• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bencrush

• IROC-Z

• AdamTGlass

• Shoggoth

I watched your video about the three different v-bar techniques. Thanks for making that.......it was very helpful.
Link?

Here you go:

Thanks again Ben..........it was super helpful for me.

I tried out the 1" v-bar for the first time yesterday. It felt very awkward to me. I started out light, and just did a bunch of singles with each hand to get the feel for it. Weight will be increased a bit next time.

Had a slight griptastrophe last night when I got stupid and pulled a 377lb 1" vbar with no specific warmup. I had been doing a USAWA grip workout beforehand, so my hands were warmed up, just not warmed up for the vbar. Weight came up but I lost it at the top and in a flash I had a stripped callous.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GoalOrientedTr...756131208366178

And for those who want to tease me about my thumb - I've been taking Extenze...

Guest Bullitt
Had a slight griptastrophe last night when I got stupid and pulled a 377lb 1" vbar with no specific warmup. I had been doing a USAWA grip workout beforehand, so my hands were warmed up, just not warmed up for the vbar. Weight came up but I lost it at the top and in a flash I had a stripped callous.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GoalOrientedTr...756131208366178

And for those who want to tease me about my thumb - I've been taking Extenze...

That's the spot i watch. When that gets red, hot and sore, I shut it down. Because next lift or so, it's coming off. :(

I gave the 1" vbar a run last night after grippers and some pinch work. Went well.

R/L: 97.5#, 167.5#, 217.5#

Right only:

252.5#

275# PR

Nice! :rock:cool

I gave the 1" vbar a run last night after grippers and some pinch work. Went well.

Right only:

252.5#

275# PR

NICE! :rock

You're killing me here!

I just used 200 lbs. to play around with my v-bar for the first time the other night. I'm going to try to add about 40 lbs. or so next workout and see how that feels. The lift still feels very awkward for me.

Right only:

252.5#

275# PR

NICE! :rock

You're killing me here!

I just used 200 lbs. to play around with my v-bar for the first time the other night. I'm going to try to add about 40 lbs. or so next workout and see how that feels. The lift still feels very awkward for me.

HAHA! You'll catch up quickly bro. It takes a couple times to get a feel for it. Make sure you are right over the weight. When I started it was too far out in front of me.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned very often is the angle that the palm grips the bar. You can do a straight-across angle all the way to a 45-degree angle or more. The 45-degree angle works very well for my hand. Might work for you too.

Didn't work the vbar yesterday because i'm a little afraid of tearing skin this close to GGC, however, I did pull a new PR on the one arm oly bar deadlift:

285lbs :D

Nice job Mike! :rock

Played around with the v-bar this afternoon after an RT workout. Last time I put 200 on and did some singles just to get the feel for it. This time I played around with 225. Again, the weight didn't feel all that heavy - but the lift itself just seemed awkward. I think I'm starting to figure it out though! The problem is going to be that my v-bar work is usually going to be done right after an RT workout, and my hands are usually pretty fatigued from the RT. When I do eventually go for a max effort - I'll have to skip RT work on that day. :D

Didn't work the vbar yesterday because i'm a little afraid of tearing skin this close to GGC, however, I did pull a new PR on the one arm oly bar deadlift:

285lbs :D

Nice job Mike! :rock

Played around with the v-bar this afternoon after an RT workout. Last time I put 200 on and did some singles just to get the feel for it. This time I played around with 225. Again, the weight didn't feel all that heavy - but the lift itself just seemed awkward. I think I'm starting to figure it out though! The problem is going to be that my v-bar work is usually going to be done right after an RT workout, and my hands are usually pretty fatigued from the RT. When I do eventually go for a max effort - I'll have to skip RT work on that day. :D

Good stuff bro. You will be pulling 275+ in no time.

Lifted 240 today after my RT workout. It definitely wasn't easy. I'll add 10 lbs. each session until I can't anymore, and then I'll drop the weight a bit and start doing some reps.

Do you guys ever feel like the bar is going to tear the skin right off your hand? :(

Lifted 240 today after my RT workout. It definitely wasn't easy. I'll add 10 lbs. each session until I can't anymore, and then I'll drop the weight a bit and start doing some reps.

Do you guys ever feel like the bar is going to tear the skin right off your hand? :(

Good pull! Welcome to the 1" vbar. :D:cool:rock Don't stop Todd, because your hands will get used to that feeling and they will supercompensate with thicker skin to pull bigger numbers!

Every time I lift it. My skin is actually getting thicker there like Ben says. Great lift!

Remember Todd that you can switch your grips up from set to set to minimize some of the skin wear and tear during your workout. I had to do that a few times when my skin just wasn't toughening up from workout to workout as quickly as it normally did. It's only minimal changes in placement of the vbar, but they do make a difference when it comes to avoiding a really irritating callous that's about to tear.

Plus, you'll be building all-around vbar strength with more than one grip!

Good pull! Welcome to the 1" vbar. :D:cool:rock Don't stop Todd, because your hands will get used to that feeling and they will supercompensate with thicker skin to pull bigger numbers!
Every time I lift it. My skin is actually getting thicker there like Ben says. Great lift!
Remember Todd that you can switch your grips up from set to set to minimize some of the skin wear and tear during your workout. I had to do that a few times when my skin just wasn't toughening up from workout to workout as quickly as it normally did. It's only minimal changes in placement of the vbar, but they do make a difference when it comes to avoiding a really irritating callous that's about to tear.

Thanks for the advice Ben and Mike! :)

What kind of routines are you guys doing for the v-bar? Reps, sets, singles, frequency, etc? My hands seem to recover pretty quickly from anything that involves support grip, as compared to crush or pinch where I can usually still feel the effects for a couple days after.

Thanks for the advice Ben and Mike! :)

What kind of routines are you guys doing for the v-bar? Reps, sets, singles, frequency, etc? My hands seem to recover pretty quickly from anything that involves support grip, as compared to crush or pinch where I can usually still feel the effects for a couple days after.

This lift doesn't seem to lend itself to reps at all. I always let the hot spot cool before I do the next lift. So I do all singles. I start light, but take pretty big jumps up the weight. I keep an I on that spot of skin Ben tore. If it gets too red or sore i shut it down. I alternate hands for each weight until my left just can't go anymore. Then I do one prep weight lift with right and then try for new PR. Hope this helps bro.

Started my workout last night with 1" vbar. Lost a dime size chunk of skin on final lift. I didn't give my skin enough time to cool down from previous lift. Plus I hadn't done vbar in awhile due to GGC.

1" vbar:

B/H: 97#

B/H: 167#

L/H:

237#Xfail

227X1 PR

R/H:

237X1

292Xfail - broke ground, but didn't get much air.

272X1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stGJLFKih60

Pretty sure I could have gone higher. 272 came up pretty easy. Didn't even realize I had torn the skin until I was getting ready to try 285 for a new PR.

Skin tear: http://www.gripboard.com/uploads/125201294...092_1168677.jpg

When you guys train v-bar, do you always follow the 2" rule - or do you pull some of your attempts to full lockout? I've been mixing it up a bit.

When you guys train v-bar, do you always follow the 2" rule - or do you pull some of your attempts to full lockout? I've been mixing it up a bit.

I pull everything to full lockout until the weights get up there. If you notice on my 272# vid, I went about 5-6" on that one, which may be why I lost some skin. :blush When going for a new PR, once I'm sure it is above 2" I get it right back down on the floor to reduce the stress on my bicep and the risk of having it slip and take half my palm with it.

Hit v-bar today after my RT workout. Did singles up to 250 with each hand. All were pulled to full lockout. I don't think I could have lifted anything heavier with my left, but I had a little bit more in my right. I'm really starting to enjoy this lift!

Guest Bullitt

Hit v-bar today after my RT workout. Did singles up to 250 with each hand. All were pulled to full lockout. I don't think I could have lifted anything heavier with my left, but I had a little bit more in my right. I'm really starting to enjoy this lift!

Awesome stuff bro. You've already passed me on the left hand. I knew it wouldn't take you long! :rock