• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

• Jeff Parker

Here's the deal on the grippers and lack of a decision. Weldon is supposed to be making me a gripper but until I have it in hand - can play with it and can calibrate it - I cannot say for sure what it will be - if I have it in time and is in fact what we use - it will be MMS. If I end up using regular grippers - it will be either MMS or in chokers. It will not be CCS in any case. I'm sorry but that's the best I can do at this point.

Here's the deal on the grippers and lack of a decision. Weldon is supposed to be making me a gripper but until I have it in hand - can play with it and can calibrate it - I cannot say for sure what it will be - if I have it in time and is in fact what we use - it will be MMS. If I end up using regular grippers - it will be either MMS or in chokers. It will not be CCS in any case. I'm sorry but that's the best I can do at this point.

Thats all I needed to know, thanks Chris!

• 3 weeks later...

I have decided to put out a "program" of sorts. I would like it to include basic information about each competitor. Height - weight - age - interests - contests etc you have done or won - other sports or hobbies - family - and just about anything you would like to have in it. You can also not include anything at all and I'll just throw your name into it. But I remember the Diesel Boys did it several years ago and I thought it was a great idea and way to get to know a little about people and also get the spectators a way to know a little about you. You can email it - PM it - or include it with your entry form.

Entry deadline is Nov 7th - three weeks to go. Sending them early is OK too :whistel

For those of you who might actually be training for this contest :D - it will be grippers in chokers set at parallel like last year.

Rules

We will draw numbers to determine the order of contestants in the gripper event.

Grippers – grippers are in chokers set at parallel. I plan to have them available from around 50# to 200 plus # more or less (IM Guide to IM #4). Place the gripper in your hand – at this point you can only touch the leg of the gripper that is nearest the thumb with the off hand – it’s already set – you can’t set it any more than it is – that’s the whole idea here – we’ll do a demo before we start. Take your off hand away and squeeze. Obviously you must make the handles touch for a good close. You get four attempts and you may go up or down in strength on your attempts. Not rising bar.

Two Hands Pinch Lift (David Horne rules)

The width of the pinch apparatus is adjustable to suit different hand sizes, but to keep it within the spirit of a pinch lift the minimum width allowed is the 2 outer steel discs and 2 rubber spacer discs, a width of 24mm. Before the event starts, you will be given the opportunity to try it and find your best width. The smooth-sided, adjustable-width disc is held on a 2” thick metal rod by a pair of collars. Extra weights will be added to the outsides. The top of this is grasped with an overhand pinch grip (with no further than a 3” gap between the index fingers) and lifted until the end of the bar touches a horizontal stick placed at 16.5”, measured from the underside of the stick to the floor. There is no referee’s signal. You do not have to be erect upon completion. You must lower the weight under control. If the outer discs accidentally touch the stick before the bar itself, referee’s discretion will be used to judge whether the correct height was attained. Pinch gripping the discs using an unorthodox underhand grip will not be allowed.

Additional equipment rules: 1. The apparatus has to be loaded with the same number of discs on each side, in the same order, and has to weigh similar (max 1k tolerance between the total weight of the weights at the front, and weights at the rear). 2. The heaviest discs should be loaded nearest to the adjustable pinch discs themselves. 3. The spacer/collars that hold the inside adjustable discs together should be the same length. 4. The discs added should be smaller in height than the adjustable discs you grasp, so that the view of the lifters hands are not totally obscured, and the lift starts from the proper height.

Additional rules

4 attempts – rising bar. You must tell the judge if you’re doing a warm up or actual attempt BEFORE you do it. Weights will be added 5 # at a time, starting with lowest called for weight. Largest plates used will be 25#.

Euro Pinch – Any width that a standard David Horne setup will make can be used – the wider choices will go first – narrow choices last. So 24-28-32-34-38-42-44-48-52-54-58-64mm. Weight changes will be every 5# approximately. Please try to know your width before you come. American and WR attempts may be smaller increments.

One Hand Deadlift using an IronMind Axle Bar (with no hook grip). David Horne Rules

The bar may either be raised in front of the lifter, or the lifter may straddle the bar. Hook gripping is not permitted. The free hand may be used to brace against the opposing leg. Foot spacing is optional, but may not change once the lift begins. Heels and toes may rise. The bar must be raised to a point where both ends of the bar are pulled to a height of mid knees or above and the legs must be straightened. The shoulders do not have to be pulled erect, nor the body straight as long as the legs are straight and the bar motionless with both ends above the knee joint. The lift ends with the referee's signal, and then you must lower the weight under control.

Four attempts – rising bar. Starting weight determined by lowest called for weight.

Ladies will use a smaller diameter bar of 1 5/8”.

Weights will be in Kilos (I will announce both for the Kilo challenged among you) so changes will be every 5.5# or so.

Sledge Lever – your arm will be supported on a table so it is approximately level to the floor when standing. The hammer will be in the lever setup with side rails and a “stop” at each end of the levering motion. You will lay your arm on the table – grasp the sledge handle at the end – move your hand forward until the handle is just off the edge of the table. With the handle touching the front “stop” – the lifter will lower the hammer under control until it touches the bottom “stop” – at which time the lifter will return the hammer to the top and touch the front “stop”. The free hand may be held at your side or on the table but may not touch the hammer in any way once the lift has begun. It may be used during the set up procedure. You may place your body so that your head is directly in line or off to the side of the hammer. Any “bouncing” off of the bottom stop will result in a “no lift”. Handle length is 31”. The handle will be the bare wood – no tape etc. Jumps will be every 1 ¼# approximately. I have made a “sledge” set up for the ladies based on a regular sledge handle but one we can start very light with.

Medley – will be judged by the total number of stations completed. There will be two or more platform heights to load items onto. Some items will be lifted to lockout or completion possibly. You may try each station as many times as you wish within the time limit. Stations do NOT have to be done in order and will not be laid out by difficulty. You may use either hand, just not both at once except on items that are set up for that. There will be four groups of 5 items (or 5 groups of 4 items) plus a bonus item for each group completed. Twenty total items plus 4 or 5 bonus items give a possible score of 24 or 25. Ladies will have 2 groups of 5 plus 2 bonus items. Time limit is to be determined, ties will be scored at ties, no tie breakers.

Anything is possible in the medley so come prepared. Any type of bending may appear but reverse, short or longer braced bends are more likely. Bring your wraps or you can use mine. The order will be in reverse relation to your placement at the time.

Gripbash or percentage scoring system. Example is Competitor

A lifts 100# - this equals 10 points

B lifts 90# - this equals 9 points

C lifts 65# - this equals 6.5 points

Chris,

Can your fingers on the squeezing hand touch the finger side handle while your off hand is touching the palm side handle? Now I realize you wouldn't allow some type of sleight of hand set where you ram the gripper into your fingers but if you have to keep your squeezing fingers from contacting the finger handle anytime your offhand is on, that's a bit awkward and I want to train for it.

Chris,

Can your fingers on the squeezing hand touch the finger side handle while your off hand is touching the palm side handle? Now I realize you wouldn't allow some type of sleight of hand set where you ram the gripper into your fingers but if you have to keep your squeezing fingers from contacting the finger handle anytime your offhand is on, that's a bit awkward and I want to train for it.

Can your fingers on the squeezing hand touch the finger side handle while your off hand is touching the palm side handle? Yes.

It's the same rules as we used last time. It's hard to explain in words but easy to see. We will go over it prior to starting but the short course is that you cannot make any effort at all to increase the amount of set from where it is in the choker with the off hand. So you can't have that sort of "pinch" setup with the off hand at all. What I do is this - I put the gripper in my hand, with what is "close" to my preferred grip, then with my off hand I pin it into position in my palm with my thumb while I adjust my hand and fingers to my desired final position. What you do with the off hand isn't really important during the set up phase until it's time to GO. But if I allow too much lee way - then some "feat cheater" might try to pull a fast one on me with a loophole in my wording :trout . Any slight contact on the other handle isn't going to help or hurt the situation - clear as mud?

Chris,

Can your fingers on the squeezing hand touch the finger side handle while your off hand is touching the palm side handle? Yes.

It's the same rules as we used last time. It's hard to explain in words but easy to see. We will go over it prior to starting but the short course is that you cannot make any effort at all to increase the amount of set from where it is in the choker with the off hand. So you can't have that sort of "pinch" setup with the off hand at all. What I do is this - I put the gripper in my hand, with what is "close" to my preferred grip, then with my off hand I pin it into position in my palm with my thumb while I adjust my hand and fingers to my desired final position. What you do with the off hand isn't really important during the set up phase until it's time to GO. But if I allow too much lee way - then some "feat cheater" might try to pull a fast one on me with a loophole in my wording :trout . Any slight contact on the other handle isn't going to help or hurt the situation - clear as mud?

Same as last time makes it clear as can be. I'm a weirdo on chokers and like to place my fingers on first and wanted to make sure this was still allowed. My technique hasn't changed any so everything should be fine if the rules haven't changed.

Anyone else "set" or place the gripper in their hand just by holding the spring? That is how I do it in training.

No biggie though, I think I get why you do it your way, and I did fine last year with it.

Chris, it looks like the 1HDL rules are different from last year- Last year we just got a down signal as we cleared the knees, no stop or pause or "motionless". Am I reading right?

Anyone else "set" or place the gripper in their hand just by holding the spring? That is how I do it in training.

No biggie though, I think I get why you do it your way, and I did fine last year with it.

Chris, it looks like the 1HDL rules are different from last year- Last year we just got a down signal as we cleared the knees, no stop or pause or "motionless". Am I reading right?

Bob - it will be just like last time.

Does the set-up just get adjusted in the rack so the bottom part is as close to your head as possible?

Does the set-up just get adjusted in the rack so the bottom part is as close to your head as possible?

Huh?

Huh?

Sorry, that was a bit vague :upsidedwn The sledge set-up; I was looking at the pics you put up and I understand that platform/board will be moved up or down depending on your height so that your arm is even with the floor. My question is will the set-up, the red metal thingy with the stops be adjusted up and down too? You know to prevent some guys from levering it to their nipples while others just go to the head. The thing that made me ask was the man in your pic seems to be leaned over a bit. If he was standing up straight, the set-up might doink him on the head. So is there a set number holes between the platform and the set up or do you just place it as close to the top of the head as possible? I have a long neck so with a set number of holes vs. the head, I might have to adopt the fall away style just to clear.

If the set-up remains stationary and only the platform moves, the angle changes for everbody; shorter you are, less ROM. So assuming you'll move it, what determines where it goes on the rack? I'd assume you would place the stop as close to the head as possible but I wasn't sure? Thanks

Josh - If you look closely you can see that the top half can't go any higher unless I remove the chin up bar on my rack (which I will for the contest). I wanted to get the pictures posted for you all to see but was too lazy to pull the chin up part off so Sean is bent over just a bit. The whole thing (both parts) will be moved up and down together so that that relationship will remain the same. If the difference is only an inch or two - I have plywood to raise people up (just quicker is all). In reality you can just spread your feet a little and use it without moving anything if the guys are within a couple inches.

Entry Deadline is Nov 7th - get those entries in the mail please!

Dammit, forgot mine. Will post when I send it.

Melissa's is on its way!!!

My form and fee is in the mail, are you going to post a list of who has paid so we know you have recieved payments? If not could you just send me a PM so i know you got it in time. Thanks

My form and fee is in the mail, are you going to post a list of who has paid so we know you have recieved payments? If not could you just send me a PM so i know you got it in time. Thanks

Here's what I have so far.

Chris Rice LtWt

Josh Dale LtWt

Jedd Johnson

Mike Rinderle

Jesse Reimann

Nick Rosendaul

Brent Barbe

Andrea Rosendaul

Mary Ann McKeague

Edited by climber511