Gripmas 2009 Entry Form And Information

climber511

Chris

watching the hammer vids at you comp i could only think one thing. "what if" someone slipped the handle from their grip and the head cleared the bumper pad by thier face and you got 29.5lbs plus force of handle in the face on a upward swing?? you should have some type of saftey device built in there for the judge as well on the next model or stand back a little farther, you were worring me there.

rico

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

• Jeff Parker

If someone lost the hammer in that set up is was going nowhere. The rails are to high for it to fall out and hit you and if you look at the videos the hammer is not strait on. every one that mised the hammer was to the side of head. Zach was also in the power rack helping spot if people missed. Much safer than the free hand setup I have used in the past at other comps with your arm strapped in with no where to go if you miss a hammer or lose it. I felt quite safe with this set up.

Anyone else terrible at setting grippers now? 90% or more of my gripper work has been in chokers leading up to Gripmas. Had my first post-Gripmas workout yesterday and did MMS to start training for MGC, and I completley sucked! I know I'm recovered because I could still do well in chokers, 2HP and even set a blob PR. I gotta get back in practice!!

http://spreadsheets....y7Q&output=html

Gripmas Score Sheets - If you go to second page to you can see the results as if it was one class and not Open and Lightweight. I'm sure we will have some writeups etc after some rest.

I can't believe how strong people are on chokers. blink.gif Pretty much across the board.

I can't set the table!. I'm gonna get J. Eaton to show me ove skype after I get my computer setup. I totally don't get the whole set thing.

Rico

Guest Bullitt

I can't set the table!. I'm gonna get J. Eaton to show me ove skype after I get my computer setup. I totally don't get the whole set thing.

Rico

Watch it.

Learn it.

Live it.

Gripmas Score Sheets - If you go to second page to you can see the results as if it was one class and not Open and Lightweight. I'm sure we will have some writeups etc after some rest.

I can't believe how strong people are on chokers. blink.gif Pretty much across the board.

This is something I have thought about. It seems like if one could achieve a "perfect parallel set" then the difference shouldn't be all that big - just the fatigue from the setting process maybe. I know my set sucks but I still get close to 40# difference. The guys with the better setting abilities don't seem to get as much difference. The lightweights were as strong as all but the best of the open class also.

This is something I have thought about. It seems like if one could achieve a "perfect parallel set" then the difference shouldn't be all that big - just the fatigue from the setting process maybe. I know my set sucks but I still get close to 40# difference. The guys with the better setting abilities don't seem to get as much difference. The lightweights were as strong as all but the best of the open class also.

-Chad, Brad and Josh didn't compete last year; which helped bring up the overall #s of big grippers closed due to their great abilities.

-Jedd tried for the MM3 the night before last year, which probably dropped him ~ 10% or more in his next-day performance

-Most everyone who competed in 2008 improved as well.

-A few of us are lousy at setting.

I like it because there is no gray area; the gripper is already "set" and all that is tested is crushing strength. The challenge of channeling explosive strength is quite fun for me as well.

Rico

Watch it.

Learn it.

Live it.

I'd not watched Paul's video in a while - he really lays it out well, IMO. Tell Melissa I'm going to be ready for her next time we meet! :shifty

Guest Bullitt

You got it Sherrie! :D

Probably nobody on the board has put as much thought into choked grippers as Teemu. His article is incredibly informative.

http://gripperstrength.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/choker-work-on-grippers/

In it he states:

As for choker close correspondence to regular parallel set, I think you have to be closing a gripper from atleast 1″ distance or rather closer to 1 and 1/4″ distance for 5 singles to get it with parallel set. I’m talking about choking around the handles, this is different around the spring. This is a guideline I’ve formulated through my own experience using the progressive distance choker method successfully with 3.28, 3.54 and 3.86 -level grippers. 30mm has been the actual width for me that’s pretty much guaranteed the MM-set close.

Yeah, Chris, this is what I've thought about as well. It's amazing that some folks can get a 40# jump in a choker. That's NUTS and even though you don't have to set the gripper, you still have to have that high-end closing power.

I think I have alot of room to improve on the chokers. I don't like training them because if it is a hard gripper, I have no idea whether or not I am even close without video.

I got maybe 10-15 better than I could have hit with a set that day. I think I'll have to work those harder.

To get better at the set, I like training with real wide grippers. Certain adjustable grippers work well also.

I have a terrible set - and probably always will. I simply don't find any carry over to other things from grippers - add in that I find them incredibly boring - and you get a guy whose setting technique needs a lot of work. I believe (perhaps incorrectly) that I have the strength to close bigger grippers than I have shown MMS and CCS but I'll probably never know.

Rico

Watch it.

Learn it.

Live it.

I'd not watched Paul's video in a while - he really lays it out well, IMO. Tell Melissa I'm going to be ready for her next time we meet! :shifty

Yea that's a good vid. for setting, he nails Eatons #4 on the video after that.

Rico

I am doing a writeup for Dale Harders newsletter on The Gripmas Carol. So if anyone has any good pictures, could you please email them to me - a little national exposure might be nice!

Rico

Watch it.

Learn it.

Live it.

Yea that's a good vid. for setting, he nails Eatons #4 on the video after that.

Rico

A nice added touch... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what kind of gripper the 184.4lb one was?

I'm trying to remember...let's see, I think it was an adjustable SE made by Acorn? Chris and Josh spent quite a bit of time getting it adjusted so it would fill a gap between the 182-189 range and prevent some ties. They had to remove and replace some pins in the gripper and re-calibrate it (which involved several v-bar-type lifts) at least three times before it was in the right # range.

Thanks Bob, I was just updating my log and realized I had no clue what kind of gripper it was!

Version 2 of the Gripmas sledge lever set up is now finished. The rails are now 4 1/2" apart. It eliminates any "riding the rails" but still offers the same safety system. It also now has it set up so any attempt to "bounce" will show immediately. I'll play around with it and see if there is any need for a version 3.

Version 2 of the Gripmas sledge lever set up is now finished. The rails are now 4 1/2" apart. It eliminates any "riding the rails" but still offers the same safety system. It also now has it set up so any attempt to "bounce" will show immediately. I'll play around with it and see if there is any need for a version 3.

So if i keep training on the platform with no rails and bounce it on my forehead, it will be closer to that, right?

So if i keep training on the platform with no rails and bounce it on my forehead, it will be closer to that, right?

Mike - With the weight of the hammers you must train with - hitting your head will probably kill you - take it easy! :trout