Rawbench's(aka Chris) Training Log

cwdutton

Gripboard,

Fairly new to the whole grip thing, so I figured I would start my log to get the best insight on training from all of you. I just started grip training about 2 weeks ago, and very excited about some new goals set forth. My current goal will be to close the heavy grips 250, as I can now do it with my right(on a good day) and almost with my left. I made the ultimate mistake and trained these things too much and my hands are killing me! My workout(s) will focus on bench(me and speed), deadlift(me, speed,grip), crushing grip, 1 hand pinch lifts, vbar lifts, and some core exercises.

Now onto yesterday's workout:

Speed day bench:

2x5 135(warmup)

1x3 185

1x3 185(with medium bands, approx 140 at the top, and 90 at the bottom)

1x3 225

1x3 225(with medium bands)

1x2 225(with strong bands, approx 180 at the top, 120 bottom)..... New pr on this one!!(Actually never tried that much with the strong bands, probably shouldn't have as my shoulders hurt now)

All Bench lifts were done with the 3,3,3 grip(s)

Tricep pressdowns 3x15

Jm presses 2x8

tate presses 2x8(with monster mini bands)

Heavy handle dumbell rows 3x6

Upright rows 3x6

Shrugs 2x6

Lateral raises 3x10

Rotator cuff work 3x12

Heavy grips 100(warmup)

Heavygrips 150 2x6 both hands 2x6 inverted

heavygrips 200 2x3 both hands

heavygrips 250 negatives 2 sets

Extensor work with rubberband

Hands were fried as all get out by the 150, so I'm not going to work grip again till Friday. I'll do me bench day on Wednesday, with some ab work, and mix some me and speed pulls on Friday with some grip work.

Thanks,

Chris

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cwdutton

• MANTHOS

• Shoggoth

• Joefrey

Strong workout Chris. I'll definitely be following your log. :mosher

Thanks Mike, got the Black pipe from the depot yesterday too! Can't wait to try it on Friday! I should have my Vbar from John by today, so the hard part will be to have both of these guys staring at me till then ;)

Also, likewise on the log follow.... You have some strong grip lifts man! Keep it up for inspiration bro!

-Chris

those bands are the shit and so are chains, i get a kick out of using them in a gym that doesnt have any powerlifting know how!

Guest Bullitt

Thanks Mike, got the Black pipe from the depot yesterday too! Can't wait to try it on Friday! I should have my Vbar from John by today, so the hard part will be to have both of these guys staring at me till then ;)

Also, likewise on the log follow.... You have some strong grip lifts man! Keep it up for inspiration bro!

-Chris

Did you get the 2" or the 1" vbar? I need to get a 2". The 1" is freakin awesome. Plus it hurts like hell, so it must be good for you, right? :mosher

those bands are the shit and so are chains, i get a kick out of using them in a gym that doesnt have any powerlifting know how!

I love using bands!!! Really gives you a feel of not only heavier weight, but speed in your press. The only drawback is they make you VERY sore for the next few days. Chains are so damn expensive especially 5/8's chains man, cheapest I ever found were $7 p/ft, but then you need 10 ft so half hits the floor, then you need collars,etc and that adds up!

-Chris

-Chris

Did you get the 2" or the 1" vbar? I need to get a 2". The 1" is freakin awesome. Plus it hurts like hell, so it must be good for you, right? :mosher

Oh dude, went with the 1" Vbar man. Good rookie move on my part cause I'd probably tear my hand off on the 2". Got any tips on that thing.... Sucks because I still haven't gotten it!

I spoke way too soon as I got a knock on the door and it was the UPS man! I snatched the package out of his hand and immediately threw on 100 lbs and lifted with right, then with left. Felt good, but won't start on it till Friday! I'm going crazy as I can hear it calling my name......

-Chris

Guest Bullitt

-Chris

Oh dude, went with the 1" Vbar man. Good rookie move on my part cause I'd probably tear my hand off on the 2". Got any tips on that thing.... Sucks because I still haven't gotten it!

I have the 1" from FBBC as well. It's a lot of fun, but watch your hand until the skin toughens up. Once the spot in between the callouses on your palm between the ring and middle finger gets hot and red, it is time to stop. Otherwise you will definitely lose some skin. I can pull a lot more with a supinated grip, but try pronated and handshake just to see the difference. Go with the rotation and don't fight it. I don't do reps. Just singles, because you only seem to get so many lifts in before your palm skin gets so sore that you have to shut it down or give a quarter size chunk to the vbar fairy. Also, play around with which finger you want to wrap your thumb around. A lot of guys have luck locking it in with the thumb around the index finger, but I prefer wrapping it around my middle finger. I pull lighter weights up to full lockout, but wants the weight gets up there, I only try to pull a few inches. It minimizes the stress on the bicep during the rotation and it only has to clear 2" to be a legal lift anyway.

The thing I like most about it is how fast you can progress. I got mine August 11th and pulled 252. Just pulled 334 the other day. I train it about every week to 10 days to let the skin heal.

Ben Edwards (Bencrush) is the guy to ask about vbar. He's pulled well over 400lb.

Edited by Bullitt

Oh what a Lovely Wednesday it was this morning..... Felt good on the bench till I tweaked my shoulder,so I quit on 3 sets. Did some Vbar and grip work yesterday and it was a waste as my hands still hurt, so shutting down till next Wednesday on these (maybe :blush ). Onto the workout

Indian clubs warmup for 3 minutes( excellent for wrists and shoulders).

Bench:

135x5(warmup)

225x5(warmup)

275x3

315x3

365x3(Normally go to 405, but shoulder hurt)

Diy Bamboo bar with 25's suspended from monster mini bands(Awesome shoulder rehab lift)

Tri's:

Pressdowns with mini bands 3x15

tate presses 3x15

jm presses(with mm bands) 3x6

Back:

Heavy handle dumbell rows 3x6

upright rows 3x6

face pulls with mmbands 3x20

Delts,etc:

lateral raises: 3x10

Hammer curls: 3x8

Felt strong on the bench until the last rep of 365, need to heal up. I'll do some pulls and light squats on Friday. As stated above, grip work stunk(in my book at least) went up to 187 on Vbar with both hands(left wrist was hurting), and closed the hg 250 right and about the same distance as usual on left. Some extensor and wrist work, which was all followed by ICE!!

Thanks,

Chris

Beautiful Friday morning here in Florida... 61 and fog from hell! Did my Friday lower body work today:

Zercher squats:

135x5

225x2

275x2

Speed pulls with mm bands:

225x2

275x2

315x2

Conventional pulls:

365x2

405x2

455x2

finished off with some light good mornings, strong core work, grippers,and Vbar. Awaiting my fbbc loading pin and pinch block! Wish I had a hyper machine or glute/ham :( :(

Sunday morning is my speed bench day, so here goes......

Bench:

diy bamboo bar 1x15

135x5

165x3(medium bands)

185x3(medium bands)

225x3(medium bands)

225x3(medium bands)

Tri's:

Skull crushers 3x8

tate presses 3x10(with mm bands)

pressdowns 3x20

Upper back/lats:

Dumbell rows 3x8

upright rows 3x8

shrugs 3x6

Misc:

Lateral raises 3x10

rotator cuff work 3x12

Hammer curls 3x8

core work

indian clubs cool down

Doing me bench day on Wednesday with some gripper and Vbar work!

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday morning workout: M.E Bench

diy bamboo bar(warmup)

135x5

225x3

275x3

325x3

375x3

425x2

475x1(2 boards,WOOT!)

Tri's

Jm presses 3x6

tate presses 3x6

pressdowns(w/bands) 3x15

Back

Barbell rows(w/axle bar) 3x6

shrugs 3x6

upright rows 3x10

Etc

lateral raises 3x10

rotator work 3x10

hammer curls(w/2" heavy handle dumbell) 3x8

Mixed in some Vbar lifts and plate pinching today also and felt GREAT!

Vbar 97x1(15 sec hold rh/11 sec lh)

167x1(rh and lh)

217x1(rh and lh)

I started to get "hot fingers" and they were VERY red, so I stopped there before a skin rip!

Going to do some floor presses next wednesday and try for a new pr on the bench in 2 weeks! I'm hoping to get 455

With the horrid "Friday" shopping day behind me( Thank God), I was able to squeeze a workout in later Friday night after a nice 2 hour nap. I'll move my speed day to Monday morning due to more rest needed, family in town, fiance dragging me around like a ragdoll,etc.... Plus, I have to use vacation time up at my company or I lose it, so off 3 more days this week. Anyway:

Axle do's:

110x3

160x1

180x1

Conventional pulls:

225x1

315x1

405x1

455x1(Felt soooo good, been some time now since I've done that much).

Pulls felt excellent, still getting used to the slippy axle bar....

Gripprs:

hg 100 warmup

hg 150 3x6 each hand and inverted

hg 200 3x3 each hand

hg 250 2 reps right, .9 left :angry:

Vbar 97x1

167x1

217x1rh/lh

257x1 RH PR!! Not nearly as good as most on here, but I'm moving up quickly... Could have done more if the skin on my ring finger wouldn't have started to rip! Gonna wait about a week before I try this again... Pinch block/loading pin will be here Tuesday.

Some heavy core work to finish things up

My goal was to be able to close the hg 250 4-5 times right and at least 2 left by years end, and move to the hg300 in January, but I have alot of work to do.... Any pointers from the pros would be helpful.

Maybe try to do gripper work before exercices that tax too much forearms and hands strength.

Edited by Joefrey

Speed day today:

Indian clubs for warmup

135x3

185x3(medium bands)

225x3(medium bands)

225x3(medium bands)

235x3(medium bands)

235x3(medium bands)

Diy bamboo bar 15 reps

Tri's and back:

Jm dumbell presses(w/mini bands) 4x8

pressdowns 100 total reps(broken to 3 sets)

upright rows 2x8

shrugs 3x6

rows 3x6

Misc:

Lateral raises 3x10

rear delts 3x10

hammer curls 3x8

ab work

Bench is looking good, going to do grip work tomorrow!

Guest Bullitt

Dude, film the vbar pull next time and show the weights. Send that to John Beatty at FBBC and get on the cert list for 250 +. Great job!!! That HG250 will go down lefty. Keep at it. My biggest problem lefty is getting a good set. My hand strength is actually pretty similar. Better pinch lefty even.

Edited by Bullitt

Dude, film the vbar pull next time and show the weights. Send that to John Beatty at FBBC and get on the cert list for 250 +. Great job!!! That HG250 will go down lefty. Keep at it. My biggest problem lefty is getting a good set. My hand strength is actually pretty similar. Better pinch lefty even.

Ya know, I was just on Fbbc and noticed the certification! I had no idea about it man.... Oh well, wasn't in it for that, just trying to get 300+ lbs on it. I seem to have a similar issue on pinch Mike. It feels like my left thumb is a tad stronger then my right? Weird as all get out, but grippers is all about my right hand man. I'm really eyeballing that 2.5" crusher that John has at Fbbc man, do you have it or the rolling thunder? Was looking at the 2, and noticed the crusher is a bit bigger then the RT....... and $16 less :whistel

Tuesday I finally received my loading pin and pinch block from Fbbc, so like any crazed person I ripped open the box and got to work:

1 handed pinch(don't have a clue how much the pin and block weigh, but will test tomorrow):

These are just the actual free weight added not including the pin or block

35 lbs lh/rh

45 lbs lh/rh

50 lbs lh/ rh(Barely)

Weird thing on the 50 lbs, my thumbs were killing me though, so gonna start a tad higher next time.

2 hand pinch:

100 lbs

110 lbs

120 lbs

Sledgehammer levering with 8lb'r

My fingers and thumbs are killing me as I type! Will hit it again later this week. I do have a question to all of you who own the Fbbc loading pin: Whats a good 1 handed finger lift on this with each finger?

I see the 2.5" crusher in my near future..............

Chris

Wednesday workout: ME bench and grip work

Indian club swings

Diy bamboo bar

135x5

225x3

315x3

365x3

405x3

425x1

455x1(haven't done that much since '02)!!

485x1(3 board press)

Tri's and back:

225x5 (5 board press with isolation and close grip)

315x3 (same as above)

225x3 (floor presses)

3x15 ( pressdowns)

dumbell rows 3x8

shrugs 3x8

face pulls 3x15

misc:

Lateral raises 3x12

rotator work 3x15

hammer curls 3x8

Grippers:

hg 150 2x6

hg 150 2x6(inverted)

hg 200 1x5 rh/lh

hg 250 1x4 rh!/1x1 lh(FINALLY)!!!

HG 250(Chocked) 1x6 rh, 1x2 lh (body was shot, hands hurt, blah,blah)

hg 100 1xfailure

I made myself a promise not to jump to the hg 300 till I can do 5 reps rh and at least 2-3 left, so I'm making progress.