Gripmas 2009 Entry Form And Information

climber511

The Chad is competing :yikes I'm predicting he'll close something close to 215-220# in the choker

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• climber511

• jad

• Bob Lipinski

• Jeff Parker

What I might get:

Grippers: 195#

Pinch: 180#

Axle: no idea, don't even remember the last time I touched one

Sledge: will have to play with the set-up, on my home set-up I'm as strong as I was going into MGC.

Medley: a LONG ways behind Chris

I was looking at the wrong list and just realized that Odin was in the in the LWs. I think he'll take 2nd in the medley.

Oh John's going? I haven't heard from him at all. I figured he wasn't going to make it.

I think he finally quit hunting long enough to sign up. It sounded like he'd been living out in the woods - he was either hunting or mama threw him out for a while there. :whistel

Anyway - I have his money so he's coming. He hadn't called me in weeks - I wondered if he was still alive???

In other news - I just got off the phone with some guy from Georgia who says he is coming to Gripmas. I have heard rumors that he had quite a grip at one time and even won a contest or two (or several). Things just got a little more interesting in the Open class :mosher

I am looking forward to seeing everyone...I have not trained grip since my comp this past June. Maybe I can put something together over the next few weeks.

See you all soon

Chad

Predictions

Light Weights

Grippers – should be the JAD show again this year by a good bit. Second will be the rest of us coming in too close to call with a few ties but way behind Josh – most of the rest of us all did 182 last year. I foresee consistently high numbers even when compared to the Open class – the chokers really seem to level the playing field between big and small hands.

Euro – I hope to win this event but my pinch is going down instead of up right now. This is my only chance to gain any points on Josh and Bob L. I’m hoping Zach can get his goal of a bodyweight pinch – and Josh has a good shot at this as well I think.

One Hand Axle DL

Bob Sundin looks good for this one with the rest of us fairly close together but behind Bob by a fair margin. Bob is the best small hands guy around on fat bar stuff.

Sledge Lever

Bob L and Josh for sure with a Battle Royal for first overall I think. Look for a huge number. Zach and I will both break 20 but get our butts kicked big time.

Medley – same weights for both open and light weights

I think (hope – pray) that I can do well here. I’m trying hard to figure out the weights so that the weaker guys can do fairly well and the strongest guys in the open still can’t get them all. I don’t think anyone in the lightweights will get 20 even including bonuses – let alone have a chance at 24 or 25 items. It’s not so much hand size dependant as it is just heavy – all items have to be well within your limit to just keep going and going with no rest and I don’t think any of us are strong enough. Well not if I set it up right anyway.

Overall Lightweight

Josh and Bob too close to call for first – edge to Josh if he gets a great big gripper close. Then the rest of us in a heap. I will need to have a big 2 HP, a bigger than ever gripper close and a huge PR in sledges to have a chance,

Open Class

Grippers

I’ll go out on a limb and predict Brad Ardrey will win the grippers – the way he clicked the handles on my 191# SE at Nicks was crazy easy looking – you could hear the handles hit. But we have Jedd (also closed my 191) plus Dave and Chad here – some big numbers will go down. If Chad can regain top form in the short period of time left – he could certainly win this one.

Euro

Jedd with the new record – he is soooo due to break a big one loose! There should be several guys in the 235+ range also. Brad and Rick will both have surprisingly big lifts here I think. These two are overall just super strong guys – technique and lack of familiarity with some items will hinder them some in the overall.

One Hand Axle DL

I just don’t know. I’ll go with Chad here with his big RT strength. I still think a 200# lift is a good one – much over that will be big with the two events ahead of it. Maybe 215 -220# will win it?

Sledge Lever

I haven’t heard of anyone in the open class doing great big training numbers (everyone is keeping quiet hehe) but all these guys are just so overall grip strong that nothing they do is going to surprise me much here. I think about half of the open class guys will hit 20# or better – I still think Josh or Bob will have the biggest lift overall.

Medley

How do I stop these guys? Other than just make things that are totally impossible – I just don’t know. Dave and Jedd have done all but one item the last few years – and then Chad and Brad Ardrey – so many of the items have to be so comparatively easy for the rest of us to have a chance at them that they are “easy” lifts for the big boys. I have a “Super Bonus” item if someone gets all 20 items plus all 4 Bonus items. It’s my two tall, thin 100# plates for a two hand pinch lift. I have done them one time a couple years ago and have broken them off the floor a few more times over the years so they are possible. At the end of 24 items in just a few minutes – it would be a feat to remember. I would like to see them done even in the “after show”. I would compare this lift to the Inch DB but in Pinch form – big hands will certainly help.

Overall Open Class

I don’t know. There’s some wild card stuff going on that the spread with GripBash scoring makes hard to figure. Brad Ardrey may surprise people – and Chad says he hasn’t been training much at all since his Georgia contest (he has a month and it is “the Chad” – strong is always strong so I’m sure not counting him out). Dave and Jedd are always the guys to beat at Gripmas – usually with hundredths of a point deciding between them. The only surprise for me would be if these four weren’t at the top. Eaton , Brent, Mike etc will be strong but I can’t see them breaking into the first four without a mistake somewhere by one of them. It will be a battle to fill out the top five.

Ladies Class

No predictions – yes I am a coward thank you! I will say I expect people to be surprised at what they do. All I care is they have fun.

Edited by climber511

Im with Nick...if I don't pull last place in LW, Ill be amazed:)

Don't think that way guys. You guys are both strong dudes. Shoot for the moon fellas. You can do it.

Don't think that way guys. You guys are both strong dudes. Shoot for the moon fellas. You can do it.

On the other hand - I think Josh and Bob L should shoot for last place lightweight. :whistel My goal is the same as it is every competition I attend. To set one or more competition PRs - I compete against myself so if I do well - my placement will take care of itself. I see Nick and Chuck with a couple real good chances at competition PRs this time. I know Nick has a good chance at a 200# pinch - a real milestone in my mind. And the one hand Axle DL is new at Gripmas - so PRs all around!!!

On the other hand - I think Josh and Bob L should shoot for last place lightweight. :whistel My goal is the same as it is every competition I attend. To set one or more competition PRs - I compete against myself so if I do well - my placement will take care of itself. I see Nick and Chuck with a couple real good chances at competition PRs this time. I know Nick has a good chance at a 200# pinch - a real milestone in my mind. And the one hand Axle DL is new at Gripmas - so PRs all around!!!

I don't think that's going to be real hard to shoot for. About all I do is AW anymore. I haven't done any serious all-around contest training since the MoTown Gripdown. I should do good in grippers and sledge but the other three events are a total crapshoot for me.

Guest Bullitt

Chad hasn't trained grip since his contest in June. Hmmm. Strong is strong, but I know Jedd has been busting his arse and killing it all Fall. I am changing my predictions:

Open:

Jedd

Chad

Thornton

Barbe

Eaton

(Brad and the other strongmen will be the wild card. Sounds like you need to get some 200# + grippers Chris. :whacked )

Top 3 will all be within a point or so. It really stinks that Andrew can't make it.

Guest Bullitt

With what I have seen Brad do I might have to put him in the top 3.

How did Brad do on the 2HP at the Columbus Clutch workout? I may have to review my predictions again. :laugh

With what I have seen Brad do I might have to put him in the top 3.

How did Brad do on the 2HP at the Columbus Clutch workout? I may have to review my predictions again. :laugh

Got 225 and missed 230. :) Not bad for someone that doesn't really train it.

Thanks for all the High comments guys. My grip is pretty good from training strongman on some of these events but.....Nick, your bending is out of this world!!!! Very impressive.

Guest Bullitt

Brad,

Nick just sent me some vids of you and Rick. Serious strength bro! I'm done making predictions. It's gonna be a dog fight, and whoever gets 1st is gonna EARN it!!! :mosher

There might be 4 or 5 guys within 1 point of each other at the top. The double blob lift was sick for someone who doesn't specifically train grip, not to mention clicking a 191#SE (choked or not). The 225 2HP on your first try is Ok... I mean i pulled 173 the first time I tried. What's 52 lbs? :laugh

Serious props to you and Rick. The way he fought that 440lb stone was crazy. It's great to see guys from other areas of strength training getting involved and competing. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. Nick, we can fight it out in the mere mortal division.

Brad was a beast two yrs ago and I can only imagine what he'll pull off this year! My pics for the top 5 in the open are below:

1. The Chad:

grippers 1st

pinch 2nd

axle 1st

Sledge: ?

Medley: 1st

2. Dave T

grippers: tie for 3rd

pinch: 3rd

axle: tie 3rd

Sledge: tie for first

Medley 3rd

3. Jedd

Grippers: tie for 3rd

pinch: 1st

axle: tie for 3rd

Sledge: 6th

Medley: 2nd

4. Brad

grippers: 2nd

pinch: tie for 4th

axle: 2nd

sledge: ?

medley: 4th

5. Eaton

Pinch: tie for 4th

axle: 4th

sledge: tie for first

Medley: 5th

Brad was a beast two yrs ago and I can only imagine what he'll pull off this year! My pics for the top 5 in the open are below:

1. The Chad:

grippers 1st

pinch 2nd

axle 1st

Sledge: ?

Medley: 1st

2. Dave T

grippers: tie for 3rd

pinch: 3rd

axle: tie 3rd

Sledge: tie for first

Medley 3rd

3. Jedd

pinch: 1st

axle: tie for 3rd

Sledge: 6th

Medley: 2nd

4. Brad

grippers: 2nd

pinch: tie for 4th

axle: 2nd

sledge: ?

medley: 4th

5. Eaton

Pinch: tie for 4th

axle: 4th

sledge: tie for first

Medley: 5th

If it was Strongman scoring - this info would tell the tale. With the Gripbash system - it gets harder to predict - how much you beat someone is as important as if you beat them. I have been guessing and plugging in some numbers and it is close - very close! Winning an event big or doing very poorly in one can really cost you a lot.

Brad,

Nick just sent me some vids of you and Rick. Serious strength bro! I'm done making predictions. It's gonna be a dog fight, and whoever gets 1st is gonna EARN it!!! :mosher

There might be 4 or 5 guys within 1 point of each other at the top. The double blob lift was sick for someone who doesn't specifically train grip, not to mention clicking a 191#SE (choked or not). The 225 2HP on your first try is Ok... I mean i pulled 173 the first time I tried. What's 52 lbs? :laugh

Serious props to you and Rick. The way he fought that 440lb stone was crazy. It's great to see guys from other areas of strength training getting involved and competing. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you. Nick, we can fight it out in the mere mortal division.

Hey thanks Mike!!! See you soon bud.

Chris,

For the sledge hammer part of the comp, you said we will be using 31" for the sledge handles. Is the handle that long or is the handle a little longer and there is a mark at the 31"?

That is the length of the handle - you will grasp it at the end.

• I only have bio or profile information for a few guys – please write something up and send it to me. If you force me to do it for you – it might not be pretty 

• If you are bringing anything to the swap meet – please list it here in this thread. If you are looking for something - please post that here as well - so if someone has it, they could bring it for you. Come on – clean up some of your mess in your gym.

• Josh Dale – John Eaton – Brent Barbe – and Jedd – please send me a list of all your calibrated grippers. I’ll compile things and let you know which grippers I would like to borrow for Gripmas. If anyone else has calibrated grippers – please send the info to me. I want as many small steps as possible to minimize ties.

• Train Hard - your competition is!

Got my plane tickets last night...looks like everything is a go. Looking forward to seeing my old pals and meeting the new guys. Safe training to ALL these last few weeks.

Chad

Looks like it is going to be a great contest ladies and gentlemen. Best of health to all of you leading up to the contest. :inno Can't wait to see the results.

This years turn-out has me going to buy a piggy bank. Hopefully I will be able to make it next year. :mosher

For Gripmas I need

• A gripper between 58 and 84 pounds and one between 84 and 104# - something between a Trainer and a #1 and about a COC 1.5 maybe for the ladies?

• Also something between 182.5# and 191.1# - as close as possible to the middle or 186 -7# please. If in doubt bring it and we can calibrate it real quick – come early of course.

• For those of you following your GPS (some of them anyway) to get to my house – after you get into Crooksville and are coming up Main St. – after the first traffic light, it will tell you to turn right onto Railroad St – DON’T do it. Just go straight another block to the second traffic light and turn right onto Star St., then one block and left onto Burley St. I am the fifth house on the left. You will have to turn around and come back down to park. We will be in the metal building in the rear. If you have heavy stuff, you can come up the alley and unload but there’s no real parking back there. If the street parking is full, I have permission for you all to park in the Funeral Home parking lot across the street.

• I’d rather not put my phone numbers out on the internet but if you want it – drop me a PM and I’ll give them to you. The house number is also in the phone book.