited by barbe705

I'm sorry but I don't think I can make it - I have an Invitational Track Meet on Friday night - will probably not get home until midnight and won't drive that far by myself when I'm that tired. You are certainly welcome to borrow the sledge setup of course. Just stop by on a Cincy trip and pick it up and drop it back off next time through.

It would be nice if the Crossfit people would get into grip.

Guest Bullitt

I'm sorry but I don't think I can make it - I have an Invitational Track Meet on Friday night - will probably not get home until midnight and won't drive that far by myself when I'm that tired. You are certainly welcome to borrow the sledge setup of course. Just stop by on a Cincy trip and pick it up and drop it back off next time through.

It would be nice if the Crossfit people would get into grip.

Understood Chris. Any chance we can borrow your IM axle as well? It won't be the same without you. I am still very interested in any ideas you have for shortening the time frame. I'm hoping this gets a ton of new people interested in grip. Crossfit seems like it should have good carryover. Especially this gym, as they have a big climbing setup there and a lot of people interested in improving their grip. As a first time promoter, I'm more afraid of too many people, than not enough. Maybe we could have a novice class with fewer events. I'm stumped. Then again, we might have 10 people total and this won't be an issue. :laugh

I know how you feel Mike. I never want to leave anybody out, so my first comp I posted here and a flier at the gym it was at, and just hoped and prayed. I had enough friends and family members show up (I made my mom compete) that it went okay. I met 3 guys from the gripboard that day, 2 of whom I am good friends with still.

I had my first comp at a relatively big PL gym for the small town it was in- Some guys that are relative "names" train/trained there. I was bummed none of them came.

Hahahahaha, the memories. I set that first meet up over the phone- I had never seen the gym till that day. I picked that one cause 4 of the competitors (who only entered as a favor) lived in that town, and I heard the gym was powerlifting friendly. At least we had zero spectators, we could look like nerds in peace!

Anyways, good luck and most importantly have fun! You might snag somebody. My first comp a guy by the name of "Thorton" showed up.

Don't mean to hijack, but this brings back memories-

http://powerandbulk.com/Michigan%20Grip%20Champs%201

Again, good luck Mike! Hope you have the energy to make it to MI a few weeks before.

I recognize some of those names as MI highland games guys. another group who seem interested in grip but never turn out. I know that Chris rice, Nic, and myself have all spread the word.

Guest Bullitt

Again, good luck Mike! Hope you have the energy to make it to MI a few weeks before.

If I can get this elbow in working order I am definitely planning on coming up Bob. My wife is very excited to come back to Michigan and hang out with all her old friends. And thanks for the words of encouragement buddy. I just have no idea what to expect and that's the worst part. As long as everybody has a good time, then mission accomplished for our first contest.

Guest Bullitt

If I can get this elbow in working order I am definitely planning on coming up Bob. My wife is very excited to come back to Michigan and hang out with all her old friends. And thanks for the words of encouragement buddy. I just have no idea what to expect and that's the worst part. As long as everybody has a good time, then mission accomplished for our first contest.

Can we get this thread pinned so the entry form is up where people can find it. Gracias mi moderator amigos. :)

Guest Bullitt

**** Event Change****

For time saving purposes, the DO axle deadlift will no longer be for max weight. We will be contesting it as most reps with 300 lbs in 60 seconds. That's 1 minute for those of you in Canada. :tongue

We have not determined what weight we will use for the ladies. We may just contest the ladies on the same axle as well. If this is the case, it will be less weight than the thinner axle. I'm thinking around 140# on a 2" axle. What do you guys think?

Also, for 2HP, we will be making 10lb jumps up to 200 lbs. From there, we will go to 5 lb jumps. For the ladies, it will go to 5 lb jumps at 100#. You get a maximum of 2 "warmup" attempts on the aparatus during the event. There will be another pinch setup for actual warmups. 2 pulls should give you a feel for the setup and where you need to come in at.

For 1" vbar, we will be making 25 lb jumps to 250lbs. From there, we will make 10 lb jumps. For the ladies, it will drop to 10# jumps after 125 lbs. 3 warmup attempts max on this apparatus during the event. 2 if we have a second vbar to warmup on.

Grippers will remain the same, as will sledge.

The medley will be most implements in 150 seconds. That's 2 1/2 minutes for those of you from Canada. :laugh

We will start the contest at 10AM. If you are not there on time, we will do everything we can to get you caught up, as long as it doesn't affect the other events. Please aim for 9 AM, so we can get everyone signed in and ready to go.

I think these changes should get us through the contest efficiently and with as little wasted time as possible.

Peace out!

Oh, and can I get this thread pinned? Thanks!

Is 2 1/2 minutes the same as 2.5? We Canucks aren't big on fractions shifty.gif

Guest Bullitt

How upset would people be, if we use strongman scoring for this? It will save time between events. No final decision yet. Just looking for feedback. I've competed in contests with both types of scoring, and Mash Monster scoring definitely adds some time.

By the way, it looks like Tommy Heslep will be competing. I still only have entry forms and checks from:

Brent Barbe

Mary-Ann McKeague

Bobby Goodfellow

Mike Rinderle

Melissa Rinderle

Mike Krahling

Parris Janusek

Edited by Bullitt

How upset would people be, if we use strongman scoring for this? It will save time between events. No final decision yet. Just looking for feedback. I've competed in contests with both types of scoring, and Mash Monster scoring definitely adds some time.

By the way, it looks like Tommy Heslep will be competing. I still only have entry forms and checks from:

'

I can't imagine anything that would upset me more. I bet if you got chris rice;s spreadsheet it would go even faster than strongman with a laptop on sight.

I would not really be all that upset.

It dosent matter to me.

Rico

Just let me know if you want the spreadsheet. It's quick and easy to use.

Guest Bullitt

Just let me know if you want the spreadsheet. It's quick and easy to use.

That would be awesome Chris. I'll PM you my email.

• 2 weeks later...

Brent Barbe

Mary-Ann McKeague

Bobby Goodfellow

Mike Rinderle

Melissa Rinderle

Mike Krahling

Parris Janusek

Mike anyone from that gym sign up that's not listed?

Rico